• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU PSN Sale (Japanese classics)

Atolm

Do I have to purchase each XCom separately? so 9€ to have every content, right?

edit: nvm now I remember they gave Enemy Unknown with Plus so I only need to buy Enemy Within anyway. Nice!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Some of those prices are wrong, Dragons Dogma is £7.50 not £1.75

NewDust

Do I have to purchase each XCom separately? so 9€ to have every content, right?

Enemy within has all the content of Enemy Unknown (not sure about DLC, but I believe it is integrated) but adds extra gameplay systems and maps. Storywise the games are the same (with the exception of the backstory for the added gameplay systems). You could see Within as the full experience. However gameplay wise you cannot disable the added systems on ps3, therefor make sure to watch some gameplay of both to see wich one is more into your wheelhouse.

Mandelbo

How are those Ar no something games? I've seen them around but never heard people talk about them much.

No, not at all. The progression is completely different, each level is a single "screen" consisting of many regular Cv rooms stitched together with every monster and player active at the same time, you have to make it to the boss and beat it on one life if playing solo, no checkpoints. The RPG elements are almost completely gone.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. That doesn't really sound what I want at all, so I'll probably just get something else instead.

sasuke_91

Resonance of fate is a must. Not an Atelier Fan and only played Disgaea 3 and 4, but they were/are great
Okay thanks. I only played Disgaea 4 but loved the game so so much!^^
What is it that you don't like about Atelier? I like the artstyle and the colors, but I don't know anything about the story. Are those girls very moe-like? Or are they actually enjoyable characters?

I haven't even finished or started most games I bought during one of the last EU PSN sales.

Those were, hmmm, let me see. Some funny games called Danganronpa 2, Persona 3, ah, and yes, Persona 4 Golden. Wonder if they're any good...

Now I just added MGS 1-3, FF VI, FF-X/X2 and if my wife wouldn't kill me I'd bought much more. Love my Vita, really do.

jimi_dini

Metal Gear Solid Special Missions
65% off
Original price £6.49/€7.99
Offer price £2.27/€2.80

I just bought this.
Started it.
Asks me to insert DISC1 or DISC2 of Metal Gear Solid.

Sony, are you fucking kidding me?

EDIT: so I have to go into the PS3 menu, select "switch disc" and then switch back. Why? Couldn't they simply patch this crap out?

GeeTeeCee

OK, so after some serious thought (and much consideration of the current state of my wallet), I've managed to narrow my potential purchases down to XCOM: Enemy Within, Suikoden 2, Oreshika, MGS: Special Missions, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Touch My Katamari. Costs about £22 total. Amazing.

I just bought this.
Started it.

EDIT: so I have to go into the PS3 menu, select "switch disc" and then switch back. Why? Couldn't they simply patch this crap out?

The PS1 games are running in emulation, they can't just patch it out.

Vashetti

Banned
I just bought this.
Started it.

They're not ports, they're .iso files, the same that were on PS1 discs. There's nothing special about them.

jimi_dini

The PS1 games are running in emulation, they can't just patch it out.

What?
I downloaded a disc image. They could have of course modified that disc image.

Or they could have also added a little workaround inside their emulator to skip the disc check entirely.

Or they could have detected this specific disc check and did the "disc changing" automatically.

Or at least add a simple splash screen and tell the user what he/she is supposed to do. This last thing wouldn't have even required them to modify the internals of their emulator at all. But nope, let the user boot up the game and let him figure out that he is supposed to go into an internal PS3 menu and switch discs in there, although the original game was only 1 disc.

Or they could have also simply used an US copy of the game, which I think didn't have this check at all. Not 100% sure about that.

At least VR missions finally work. On certain PS2 models (*cough* mine) the actual VR mission disc didn't work at all because of some backward compatibility issue, which made the disc check fail all the time.

They're not ports, they're .iso files, the same that were on PS1 discs. There's nothing special about them.

I'm actually a dev. I know that. I have actually worked on creating VMs for certain type of games. And of course removing this disc check would have been possible.
Hell, one of the engines I worked on patches internal scripts of a game on-the-fly, so that additional functionality gets added, that wasn't there in the original release. The user doesn't notice a thing. The actual game is left untouched. All of that is done inside memory only. And it's even done using dynamic signatures, so that multiple versions of a game can be patched by only one single patch. I don't even have to create multiple of those modifications for each translation.

On Virtual Console you also play using an emulator. And Nintendo was capable of patching out for example stuff that could trigger seizures.

Devil

Now it's even more of a shame that the Vita versions of the One Piece: Pirate Warriors games haven't released in the west. Would have totally bought PW2 for Vita at 14€. Since I don't really use my PS3 anymore I probably won't buy it at all now.

I've been waiting on a sale on Battle Princess of Arcadia and Valkyria Chronicles 2 for what feels like an eternity, may as well grab them both now.

Shahed

Atelier is a great JRPG series. Time management is most strict in Rorona, later games are a lot, a lot more generous with the story limits. Atelier Shalie dropped the time limit entirely, although I would recommend trying Atelier Totori at the very least. The thing with time limits, is that you don't need to worry about them outside the main progression. You are given more than enough time to be able to do whatever you want.
Is the same true for the Plus version of Rorona? I find it difficult to near impossible to start playing a game series halfway. It's why recently with the Witcher III I bought all the bookw and read them before I started.

Codiox

Yes! Looked today for street fighter HD remix this morning, so glad I didn't bought it.

Just right now when I'm jumping to get competitive in fighting games. Bought it just now.

Molemitts

I'm finally gonna try the Metal Gear Solid games, as someone who hates cutscene heavy games and is iffy on stealth, I can't wait!

I also impulse bought Okami HD. I remember loving it years ago when I first played, but I have a strong feeling I wont feel that way anymore. At least it will look really pretty.

Rich!

Hoooly shit

I just bought MGS HD collection, MGS4, Ni No Kuni and Darkstalkers Resurrection. Total cost, £23

Woah.

Dambrosi

Banned
Nice sale.

Bought DOA5 LR PS4, in for Oreshika, Dracula X Chronicles and ridiculously cheap NiGHTS into Dreams, among others. There's so much cheapness for PSP and Vita, a smorgasbord of bargains. Not a bad legacy for a legacy platform.

Question: I own and have completed Dark Souls 2 and all the DLC campaigns on PC. Would it be worth it to also buy Scholar of The First Sin on PS4? How much is really different?

Shaneus

Not a bad sale, but I wish we (at least, in AU) had the Sega/Sonic sale as well. Wanted me that Mega Drive Collection :(

Great sale even though I have most of the games I want already.

Considering buying Oreshika and Suikoden II but my wallet appears to be empty, which reminds me, I topped up £50 by Paypal not too long ago in order to get £10 back but I've heard nothing about that... anyone know how I can claim the £10?

Duster

Hoooly shit
I just bought MGS HD collection, MGS4, Ni No Kuni and Darkstalkers Resurrection. Total cost, £23

Woah.

OK, so after some serious thought (and much consideration of the current state of my wallet), I've managed to narrow my potential purchases down to XCOM: Enemy Within, Suikoden 2, Oreshika, MGS: Special Missions, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Touch My Katamari. Costs about £22 total. Amazing.

Nice sale.
Bought DOA5 LR PS4, in for Oreshika, Dracula X Chronicles and ridiculously cheap NiGHTS into Dreams, among others. There's so much cheapness for PSP and Vita, a smorgasbord of bargains. Not a bad legacy for a legacy platform.

I know it's a unfair comparison but I still struggle to get my head around being able to put together lists of games like that for a lot less than the latest Destiny DLC.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, what a killer sale.

Screw my backlog, I must have VF5 Showdown for that price.

Can anyone sway me on grabbing Killer Is Dead?
I was always curious and have a soft spot for Suda's wacky stuff. Is it worth it?

Mr.McFist

Great sale, I will probably end up picking up Okami HD, Castlevania SOTN and God Hand. Never played any of them before but I know they are classics.

Is Castlevania Harmony of Despair any good???

kmob

Neo Member
Good sale Vita wise. I picked up
  • Breath of Fire 3
  • Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
  • Suikoden II
  • Ys SEVEN
For £10.49 - which is crazy value..

I've not played any of those before so thinking of jumping into Lunar SSH first :)

Tizoc

Damn, what a killer sale.

Screw my backlog, I must have VF5 Showdown for that price.

Can anyone sway me on grabbing Killer Is Dead?
I was always curious and have a soft spot for Suda's wacky stuff. Is it worth it?

If you have a decent PC you should be able to run the PC ver.
Get PC ver. since it allows for 60 FPS, has vsync (so no screen tearing) and you can even play without HUDs!

I like KiD but would recommend the PC ver. since the PS3 ver. has performance issues.

How's maken shao BTW? It has kaneko art which is already a big plus.

It was originally a Dreamcast game, which got re-released on the PS2.
From what little i played, combat is quite simple, but the character models are based off Kaneko's artstyle.
It's 50 Hz but to me it seemed optimized. I recommend getting it at that price as you should be able to enjoy it for the Kaneko visuals at least ;3

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If you have a decent PC you should be able to run the PC ver.
Get PC ver. since it allows for 60 FPS, has vsync (so no screen tearing) and you can even play without HUDs!

I like KiD but would recommend the PC ver. since the PS3 ver. has performance issues.

Thanks, but PC version would probably encounter similar (or worse) performance issues and probably look worse with my laptop ^^;

For 4 quid I might just take the plunge...

Really interesting sale, yet... The PAL PSone classics still run slower than the NA releases? I wanted to get a few things, specially Vagrant Story, but...

PS: I don't own a PS3, so I am stuck with Vita accepting only one PSN account (EU in my case).

Edit:Finished reading the whole thread. Crap. Also, it's too bad Persona 3 portable is not on sale. And with an 8gb memory card, I'd rather get Golden on retail.

Great sale even though I have most of the games I want already.

Considering buying Oreshika and Suikoden II but my wallet appears to be empty, which reminds me, I topped up £50 by Paypal not too long ago in order to get £10 back but I've heard nothing about that... anyone know how I can claim the £10?

The £10 discount should have applied automatically on the transaction - although when paying for the transaction, it looks like you're paying £50, your PayPal account will only be charged £40. On your PayPal receipt, there should be an entry for something like 'Special Offer -£10'.

If this didn't happen, contact PayPal. I read that some people had trouble but got the money back that way. There was a limited amount of discount available (i.e. There was a pot of money and once that went, this offer ended) but did read someone say that PayPal credited him with a tenner as a goodwill gesture.

Also, this deal has restarted, I believe. I had an Arkham Knight promotional email from Sony, which mentioned this offer and I applied it last night. Hopefully, that might help if you didn't get a discount.

You might already know this, but a lot of people recommended unlinking your PayPal account after making the payment for security reasons. Thought that was worth a mention!

deleted

Nice sale!

I don't really use my PS3 anymore, but I guess now's as good a time as any to pick up games that most likely won't see a PC release anymore.
Super Puzzle Fighters 2 HD and FF IX for less than 10 Euro sounds fair.

Also a bit hilarious, that FF VII is on sale for 5 and will go on sale for the PS4 in October for 15...

Usobuko

Banned
So this is a glimpse of the upcoming US psn sales.

Looks like quite a handful of titles I want to try at these prices.

Top Bottom