• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

k there, finished PQ so I'll have no regrets

that ending tho ;_;

fun battle

you know about the drugs, right?

Is there anything to do after the finishing the game? How many hours did it take you? I'm so slow at finishing games these days because of work, I'm about to run from work and get my copy of Captain Toad and KH2.5HD FUCK.

ohlawd

Is there anything to do after the finishing the game? How many hours did it take you? I'm so slow at finishing games these days because of work, I'm about to run from work and get my copy of Captain Toad and KH2.5HD FUCK.

52 hours for me on Hard. I skipped non timed quests.

I didn't check for postgame content. I saved the clear data after watching the credits and went straight to Toad lol

PK Gaming

I dunno about that...

To be perfectly honest, I haven't actually played the EO series outside of EOIV and PQ, so I could be wildly off base. Even so, I still feel confident in my assertion. As much as I love PQ, there are a couple things that really hurt the overall balance.

1) Naoto.
From the ground up, this character is completely and utterly broken. She comes with both sets of instant kills (which basically trivialize most random battles) and she's a top class magic user (high magic, agility, and luck). She has no weaknesses, resists hama/mudo skills, is able to use support skills more effectively than most characters due to her Speed and high SP, and her instant kills/status effects have a higher hit rate due to her sky-high luck stat.

2) FOEs are severely toned down. In EO, they have the ability to nearly instantly wipe the party with their damaging AoE attacks. PQ FOEs (from the three dungeon's i've played through) lack this. In PQs defense, FOEs are much easier to run into due to how they're incorporated in puzzles, but regardless, confrontations against FOEs aren't nearly as tense as they are in EO. It also doesn't help that they're generally weak (the challenge in fighting them comes from their high health; they typically out last you)

3) Status effects are too strong. Poison for instance, is pretty infamous in PQ due to how effective it is against FOEs. It pretty much functions the same way as it does in EO, but since FOEs are much easier to manage, you can play defensively and win in a battle of attrition against them. The impure reach (status affect hitrate %+) doesn't do the game any favors.

4) Bosses are weak. From what i've played, they're actually weaker than the FOEs found in the dungeon.

With all that said, I still really, really, really like enjoy PQ. Nothing matches the joy in in succeeding with your ideal team set up. I'm definitely going to put a ton of hours into this.

Yeah, I must've spent at least ten hours fusing personas and farming cards alone. I'm just worried it'll be overkill, as a Shura Tensei-linking Kanji with a Death Chaser/Forked Spear Yosuke seems like it'd do stupid amounts of damage. Add Eternal Melody to extend their buffs, and I doubt many enemies would last long enough for the six turns to pass.
It baffles me that you can get the Shura Tensei card in the thirties but need to wait until the sixties to get the release card.

Nice. I'm striving to build a link party myself haha.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't actually played the EO series outside of EOIV and PQ, so I could be wildly off base. Even so, I still feel confident in my assertion. As much as I love PQ, there are a couple things that really hurt the overall balance.

1) Naoto.
From the ground up, this character is completely and utterly broken. She comes with both sets of instant kills (which basically trivialize most random battles) and she's a top class magic user (high magic, agility, and luck). She has no weaknesses, resists hama/mudo skills, is able to use support skills more effectively than most characters due to her Speed and high SP, and her instant kills/status effects have a higher hit rate due to her sky-high luck stat.

2) FOEs are severely toned down. In EO, they have the ability to nearly instantly wipe the party with their damaging AoE attacks. PQ FOEs (from the three dungeon's i've played through) lack this. In PQs defense, FOEs are much easier to run into due to how they're incorporated in puzzles, but regardless, confrontations against FOEs aren't nearly as tense as they are in EO. It also doesn't help that they're generally weak (the challenge in fighting them comes from their high health; they typically out last you)

3) Status effects are too strong. Poison for instance, is pretty infamous in PQ due to how effective it is against FOEs. It pretty much functions the same way as it does in EO, but since FOEs are much easier to manage, you can play defensively and win in a battle of attrition against them. The impure reach (status affect hitrate %+) doesn't do the game any favors.

4) Bosses are weak. From what i've played, they're actually weaker than the FOEs found in the dungeon.

With all that said, I still really, really, really like enjoy PQ. Nothing matches the joy in in succeeding with your ideal team set up. I'm definitely going to put a ton of hours into this.

Nice. I'm striving to build a link party myself haha.

Most FOEs after 2 ain't the pants-shitting terror they once were. The judgement went from "after you've BEATEN the next stratum in most cases" to "after you've REACHED the next stratum in most cases". The "can't escape if your back is to a wall" bit going missing definately contributes to this.

tuffy

Already have a Gunner figurine =P
The big one or the nano?
eUz4MfU.jpg
I know Wave isn't known for making the best figures, but I was still a little bummed that they stopped before making anyone from EO III. All that game got was a bunch of teeny tiny prize figures.

spiritfox

The big one or the nano?

I know Wave isn't known for making the best figures, but I was still a little bummed that they stopped before making anyone from EO III. All that game got was a bunch of teeny tiny prize figures.

The big one. I also have the Paladin girl figure, but not the rest since I didn't have that much money then. I also did pick up a set of the EO3 prize figures but they're ugly >.<

I want proper Princess and Ninja figures pls.

Rutger

Banned
To be perfectly honest, I haven't actually played the EO series outside of EOIV and PQ

That explains it. Balance is terrible in EOI - EOIII.

Naoto is really tame compared to EOII's Hexer. EOIII's Shogun is pretty good too, but the gap between it and the other classes in the game is a little smaller than EOII's case. I hear EOI's Medic's Immunize made damage a non-issue.

As for FOEs. Yeah, they've always been not much of a threat if you have the right party. Hell, in EOII I was running into FOEs the first time I saw them because it was quicker to kill them than to walk around.

I like status effects being useful, this is again pretty standard for EO. EOII's Hexer could go for max poison and for the first stratum all random enemies would be dead at the end of the first turn. You could still kill almost all random enemies by the end of the first turn for the main game as long as you had your other characters do a little damage first. Or you could just put everything to sleep and toss revenges.

Honestly, EO has always been an easy series if you know what you're doing, so the overpowered things don't bother me much. If I want a challenge I'll limit myself. :/

PK Gaming

Most FOEs after 2 ain't the pants-shitting terror they once were. The judgement went from "after you've BEATEN the next stratum in most cases" to "after you've REACHED the next stratum in most cases". The "can't escape if your back is to a wall" bit going missing definately contributes to this.

Yeah, I was regularly able to take down FOEs after reaching the next Stratum (though I thought that was the intent). Eventually, my team was strong enough to take down FOEs mid-stratum, such as when I could take down the 4th stratum Robot FOEs (thank you Lander-linking)

That last bit sounds terrifying, but I really want to experience it.

That explains it. Balance is terrible in EOI - EOIII.

Naoto is really tame compared to EOII's Hexer. EOIII's Shogun is pretty good too, but the gap between it and the other classes in the game is a little smaller than EOII's case. I hear EOI's Medic's Immunize made damage a non-issue.

As for FOEs. Yeah, they've always been not much of a threat if you have the right party. Hell, in EOII I was running into FOEs the first time I saw them because it was quicker to kill them than to walk around.

I like status effects being useful, this is again pretty standard for EO. EOII's Hexer could go for max poison and for the first stratum all random enemies would be dead at the end of the first turn. You could still kill almost all random enemies by the end of the first turn for the main game as long as you had your other characters do a little damage first. Or you could just put everything to sleep and toss revenges.

Honestly, EO has always been an easy series if you know what you're doing, so the overpowered things don't bother me much. If I want a challenge I'll limit myself. :/

Ahh, I see. Perhaps I was being too hard on Persona Q then. I still need to beat it + try the other EO games before comparing them.

Yeah, I was regularly able to take down FOEs after reaching the next Stratum (though I thought that was the intent). Eventually, my team was strong enough to take down FOEs mid-stratum, such as when I could take down the 4th stratum Robot FOEs (thank you Lander-linking)

That last bit sounds terrifying, but I really want to experience it.

Ahh, I see. Perhaps I was being too hard on Persona Q then. I still need to beat it + try the other EO games before comparing them.

One, it promotes the preperation angle others are saying. If you're not BUILT to take these guys down, do NOT engauge. Two, it promotes awareness of the environment of the labyrinth, the positioning, and planning outside of battle. They truly are bosses running around that could end you quick.

Shiina

That goes for pretty much every series in this genre. I can't think of one that is still difficult even if you know what you're doing.

Zweizer

Banned
The big one. I also have the Paladin girl figure, but not the rest since I didn't have that much money then. I also did pick up a set of the EO3 prize figures but they're ugly >.<

I want proper Princess and Ninja figures pls.

Aren't the Paladin and Gunner figures sold out?

I wish I could get one.

Zweizer

Banned
I got it back when they were new. I think there was a re-release but that was some time ago too. They're out of production now.

There are some sites that sell them for 50+ bucks (no idea how reputable they are though). I'm not that crazy about figurines, but I should get the Shishou one someday.

spiritfox

Setting subsclass is very hard. I don't which should I choose for Landskecht, Fortress and Sniper. Any suggestion?

What kind of Landshark? If links, Runemaster, if not, Bushi. Fortress works well with Dancer for evade, and Sniper, Arcanist for Releasal.

When in doubt, Bushi.

Shengar

What kind of Landshark? If links, Runemaster, if not, Bushi. Fortress works well with Dancer for evade, and Sniper, Arcanist for Releasal.

When in doubt, Bushi.

The slang is landshark? Is it just for typing convenience or is there anything else behind it lol
Runemaster seems a solid choice since my landshark heavily invested in link skills, but that mean there will be three runemaster since my medic also subbed it. Maybe I should see what skills offered by Bushi first. Similar situation also where my runemaster already subbed as arcanist, I wonder if the circle can be stacked?

spiritfox

The slang is landshark? Is it just for typing convenience or is there anything else behind it lol
Runemaster seems a solid choice since my landshark heavily invested in link skills, but that mean there will be three runemaster since my medic also subbed it. Maybe I should see what skills offered by Bushi first. Similar situation also where my runemaster already subbed as arcanist, I wonder if the circle can be stacked?

Landshark just sounds cool, I dunno. It's easier to remember than Landsknecht though.

Circles cannot be stacked. The new circle will replace the old one entirely when cast. Just keep in mind that you should just focus on 1 or 2 skills on your sub as a way to compliment your existing skills. Unlike EO3, it's not as viable to treat your subclass as a full additional class.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im not the popular opinion but truthfully these types of games are better off being played with you thinking for yourself, reason being is that so you can understand what type of player you are, instead of having others play for you with their play style.

In general these Wizardry type of games are huge personality tests basically. As you are given a bunch of tools (the various classes) laid out before you and after picking up 5 pieces you are kicked into a dungeon. Sure there are adjustments to be made and whatnot but thats all your own doing and by learning of what is necessary for the next step or how you think you can improve your own situation within the dungeon.

Zweizer

Banned
The personality angle is a pretty interesting interpretation of the games, but I think it's more of a consequence of the games' balance than something directly planned by the developers.

All in all every player has different expectations of the games. I personally think it's fine to give advice to people as long as we don't force them to take a particular road, but rather model the suggestions around what's already been undertook by the players.

spiritfox

While I agree that people should experiment and choose what they want to do, if they ask for help I'll want to help them too. As a game that's over a year old, pretty much everything has been discovered and tried, so might as well share with them the information we have if they ask for it.

Well, EO4 is the most balanced of the games, so unless you massively screw yourself up you can finish the game with whatever party you choose to run.

omlet

Setting subsclass is very hard. I don't which should I choose for Landskecht, Fortress and Sniper. Any suggestion?

Runemaster (if links) or Bushi (if not), Dancer, and Arcanist or Bushi.

Change your medic's sub to Arcanist instead of Runemaster and your Runemaster's sub to Bushi or Imperial.

Well, I beat my playthrough of NG+ in Etrian Untold. I was getting hit hard by FOEs so I switched it back to picnic mode at the end and that made the final boss way too easy. I don't have a protector on my team, so maybe that was why I couldn't take much damage. I was getting way to hard even with decent armors for defense. What's up with that? I can't even imagine how hard they would hit on hard mode.

Even with troubadour's defense buff, I was getting hit hard. Some FOEs have way too much hp too. I'm not sure if my team was unbalanced, I was using: Dark Hunter/ Highlander in front, and Alchemist/ Survivalist/ Troubadour in the back.

I didn't really like the sixth stratum either, so I may start my replay of EO IV soon.

Is the list of classes gone from the OP? I liked that part a lot.

omlet

Well, I beat my playthrough of NG+ in Etrian Untold. I was getting hit hard by FOEs so I switched it back to picnic mode at the end and that made the final boss way too easy. I don't have a protector on my team, so maybe that was why I couldn't take much damage. I was getting way to hard even with decent armors for defense. What's up with that? I can't even imagine how hard they would hit on hard mode.

Even with troubadour's defense buff, I was getting hit hard. Some FOEs have way too much hp too. I'm not sure if my team was unbalanced, I was using: Dark Hunter/ Highlander in front, and Alchemist/ Survivalist/ Troubadour in the back.
I beat the game on Expert classic mode but I used a Paladin. Final stratum is easier with a paladin in your party to use elemental shield skills, but troubadour using elemental dances can also work. Defense buffs are a waste of time IMO.

Survivalists are kind of meh in Untold at endgame for damage. They were better in the original game. Having neither a real tank nor a real healer is gonna make for a hard time in there. I won't say "you can't beat the 6th stratum without a paladin" but trying to do it without someone who can use elemental shield skills is really asking for pain (and outright death against the postgame boss).

By level 80, my party was farming glowing FOEs in there for that juicy 999999 exp. On expert difficulty.

As for final stratum FOEs...

Turtles - Super easy to farm for exp. They spam fire breath so just block fire attacks every turn. Alchemist and Highlander with spear assist can take them down in a few turns.

Songbirds - Also really easy to farm for exp. They spam elemental attacks and summon adds constantly, so block attacks and use multi-target attacks to take them all down at once.

Raptors - Do not even fight these outside of hunting them specifically for their conditional drop. They are brutal and aren't good for farming exp. Learn how to avoid them rather than turning down the difficulty. :p

Depth Dancers - Same as the raptors until you are past level 90ish or so, then if you know what you're doing they become easier to burn down and farm for exp, but it's still risky. As long as you aren't getting ambushed by them they're not too bad once you don't get killed in one hit by their beak attacks. Full disclosure/protip: These are the best way in the game that I know of to quickly level up... on picnic mode with the cordial that boosts rare FOE rate, you can get retired/new characters up to speed suuuuper fast by fighting these golden spawns of these for 999999 exp as long as you know how to handle them.

Is the list of classes gone from the OP? I liked that part a lot.
Yeah, it is for now... unfortunately with that there there was no room for anything else because it was taking up like 7000 characters. I am hoping to bring it back in some form at some point, like maybe as group images or something.

Sounds fab. I'll make something soon with all the classes per game then!
We really were hurting for space but I too loved the huge wall of classes and descriptions. :p

omlet

You can change subclass?

Having a character rest at the guild removes their subclass and resets their skill points so you can pick another subclass and redistribute their points.

Sounds fab. I'll make something soon with all the classes per game then!
We really were hurting for space but I too loved the huge wall of classes and descriptions. :p

I will PM you the big chunk that was cut just in case you need it. I still have the markup saved in a text file. Don't have to use all the descriptions I wrote up if you don't want to. If you do want to include the text in the image(s), let me know because I might add some more description to a few classes (stuff I had written in before but trimmed due to space constraints).

Shengar

Having a character rest at the guild removes their subclass and resets their skill points so you can pick another subclass and redistribute their points.

I should listen closely to what the guild master said lol
I'm still in Land 3, have yet to unlock land 4 so Imperial is out of question.But since it seems that you can change subclass easily, I'll tinkering with what I have first.

I can't imagine the horror of Rare FOE (if rareness is already there) in EO I and II since in IV they always crapped my team.

I should listen closely to what the guild master said lol
I'm still in Land 3, have yet to unlock land 4 so Imperial is out of question.But since it seems that you can change subclass easily, I'll tinkering with what I have first.

I can't imagine the horror of Rare FOE (if rareness is already there) in EO I and II since in IV they always crapped my team.

Nah, that's a new one for 4, and a fun one!

omlet

I really miss the "can't run away if your back is to the wall in a FOE battle" thing. Shame on them for taking that out in later games.

RangerBAD

Im not the popular opinion but truthfully these types of games are better off being played with you thinking for yourself, reason being is that so you can understand what type of player you are, instead of having others play for you with their play style.

In general these Wizardry type of games are huge personality tests basically. As you are given a bunch of tools (the various classes) laid out before you and after picking up 5 pieces you are kicked into a dungeon. Sure there are adjustments to be made and whatnot but thats all your own doing and by learning of what is necessary for the next step or how you think you can improve your own situation within the dungeon.

I just stubbornly push through with my party rather than use rest. I always end up with a lot of the wrong skills. lol Some people raise new character, but I never do. Sort of wish I did take the time to do that. I sometimes (read: all the time) use maps.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just stubbornly push through with my party rather than use rest. I always end up with a lot of the wrong skills. lol Some people raise new character, but I never do. Sort of wish I did take the time to do that. I sometimes (read: all the time) use maps.

in the elminage games for example i always had to have a sub party ready for when something terrible happened to the main one and i needed to go and drag their corpses back to the church lol

omlet

That's sounds terrifying lol
It was. FOEs were serious business in the first two games. You really had to pick your battles and know when it was best to just avoid even getting entangled in a fight at all.

What's that?
The evil bird FOEs in the EOU that spawn endlessly from the sides of the walls and chase you. I had several game overs to them on Expert mode. They don't mess around.

Rutger

Banned

Well, every FOE in EOII would be dead in one or two turns, so that doesn't sound bad. Maybe they would even give exp!

Anustart

My will to continue on has dwindled. I need to beat Fallen One and Warped Savior, but it seems only boring grinding remains to do so :(

Top Bottom