• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDC1

If you'd read the stories, they were in a pub drinking and singing when they were attacked by french ultras. Local forces have always picked fights with travelling English supporters, usually with the support of the local police who are more than happy to be allowed to use their clubs on foreign "hooligans". They're "victims" of their own reputation by now.

(I'm not British, or support any of their teams btw)

Marseilles + drunk English fans is a bad combo. It was already the case during 98 WC.

Cappa

Banned
Belgium gonna fail harder than Portugal, Spain or France.

To much hype
But Belgium actually has a very good team stacked at every position. I personally have not heard any hype on Belgium it's actually been very quiet in the papers. Perhaps in Belgium the feeling is different.

According to the betting odds they aren't even in top 5 favorites

Kain

What's going on with Spain? I picked them for the semi-final as their path seemed rather easy in that part of the tournament tree, but losing vs. Georgia?
This got me thinking. Maybe they'll fuck up like they did in Brazil?

Of course they'll fuck up. Those four years of winning everything were the anomaly, our role is to suck hard while thinking we're the best.

And we currently have keeper drama with Casillas and De Gea, so I'm expecting the press to go crazy no matter who the coach chooses. The moment the chosen one fucks up there will be blood and we'll go home empty handed. Like we have always done.

El Topo

Belgiums is ranked No.2 in the world. There is a ton of hype. They are arguably a big favorite to win the tournament.

PatjuhR

Of course they'll fuck up. Those four years of winning everything were the anomaly, our role is to suck hard while thinking we're the best.

And we currently have keeper drama with Casillas and De Gea, so I'm expecting the press to go crazy no matter who the coach chooses. The moment the chosen one fucks up there will be blood and we'll go home empty handed. Like we have always done.

Is that true? I would've thought De Gea was the easy choice. By far.

Cappa

Banned
Belgiums is ranked No.2 in the world. There is a ton of hype. They are arguably a big favorite to win the tournament.
Did you just mention fifa rankings as an indicator of a teams hype? Lol

Belgium, like I said, aren't even in the top 5 for betting odds to win the tournament.

Read the Guardian bbc etc no one is picking Belgium. Everyone is picking France or Germany.

Cappa

Banned
Is that true? I would've thought De Gea was the easy choice. By far.
He is. Casillas will not play a single minute unless there is an injury and/or we have nothing left to play for. Casillas/de gea talk is just typical Spanish media. There is no controversy there thankfully

Cappa

Banned
Or I read the German newspapers, most of which put Belgium among the favorites.
K but Germany and France are at 16/5 odds to win. And Belgium 12/1.

For someone who is so favored to win they sure do seem to have favorable odds for anyone willing to bet on them lol

Kain

He is. Casillas will not play a single minute unless there is an injury and/or we have nothing left to play for. Casillas/de gea talk is just typical Spanish media. There is no controversy there thankfully

You think so? I'm expecting del Bosque to choose De Gea, then when we lose the first or second match (it will happen, it is known) he will change for Casillas and everything will end up in a shitfest xD

Cappa

Banned
You think so? I'm expecting del Bosque to choose De Gea, then when we lose the first or second match (it will happen, it is known) he will change for Casillas and everything will end up in a shitfest xD
Del bosque is incompetent, but I think he won't do something as stupid as playing iker.

Casillas shouldn't even be on the team... What a horrible season in Porto...

El Topo

For someone who is so favored to win they sure do seem to have favorable odds for anyone willing to bet on them lol

Germany is 5:1 over here, Belgium is 10:1. Fourth-highest. The only thing people seem to hold against Belgium is inexperience and "lol Belgium".

Lego Boss

K but Germany and France are at 16/5 odds to win. And Belgium 12/1.

12/1 are decent odds given their players, but these 'golden generations' rarely perfrom well as a team. Both Portugal and England in years have had 'golden generations' and flattered to deceive.

I was really disappointed with Belgium at the WC. They may be better closer to home, but if they get to the semis I think they will have done well.

If I was the boss I'd just get de Bruyne to route one it to Felliani. Seems like a legit goal threat.

Cappa

Banned
Germany is 5:1 over here, Belgium is 10:1. Fourth-highest. The only thing people seem to hold against Belgium is inexperience and "lol Belgium".
Lol it could probably be that people in Germany are so disappointed with Germans recent results no one expects anything good to happen.

Much like in spain, no one thinks spain is going to do much. Everyone thinks were getting knocked out in groups

bjaelke

Belgium, like I said, aren't even in the top 5 for betting odds to win the tournament.

S9MMQdT.png

From oddschecker.

Did you just mention fifa rankings as an indicator of a teams hype? Lol

Read the Guardian bbc etc no one is picking Belgium. Everyone is picking France or Germany.

I dont think germany has a chance. No schweinsteiger (most probably), no reus, no gundogan. No good striker..

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
But Belgium actually has a very good team stacked at every position. I personally have not heard any hype on Belgium it's actually been very quiet in the papers. Perhaps in Belgium the feeling is different.

According to the betting odds they aren't even in top 5 favorites

There's more hope than hype here in Belgium. We have the talent to do well and there is talk of semis, but not too much over-confidence. It used to be stronger, but faith has dwindled down a bit after losing players, and playing terribly in the last few practice matches. Even though there's Alderweireld and Vertonghen, defense is the Achilles Heel atm.

It's just very disappointing to see all that talent, but never see a real team on the field with attractive play. That's the biggest criticism here: that they get the results needed, but with very unattractive (and slow) football.

Monday's the big test against Italy. Probably the strongest team in our group, so we'll see immediately how things are.

PatjuhR

A problem for Belgium some tv-analist mentioned here is that they have to watch out to not force the best players to play.

Team chemistry is more important than picking the best names and changing the formation so they can all fit in.

Waldini

Would be awesome to have something like that again.

Maybe Croatia?

Spains dominance lasted 4 years. Won the Europan Championship in 2008 and 2012 and took the World Cup. The teams pillars are getting older. Same thing happening with The Netherlands now.

Belgium has great players but isn't a team yet.
Germany will always be one of the top contenders.
England has a great team but a doofus of a coach.
Portugal only has Ronaldo. Everyone else is average.
France have great players and a great team spirit.

But again ... having a great teams means nothing.

I have no idea who will win this one. Could be anyone and that's what makes these tournaments so much fun to watch.

Kain

I would bet on Italy. Those guys know how to compete no matter how shitty their team is (Motta lol).

France playing at home is a good contender too, and they have good players to boot.

Coffinhal

Remember 2004 guys?

Greece won.

Having the best team means nothing.

Spain 2008, 2010, 2012... It certainly means something even if surprises can happen. Leicester proved that.

Also now there are more teams so it's tougher for everyone, especially small teams, to get to the finale and win.

Pls. We know what it's worth, we have seen those guys the whole season and the verdict about Sagna and Evra is pretty clear.

You've seen Rami-Koscielny playing together the whole season ? You've seen things none of us have seen.

clemenx

Banned
2004 wasn't fun to watch

I'm sad that people remember 04' like this. It was so much fun watching Greece making everyone cry. Who cares about beautiful football when it was a 3 week tournament. I'd take the huge upset every time. They also get bonus points from me for not needing penalty kicks. Denmark and Sweden fucking over Italy is the other thing I remember form that Euro. Pretty fun!

Anyways with Germany and Spain seemingly declining this Euro feels like it has no favorites. I do expect Germany to wake up and win tho but would love Belgium to live up to the hype.

bjaelke

I'm sad that people remember 04' like this. It was so much fun watching Greece making everyone cry. Who cares about beautiful football when it was a 3 week tournament. I'd take the huge upset every time. They also get bonus points from me for not needing penalty kicks. Denmark and Sweden fucking over Italy is the other thing I remember form that Euro. Pretty fun!

Anyways with Germany and Spain seemingly declining this Euro feels like it has no favorites. I do expect Germany to wake up and win tho but would love Belgium to live up to the hype.
I'm not going to be enjoying the aftermath if I'm asleep.

I dont think germany has a chance. No schweinsteiger (most probably), no reus, no gundogan. No good striker..

Germany does not rely on single players, the key is the team. And I think the team will work fine. Plus Gomez is a decent striker and Müller will score goals no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom