• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

As great as this track is, I always liked Raging Waves more. Dat FM synth.
Agreed. I mentioned it in the other thread, but it just doesn't sound the same outside of the PC-88 style.

I'm actually kinda anxious about the future of the series' music. As beautiful as some of EO4's tracks are, they feel more and more like a Persona soundtrack and less and less like Etrian Odyssey. And I don't think we're going to go back to the synth (which is Koshiro's biggest strength), judging from the recent games and the radically different concept art for EO5.

Zweizer

Banned
Agreed. I mentioned it in the other thread, but it just doesn't sound the same outside of the PC-88 style.

I'm actually kinda anxious about the future of the series' music. As beautiful as some of EO4's tracks are, they feel more and more like a Persona soundtrack and less and less like Etrian Odyssey. And I don't think we're going to go back to the synth (which is Koshiro's biggest strength), judging from the recent games and the radically different concept art for EO5.

Hopefully we get a synth-sounding orchestrated soundtrack, just like EO2 had a more elaborate orchestra-sounding synth soundtrack (I'm not sure if I'm making sense here...), or a mix of synth and orchestra like what we get from Falcom.

Amazing "True Final Boss" theme, and best one in the series so far.

Well, it's also the only one.

Unless you count that whole business with Yggdrasil Core in Untold, which I'd rather erase from my memory.

I vaguely recall people speculating that EO5 might have space/futuristic themes, maybe we'll end up with music similar to the 7th Dragon 2020 series?

tuffy

I vaguely recall people speculating that EO5 might have space/futuristic themes, maybe we'll end up with music similar to the 7th Dragon 2020 series?
All we know about Etrian Odyssey V is that it's coming and there's some vaguely futuristic stuff off in the distance in the one piece of key art we have. But there's not much to suggest the setting will be very different from previous games which also had some futuristic areas.

Nachos

Well, bit of a bummer. The reason why those class guides were taking so long was because I was redesigning them at a bigger size to cram more information into them, but now my laptop's completely fried. I was saving up for a new computer before this, but I don't know if by the time I actually get it, that I'll be interested in going back to them. All of the technical hurdles were already sapping my motivation, and things won't be as fresh in my mind by the time I return.

I managed to upload the fixed characters image to Imgur, which I posted with my phone, but that's about I'll be able to do.

Hopefully we get a synth-sounding orchestrated soundtrack, just like EO2 had a more elaborate orchestra-sounding synth soundtrack (I'm not sure if I'm making sense here...), or a mix of synth and orchestra like what we get from Falcom.

Well, it's also the only one.

Unless you count that whole business with Yggdrasil Core in Untold, which I'd rather erase from my memory.
I know what you mean. Koshiro was definitely experimenting moire with the soundtrack, and instead of just using pretty standard synths, he was using specific MIDI instruments, so it all feels a lot more lush.

And what's wrong with the core?

I honestly don't see that happening. Even in the promo materials, the emphasis is still on natural areas, even if it seems like the game will be wearing it's futuristic backdrop on its sleeve more.

All we know about Etrian Odyssey V is that it's coming and there's some vaguely futuristic stuff off in the distance in the one piece of key art we have. But there's not much to suggest the setting will be very different from previous games which also had some futuristic areas.
That and the gold background with all of the radio chatter looks like the Voyager Golden Record.

Zweizer

Banned
Well, bit of a bummer. The reason why those class guides were taking so long was because I was redesigning them at a bigger size to cram more information into them, but now my laptop's completely fried. I was saving up for a new computer before this, but I don't know if by the time I actually get it, that I'll be interested in going back to them. All of the technical hurdles were already sapping my motivation, and things won't be as fresh in my mind by the time I return.

I managed to upload the fixed characters image to Imgur, which I posted with my phone, but that's about I'll be able to do.

Aw bummer. I know that feeling. Hopefully you recover.

I know what you mean. Koshiro was definitely experimenting moire with the soundtrack, and instead of just using pretty standard synths, he was using specific MIDI instruments, so it all feels a lot more lush.

And what's wrong with the core?

Yeah, it definitely felt more experimental. It gave some of the best dungeons/towns tracks, so hopefully Koshiro tries to be more bold for the fifth installment as well.

Nothing with the boss in particular. Just that the fight against Story mode Yggdrasil Core was probably the dumbest shit of the series. Straight from a bad anime.

Do you think the Forest Folk are gonna be back for EOV (maybe a cameo)? I mean Lindworm was in EOIII and all.
I'm actually super fucking miffed at what they did to the Forest Folk story arc in EO Untold.

- In Etrian Odyssey, you were given a moral problem in that to proceed to your objective, you had to commit a mass genocide on a group of sylvan peoples who were merely minding their own business. Kupala's reaction was heartbreaking after you slew the entire tribe and their god-beast.

- In Etrian Odyssey Untold, the Forest Folk were changed into literally a bunch of rabid animals who were so crazy they were wiping themselves out.

It totally ruined that part of the story. Don't fuck with Niinou's masterpiece. :mad:

Anteo

I'm actually super fucking miffed at what they did to the Forest Folk story arc in EO Untold.

- In Etrian Odyssey, you were given a moral problem in that to proceed to your objective, you had to commit a mass genocide on a group of sylvan peoples who were merely minding their own business. Kupala's reaction was heartbreaking after you slew the entire tribe and their god-beast.

- In Etrian Odyssey Untold, the Forest Folk were changed into literally a bunch of rabid animals who were so crazy they were wiping themselves out.

It totally ruined that part of the story. Don't fuck with Niinou's masterpiece. :mad:

Untold's way of handling the story is pretty bad overall. The whole ending sequence is terrible, fighting vs the AI was cool but Visil and the Core are the same fight, and the whole thing is just forced to give some sense of closure to the story.

spiritfox

I feel like I should go back and play EO1 again. Does Untold's Classic remain similar to the original? Because man, the first game was clunky as hell.

Zweizer

Banned
I feel like I should go back and play EO1 again. Does Untold's Classic remain similar to the original? Because man, the first game was clunky as hell.

I haven't played Untold 2 yet, but mechanically-wise Untold is very competent, if you ignore all the Grimoire and Floor Jump business. Classic mode Expert has got the best balance of all the games I've played so far, and pretty much improves on all aspects of the original game. I recall some bar quests being altered and/or taken out, but otherwise there's really no reason to not play it.

Nachos

Aw bummer. I know that feeling. Hopefully you recover.
That sucks Nachos. Hope you get your new PC soon. Also, make backups of everything.
Everything's back up; I just have no way to access it right now. And the only that was wearing down my patience was the realization that Photoshop really isn't good at handling tons of type, especially when I had to adjust each line of body text manually to make them proper columns. Once I get a new computer, though, buying InDesign is going to be one of the first things I do, so I don't have to go through this again.

Nothing with the boss in particular. Just that the fight against Story mode Yggdrasil Core was probably the dumbest shit of the series. Straight from a bad anime.
Guess I was confused, since I rushed through story mode for the medal and only remembered the post-game fight in classic. But yeah, that was one of the peaks of anime tropes in a game full of them, especially the part where
Kupala sacrifices herself to empower your spear
. They kinda messed up when both Untolds have to specify that the post-game is non-canon, and I don't know why they keep ending the games in ways that write themselves into corners. It's especially ridiculous in Untold 2, since (post-game story spoilers)
the intro features Fafnir fighting Briareus before unlocking his full transformation.

Even if the original's handling of it was more interesting, I still feel like it fell flat on its face, since there was no player voice for actually acknowledging the moral quandary.
It basically just boiled down to Visil telling you to wipe out the forest, and then you jumping straight into it, business as usual. Quinn does question Visil for a moment, but he just drops the issue, never to bring it up again.
I have a lot of respect for Niinou, but I still think he faltered with that part.

Mostly. The big things I remember when I started EO1 after 100%-ing Untold were:
  • Landsknechts are actually good, while staying pretty low-maintenance, even if their chasers aren't
  • Survivalists are godly and are the best damage dealers in the game
  • Immunize breaks the game once you get it to level 10, until Primeval, when it'll break you unless you constantly reapply boosted Immunize 10
  • Classes were generally rebalanced in Untold for the better
  • Some scenes with Ren and Tlatchga were cut, since you had their classes unlocked from the start
  • Labyrinth layouts were different, with the original's not being afraid to keep you wandering in a maze; they also had FOE traps
  • Dealing with the 4th stratum boss is more fun in the original
  • The original isn't nearly as on-the-nose about the main game final boss' true nature
    since Untold literally has a scene where his eyes glow red while he laughs manically
  • Kupala disappears forever after the fourth stratum
  • No guild house
  • Hoffman was removed from Untold, since the inn assumed all of the clinic's roles
  • Bar quests don't give EXP
  • Hard level cap of 70, with no way of increasing it
  • The original was clearly built with the five-party member limit in mind, and tried to create situations where you wished you had a sixth member; even without grimoires, classes are much more well-rounded in Untold
  • RIDICULOUSLY TINY ICON LIMITS

spiritfox

I haven't played Untold 2 yet, but mechanically-wise Untold is very competent, if you ignore all the Grimoire and Floor Jump business. Classic mode Expert has got the best balance of all the games I've played so far, and pretty much improves on all aspects of the original game. I recall some bar quests being altered and/or taken out, but otherwise there's really no reason to not play it.

That's good. I should pick it up after I finish (ignoring grimoires of course) with EO2U, unless I get burnt out first. Also reading all the clusterfuck that is the story mode makes me glad I didn't finish that. Komori rewriting the story to such anime stupidity makes me sad, and hopefully that does not infect EO5.

It seems like you can play region locked games now thanks to homebrew(haven't tried it), so maybe the EU EOGaf members can get 2 Untold earlier?

but I don't know what the hell would happen with the DLC.

kagamin

Never bothered finishing EOU story I just gave in and played EOIV more instead.

It seems like you can play region locked games now thanks to homebrew(haven't tried it), so maybe the EU EOGaf members can get 2 Untold earlier?

You can't access the eShop during homebrew in its current state from what i read on the site so DLC would not even be downloadable because it downloads through the game cart for 3DS games and connects while you're in the menu.

Anteo

This talk about Untold's story, it was handled sightly diferent in classic (ie Kupala never joins you) but i dont remember what happens at the start of the 4th stratum. I got a classic save at the 3rd boss so I should check it out

I was seriously considering it. Because holy fuck that 7 months wait. Like I cannot fathom it. But I dunno how the DLC would work. I mean I wouldn't need the DLC, but I want Highlander girl.

spiritfox

How viable is it to go through EOU1 (including postgame) without a Protector? I don't feel like running the classes I have in EO2U, but the last time I didn't have a tank was postgame EO4, which had other ways to mitigate the dragons' elemental attacks. Would a party of L/D/M // A/T be too squishy?

Zweizer

Banned
How viable is it to go through EOU1 (including postgame) without a Protector? I don't feel like running the classes I have in EO2U, but the last time I didn't have a tank was postgame EO4, which had other ways to mitigate the dragons' elemental attacks. Would a party of L/D/M // A/T be too squishy?

Not very I'm afraid. Can't imagine facing the dragons and the bonus boss without a Protector.

If you're playing in Expert, you pretty much need a Protector.

EO4 is the only one I didn't have a tank too! My final party was L/D // N/A/R

spiritfox

I'll be playing normal I guess.

Hmm, guess I'll have to use a Protector. Party will be P/D/M // A/T. Remind me again, are Survivalists good or shit in this version?

Last night I made a mad dash for the last boss of EO1 (DS ver.) in the fifth stratum just so I could get an idea of what the battle will be like when I'm strong enough to take on the boss and somehow I had a relatively smooth encounter and took them down on the first try! I am certainly going to mess around with the bonus stratum, but I did it! I beat EO. I beat an Atlus game!

I think that was the first time in the game I was able to bind the head, arms and feet with enough time remaining to use Ecstasy. Twice in one battle!

Now I can really dig into EOU2!

Zweizer

Banned

Hmm, guess I'll have to use a Protector. Party will be P/D/M // A/T. Remind me again, are Survivalists good or shit in this version?

Still nerfed. They have some good support skills, like Quick Step, but otherwise aren't that good outside of gathering stuff.

Last night I made a mad dash for the last boss of EO1 (DS ver.) in the fifth stratum just so I could get an idea of what the battle will be like when I'm strong enough to take on the boss and somehow I had a relatively smooth encounter and took them down on the first try! I am certainly going to mess around with the bonus stratum, but I did it! I beat EO. I beat an Atlus game!

I think that was the first time in the game I was able to bind the head, arms and feet with enough time remaining to use Ecstasy. Twice in one battle!

Now I can really dig into EOU2!

Congrats! Good luck for the post-game~

Nachos

They're support classes almost exclusively, so they're fine for that role, but they don't remotely come close to how much damage they could do in EO1.

MrDoctor

It is the most badass feeling to be cornered by an FOE and somehow come out of the fight victorious. I had this happen twice on my last run! TWICE!

• The original isn't nearly as on-the-nose about the main game final boss' true nature
    since Untold literally has a scene where his eyes glow red while he laughs manically
That's really dumb.

Does EOIV get progressively easier? I breezed through the 4th stratum with my awesome team composition. I'm at the boss now but I think I'll finish the side quests first.

The boss of the 2nd land was the hardest so far.

Sölf

I continued my solo Princess run from EO 3 I started back in march. I am still in the second Stratum, but I've reached floor 8 now. Princess is 44 if I am not mistaken. My team of farmers is 17, which is still way to low to actually effectivly kill stuf without getting oneshotted from harder mobs (High Onnep/High Walrus) or having to heal after 1-2 attacks. But it's enough to get stuff done.

I am not sure how high Protect Order needs to be. It currently heals ~36/round, but it's only at level 4 I think. Other skills I would buff would definitly be Attack Order, as that is only at 3 at the moment and Nobility Proof, which is also only at 3. I also need to get Ad Nihilo and Inspire at one point, at least as a level 1 spell.

Zweizer

Banned
Does EOIV get progressively easier? I breezed through the 4th stratum with my awesome team composition. I'm at the boss now but I think I'll finish the side quests first.

The boss of the 2nd land was the hardest so far.

EOIV has probably the kindest difficulty curve, and aside from the 2nd stratum boss it's relatively easy.

The post-game content is a little better in regards to difficulty.

Sölf;175791687 said:
I continued my solo Princess run from EO 3 I started back in march. I am still in the second Stratum, but I've reached floor 8 now. Princess is 44 if I am not mistaken. My team of farmers is 17, which is still way to low to actually effectivly kill stuf without getting oneshotted from harder mobs (High Onnep/High Walrus) or having to heal after 1-2 attacks. But it's enough to get stuff done.

I am not sure how high Protect Order needs to be. It currently heals ~36/round, but it's only at level 4 I think. Other skills I would buff would definitly be Attack Order, as that is only at 3 at the moment and Nobility Proof, which is also only at 3. I also need to get Ad Nihilo and Inspire at one point, at least as a level 1 spell.

Glad that you haven't given up! I'd say Ad Nihilo would definitely be useful.

Sölf

Ad Nihilo is certainly important vs the stratum 2 boss. Good luck on taking down that whale. What sub are you going for?

I am not sure what exactly I am going for. I actually only know the game up to floor 12, because I stopped there for whatever reason last time. From the get go I would say either Shogun or Monk. But are Shogun and that Cyborg thingy even available for me, since I haven't finished the game yet?

tuffy

Sölf;175796214 said:
But are Shogun and that Cyborg thingy even available for me, since I haven't finished the game yet?
They'll open up around midway through the game depending on which route you take. Unlocking classes is a series tradition, after all.

Sölf

They'll open up around midway through the game depending on which route you take. Unlocking classes is a series tradition, after all.

Yeah, I know they unlock when you choose your route at the beginning of the third stratum, but can I choose them as subsclasses after that (or at least the one I choose)?

tuffy

Sölf;175812180 said:
Yeah, I know they unlock when you choose your route at the beginning of the third stratum, but can I choose them as subsclasses after that (or at least the one I choose)?
You certainly can! One option is to hold off on assigning a subclass until the new class opens up. Or you can take the Rest penalty, assign the subclass, and grind your character's level back up again.

Top Bottom