• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addi

Here is a table that shows which third place the group winners of A,B,C and D will meet.
On the left are the different combinations of best third and then a list of which group winner they will meet. Complicated as fuck.

MDDGZSJ.jpg

Kiraly

Please. If you want to pretend that one of those games comes close, go with the 0-4 against Barcelona from 2009. It shook Bayern to its core. That game made Udo Lattek cry.

I wasn't completely serious, was just fuckin' with Blablurn.

Here is a table that shows which third place the group winners of A,B,C and D will meet.
On the left are the different combinations of best third and then a list of which group winner they will meet. Complicated as fuck.

MDDGZSJ.jpg

Hungary fucked either way if they manage to end up in third, Germany or Spain awaits.

Kozak

Banned
Ok so a Romania-Albania draw today and then Italy and Belgium to win or draw their final games, would mean Turkey will go through with a victory on Tuesday.

There are other combinations from other groups which are more unlikely, so I'll simplify it and hope for these.

Fingers crossed man. Just hoping we get a win for a bit of morale. It would ease my mind too haha.

Some of the most enjoyable games I've watched have been where the likes of Iceland and Albania have put in hard working team performances and gotten a result or come close to one. Gutted for Iceland conceding so late on. Be good for them to progress onwards after Ronaldos comments

Most people don't see it that way. They're rooting for the best only. The Euros are always great for the smaller teams.

Ive even enjoyed Turkey despite our poor play. Its nice seeing your country battling it out against the best teams in the world.

All bout that perspective.

amanset

Explanation of the probes:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36570929

The Hungarian federation is charged with crowd disturbances, the setting off of fireworks and the throwing of objects during their draw with Iceland.

The Belgian association is charged with the setting off of fireworks and the throwing of objects during their win over Republic of Ireland, while Portugal are charged with a field invasion during the draw with Austria.

Oersted

Field invasion aka selfie guy. Little bit over the top to charge for this. Especially when its the stewards job, not Portugal's, to prevent that.

amanset

Field invasion aka selfie guy. Little bit over the top to charge for this. Especially when its the stewards job, not Portugal's, to prevent that.

This is the way it always is. Within a stadium it is the Association/Federations responsibility and if the supporters misbehave then it is the Association/Federation that gets in trouble. As well as the fan(s) involved.

Fingers crossed man. Just hoping we get a win for a bit of morale. It would ease my mind too haha.

Most people don't see it that way. They're rooting for the best only. The Euros are always great for the smaller teams.

Ive even enjoyed Turkey despite our poor play. Its nice seeing your country battling it out against the best teams in the world.

All bout that perspective.

Seeing the players/countries I don't know so well is my favourite part of these tournaments (I guess because Turkey are rarely in it, so I always find joy in seeing the other "lesser" countries).

Eg. at the World Cups I'm always interested in Japan, Australia, the lesser South American team, the African teams.

The known quantities (Western Europe + Brazil and Argentina) bore the hell out of me. There's too much hype and sycophantry by fans. We see these guys every year in the CL.

Don't me wrong though. I eagerly anticipate the knockout stage when the good teams start playing each other and we can get down to business.

Facism

Gold Member
Ok so a Romania-Albania draw today and then Italy and Belgium to win or draw their final games, would mean Turkey will go through with a victory on Tuesday.

There are other combinations from other groups which are more unlikely, so I'll simplify it and hope for these.

best to let it go. We're getting nothing from this team, this horrible lineup that has no actual REAL CBs on the pitch, or this charlatan manager. Turkish FA needs an FBI corruption probe.

best to let it go. We're getting nothing from this team, this horrible lineup that has no actual REAL CBs on the pitch, or this charlatan manager. Turkish FA needs an FBI corruption probe.

But if we get through it'll be knockouts and by that stage who knows. Our players are actually good, they just aren't self-confident. Maybe getting through would give them that confidence boost.

Oersted

This is the way it always is. Within a stadium it is the Association/Federations responsibility and if the supporters misbehave then it is the Association/Federation that gets in trouble. As well as the fan(s) involved.

I know, but this was such a minor harmless occurence and there is pretty much nothing Portugal could have done about it.

Facism

Gold Member
But if we get through it'll be knockouts and by that stage who knows. Our players are actually good, they just aren't self-confident. Maybe getting through would give them that confidence boost.

Can't agree, mate. Too much rot in the turkish football setup. Been like that for decades. Institution needs gutting

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It'll just be some fines.

Why on earth are games scheduled at the same time now when there's only 2 per day?

Final games of the group need to be played at the same time. To prevent teams from making an agreement for a draw for example.

Maybe UEFA should open probes into the terrible policing and stewarding of this tournament? You're always going to have moronic supporters following every country that can go off at a moment's notice but some decent policing can go a long way to preventing it.

Some serious questions need to be asked about the in-stadium security. Very worrying that so many fans have been able to smuggle items in.

The more worrying thing for me is how is the world cup going to be policed in 2 years time when you have Russian officials supporting the hooligan behaviour.

Today's games sound lame, I'm skipping today. I find Switzerland to be the 2nd most boring team in the universe.

But I am torn tomorrow, because Wales vs Russia and England vs Slovakia are both highly interesting. ,,,, hmmm Larry David gif

Ferd2

Neo Member
Outside of the Cameroon run, 90 WC was horrible

Point taken, but I don't think it was the fault of the format, when 2/3 were great. Furthermore, some historical shit went down that cup i.e. a UEFA team beating CONMEBOL in a final for the first time.

I think we need to wait to see the how good the Round of 16 is before we can judge this tournament. The group matches have been a lot more tentative and tactical - almost like first leg CL matches, except without that 2nd leg - but I like the unpredictability, so far.

Point taken, but I don't think it was the fault of the format, when 2/3 were great. Furthermore, some historical shit went down that cup i.e. a UEFA team beating CONMEBOL in a final for the first time.

I think we need to wait to see the how good the Round of 16 is before we can judge this tournament. The group matches have been a lot more tentative and tactical - almost like first leg CL matches, except without that 2nd leg - but I like the unpredictability, so far.

I'm thinking if they want to expand the tournament they should just go all the way and have 32 teams, then there's no bollocks 3rd placed teams going through.

Mind you, I have enjoyed working out the mathematical scenarios thanks to the 3rd place going through format. It's also slightly exciting, adds a wildcard element to it.

But really they should just go back to 16 team format.

Ferd2

Neo Member
I'm thinking if they want to expand the tournament they should just go all the way and have 32 teams, then there's no bollocks 3rd placed teams going through.

Mind you, I have enjoyed working out the mathematical scenarios thanks to the 3rd place going through format. It's also slightly exciting, adds a wildcard element to it.

But really they should just go back to 16 team format.

If you're gonna go 32, invite some top teams from other federations maybe, aka Copa America. That way San Marino doesn't have a -38 GD.

Addi

French team for tonight, they are resting a lot of players:

Lloris (cap.) - Jallet, Rami, Koscielny, Evra - Sissoko, Cabaye, Pogba - Griezmann, Gignac, Payet

EDIT: Apparently this was wrong, no Jallet, still Sagna, but Coman instead of Payet

bjaelke

Excited to see Gignac starting. Been bossing the Mexican league (although judging by last night's performance that's not necessarily something to brag about).

Lego Boss

England will draw, Wales will win

I think it's interesting that a lot of people are overlooking the fact that Wales can still win the group.

In spite of that l don't see England not getting the win here. I'm hopeful that it can be comfortable so that we can demonstrate that we can finish as well as create openings.

Syder

Some serious questions need to be asked about the in-stadium security. Very worrying that so many fans have been able to smuggle items in.
Not only that but I suspect the stewards are poorly/untrained and are underpaid for what they're expected to do. While it was idiotic of the Croatian fans to be throwing flares onto the pitch the steward who picked a lit firecracker up shows how these people aren't being trained how to deal with them. I mean, who walks over to a lit firework and picks it up?

Not only that but I suspect the stewards are poorly/untrained and are underpaid for what they're expected to do. While it was idiotic of the Croatian fans to be throwing flares onto the pitch the steward who picked a lit firecracker up shows how these people aren't being trained how to deal with them. I mean, who walks over to a lit firework and picks it up?

He most likely thought it was a flare.

From the footage it looked more like he was a press photographer than a steward. He seemed to have his camera in front of him if I recall correctly. Not really an excuse for approaching it though.

edit - just looked through again and it turns out it more was more a litter picking piece of equipment and a manbag on his back rather than a camera and tripod that i initially thought. Turn out they were "fire marshalls". Which makes it even worse.

Syder

edit - just looked through again and it turns out it more was more a litter picking piece of equipment and a manbag on his back rather than a camera and tripod that i initially thought. Turn out they were "fire marshalls". Which makes it even worse.
It's hilarious really. I really hope they don't seriously regret the lackadaisical security.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Nice article on the Romania vs. Albania game today on ESPN:

Romania vs. Albania a potential classic encounter at Euro 2016

It's all or nothing

Romania vs. Albania doesn't look like much on paper, but it could be a classic. Stop laughing at the back. Here are two unfancied teams, cursed by misfortune, with one possible qualifying spot to play for. There's no point playing for a draw.

Albania don't know when they're beaten

Most teams would have folded after losing their captain in the first half of their first game, but Gianni di Biasi's men just seemed to ignore Lorik Cana's red card and then went on the offensive. Switzerland were leading by a single goal and yet they found themselves hanging on against the most unlikely of counterattacks. Albania were the Black Knight, shrugging off lost limbs with raving defiance, unsettling the Swiss with their utter refusal to acknowledge the gravity of the situation.

http://www.espnfc.us/european-champ...ia-a-potential-classic-encounter-at-euro-2016

Much more at the link.

It should be a great game. What's funny is the one goal the Swiss scored on Albania was an assist by Shaqiri a player who's family originates from Kosovo.

He wanted to play for his home country, good on him, but there is a lot of talk amongst, Albanians and former Albanian soccer players, that if we could get some of our extremely talented players from Switzerland, Germany, Belgium and bring them to play for Albania we would make some noise in the EuroCup and International games.

The talent is there but it's a very young program with a ton of talent and limited resources, as of right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom