• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, terrible. So many good players in Belgium, and they're going to waste. Absolutely no cohesion. Speaking as a Belgian, Italy deserved that win.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man this stings, at the bottom of the group with 0. We have to obliterate Ireland on saturday. That loss was well deserved though, I think we were at 20 ish attempts.

Jarnet87

Belgium is the biggest disappointment so far, and at the same time Italy is the biggest surprise.

Belgium gonna Belgium. a lot of individual talent that can't gel together. Also that back line is not good. Lucky for them Sweden and Ireland looked even more dire so they are still very much alive.

CassSept

2016 European Choke Championship.

Both of the goals were quite nice but at the same time both teams were really sloppy. We're almost through with the first round of group stage and nobody turned in an impressive performance. Which is not necessarily the fault of an expanded format as all top teams are playing quite sloppy.

Compared to, say, the first round match between Spain and Italy in 2012. It was mind-numbingly boring, but it was obvious both teams were holding back. I'm not getting an impression that that's the case here.

[Fugo]

As an Italian, a pleasant surprise. On paper this Italy has the worst roster quality of the last 40 years (which have been of a very high standard) and the only star player is Buffon, but the team showed good cohesion against a squad with much higher individual talent.
We can still choke horribly but that was a very good start, if unexpected

The chemistry within the Italian team seems to be really working.
If they really cross the path with Germany in the quarters, I fear the worst for the Mannschaft. Again Italy could be our nemesis.

Alucard

Banned
Congrats to Italy on the victory. I've despised most Italian teams over the past twenty years, especially the way they won the WC against France. But they find a way. Can't argue with results.

[Fugo]

Congrats to Italy on the victory. I've despised most Italian teams over the past twenty years, especially the way they won the WC against France. But they find a way. Can't argue with results.

Please.
The penalty assigned to France was a clear dive by Malouda, and the offside on Toni's goal is VERY suspicious. We also hit a post.
Had the referee been worthy of a WC final, we wouldn't even have gotten to the extra times and the infamous Zidane headbutt.

Belgium are like England's "Golden Generation". Loads of good players, but they aren't a team.

Italy are a dark horse to win it. Great performance.

Firemind

[Fugo];206843819 said:
As an Italian, a pleasant surprise. On paper this Italy has the worst roster quality of the last 40 years (which have been of a very high standard) and the only star player is Buffon, but the team showed good cohesion against a squad with much higher individual talent.
We can still choke horribly but that was a very good start, if unexpected
I mean, did the 2006 team have a very high standard? Cannavaro only earned that contract with Real because of his WC performance. Del Pierro wasn't even in the starting lineup in the final. They had scrappy performances all tournament. That's the Italy I want to see. Teamwork, determination and passion.

Another big game Lukaku has choked in, and he will still have the audacity to say he should be playing CL football and angling for a move.

What a nutmeg.

[Fugo]

I mean, did the 2006 team have a very high standard? Cannavaro only earned that contract with Real because of his WC performance. Del Pierro wasn't even in the starting lineup in the final. They had scrappy performances all tournament. That's the Italy I want to see. Teamwork, determination and passion.

you kidding? Cannavaro had been world's best central defender for years, the 2006 WC was just the climax of an amazing career. He went downhill after that, sure, but he played at that level for 5-6 years at least.
Buffon at its top, Zambrotta as an awesom player capable of playing both as a strong defender and as a fast wing with good techinique, Materazzi who as much as he's hated was a colossus in defending and marking, Pirlo at his best, Totti, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Toni. Nobody in the current team can hold a candle to those in their role.
Thing is, most of them were at the end of their careers. The 2002 team was basically and even stronger version but that WC was plagued by biased refereeing (see S.Korea vs Portugal, Italy and Spain. A real farce.)

I missed watchign the Itlay vs Belgium Game live, so I am watching it recorded, doing a good job not being spoiled, avoiding the last 10 pages of this thread, Facebook, internet in general etc

I figured I'll watch the Apple WWDC 2016 Event that also happened earlier today (just listen to it in the background)

They are showing off new features on the iWatch, and the motherfuckers spoil the game for me, they are demoing updates and bullshit on the watch and they show the score of the Italy v Belgium game, how fucking cunty is that by Apple?

I get it, they are demoing live updates etc. but in expense of spoiling a huge live sporting event? WTF Apple, that arrogance!!

Alucard

Banned
[Fugo];206848145 said:
Please.
The penalty assigned to France was a clear dive by Malouda, and the offside on Toni's goal is VERY suspicious. We also hit a post.
Had the referee been worthy of a WC final, we wouldn't even have gotten to the extra times and the infamous Zidane headbutt.

France felt like the only team interested in scoring that game. That was my main issue with it. Especially in extra time. But that's history now.

yyzjohn

Banned
[Fugo];206852457 said:
you kidding? Cannavaro had been world's best central defender for years, the 2006 WC was just the climax of an amazing career. He went downhill after that, sure, but he played at that level for 5-6 years at least.
Buffon at its top, Zambrotta as an awesom player capable of playing both as a strong defender and as a fast wing with good techinique, Materazzi who as much as he's hated was a colossus in defending and marking, Pirlo at his best, Totti, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Toni. Nobody in the current team can hold a candle to those in their role.
Thing is, most of them were at the end of their careers. The 2002 team was basically and even stronger version but that WC was plagued by biased refereeing (see S.Korea vs Portugal, Italy and Spain. A real farce.)

Don't forget Grosso in 2006. That semi final goal against Germany was amazing. He had a great tournament as well.

[Fugo];206852457 said:

The 2002 team really was incredible, all of that plus Maldini and Nesta in their prime. Trapattoni could have called up Baggio too, he deserved it.

Anyone remember Brand New on Italian MTV that year, with the presenter commenting the games from an alternate reality where Baggio was playing and every game ended with the attainment of world peace.

PatjuhR

Suprisingly the Italians impressed me the most of all teams so far.

I don't see people scoring much against them and they will be capable of creating a few chances for themselves. That Juve defense.

kottila

At least one thing is constant in football championships, me being near the bottom to the bottom in all prediction leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom