• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKaepora

I genuinely don't understand Portugal. Not only do they have Ronaldo in their team, but in general they have a fairly solid team. How can they not get results in these kind of tournaments.
Because everyone is obligated to give the ball to Ronaldo.

We have a good midfield but when your idea of football it's just kick an air ball looking for Ronaldo in the middle of a well organised defence... you'll have trouble scoring that way.

And Fernando Santos was very poor in today's subs. Take Quaresma out when he was being one of the best elements in the front? Leave Nani on the field when he had a bad second half? Keep letting Eder in to the game with the hope that he will have a stroke of genius and resolve the game? Come on, either you put Eder from the beginning and put Ronaldo in the wing, where is place is, or just keep with the idea of having Ronaldo in the center of the attack and put fast midfielders in the wings.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I genuinely don't understand Portugal. Not only do they have Ronaldo in their team, but in general they have a fairly solid team. How can they not get results in these kind of tournaments.

i'm not sure what kind of results you're expecting. they crashed and burned in the last world cup, sure, but their results in the last 4 euros have been semi, final, quarter, semi, and they finished 4th in the world cup in 2006. they also lost to spain in all three of spain's recent championship runs.

basically, their results in the world cup could certainly have been better, but their results in euros are not at all surprising. if anything, i'd say they have overperformed when you consider they have been up against teams like spain, germany, france and italy.

pulsemyne

Because they don't play as a team. It is individuals out for themselves.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Every single competition is like this for us, always needing to bring out the sheet and the calculator for the last moment to see if we can pass the group phase, it's honestly normal for us now, we're just a team that's destined to suffer until the very last moment, and that one can be good (we pass) or bad (like the last WC).

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Every single competition is like this for us, always needing to bring out the sheet and the calculator for the last moment to see if we can pass the group phase, it's honestly normal for us now, we're just a team that's destined to suffer until the very last moment, and that one can be good (we pass) or bad (like the last WC).

except euro 2012 and 2008, and world cup 2010 and 2006.

seriously, with the exception of 2014, which was terrible for portugal, a draw in the final match has pretty much always been enough to ensure advancing to the next round in the recent past, and sometimes not even that was necessary.

don't really see where this narrative of portugal being underachievers is coming from. they constantly perform pretty much how you should reasonably expect them to. now that they played couple matches they were unlucky not to win people are getting all dramatic. and still a draw is most likely enough to go through.

MUnited83

For you.

Because for the last few years they are not a team that plays together, they are a team that plays for Ronaldo. One would think they would stop treating him like's Jesus fuckin Christ, but no.

oti

Banned

We broke them.
🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷

oti

Banned
data.jpg.webp

Because for the last few years they are not a team that plays together, they are a team that plays for Ronaldo. One would think they would stop treating him like's Jesus fuckin Christ, but no.

Exactly this.

I heard stats last night that Ronaldo has missed 4 of his last 5 penalties, his freekick scoring %age is very low over recent matches. So why is he still first in line to do them.

But can you honestly see anyone in the Portuguese team turning around to Ronaldo and telling him he isn't taking freekicks and penalties. It would be a tantrum of epic proportions.

He has a hell of a talent, but he really needs to work as part of the team more and realise others may be in a better position at that time to do these things. He wants the glory to be all about him, There's a reason he is always the 5th penalty taker in a shoot-out.

tomtom94

So we start with the group where there shouldn't be too many surprises in the last two games... (and where France and Switzerland can both afford a 0-0 draw)

FDC1

Not even close. Better than '12.

And people complaining about the number of teams, did you hate 82-94 WCs?

I understand the '82 had a round robin or whatever, but 86, 90, 94 were great.

Outside of the Cameroon run, 90 WC was horrible

Rad-

I feel like Portugal doesn't have players other than Ronaldo who are willing to step in when it matters. People say it's just about Ronaldo being Ronaldo but look at Real. When Ronaldo has a bad game there they can still win because they have other players who have the balls to fight the pressure and come forward. Portugal has only Ronaldo. They have some talented players but lack in mentality. Probably partly a manager issue as well.

Oersted

Messi gets treated like Jesus fuckin Christ but he seems more interested in supporting his team mates. His assist yesterday was one for the ages.

These have been great Euros. Just because teams are smashing one another doesn't make it a bad tournament. Watching teams such as Iceland, Hungary, Albania and Romania actually holding there own against some of the more decent teams has been really enjoyable. Tight games are so much better than one-sided ones.

These have been great Euros. Just because teams are smashing one another doesn't make it a bad tournament. Watching teams such as Iceland, Hungary, Albania and Romania actually holding there own against some of the more decent teams has been really enjoyable. Tight games are so much better than one-sided ones.

Some of the most enjoyable games I've watched have been where the likes of Iceland and Albania have put in hard working team performances and gotten a result or come close to one. Gutted for Iceland conceding so late on. Be good for them to progress onwards after Ronaldos comments

I agree with you, I mean, I loved NED/SPA 5-1 and BRA/GER 1-7 at the World Cup but most of these games have been so tense and to the wire that I've really enjoyed them. They don't need to be high scoring to be fun or interesting, that's how they trick people into thinking American football is a good sport.

Anyway, France and Switzerland play tonight and I'm really hyped for that.

Ok so a Romania-Albania draw today and then Italy and Belgium to win or draw their final games, would mean Turkey will go through with a victory on Tuesday.

There are other combinations from other groups which are more unlikely, so I'll simplify it and hope for these.

Weckum

I agree with you, I mean, I loved NED/SPA 5-1 and BRA/GER 1-7 at the World Cup but most of these games have been so tense and to the wire that I've really enjoyed them. They don't need to be high scoring to be fun or interesting, that's how they trick people into thinking American football is a good sport.

Anyway, France and Switzerland play tonight and I'm really hyped for that.

That game was absolutely glorious though :)

Beefy

@archiert1
Quite the analogy from Mario Götze today. On recent criticism of him: "Sometimes you are the dog, sometimes you are the tree."

Firemind

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36569947

Roy Hodgson's contract as England boss will be renewed if the team "do well" and "play well" at Euro 2016, says Football Association chief Greg Dyke.

"Clearly if you get to semi-finals, that's success," Dyke told Sportsweek. "If we've played well and unfortunately lost against a good team or on penalties [in the quarter-finals] then that's a discussion that will go on."
So if England plays bad and don't reach the semis...
jose.png

Coffinhal

Lots of surprises from the small teams that can be on par with the biggest ones. Plus they know how to support their players.

I don't understand the "too many teams" argument.

El Topo

Bayern Munich 0 - 4 Real Madrid in the CL semi-finals comes to mind, what a game that was.

Total humiliation for the then title-holders.

Please. If you want to pretend that one of those games comes close, go with the 0-4 against Barcelona from 2009. It shook Bayern to its core. That game made Udo Lattek cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom