• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Meh, us Scots just get drunk and join the Irish fans anyway. Every time I visit America everyone thinks I'm Irish.

In all honesty even if we managed to scrape our way in, we'd be one of the teams going home on 1 point. Maybe even 0. Our national team has been shite for ages and we breed terrible footballers. I'll blame the weather and our lack of vitamin D.

Floody

I honestly think Iceland will be a difficult game Monday

They're not pushovers, and we're not exactly great either

Would have honestly preferred Portugal, we've shown we can't do fuck all if a team just decides to defend, we'll just pass the ball around all game and tire ourselves out, and Portugal doesn't defend much.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Would have honestly preferred Portugal, we've shown we can't do fuck all if a team just decides to defend, we'll just pass the ball around all game and tire ourselves out, and Portugal doesn't defend much.
Same here mate
Every team in the last round of 16 will be a threat. Germany only managed a 1-0 win over northern Island. 1 freaking nil
Aye that's very true, all teams will be hungry for it

Just_one

If somehow Portugal gets its shit together from now on (which i hope it will happen!) and eliminates Croatia , i think we can go all the way and win the final (hopefully against France...we have some shit to avenge from other tournments)

Usually Portugal against "smaller" teams has a tendecy to play really bad so maybe against Croatia we can finally play a little better.

Also about today´s game we got a lot of bad luck , 2 of their goals the ball touched on one of your players , one even fouled Patricio.

Magni

Are we doing a bracket challenge for those of us who missed the group stage one? Gonna be a bloodbath in the bottom half.

Joni

No. I am not a big football fan, but cycling is the most borring sport imaginable. It's so exciting the commentator can fill half of his time spewing touristic trivia. (And i hate michel wuyts)'. Also doped as fuck.

That said

beeeeeeelgiuuuuum!!!!

It is a sport that learns you something about the environment, where people earn epic names like The Machine and The Gorilla, where they get hit by a motorcycle and consider actually finishing a race. Compare that to a sport that looks like the one Simpson episode about soccer. As such, sunday I'll be enjoying the Belgian championship cycling.

Certainly be more interesting than watching England kicking the ball at a wall for 120 minutes.

MrS

Banned
They're still not an overly strong team and are with us and the ROI as the three worst in the last 16.
They've already won against Slovakia so I'm not sure how you can say they're weaker than them. I'd also fancy Wales to beat Hungary, Iceland and Switzerland. They're much better than ROI and NI.

Love this photo

2vATkWo.jpg

Yeah, British teams stealing our jobs places!

Can you imagine how good a British team with an actual great player like Bale and decent keepers like any of the other would be?

England actually has a good keeper, but for some reason he's sat on the bench whilst Mr. Head and Shoulders fannies about in goal.

The problem with a Great Britain side is that everyone would want to be fairly represented. There'd be some ridiculous rule stating that the team must have an equal amount of Scots and Welsh and...

The fact is, Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey aside, no one is better than what England already has.

I'd very much like to see a Great Britain side for the Olympics all the time though.

Doc_Drop

Believe it. Personally, win or lose, I'd rather watch a game of football than a 120 min game of Spot followed by the penalties lottery.

I may be proven wrong but I'm not overly concerned about Iceland. Portugal on the other hand have some great players and we have a difficult history regarding major championships, I'd fear that 2-3 of our players would get sent off after being antagonised by some of Portugal's professional wind-up merchants

Lego Boss

I can't honestly believe an England fan would want to play Portugal over Iceland

It's interesting as England have had some good results against some of the top teams recently (France were suffering, so I guess we should discount that one). However, when we've played Germany and to a lesser extent Holland, they looked OK.

Really, what it's about is that if we got knocked out by Portugal we can call the Wahmbulance and say 'but look at all of their great players'.

When we get knocked out by Iceland, the excuses well is dry (apart from, 'yeah, but they eat whales and we beat them in the first round').

The longer it takes for England to score against Iceland the harder that game is going to be for us to win. We know we can't break defensive teams down and as we press more and more Iceland could punish us with a counter.

If we score early then I can see it being the big blowout result that Roy has been promising. If we haven't scored by half time I can see Iceland winning 1-0

I would much rather see England progress, but it would be amazing for Iceland to continue this fantastic run.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The longer it takes for England to score against Iceland the harder that game is going to be for us to win. We know we can't break defensive teams down and as we press more and more Iceland could punish us with a counter.

If we score early then I can see it being the big blowout result that Roy has been promising. If we haven't scored by half time I can see Iceland winning 1-0

I would much rather see England progress, but it would be amazing for Iceland to continue this fantastic run.

he actually promised something like that?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sucks that we (Sweden) lost and got eliminated after what was by far our best game (in which we also scored the first goal, which was stolen from us). This game really could have gone either way, we were better than Belgium a lot of the time. But now we're gone, Ibrahimovic is gone, and also Isaksson and Källström (who both did more useful things than Zlatan in this game). The state of Swedish football is just sadness (or would be if I cared that much about football).

If we had only played against Ireland as we did yesterday! Oh well.

operon

Really proud we beat Italy and made it through last night.
I don't think Iceland will be such a pushover as a lot of the English pundits think. England have found it hard to break down good defences and Iceland have defended well

Really proud we beat Italy and made it through last night.
I don't think Iceland will be such a pushover as a lot of the English pundits think. England have found it hard to break down good defences and Iceland have defended well

Nobody thinks Iceland are push overs, they've made it this far for a reason. But realistically speaking they're a bit less scary than Portugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom