• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

ohlawd

I wonder if I'll have trouble with the postgame bosses using the default classes. 29F now so I think I'm close. I still have to rest anyway since I hit the lvl 70 cap.

Ferrio

Banned
Curious how the story handles that... and if there was any foreshadowing. Cause in classic it's outta no where.

Also any bad talk I gave hexer has been revoked. Glad I stuck with her... suicide word is brutal.

Now I just need to find a good attack spell grimiore skill for my trabadour. Her buffs last a long time so she has lots of downtime.

Anteo

Curious how the story handles that... and if there was any foreshadowing. Cause in classic it's outta no where.

Also any bad talk I gave hexer has been revoked. Glad I stuck with her... suicide word is brutal.

Now I just need to find a good attack spell grimiore skill for my trabadour. Her buffs last a long time so she has lots of downtime.

Try some debuffs from monsters, def down or things like that. I was using my troub for that for a while

Ferrio

Banned
Try some debuffs from monsters, def down or things like that. I was using my troub for that for a while

My hexer has that covered. I've hit the debuff and buff cap. God damned that cap... my biggest complaint about this series.

slayn

needs to show more effort.

Story spoils it pretty much immediately.

If you are willing to put a little effort into getting a King Grimoire, Fenrir's is a fantastic ability for a troubador with freetime. And even though getting a king grimoire is obtuse, the fact that it is guaranteed level 10 felt a lot less grindy for me than trying for anything else.

Ferrio

Banned
Story spoils it pretty much immediately.

If you are willing to put a little effort into getting a King Grimoire, Fenrir's is a fantastic ability for a troubador with freetime. And even though getting a king grimoire is obtuse, the fact that it is guaranteed level 10 felt a lot less grindy for me than trying for anything else.

How do you get it? What does it do?

slayn

How do you get it? What does it do?

At your mansion, data options lets you see your guild card. There are 8 integers there like number of enemies killed and number of steps walked, and so forth. You want to align the one's digit of as many of these 8 numbers as possible. So Like 457 enemies killed, 197 grimoires fused. You only have to line up at least 2, but I think the more you have lined up the better your chances. I'm uncertain on if its just the last digit, or last 2 digits though.

Then save, and go kill a boss and reset if it doesn't drop it. With ~4-6 numbers lined up it felt like about a 25% chance to drop for me.

Fenrir in particular drops
Wolf Pack - makes your entire team do something like 1.5x damage on the turn its cast. And at least for me, my troub giving everyone in my party a 150% damage multiplier is way better than whatever offensive spell I might have had him cast. And since it is a 1 turn effect, it does not use a buff slot.

scy

The King Grimoires are just so silly to get. Like, without someone pointing them out (and, notably, it was a dev if I recall), it would've come down to complete coincidence for someone to find one I think.

Well,
the entirety of the Story-only dungeon pretty much gives away the "twist."

That said, unless they changed Classic immensely
it was fairly obvious in the original by the time you got that far as well

Ferrio

Banned
At your mansion, data options lets you see your guild card. There are 8 integers there like number of enemies killed and number of steps walked, and so forth. You want to align the one's digit of as many of these 8 numbers as possible. So Like 457 enemies killed, 197 grimoires fused. You only have to line up at least 2, but I think the more you have lined up the better your chances. I'm uncertain on if its just the last digit, or last 2 digits though.

Then save, and go kill a boss and reset if it doesn't drop it. With ~4-6 numbers lined up it felt like about a 25% chance to drop for me.

Fenrir in particular drops
Wolf Pack - makes your entire team do something like 1.5x damage on the turn its cast. And at least for me, my troub giving everyone in my party a 150% damage multiplier is way better than whatever offensive spell I might have had him cast. And since it is a 1 turn effect, it does not use a buff slot.

Is that the same requirement for all bosses?

Anteo

Man the 5 day quest is so boring, most of the map wont give you enemy encounters, it basically encourages you to just cheat.

Anteo

The hard part of the Quest is when you run out of Inventory Space 4 hours into it ;__;

Yeah I wanted a grimore with the alchemist skill for that one, but I just said fuck it. Plus the encounters dont give much exp and the area where you can fight is so small and the no-encounter area so big...

tuffy

Man the 5 day quest is so boring, most of the map wont give you enemy encounters, it basically encourages you to just cheat.
I think that's pretty much what the encounter-less room was for in the original, too. It's pretty hard to do it the non-cheating way since the game's TP restoring skills are a bit stingy. But at least there's autopilot arrows and fast walking this time around.

Anteo

The amount of FOEs on B5 are startling. Do some of those boulder boars never wake up?

Lot of them are just boulders really.

I think that's pretty much what the encounter-less room was for in the original, too. It's pretty hard to do it the non-cheating way since the game's TP restoring skills are a bit stingy. But at least there's autopilot arrows and fast walking this time around.

We have a room that fully heals HP/TP as many times as we want now. Still, it doesnt make it better when most of the floor have no encounters.

ohlawd

Lot of them are just boulders really.

We have a room that fully heals HP/TP as many times as we want now. Still, it doesnt make it better when most of the floor have no encounters.
The reward of the quest comes from the dialogue between your character and the others. Running back and forth waiting for night to hit is a low price to pay.

My favorite quest so far.

ohlawd

And I'm stuck here playing Classic
Oh I forgot. Sorry to hear that.

Everyone is just split up between Classic and Story >_>

nah I want a story and characters even if it's shitty. You think I'd still play Tales games if it was all gameplay? No waaay. I wouldn't have gone Story first if they didn't lock two classes until after Story mode is finished.

GeekyDad

Just finished up Gladsheim Area II, and I have to say, the story is a lot more interesting than I expected. There's some really good stuff here. The story is told in that same D&D dungeon-master style, and the Story Mode dialogue does its job well. I think it's a shame so many folks are going to immediately shelve it because it doesn't fit into their notion of what an EO game should be. It's not Shakespeare, but it's entertaining. At the very least, the premise is very cool, especially for those familiar with the book of Revelation.

Ferrio

Banned
Tried taking on alraune.... ya that didn't end well.

Also I'm a little dismayed with Dark Hunters binds. Even with lvl * Bind and Curse mastery grimiored..... it barely lands. My hexer with 1 point in her bind skill has more luck.

tuffy

Also I'm a little dismayed with Dark Hunters binds. Even with lvl * Bind and Curse mastery grimiored..... it barely lands. My hexer with 1 point in her bind skill has more luck.
That's interesting. I've had decent enough luck getting my Dark Hunter binds to land against random encounters, FOEs and stratum bosses, but sometimes I think a Hexer would be better (especially since they were an unlockable class originally - and I prefer their design).

The trouble is that switching would turn my RDP/AM party into RP/HAM which has too many squishy characters and too many back row ones. So I'd have to swap out an Alchemist (and lose all that wide effect elemental damage) or Medic (and figure out where to get enough healing) in order to bring in a front-row Landy or something.

Decisions, decisions...

Verilligo

The problem is that binds and status effects have their chance to land based on TEC. In literally every other EO game, it was based on LUC. Now LUC figures in as your chance to AVOID being bound/afflicted. And, oddly enough, for some enemy skills the chance to land is based on STR. At the end of the day, this means the Hexer/Alchemist have the best chance to land those binds/afflictions. Alchemist would have the unrivaled strongest poison, too.

slayn

Wow its not luck based in this one? That is weird.

Too bad dark hunters don't have their EO2 loltastic boost ability to land all three binds in a single move with 100% success rate against all bosses. And then you use axcelas to do this every turn.

tuffy

I decided the best way to reorganize my party layout was to retire characters into new classes at level 30. And so long as I'm retiring some of them, I might as well retire everyone at once for the stat bonuses and extra skill points. That brings everyone back to level 15, but they'll be hitting above their level due to those extra stats and better equipment, so it shouldn't be long before I can get back to exploring.

I wound up settling on a RLP/HA setup in which Protector prioritizes healing skills first in order to make up for ditching the Medic. So far the Prayer skill's providing more HP/TP healing than I expected, so this just might work if I can put up enough offense to keep random encounters short and my Hexer can shut down boss attacks long enough.

Anteo

So the Landsknecht Recover is a big lie.
It says "Removes an ally's bind" but is only self targeted and when you use it, it will only work on you and not the party.
Also the second description talks about HP recover but its wrong too.

vall03

I just played a bit of EOIV because I got a few Streetpasses, and my god the game felt slow in comparison to Untold. I really miss the Hold B for faster movement and Hold A for faster battles. Both can even be set to default in the options. One of the reasons I'd say the newest entry in the series is better then the previous one. Its these simple improvements that sometimes make it hard to go back to the previous games.

Anteo

I just played a bit of EOIV because I got a few Streetpasses, and my god the game felt slow in comparison to Untold. I really miss the Hold B for faster movement and Hold A for faster battles. Both can even be set to default in the options. One of the reasons I'd say the newest entry in the series is better then the previous one. Its these simple improvements that sometimes make it hard to go back to the previous games.

But hold A for faster battles have been there since 3 (or maybe 2, never played 2). Unless you mean for even faster battles by making the thing go faster in the settings.

Personally I dont like the fast battle settings, the EOIV speed was good enough and I use the same here. I use the hold a alot, that speed is perfect for me, other settings are either too fast or to slow. (For some reason, animation in fast is faster than skip on normal, and I do not like it that fast)

GeekyDad

Yeah. Though I don't use the fast-battle features, I don't think I can go back to the regular walk speed. It's crazy that it was just now introduced, as it's an old feature of most Roglue-likes (which play similarly in terms of dungeon exploration).

Top Bottom