• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

Villa wasn't quite himself in 2010 either. I remember him being brought up on the left side by VDB on a consistent basis rather than sitting at the top.

Nah, but Villa was still amazing at the World Cup. He played his role perfectly and even filled in for Fernando Torres.

But there's nothing to be salty about the Spanish team for. I genuinely don't think they play beautiful football and I much rather watch Germany.

Alx

Let's be honest, if Germany or Italy (or whoever) was winning as much, we'd all be griping about them.

I don't know... Germany wins a lot, and they're currently fun to watch. When they completely dominated Greece, they still provided a very entertaining match, with good action (and goals). Spain had a similar domination against France, and... I'm not even sure the Spanish supporters had fun watching that. Except for the final "yay, we won.".

Some say that Spain is great to watch when the opposite team plays well... but that would mean that they're inherently boring and only reflect the quality of others. I'd rather watch teams that are entertaining against any other team.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't know... Germany wins a lot, and they're currently fun to watch. When they completely dominated Greece, they still provided a very entertaining match, with good action (and goals). Spain had a similar domination against France, and... I'm not even sure the Spanish supporters had fun watching that. Except for the final "yay, we won.".

Some say that Spain is great to watch when the opposite team plays well... but that would mean that they're inherently boring and only reflect the quality of others. I'd rather watch teams that are entertaining against any other team.

I think what's meant by Germany winning is actually winning tournaments. For about 20+ years Germany has been known as the best team that never wins shit, especially now that Spain has got its act together.

You cant compare Greece and France.

Was our match against Ireland boring?

Talon

Yes, what I meant was being standing WC and Euro champions.

Well, I certainly hated the 90s German side, but I like this new group with Ozil, Kroos, Muller, et al. Khedeira doesn't look particularly remarkable to me, but maybe we were spoiled by (club) Ballack.

Wow. Disgraceful by both players and referee. Deco sent off by that? He held the ball 2 seconds and then sent it the player's way. Every winning team does that, literally twice or more EACH game. I don't remember the match being anything like this. Now the battle of Nuremberg really makes sense
KuGsj.gif
I was laughing the whole way through, just bodies falling on the floor left and right.

IceCold

Wow. Disgraceful by both players and referee. Deco sent off by that? He held the ball 2 seconds and then sent it the player's way. Every winning team does that, literally twice or more EACH game. I don't remember the match being anything like this. Now the battle of Nuremberg really makes sense
KuGsj.gif
I was laughing the whole way through, just bodies falling on the floor left and right.

That game was a cluster fuck. I remember Blatter had said the ref should be given a yellow card for his performance lol.

Talon

Oh, haha. I had totally forgot about the 95 yellow card Portugal game. :jnc

I see Germany winning this tournament. Spain letting up on all these chances is going to have come back and bite them sooner or later.

Kabouter

That game was a cluster fuck. I remember Blatter had said the ref should be given a yellow card for his performance lol.

Funny story, prior to the NL - Portugal game this year they asked Mark van Bommel about it, and he thought it wasn't that nasty a game, but the ref was just easy with the cards. I think Mr. Van Bommel should perhaps have sought his fortunes in kickboxing, that seems more a sport that suits his standards, because wow, so many fouls in that game were way, way over the line. The Boulahrouz foul on Ronaldo most of all.

Clydefrog

I think it's fun to watch when it looks like Spain is about to lose the ball and they complete like 6 passes in 3 seconds to get out of trouble.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think it's fun to watch when it looks like Spain is about to lose the ball and they complete like 6 passes in 3 seconds to get out of trouble.

The contrary can be quite unnerving, though.

Like the goal sitting pretty and ripe for the taking then... pass-pass-pass-pass-pass (3 more minutes of passes) pass-pass-shoot... goalpost.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Sometimes it's kind of refreshing seeing Torres, even if he bungles half of his chances.

I was watching highlights on yesterday´s match on Danish tv, and they showed an English fan being naked. He got naked to distract Italian players from scoring. Haha, that´s a fan that would do anything for his team to win.

jtb

Banned
I understand the reason for its name, it just seems so ... blunt.

Netherlands --> Nether + Land
Nether: Adjective - Lower in position: "the ballast is suspended from its nether end".
Land: (self explanatory)

Basically, also the low countries.

it's really the exact same. it's a bit surprising just how similar they are, I guess, but neither is really more blunt than the other.

Hieberrr

I know most people are pulling for Germany, but Germany must be careful as to not take Italy so lightly.

Having said that, SCHLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNDDD

IceCold

Ugh. Such a disgusting, cheating team. Shouldn't FIFA review these kind of plays afterwards and hand out punishment for blatant acting?

Nah. I think FIFA only does that when it's violent behaviour. Like if a player headbutts another player and no one noticed or if a player shouts slurs etc. There has been a lot of shady officiating throughout the years and usually FIFA won't do much if goes according to keikaku. The South-Korea vs Italy game in 2002 comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddUKHMLAckE

Kinan

Finally got time to access the internets. Very satisfied that the justice was finally served and second worst team of the tournament(after Ireland) was finally sent home. Most of the Ukrainians at the stadio were obviously supporting Italy, but in a calm, ukrainian way.

And looking at that crappy game (strong contender for the worst match of the championship so far) i could only think how much more entertaining the game would be if Ukraine would be at the Englands place. :( yea, I'm still bitter.

Italy is also full of lol, with big Ballolol at the front. First half the Italy was basically one man down and we got some good laughs.

Only saving grace of the match was for me to witness personally amazing performance of Pirlo. God damn, you really need to be at the stadium to fully appreciate this genius. Also liked a lot the performance of two CBs in the italian team, classy.

The Euro is coming to the end for me, flying back tomorrow. I had some really great time, and even if I'm sad that Ukraine didnt make it out of the group, I would still say the Euro was a success for the country.

One last "fuck you" i would like to send to the BBC and german media, who created a very distorted perception of the country, scaring many people off, that otherwise would had an amazing time in Ukraine.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That disgusting sack of shit is now in prison for smuggling heroin to the U.S..

And don't forget Gamal Al-Ghandour.

He also refereed in two FIFA World Cups, France 1998 and Korea/Japan 2002. He disallowed two legal Spanish goals and his linesmen -- one Ugandan, the other Trinidadian -- judged one Spanish attack after another to be offside. [1][2].
I tend to laugh at the notion of conspiracies and game fixing at the WC, but there is no doubt in my mind that someone greased the refs during Korea's games. It was just plain absurd.

Wow, what the hell? Didn't remember that.

The referee from the Italy game was caught in 2010 smuggling 10 pounds of heroin into the US.
KuGsj.gif

Edit : Ah Sickboy007 already covered that. Hilarious guy though. Also lol from sickboys link

In September 2002, Moreno, while a candidate in October elections for places on the Quito city council, was suspended for twenty matches.[5] and investigated by Ecuadorian soccer authorities and FIFA[6] after a match he officiated between Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito and Barcelona Sporting Club from Guayaquil. With Liga de Quito trailing 3–2 at the end of the match, Moreno signalled six minutes of injury time, then allowed play to continue for thirteen minutes, during which Liga de Quito scored an equaliser in the 99th minute, then won the game in the 101st minute. Moreno was also accused of falsifying the minutes in which Liga de Quito scored their equalising and winning goals in his official match report.

In May 2003, in his third game back from his suspension, Moreno was again suspended, for one match, after he sent off three players from visiting Deportivo Quito in a 1–1 draw at Deportivo Cuenca.[7] He retired the following month, blaming low performance marks for his retirement. Even after all this, he is still regarded as one of the worst referees to have ever been in the world cup.[8]

Dibbz

Back in the day I played some fighting game on the PS1, might have been Tekken 3, not sure. I was just messing around and found that if I just stood there and didn't attack the AI would just move back and forward waiting for me to do something so it could attack. When I did make a move it slaughtered me.

That is Spain.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Finally got time to access the internets. Very satisfied that the justice was finally served and second worst team of the tournament(after Ireland) was finally sent home. Most of the Ukrainians at the stadio were obviously supporting Italy, but in a calm, ukrainian way.

And looking at that crappy game (strong contender for the worst match of the championship so far) i could only think how much more entertaining the game would be if Ukraine would be at the Englands place. :( yea, I'm still bitter.

Italy is also full of lol, with big Ballolol at the front. First half the Italy was basically one man down and we got some good laughs.

Only saving grace of the match was for me to witness personally amazing performance of Pirlo. God damn, you really need to be at the stadium to fully appreciate this genius. Also liked a lot the performance of two CBs in the italian team, classy.

The Euro is coming to the end for me, flying back tomorrow. I had some really great time, and even if I'm sad that Ukraine didnt make it out of the group, I would still say the Euro was a success for the country.

One last "fuck you" i would like to send to the BBC and german media, who created a very distorted perception of the country, scaring many people off, that otherwise would had an amazing time in Ukraine.

Yeah. Bonucci and Barzagli played really well! I'm glad someone noticed :p

Acidote

Funky Papa, a few of the referees of WC2002 retired soon after it while they were being investigated for fixing different matches. Look further and you'll find some old news about it.

They were assumed to be bribed by SK to get as far as they could.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Because of that I still cheer for Italy when Spain is not playing. It's "I know that feel bro" x 9001.

Yup. I hated Italy since Luis Enrique's broken nose, but after that farce of a game against South Korea I kind of warmed up to them.

Still, we had to beat them in 2008 to finally scratch that itch :p

Talon

Even as a Korean it was obvious that the Korea - Spain 2002 game was one of the worst officiated games ever. Spain was flat out jobbed constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom