• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

tuffy

I've got to keep my crew fully outfitted with the best gear as it unlocks, otherwise I feel like I'm letting them down by pushing them into the labyrinth with 5 less attack power or something. If money's tight, I'll prioritize gear for the front line and try to make up the rest by farming resources.

omlet

Towering Pair's new version is way better. That's about the only track that I thought was a real upgrade from the originals. Most of the rest sounds fine in either mode.

In Untold 2, which has the strongest selection of non-battle BGMs in the series, I like a lot of the new renditions, but Cherry Tree Bridge tune loses some of its distinctive base line in the new version which is a real shame.

Anteo

Towering Pair's new version is way better. That's about the only track that I thought was a real upgrade from the originals. Most of the rest sounds fine in either mode.

In Untold 2, which has the strongest selection of non-battle BGMs in the series, I like a lot of the new renditions, but Cherry Tree Bridge tune loses some of its distinctive base line in the new version which is a real shame.

They made the songs much longer. Inspecting the Resounding has a new part that reminds me a lot of The Battlefield that Never Sleeps

Anteo

Still havent played EMD, not sure if I should push forwad in EOU2 or get EMD. Also, I still need to play more Xenoblade.

Faith is my pillar is just my favourite battle theme.
Not including boss themes

Not sure I liked what EMD did with the theme. It turned it into this 'epic' feeling piece. Which reminds me, I still need to finish EMD. Y'know, just in time for EO2U.

EOIII will never be finished, oh jeez

Rutger

Banned
Second battle themes:

Faith is My Pillar > Those That Slay and Fall > Inspecting the Resounding Weapons > Destruction Begets Decay

If the trend continues then EOV's will be more amazing than we can possibly imagine.

Anteo

I wonder If they will keep the tiers for skills for EOV. It looked like a good idea for EOIV at first but in the end whenver I hit the next tier + 2 levels, I would reset the sp to remove them from useless earlier skills.

omlet

I wonder If they will keep the tiers for skills for EOV. It looked like a good idea for EOIV at first but in the end whenver I hit the next tier + 2 levels, I would reset the sp to remove them from useless earlier skills.

I actually kind of liked this about EOIV (although I didn't rest my party until hitting lv40 range). It's not like resting is really punishing anymore in the 3DS games.

Also, we fighting about music again? Winds > Waves. Faith is My Pillar and Destruction Begets Decay are top tier. So is Towering Pair.

Rutger

Banned

If I don't think a skill is worth investing more into, I'll just save the skill points for later, so that's not a big deal.

I don't think I'd mind either way, I kind of like the freedom of it not being there, but I also like the sense of progression. EOIV had the best class skillsets so I'm more than okay with it if they decide to follow how that game did things.

spiritfox

I actually kind of liked this about EOIV (although I didn't rest my party until hitting lv40 range). It's not like resting is really punishing anymore in the 3DS games.

Also, we fighting about music again? Winds > Waves. Faith is My Pillar and Destruction Begets Decay are top tier. So is Towering Pair.

Fight me.

Rutger

Banned
They're both pretty good.

Besides, the series needs a recurring theme that isn't the Dragon's, The End of the Raging _____ isn't a bad choice.

Scher

Anyone willing to give me some advice for subclass ideas in EO3? Just got subclasses unlocked, but I'm just not sure what I want to do with some of my characters. I'm going Princess/Monk for a healer, but for everyone else I'm not too sure. Hoplite/Ninja sounds like it could be pretty good, but the issue I'd have with that is I have a Wildling, so either I wouldn't be able to get much use out of animals or I wouldn't be able to take advantage of double Hoplites. Does Hoplite/Ninja have any good uses outside of stuff like double line guard fun and all that?

The other three (Wildling, Zodiac, and Gladiator) I'm very unsure about what to do. Wildling doesn't seem like it would get much benefit from other things. Like, I was thinking Wildling/Hoplite for spear mastery and some skills to help out with damage every now and then, although it probably wouldn't contribute much in damage that way. From what I understand, Zodiac could go with Gladiator for using Meteor, but what else potentially works for Zodiac? Outside of some extra utilities, Zodiac doesn't seem to really benefit from most of the subclasses. As for Gladiator, maybe sub Buccaneer for Eagle Eye and Limit Boost? Those are the main ideas I've been kind of thinking over, but I'm open to any advice!

pariah164

I'm stuck in EOIV because of FOE nonsense, but I am hooked on the EOU demo. Almost at level 10 already. Will probably buy it tomorrow. I'm guessing Story is the way to go in this game, rather than classic?

Rizzi

I'm stuck in EOIV because of FOE nonsense, but I am hooked on the EOU demo. Almost at level 10 already. Will probably buy it tomorrow. I'm guessing Story is the way to go in this game, rather than classic?

Everyone told me classic was the better way to play it.

Anteo

Really? But Story has the better, well, story I'm assuming.

LOL no, story mode take the story from classioc mode and butchers it criminally to make it work with characters.. It is super bad to the point that they had to make the post game non canon, change the motivation of some characters to patch it together somehow, it gives away the big twist as early as the first few minutes or some of the early interactions with your party, there were more things I disliked about it but i cant remember now. I think I posted a rant about it on the EOU OT

The only thing Story mode has against classic is that classic tries to hide that it has a story going on for as long as it can. So if you are looking for a narrative like EO4, you wont find it until mid-late game.

The interaction between characters is cool.. if that's your thing sure why not.

Rutger

Banned
Maybe one day I'll try the story modes, but so far I've always stuck with classic.

EO2U has a cool battle theme that plays whenever the main character goes super saiyan, it's worth playing for that and the banter when you develop new recipes.

I haven't played EOU's story, but seeing as I'm the only one around here who thinks the first game's story is kind of bad, I probably wouldn't see it as much of a downgrade.
Or an upgrade. And those dungeons are the weakest in the series, so I doubt I'll feel like playing through its story mode anytime soon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EO 1 has one of the better dungeons in the series. EO IV is the one with the short boring dungeons with lame gimmicks. EO3 might be my favorite dungeon wise.

Rutger

Banned
I can't think of a single dungeon in EOI that stands out to me more than those offered in any other game in the series, personally. The length of EOIV's was disappointing, but those gimmicks made them more interesting than anything EOI had.

EOIII is certainly the best though, I can agree with that.

Anteo

I can't think of a single dungeon in EOI that stands out to me more than those offered in any other game in the series, personally. The length of EOIV's was disappointing, but those gimmicks made them more interesting than anything EOI had.

EOIII is certainly the best though, I can agree with that.

I didnt care for the interactions of the party, so if you take an story that you call bad, and make it worse...

Zweizer

Banned
Anyone willing to give me some advice for subclass ideas in EO3? Just got subclasses unlocked, but I'm just not sure what I want to do with some of my characters. I'm going Princess/Monk for a healer, but for everyone else I'm not too sure. Hoplite/Ninja sounds like it could be pretty good, but the issue I'd have with that is I have a Wildling, so either I wouldn't be able to get much use out of animals or I wouldn't be able to take advantage of double Hoplites. Does Hoplite/Ninja have any good uses outside of stuff like double line guard fun and all that?

The other three (Wildling, Zodiac, and Gladiator) I'm very unsure about what to do. Wildling doesn't seem like it would get much benefit from other things. Like, I was thinking Wildling/Hoplite for spear mastery and some skills to help out with damage every now and then, although it probably wouldn't contribute much in damage that way. From what I understand, Zodiac could go with Gladiator for using Meteor, but what else potentially works for Zodiac? Outside of some extra utilities, Zodiac doesn't seem to really benefit from most of the subclasses. As for Gladiator, maybe sub Buccaneer for Eagle Eye and Limit Boost? Those are the main ideas I've been kind of thinking over, but I'm open to any advice!

I'm guessing you haven't unlocked the additional classes yet.

Hoplite/Ninja is nice for evading and regenerating TP through evading as well, though if you don't find that useful, you can go with Hoplite/Farmer for added utility or Hoplite/Princess for added support.

Wildling/Hoplite would be better for Shield Mastery I think. Arbalist can work with Zodiac as well, and as for Gladiator, can't really think of anything else than Buccaneer at this point.

Anteo

Then get to work!

Also, I think EOIV would be a huge (but welcome) change of pace for you, if you want to keep playing EO.

Edit: Also, somethng i hope it comes back for the next game is these grind/exp/grimore dlc from EOU2. It helps a lot for anyone who is time constrained. Before I needed to get a farming party, grind them to a decent level and get them to work to get money flowing. Now I can just use the exp dlc to get them to a decent level and just use them for the materials, and get gold from the gold dlc instead. It makes it less of a timesink. The grimore dlc seems to be a huge relief for lategame grimore hunting, I bet it makes much faster.

Also, you can use the exp dlc to negate the 2 level loss from resting, which makes it super easy to experiments with builds.

Top Bottom