• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

spiritfox

Day 1:
The team is picked out a quiet spot to the west of the floor. Nothing will touch us here, the leader said, noticeably ignoring the giant Wyvern just lying north of us.

Day 2:
We just spent a day walking in circles, while said Wyvern blasted lightning ineffectually around the place. Sometimes I look at her, lurking across the waters, and wonder why it doesn't just fly at us. But then, perhaps it's better this way.

Day 3:
Halfway through, the leader said. Let us just continue on our splendid tour of our little corner of the Labyrinth. Meanwhile, our troubadour has ran out of songs to sing. I pity her.

Day 4:

The lightning. Just make it stop.

Day ???:

Today, a guard found us. He was wondering what happened to our guild, fearing the worst. After reassuring him that I was fine, he asked me why I are still wandering around B8F. The trial has ended, he said. But he lies. He just want us to fail. He cannot be allowed to let us fail. Let me fail. The lightning god commands it.

Zweizer

Banned
dzKMgIa.png

spiritfox

Expert Cernunnos down! It only took 3 Amritas >.< Both my DH and Ronin have so small TP pools that they cannot last even half the battle. I wonder if using the TP regen drink might be needed. Also, my Troubadour seems a little useless. The buffs are nice but she cannot do much else.
But I'm not gonna replace Mau-chan...

Scher

I'm at the 4th stratum of EO3 now, and so far I'm really enjoying it! EO3 is just a much more polished game than 1 and 2 are, although it also seems quite a bit easier than EO2 was. Although bosses just have a lot more health, incoming damage in general in EO3 is a lot lower than EO2. I like that, though, because battles in EO3 feel less like I have to either disable enemies or kill them as quickly as possible.

I'm also really liking the OST for EO3 so far more than the other games. The music in this game is definitely a nice step up from the previous ones. Hopefully they'll get around to making a remake of 3, because I'm interested to see how that's handled!

spiritfox

I have a soft spot for EO3's crazy subclassing shenanigans, which allowed for crazy game breaking builds. Though EO4's subclassing is more balanced, it lost a little something that 3 had.

I find EO3's OST a little too screechy for me though.

tuffy

EO III's Warrior's Might party builds do sort of break the game.

Build a Gladiator/Shogun with the Warrior's Might skill and lots of attack boosting passives, a bunch of Shogun/Buccaneers to pump out attacks with Second Sword and Swashbuckling, and chase your way to victory.

Anteo

EO III's Warrior's Might party builds do sort of break the game.

Build a Gladiator/Shogun with the Warrior's Might skill and lots of attack boosting passives, a bunch of Shogun/Buccaneers to pump out attacks with Second Sword and Swashbuckling, and chase your way to victory.

Or just get one Ninja.

the only part of EO3 that I found lacking was the sea map, honestly. The rest of that game is stellar.

Speaking of, I expect we'll hear about an EO3U soon? And some more EO5 news. The wait has been murder.

Scher

the only part of EO3 that I found lacking was the sea map, honestly. The rest of that game is stellar.

So far, I'm really liking the sea map as a nice little ancillary part of the game. It's been a nice distraction between stratums to allow make self to take a little break and not get burnt out on the dungeon crawling.

That transition was probably my favorite moment in the series back when I played it for the first time.

And I agree with this! That was a super interesting moment in the first game, and I'm pretty glad I played the first game back when it was released.

Anteo

Other favorites points on the series

Amroad vs The Deep City mission on EO3
Tharsis meeting The Echoing Library people on EO4.
The Petal Bridge from EOU2

Anteo

:/
That's dumb. Why would they spoil that?

No idea. It's not a spoiler for you anymore but, early in the game in Story mode:

- The name of the game is Milenium Girl
- Your party member Ricky comes out of a capsule with a suit that looks like an astronaut in a mechanical and super advanced looking dungeon (exclusive to story mode), the doors, walls are futuristic. Her class is unique: "Gunner" (class exclusive to EO2 and to her in this game), fights using her hand gun. This tells you it is set in the future of an old and advanced civilization and she is the milenium girl.
- Your party member Raquna mentions Ontario a lot, with references to Maple Leafs and other Canadian things.This tells you that Etria is on Earth.
- There are other plot points that you still have to learn about, but this are discussed on the side dugeon as you get through the main stratums, way before the 5th

You still dont know where the 5th stratum is gonna be, but you have an idea of the setting of this game. The whole plot twist is gone.

My comment about the areas you have visited. Or rather, the themes of al the stratums you have visited so far is unrelated btw. But still think about it, I bet you will find it interesting as you get deeper in the 5th stratum

Rizzi

No idea. It's not a spoiler for you anymore but, early in the game in Story mode:

- The name of the game is Milenium Girl
- Your party member Ricky comes out of a capsule with a suit that looks like an astronaut in a mechanical and super advanced looking dungeon (exclusive to story mode), the doors, walls are futuristic. Her class is unique: "Gunner" (class exclusive to EO2 and to her in this game), fights using her hand gun. This tells you it is set in the future and she is the milenium girl.
- Your party member Raquna mentions Ontario a lot, with references to Maple Leafs and other Canadian things.This tells you that Etria is on Earth.

You still dont know where the 5th stratum is gonna be, but you have an idea of the setting of this game. The whole plot twist is gone.

Well the name of the stratum is Lost Shinjuku. So.. Tokyo I'd guess.

Rutger

Banned
Her class is unique: "Gunner" (class exclusive to EO2 and to her in this game), fights using her hand gun. This tells you it is set in the future and she is the milenium girl.

I wouldn't say the gunner class spoils anything, those aren't exactly a recent invention and the shop is able to build new ones from monster parts easily enough.

Anteo

Well the name of the stratum is Lost Shinjuku. So.. Tokyo I'd guess.

Yeah, I mean you are there already so you know, but if you are on the 2nd stratum in story mode, you already know the setting of the game, you may not know that you are gonna visit that place, but you know similar places existed in the past, heck you even know or at least can infer many thing that will be said later in the game.
Also, in story mode, Ricky spells it out for you, in case you dont know Shinjuku is located in Tokyo. This is not a complaint btw. I think is nice they do that for people that dont truly know its based on a real place

I wouldn't say the gunner class spoils anything, those aren't exactly a recent invention and the shop is able to build new ones from monster parts easily enough.

Eh, by itself is not an spoiler of course, but I think it reinforces the idea of the character and setting

But hey, less talk about how much I hate the story on story mode of the first untold game, and more talk about how awesome 5th stratum of Untold is.

Also, I loved this song from exclusive for Untold story mode: Decisive Battle - The End of the World. I even made a custom loop to add it to Project M as BG music for Final Destination.

spiritfox

I really wish later EO games revisited the concept again. It's not going to be as impactful, but it'll be cool to fly over
Tokyo
in EOIV for example.

BTW fun fact: the 5th stratum's design is based on
the Tokyo Metropolitan Goverment Building, which was also featured heavily in Digimon Tamers, and my favorite building in Tokyo.

Rutger

Banned
I really wish later EO games revisited the concept again. It's not going to be as impactful, but it'll be cool to fly over
Tokyo
in EOIV for example.

Well, there is that futuristic looking city off in the distance in the EOV artwork.

I don't really mind though. Honestly, I don't think the fifth dungeon in EOI being
a real place
really added anything, and EOIII and IV make it clear that they are
post apocalyptic
too and I feel they ran with it better.

spiritfox

Well, there is that futuristic looking city off in the distance in the EOV artwork.

I don't really mind though. Honestly, I don't think the fifth dungeon in EOI being
a real place
really added anything, and EOIII and IV make it clear that they are
post apocalyptic
too and I feel they ran with it better.

Being set in
a real place
makes things cooler though. If EO1 had been
a generic future city
instead of
Tokyo
, it wouldn't been as mindblowing as it was.

Also making spoiler tags suck on mobile.

Rutger

Banned
Being set in
a real place
makes things cooler though. If EO1 had been
a generic future city
instead of
Tokyo
, it wouldn't been as mindblowing as it was.

Also making spoiler tags suck on mobile.

I guess that's one way of looking at it.
I don't know, all it feels like to me is that when they decided they needed a twist for the fifth dungeon they said
Planet of the Apes was pretty cool.
Maybe any chance of me seeing anything amazing about EOI's fifth dungeon is because I spoiled myself long before I ever played it...

Enough about what I don't care for, it feels like I'll I've been saying lately was bad things about EOI/EOU, but I do like one thing about it, the post-game dungeon.
All the post-game dungeons are great. Ever since I first stepped into EOIII's(which of course is my favorite) it's become the thing I look forward to the most in the series, and they haven't let me down yet.

Anteo

I guess that's one way of looking at it.
I don't know, all it feels like to me is that when they decided they needed a twist for the fifth dungeon they said
Planet of the Apes was pretty cool.
Maybe any chance of me seeing anything amazing about EOI's fifth dungeon is because I spoiled myself long before I ever played it...

Enough about what I don't care for, it feels like I'll I've been saying lately was bad things about EOI/EOU, but I do like one thing about it, the post-game dungeon.
All the post-game dungeons are great. Ever since I first stepped into EOIII's(which of course is my favorite) it's become the thing I look forward to the most in the series, and they haven't let me down yet.

I never played the post game dungeon, I went Classic > Story > Classic, but stoped mid way in my second run on classic to get back to the dungeon because of reasons. =/

tuffy

Wait, the only thing we have is the EOV artwork they released a while back? Nothing else has been released so far?
Not a thing, other than more news would be coming around springtime (an announcement of an announcement). Even the system it's on is still a mystery.

Anteo

Not a thing, other than more news would be coming around springtime (an announcement of an announcement). Even the system it's on is still a mystery.

Oh..
The artwork itself is a mistery, it looks like it doenst even take place on earth. I guess if it is indeed no on earth, it must be related to the Amroad incident.

Nachos

A buddy just linked this to me, which lets you rank your favorite Etrian character designs. It takes a while, though, and I mainly did it because I was bored during the blizzard that just happened in the US. But I was also curious to know what everyone else's favorite portraits were.
The only big mystery about Zweizer is the order of the number 1 and 2 spots.

f6XN9jy.png

There was a teaser trailer with the artwork and some Japanese words suggesting space will be a big part IIRC.

Not really the words themselves. They just went on about some impending threat. The main two things are the moons and the golden thing flashing during parts of the trailer, which looks similar to the Voyager Golden Record that went into space in the late '70s. There's that spaceship-looking place on the right side, but if I remember right, it's just based on ancient Norse architecture.

Come to think of it, though, I wonder why IV didn't do anything with space, considering Tharsis is a big plateau on Mars.

A buddy just linked this to me, which lets you rank your favorite Etrian character designs. It takes a while, though, and I mainly did it because I was bored during the blizzard that just happened in the US. But I was also curious to know what everyone else's favorite portraits were.
The only big mystery about Zweizer is the order of the number 1 and 2 spots.

f6XN9jy.png
Oh boy. I don't even know what would be my tops off the top of my head...

kagamin

This was a really hard choice:
5J1KEII.png

will update when I'm done

Results:
yM5LvI1.png
I can provide a more complete list if asked :p
also I did NOT expect that three way tie for third (totally expected the two way tie for first though)

I'm tossing and turning on even getting Etrian 2 Untold at launch. Though it won't get cheaper than it will in Europe because Atlus sales don't exist here and Atlus games don't get cheaper here. I've looked at Etrian 1 Untold and realised I've only got to the 3rd strat. 7 months late and so much coming out next month. But I need highlander and gunner waifus ;-;

Rizzi

I'm tossing and turning on even getting Etrian 2 Untold at launch. Though it won't get cheaper than it will in Europe because Atlus sales don't exist here and Atlus games don't get cheaper here. I've looked at Etrian 1 Untold and realised I've only got to the 3rd strat. 7 months late and so much coming out next month. But I need highlander and gunner waifus ;-;

Doooo iiiiiit.

spiritfox

EO2U is so much better than EOU. It basically fixes all the problems EOU had.

Also EO2 is the best game.

You're all terrible people, making me want something I want. Guess I'll try and find the cheapest place to get it.

I'll play it for a few days and suddenly SFV becomes a life style

Top Bottom