• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ennosuke

Fernando Santos is a complete dumbfuck. A born loser who was able to be fired by all big clubs in Portugal. This dude greatest achievement was stopping Porto hegemony when he...coached them. This idiot has one of the rarest opportunities to replicate an entire midfield of a club team and instead does all this fuckery choices, and the result is a pathetic draw with Iceland.

Shame we can't sack him tonight.

Iceland has great fans!

I am not Portugese but I kind of like your country as a football nation and usually root for Portugal. (Of course except when we Germans play against you)

And I have to absolutely agree with you. Santos is destroying all the potential.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Name one country that neutral fans would overwhelmingly want Portugal to win against.

I would say neutral fans, by definition, wouldn't overwhelmingly want either team to win in any contest, at least before it was underway.

Like I said, people just always love the underdog. It would take a hard heart to remain unmoved while watching Iceland's spirited performance, and listening to their wonderful fans, tonight.

Nobody likes Pepe though. Not even the Portuguese.

Classic Portugal. We always do this.

Santos is trash, his reputation is almost as hilarious as it is misterious. Dude basically fucked up everywhere.

Our young players are superb, André Gomes, João Mário, Renato Sanches, Guerreiro, Bernardo Silva, etc. We are crippling this generation with this idiot that they call national coach.

Also, our vintage lack of balls in these moments.. Geez.

Kadayi

Banned
I like Portugal, but given the sheer enormity of Iceland actually even getting into the competition given the size of the populace. Getting a draw is an immense achievement.

Strax

What a great match. Everbody in Iceland went mental when Birkir scored.

Birkir+Bjarnason+Iceland+v+Croatia+aX0iuJ7TuRql.jpg

aqDwC.png

Wow, the iceland anthem is awesome

YES. Wow.

Funny you saying this becuse this has been a hot debate for the last 20 years. Many people want to change it to this

might just be because iceland is rubbish but portugal is looking very dangerous. probably the best 30 minutes from any team so far.

lol wat. Portugal weren't even close to outplaying Iceland in the first 30 mins.

Grats iceland

Their co-trainer is a dentist btw ;)

Co-manager :)

One of my best friends is his dentist partner.

8VFq3rc.gif

I remember an Icelandic guy I follow (CCP dev, EVE Online) said something like 11% of their population is over there.

8%

kottila

Edited post:
Someone quoted him out of context. what he really said:

"I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end, it was unbelievable.

"When they don't try to play and just defend, defend, defend this in my opinion shows a small mentality and are not going to do anything in the competition."

Original post:
CR7: "They celebrated like they had won the Euro cup or something. That's a small mentality. That's why they'll do nothing."

RJT

WTF is it with portuguese people overreacting? 26 shots vs 4 shots. We weren't amazing, but we were unlucky not to win.

Socreges

Banned
CR7: "They celebrated like they had won the Euro cup or something. That's a small mentality. That's why they'll do nothing."
ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

I actually love Portuguese people. At least the ones I know well. But the best known players are Ronaldo and Pepe. And they're two of the least likable players in all of soccer. If it weren't for them I'd have no problem cheering for Portugal.

gutshot

Yeah, I'm sure them celebrating an historic result for their country will be why they won't go far in the tournament and not the fact they are a tiny nation that lacks the talent of huge footballing countries.

What an asinine statement.

la_briola

Ronaldo: "They celebrated like they had won the Euro cup or something. That's a small mentality. That's why they'll do nothing."

Such a douche.

Hahaha! What a fucking dick. Oh man, can't wait for the #CR7 tears.

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

I actually love Portuguese people. At least the ones I know well. But the best known players are Ronaldo and Pepe. And they're two of the least likable players in all of soccer. If it weren't for them I'd have no problem cheering for Portugal.

Yeah, I'm sure them celebrating an historic result for their country will be why they won't go far in the tournament and not the fact they are a tiny nation that lacks the talent of huge footballing countries.

What an asinine statement.

To be fair, that quote is out of context:

"I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end, it was unbelievable.

"When they don't try to play and just defend, defend, defend this in my opinion shows a small mentality and are not going to do anything in the competition."

Socreges

Banned

It's still an absurd thing to say. He's so bitter over the result and so full of himself that he's ignored the context.

Ronaldo: "They celebrated like they had won the Euro cup or something. That's a small mentality. That's why they'll do nothing."

Such a douche.

Whoa Ronaldo!!!

You're wrong man. I love you, but... That doesn't even sound like something you would say.

I think I understand why he says that, I think his mind can't comprehend such "small things". In his mind the small conquests never mattered, only the great things did. He never cared about scoring 5 goals, only 50, he never felt happy making FIFA team of the year, only by being the veery best.

So I think he's just wired this way in this mentality. That's why he mentions " small mentality". He can't understand why they celebrated it that way.

It's a bit like my father, my father was born with cardiac disease with no cure at that point in medicine, he feinted death times by remedying the situation, only at 18 he got a new valve in there to fix his condition for good. For a man that has suffered so long and so hard until he was 18, overcoming death, being on the verge of it, in his mind all other life struggles are absolutely nothing or don't even exist. So when I talk about psychological struggles with him he shows zero compassion. None. He can't comprehend such a "small struggle" I have.

I don't think it's a case of him being a douche plain and simply. I think it's a case that he's brain is wired so differently that he can't understand these things.

However, he should have never said that, no matter if that's how he feels or is as far as his mind can get to because of his "all or nothing" mentality.

Curiously no Portuguese media said a thing about those words... I found out here.

As for the game, one bad error cost the match. We weren't playing great but we were leading so offense could do jack shit for the rest of the game, but the defense could not concede a goal. The mistakes could be afforded in offense but not in defense. And boom it happened.

Quaresma can do nothing with 10 players behind the ball, he's better at fast paced games with more space. However, I understand the coach had to make a sub and so he tried him. It's normal he didn't add anything to the game.

I dislike the 4-4-2 used. Ronaldo as a 9 is a waste of his best qualities. He can still find chances as a 9 as shown today (he wasted tho), but it's simply not Ronaldo playing, just another "ordinary" striker so to speak. I don't know how I'd do a 4-3-3 in all honesty though.

Iceland not surprising at all. Being the 1st game helped them psicologically as all the "small" teams in this tournament. I'm not gonna say these guys are the real deal, but they are good. They made fools out of Netherlands and gifted them a one way ticket to... Home. If that wasn't warning enough for any team in the world, well this has been surely.

Socreges

Banned
Whoa Ronaldo!!!

You're wrong man. I love you, but... That doesn't even sound like something you would say.

I think I understand why he says that, I think his mind can't comprehend such "small things". In his mind the small conquests never mattered, only the great things did. He never cared about scoring 5 goals, only 50, he never felt happy making FIFA team of the year, only by being the veery best.

So I think he's just wired this way in this mentality. That's why he mentions " small mentality". He can't understand why they celebrated it that way.
That's an awfully flattering way to excuse his behaviour. 😉 Portugal was just embarrassed by one of the smallest footballing nations in the world. He reacted immaturely. I think it's quote simple.

Curiously no Portuguese media said a thing about those words... I found out here.
Is it curious? I find this is often the response from Portuguese and Madrid fans to his behaviour. Ignore it. He's a hero yo so many and it's not fun to consider that he's a big child sometimes.

Alucard

Banned

Still bitter AF and the reason most neutral fans can't stand him.

CassSept

Well, he did cry when a team that focused on defending beat them in Euro final.

kottila

some reporter must cut out the middle part of the quote berore he put it on twitter. Stillma salty thing to say, and especially from a guy who lost the Euro 2004 final to Greece!

Kiraly

That's an awfully flattering way to excuse his behaviour. 😉 Portugal was just embarrassed by one of the smallest footballing nations in the world. He reacted immaturely. I think it's quote simple.

Is it curious? I find this is often the response from Portuguese and Madrid fans to his behaviour. Ignore it. He's a hero yo so many and it's not fun to consider that he's a big child sometimes.

'Embarassed by one of the smallest footballing nations in the world' loooooooool

My GF is Portuguese and man oh man. She was very upset. Great game for Iceland, I thought they played really well and deserved the win.

That goal though. That was pretty shocking. My GF never really speaks Portuguese, but I swear I have never heard as many Portuguese swear words from her in my entire life, than in the 30 sec rant that followed.

Next game on the list will England vs Wales. Honestly not sure who's going to come out on to of that. Definatley going to be worth watching.

spekkeh

Banned
Guys, Iceland beat the Netherlands, twice. The Netherlands has almost twice as many inhabitants as Portugal. They also beat and ended well above Turkey in the qualifications (8x the inhabitants of Portugal). Yes their players are almost all second division, but they have a very solid team, it's not that big of an upset as you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom