• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think Portugal played actually really well. The issues they had were mostly in defence, but overall they dominated most of the game.

Alucard

Banned
I want Portugal to win the Euros just to shut you fucks up.

People are allowed to express their opinions, and most neutral fans will always cheer an underdog. Like people have already said, it's more people being happy for Iceland than bashing Portugal.

I like Ronaldo's attitude. Winning mentality.

He's complaining because a team played defense and didn't play positive football. That's fine. But it doesn't change that it's still complaining. The guy is obviously frustrated, but the quote came off as someone who himself has a small mentality about the bigger picture of what that game meant for Iceland, and he didn't talk about his own play there, but chose to shift the focus away from himself and his performance. Also, a guy who performed how he did in that game shouldn't be shitting on the opposition who shut him down.

Alucard

Banned
Ronaldo is right, you should always expect to win and not be pleased with anything else. Being happy with anything less is a loser mentality.

Unless you're a massive underdog and no one expects you to do anything? In that case, a draw against a team that's supposed to be a favourite is still a victory to some degree. Let Iceland fans be happy, and Portuguese fans focus on what Portugal needs to do to win their next two games.

Cappa

Banned
I want Portugal to win the Euros just to shut you fucks up.
Portugal will not win the euro with the shit team and shit manager they have.

Their defense is absolutely atrocious and they have no striker.

Carvalho being a starter at 52 years of age is hilarious.

azyless

Ronaldo is right, you should always expect to win and not be pleased with anything else. Being happy with anything less is a loser mentality.
Some of you have clearly never supported a small team.
God forbid the smallest nation to ever participate in the Euro celebrate an historic result against one of the best teams in Europe.

Kozak

Banned
"I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end, it was unbelievable.

"When they don't try to play and just defend, defend, defend this in my opinion shows a small mentality and are not going to do anything in the competition."

This is a lot better than what the media is trying to portray.

Its still salty af but its nothing new.

The shortened version is a crime against sports imo. You should never ever shit on the small teams..

Anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyway

Turkey to beat Spain 1-0 then proceed to lose to Czech 3-0.

It is known.

Jack cw

It is totally legit to park the bus and counter the hell out of a stronger opposition. It speaks more for Icelands matchplan and tactical skill than it does for Portugal, who couldn't beat that formation.

Cappa

Banned
It is totally legit to park the bus and counter the hell out of a stronger opposition. It speaks more for Icelands matchplan and tactical skill than it does for Portugal, who couldn't beat that formation.
It's just like when people say it's Spain's fault for "playing boring" simply because the other team sits all 11 defenders.

The way the tournament is set up. (best 4 third placed teams advance) why wouldn't teams like Iceland etc sit back and play for the draw? Theoretically, i think you have an 82% chance of advancing to the next round with 3pts and finishing all games 0-0

Cappa

Banned
Spain plays boring because they field 11 midfielders, more than the result of any opponent's formation though.
Right. Just off the top of my head Fernando torres, Dani guiza, David villa, Fernando llorente, Álvaro Morata, Aritz aduriz are all midfielders?

Just because spain played a few games with a false 9 doesn't mean they never use strikers.

spekkeh

Banned
Right. Just off the top of my head Fernando torres, Dani guiza, David villa, Fernando llorente, Álvaro Morata, Aritz aduriz are all midfielders?

Just because spain played a few games with a false 9 doesn't mean they never use strikers.
Outside of Torres being somewhere offside they certainly frequently play like them.

bjaelke

“He’s a fantastic footballer but he’s not a gracious human being,” responded the Malmo central defender [Kari Arnason], who enjoyed a commanding night against Portugal’s front line. “The thing is we almost nicked the win so him saying we weren’t going for the win contradicts that. We got a draw and could have nicked it.

“Obviously we’re not going to create as much chances as a fantastic team like Portugal but his comments are the reason why Messi is always going to be one step ahead of him. You wouldn’t expect Messi to say that. It shows we got under his skin. It was lovely to hear that.”

Ronaldo ended the game embroiled in an argument with the referee and, despite his reluctance to shake hands with Iceland’s players, did so with captain Aron Gunnarsson.

Arnason added: “It makes it even sweeter when he’s a sore loser like that. He can say whatever he wants. He didn’t really get a chance. He got one and he couldn’t put it away. What can I say? Sore loser. Tough shit. What does he expect - for us to play like Barcelona against him? He fannies about and dives around.”
NfyJgt8.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Spain's boring play has nothing to do with the other team. Their game doesn't change even when facing an offensive team. The Kaa of European football.

moojito

2018 world cup is going to be batshit insane.
Also, that russian manager will be dead of a heart attack by half time. Does putin have his family hostage or something?

moojito

Dem Slovaks yo. Also, the bbc stream audio is a bit in front of the picture. Pretty annoying. Anyone else getting that?

Skele7on

Banned
If I was Welsh, I wouldn't even bother going to watch that game vs Russia.

They're gonna be kicking off something awful if they're already out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom