• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Persona Q: Ultimate
EO: Monsters (monster raising/battling spinoff)
The IdolmastEOr

There's so many spinoffs they could make before doing number 5, why continue?

They need to take the Persona route of spin offs before making a 5th mainline game.

Where's my Etrian Odyssey, fighting game, rhythm game and Persona game?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
We need an Etrian Odyssey character action game, I call the gunner :)
I call Ninja.

nrYsurg.png

Parakeetman

Have fun with your action game where you do nothing but block!

...That would be kind of interesting actually.

Thing it was FF Explorers or whatever the 3DS one the Knight basically was that lol.

Considering Im mostly a tank in party play for MMOs, am rather used to using defensive based characters.

If they made a game, Id imagine it would be more a hate system, than actually having to block lol

Parakeetman

I call Princess.

Forever my favorite class.

inb4 why not Dancer.

I remember having a character in Bravely Default with two shields dealing crazy damage.

The princess was by far the best support class. It pretty much was the "Red Mage" of the game.

Was a total lifesaver in the multiplayer mode, since those boss fights were rough lol

spiritfox

You know what would be cool? Etrian Maker, where you can make your own labyrinths and share them with people. Use the map making tools to create mazes and place shit. How is this not a thing yet.

PK Gaming

Etriasona (Persona + Etrian Odyssey)

So check this out

You play as Shishou and you go to school and social link with characters like Medigirl or Gunner Gal.

spiritfox

Etriasona (Persona + Etrian Odyssey)

So check this out

You play as Shishou and you go to school and social link with characters like Medigirl or Gunner Gal.

We already have Persona Q, so going the other way should totally happen. Dungeons are going to be downgraded though.

Zweizer

Banned
For those interested, I spoke to John about Etrian, Persona, DLC, and more for God is a Geek and this one is a super long interview- http://www.godisageek.com/2015/08/atlus-usa-interview/

Thanks for the interview. It was pretty interesting to read about how they handle localization, and I find it commendable that they try to give out review copies as early as possible.

I do wonder if we're reaching a saturating point for Etrian titles. I'd say it's a matter of proper timing.

And hopefully there won't ever be another SMT4 situation for Europe!

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Thanks for the interview. It was pretty interesting to read about how they handle localization, and I find it commendable that they try to give out review copies as early as possible.

Yeah - it's been an issue for a lot of reviewers. Realistically, we're not going to compete against titles like Arkham Knight, Witcher III, etc. for their time, unless there's "Persona" in the game title. And even then, we're still not first in the priority list.

And from my perspective, it's impossible to review a game based on just an hour or two of playing. Can you imagine trying to evaluate an Etrian title after playing the first 3 floors? Impossible. So I've been working to try and give people the titles as early as possible. EO2U actually is my record for longest review period.

I do wonder if we're reaching a saturating point for Etrian titles. I'd say it's a matter of proper timing.

Good question. I'd like to think that we're growing a fan base, but I have launched more Etrian games in my time at ATLUS than any other franchise, and since they're so niche to begin with, I don't know if we've hit a plateau or not.

And hopefully there won't ever be another SMT4 situation for Europe!

NEVAR FORGET.

I hope you guys at Atlus are happy with how well 2U was received by reviewers.

I'd give it a 10/10 for not fucking Classic mode and fixing the Grimoire system.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah - it's been an issue for a lot of reviewers. Realistically, we're not going to compete against titles like Arkham Knight, Witcher III, etc. for their time, unless there's "Persona" in the game title. And even then, we're still not first in the priority list.

And from my perspective, it's impossible to review a game based on just an hour or two of playing. Can you imagine trying to evaluate an Etrian title after playing the first 3 floors? Impossible. So I've been working to try and give people the titles as early as possible. EO2U actually is my record for longest review period.

Yeah, it's just a shame that a lot of publishers can't seem to be able to afford to do the same.

Good question. I'd like to think that we're growing a fan base, but I have launched more Etrian games in my time at ATLUS than any other franchise, and since they're so niche to begin with, I don't know if we've hit a plateau or not.

Hopefully the various crossovers titles and the Untold games were able to reach a wider demographic~

NEVAR FORGET.

It still hurts ( ; _ ;)

Nachos

Am I crazy in thinking that the grimoire system in 2U is better than subclassing? It still needs some improvement in terms of how you actually get new stones, but in terms of how they work once you have them, I think they're a lot more fun.

Am I crazy in thinking that the grimoire system in 2U is better than subclassing? It still needs some improvement in terms of how you actually get new stones, but in terms of how they work once you have them, I think they're a lot more fun.

I need to play the game more, but I'd be fine if they got rid of Subclassing in general if they made an even better Grimoire system instead.

tuffy

Grimoire Stones are massively improved in EO:U2 since they're straightforward to use and it's easy to mix in a few additional skills. But I would still prefer proper subclassing for EO5 simply because there's no RNG involved; if you have enough points, you can build it.

Though they could mix both Grimoire Stones and subclasses into the same game for maximum brokenness.

Shiina

It's a decent, good even, system now but I don't think it can keep up with subclassing. Experimenting with subclasses was just a lot more fun than deciding which skills you want to have buffed for the next boss fight.

Even though it was improved upon a to in EOU2 compared to EOU I don't think I really want to see the system again. If EOV doesn't have subclasses then I hope it has this Seiken Densetsu 3 style class change tree with different sprites for the specialized characters.

flowchart.png

Maybe you'd get a mini skill tree on the side (think subclassing) with different skills depending on the specialization you pick. That would also make balancing the system easier, some subclass combinations were rather powerful.

Grimoire Stones are massively improved in EO:U2 since they're straightforward to use and it's easy to mix in a few additional skills. But I would still prefer proper subclassing for EO5 simply because there's no RNG involved; if you have enough points, you can build it.

Though they could mix both Grimoire Stones and subclasses into the same game for maximum brokenness.

They should make Expert super mega hard and give me Subclassing + Grimoire stones.

I didn't realize how desperately I wanted this until right now.

Atlus, pls. Do what you have to. Put Miku in it if it makes the marketing easier, I don't care. I need this.

Tbh I wouldn't mind if it was like TFF curtain call where they added songs from non FF games as DLC. I'd buy the shit out of any Etrian DLC. That would be the only practical way it can happen imo. But then I'm still waiting for p3 DLC lol.

Picked EOIV up again after quitting in the 3rd stratum over a year ago. Finished that stratrum yesterday and I'm hoooooked as fuck again. What a game, wow. I didn't recall it being this awesome.

Top Bottom