• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugatrix

what are the euromillions numbers for friday?

giphy.gif

I would love to know too...

Jack cw

We don't really know what it is worth right now. We France took 2 goals against Cameroun, it was our first game without Varane, Rami made mistakes. Against Scotland we weren't able to test it, their team was very weak.

Kanté is able to help though now that he works has a "6".

I don't understand the hate against Evra and Sagna, they are pretty solid and have lots of experience for that kind of competition.

But Deschamps counts on the attack to compensate if there are failures in the defense and on the midfield — or even attack, like Payet against Scotland — to help the defence if things get dangerous.

Pls. We know what it's worth, we have seen those guys the whole season and the verdict about Sagna and Evra is pretty clear. "Solid" doesn't win trophies. A falling DM could help in defence but is missing in attack if he leaves too much space open, that can't be covered by the CM. The oppositions midfield will relentlessly use that space. If your full backs get overrun, even 3 DMs wont help you against crosses. Attack is an option, but you know what happened with the "Galacticos" right? Score one more than you concede is not without risk.

Lego Boss

I don't know how an increase to 24 teams is a bad thing? More teams get a chance to play and more games for us viewers.

First Euros had four teams.

They were still playing with eight until 1996.

This is a major increase in numbers. More football doesn't mean better football, but l suppose it reflects the fragmentation of the continent and the need for 12 month football seasons.

You should do it. Although it's a hell of an investment and you either don't start or you gotta finish or there's no point. Good fun though :)

I finished the 2014 World Cup album but I'd ran out of steam by the end. There's so many in each album compared to when my dad used to get them back in the 60s.

Hieberrr

I'm so excited for this. The last Euro felt like it was ages ago.

It pains me, but I don't believe Germany can win it this year. We've looked really shaky.

FDC1

Some incidents yesterday night at Marseilles between locals and english supporters (sadly not really a surprise).

Can't wait for tonight, let's go France!

Cappa

Banned
So there is no gaf predictor league for the euro cup?
DerZuhälter;206294661 said:
Thinking about buying a fresh new jersey.
Already own two older french jerseys (2014/2012).

Any recommendations?
Surely the only recommendation is anything relating to Spain.
37129333_xxl.jpg

Cappa

Banned
Whoops it's actually on op but that's more like fantasy league... I'll set up a predictor league if there isn't one already I've looked through pages didn't see it

So there is no gaf predictor league for the euro cup?

Surely the only recommendation is anything relating to Spain.
37129333_xxl.jpg

Looks like a drunk dude's vomit on a white shirt. I rather get the classic red one, than this atrocious rag.

Italy away kit

That's the white one with the colored stripes, right? Looks actually decent. Unfortuately except for Shaarawy I wouldn't want to have any name on my back right now. Except if I go for Pirlo, Verrati or Lolotelli.

PatjuhR

DerZuhälter;206295149 said:
That's the white one with the colored stripes, right? Looks actually decent. Unfortuately except for Shaarawy I wouldn't want to have any name on my back right now. Except if I go for Pirlo, Verrati or Lolotelli.

Yea, the vertical stipes. Do you really want a name on the back?

Yea, the vertical stipes. Do you really want a name on the back?

Let me ask you this: Would you rather like to have 2006 Italy jersey, or a 2006 Italy jersey with Cannavaro's name on the back? A french 1998 shirt, or a french 1998 Zidane shirt?

It gives the jersey more personality and the feel of an era.

PatjuhR

DerZuhälter;206296381 said:
Let me ask you this: Would you rather like to have 2006 Italy jersey, or a 2006 Italy jersey with Cannavaro's name on the back? A french 1998 shirt, or a french 1998 Zidane shirt?

It gives the jersey more personality and the feel of an era.

Yea, it's true. And I guess I can understand that with national kits. It's totally different from club jerseys and I didn't really realise that. Then I also understand that you can't really pick a name from this Italy squad.

Maybe Buffon, but that's kinda weird.

Cappa

Banned
DerZuhälter;206295149 said:
Looks like a drunk dude's vomit on a white shirt. I rather get the classic red one, than this atrocious rag.
U.
Lol I think it looks fantastic and Adidas finally do something besides the standard three stripes.

People complain about how dull Adidas jerseys are and when they do something different it looks like crap lol

kottila

Euro 96 should've been England's tournament. Everything was there and then Southgate misses. I hope he choked on that pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICsasusgA48

Gareth Southgate stood on the spot
Couldn't believe the chance he got
He'd be a hero with one toe punt
But sent it at the keeper oh what a cunt
SOUTHGATE'S GOING HOME, HE'S GOING HOME
SOUTHGATE'S GOING HOME, HE'S GOING HOME
SOUTHGATE'S GOING HOME - OH NO HE'S MISSED THE BUS
Should he hit to the left
Should he hit to the right
Don't really matter coz he was shite
That's the way our luck goes
Couldn't see the ball coz of the size of his nose
If I score this it'll be a killer
Coz they won't let me at Aston Villa
Didn't take a run up for the kick
Even me mum thinks I'm a prick
DANCE NOW WHATEVER YOU WILL BE
BUT HE MISSED THE FUCKING PENALTY
SO WE SMASHED UP THE TOWN
WHEREVER WE MAY BE
COZ HE MISSED THE FUCKING PENALTY

What's going on with Spain? I picked them for the semi-final as their path seemed rather easy in that part of the tournament tree, but losing vs. Georgia?
This got me thinking. Maybe they'll fuck up like they did in Brazil?

Other than that I picked Portugal, Germany and of course France.

Lol I think it looks fantastic and Adidas finally do something besides the standard three stripes.

People complain about how dull Adidas jerseys are and when they do something different it looks like crap lol

Something different is fine. But that one just reminds me of those dark times in the 90s.

spain-94.jpg

8-Germany-1994.jpg

Cameroon always had the best jersey ideas.
PUM_40045_A.jpeg

Cam4.jpg

I'm going with Portugal winning it. Santos' defensive mentality along with their propensity to clinically finish with Ronaldo can win them the big games.

The thing is, our defense is shit. And the big majority of the midfield players are simply not used to play as a strong defensive block. If, for instance, he plays Sporting midfield, we dominated with possession and inside the opposite team midfield 34 games out of 34. And they are used to an extremely advance line of the back four. You won't be able to routine yourself to play an opposite style in a few days of training.

Portuguese players are very gifted technique-wise, and one of the reasons we lose it's because we have dumbfuck coaches who try to mesh styles and restrain that creativity.

And finally, Ronaldo loves to cut to the area where another player is already being a reference to the defensive lineup of the other team. We simply don't have that. We have a somewhat promising striker but Santos is a dumbfuck and didnt called him. We end up being unable to play Ronaldo's biggest strength.

We might get lucky though. It's a tournament. We are very very used to games with lots of incidents. We love that shit. Red's, referees being yelled, faking injuries. We thrive in that sort of environment.

kottila

Holland always have the best jerseys :(

Just took a look at four four twos jersey ranking, and they've almost nailed it. I never thought I'd buy another jersey, but as someone who loves both football and cycling, I'm feeling the urge to get Belgiums away jersey. have to

kottila

Oh England fans abroad. They never change.

If you'd read the stories, they were in a pub drinking and singing when they were attacked by french ultras. Local forces have always picked fights with travelling English supporters, usually with the support of the local police who are more than happy to be allowed to use their clubs on foreign "hooligans". They're "victims" of their own reputation by now.

(I'm not British, or support any of their teams btw)

Cappa

Banned
What's going on with Spain? I picked them for the semi-final as their path seemed rather easy in that part of the tournament tree, but losing vs. Georgia?
This got me thinking. Maybe they'll fuck up like they did in Brazil?

Other than that I picked Portugal, Germany and of course France.
Yikes you picked 3 of the 4 biggest historically underperforming national teams.

Portugal is shit though so it will be no surprise if they get knocked out early.

Spain is also shit they will not do anything.

France has the benefit of being the host nation but they won't do much.

I think this is the tournament for one of Austria Switzerland or Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom