• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolkir

1-0
giphy.gif

2-0
giphy.gif

3-0
giphy.gif

Addi

Damn, Spain is the team to beat this time around (again). Hopefully some of the other big teams start waking up and redeem this boring Euro.

Isco didn´t complete a good season. Saul was in great shape, he should´ve come. Silva played a VERY good first game, don´t know about Cesc, he isn´t impressing me today either.

Well neither did Silva to be fair (have a good season) due to his ankle problems but the Spanish team are much better with them both on the field due to the movement they create of the ball. Always push and pull defenders and midfielders making room for other players especially Morata and Nolito. Since they came off there has been close to no movement going forward.

Kozak

Banned
Will be interesting to watch the Czech game and find out if we really suck or Croatia and Spain are really that much better than us.

Euro Soccer fans need to get it together. As someone who has been watching the Copa America, and seeing well behaved non-violent fans in all matches in that tournament, it's crazy to hear what has been going on almost on a daily basis in Euro Cup. Why is this happening?

Euro Soccer fans need to get it together. As someone who has been watching the Copa America, and seeing well behaved non-violent fans in all matches in that tournament, it's crazy to hear what has been going on almost on a daily basis in Euro Cup. Why is this happening?

...European Ultras are shit disturbers...

It is all organised. It isn't just a bunch of people just randomly having a fight because they are pissed up. You have the new ultras of Eastern Europe and the old English firms that went underground towards the end of the 80's but have latched onto the international game instead. Russian ultras and English firms have been meeting up for years as the Russians (as well as the Polish) filled a niche that didn't exist in England. There was a fare in a small London park a few years back that got stormed by a bunch of Polish Ultras, they were there to meet up with the Millwall firm and bunch of people that were out for a nice day got targeted instead.

In Russia and few other countries officials have a strange perception that hooliganism is still a norm. You just have to look at the problems CSK Moscow have had in the CL and what the governments in those countries let the Ultras get away with.

JDB

Banned
We're just so passionate we turn into cunts. Americans wouldn't understand.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Yeah... about that...

Alucard

Banned
Only caught the first half and the 3rd goal, but Spain looked sublime. Man. That said, this has been a pretty bland tournament overall so far, and utterly frustrating and embarrassing due to the violence.

T-Rex.

Banned
nvm

Edit: The matches have been fairly boring so far, but it's to be expected from the group stages considering the new format.

prudislav

Rosicky injured again :-O Still surprised he did not give up yet , iguess ending a carreer should be the right choice for his own health eve though when he is fine he is still one of the best players on the filed

Kozak

Banned
So Turkey are out?

If they beat Czech Republic in their final game they can be one of the teams that go through in third but they'd likely need a victory by a big margin.

I'm sure theres some weird combination of events that could happen that would just need a win from Turkey regardless of goals.

Best bet is we win the last game and let the stat guys figure it out haha

Syder

I'm sure theres some weird combination of events that could happen that would just need a win from Turkey regardless of goals.
I don't know about that, Turkey have their work cut out for them.
As of June 17th this is how 3rd placed advancement to the knockout round stands:
The four best third-placed teams are determined according to the following criteria:
Higher number of points obtained
Superior goal difference
Higher number of goals scored
Fair play conduct
Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system

Kozak

Banned
I don't know about that, Turkey have their work cut out for them.
As of June 17th this is how 3rd placed advancement to the knockout round stands:
The four best third-placed teams are determined according to the following criteria:
Higher number of points obtained
Superior goal difference
Higher number of goals scored
Fair play conduct
Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system

Those 1 pointers are what I mean tho.

We verse Czech Republic next. If we beat them, we leap frog them.

If a bunch of 3rd placed and 4th placed teams draw with who their vsing, we might just sneak in with just our points.

Assuming we beat Czech Republic heh

spekkeh

Banned
Stadium security remains a complete mess, and that while there is a huge terrorism alert. It continues to baffle me. That firecracker could have easily been a pipe bomb.

azyless

Lack of ID check is disturbing
Taking the time to check the ID of 40 000+ people entering a stadium at more or less the same time would probably be as dangerous. And what do you do about tickets that were given/sold by random people ? It's not realistic to want a systematic ID check.

Stadium security remains a complete mess, and that while there is a huge terrorism alert. It continues to baffle me.
You won't stop a terrorist attack with stadium security, no matter how well prepared they are.

bjaelke

If you bought four tickets from uefa, the buyers name would be on all four tickets. Id control can't work. Impossible to require id control when tickets are given out through lotteries many months before the tournament.

So change how tickets are distributed. UEFA/France should've been on top of the issue given recent events.

So change how tickets are distributed. UEFA/France should've been on top of the issue given recent events.

This! True fans wouldn't mind the extra steps involved when purchasing tickets. As for security checks... Have people arrive earlier so that you can be more thorough.

Coffinhal

I'm surprised how bad France handle the situation. One would think that France would know it better after 1998.

What happens in the stadiums is the responsibility of the UEFA. They took control 3 weeks ago.

Glad to see that the topic is almost exclusively related to security issues, it's good to here so many experts on gaf
that don't even know who's in charge of what

What happens in the stadiums is the responsibility of the UEFA. They took control 3 weeks ago.

Glad to see that the topic is almost exclusively related to security issues, it's good to here so many experts on gaf
that don't even know who's in charge of what

If you wanna play that card, you should maybe know it better first.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is rumoured to be the Belgium line-up for this afternoon: Courtois, Meunier, Vermaelen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Witsel, Dembélé, De Bruyne, Hazard, Carrasco and Lukaku. Fellaini, Nainggolan and Ciman benched. A lot of people wanted to see Dembélé in the team, so I hope that's the actual line-up. Hoping De Bruyne plays a good match, he was terrible against Italy.

Ringo

This is rumoured to be the Belgium line-up for this afternoon: Courtois, Meunier, Vermaelen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Witsel, Dembélé, De Bruyne, Hazard, Carrasco and Lukaku. Fellaini, Nainggolan and Ciman benched. A lot of people wanted to see Dembélé in the team, so I hope that's the actual line-up. Hoping De Bruyne plays a good match, he was terrible against Italy.

All Belgians were terrible against Italy...like they had a collective off-day.
Witsel is still incontournable?

Lego Boss

There's too many good players in that team for it to be anything other than coaching.

I'm not convinced they will win today, EIRE will be snapping at them like dogs with beetroot. No chance to settle.

I think EIRE might sneak it . . .

Addi

So how do they pick which third place will meet which first place? If we take the best 3rd places as of right now, C,B,F and D, how will they be spread out in this set up?

Saturday 25 June, 18.00 (Paris): Winner B v Third-place A/C/D – Match 2
Saturday 25 June, 21.00 (Lens): Winner D v Third-place B/E/F – Match 3
Sunday 26 June, 15.00 (Lyon): Winner A v Third-place C/D/E – Match 4
Sunday 26 June, 18.00 (Lille): Winner C v Third-place A/B/F – Match 5

Jamie OD

Won't be around to watch the Ireland game. Gonna have to warn my non-football loving friends that I might flip their table in anger or happiness at some point today.

Joni

That is a Belgian team for which I can actually root although it could do without Hazard. Main important thing is De Bruyne on the 10 instead on left.

kottila

This! True fans wouldn't mind the extra steps involved when purchasing tickets. As for security checks... Have people arrive earlier so that you can be more thorough.

Sure they could change it, but it's too late now. I have second hand tickets for the semi, so they better not change the system now! There are apparantly three levels of security checks, but you can't find all flares without doing strip searches. It's impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom