• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_DvA

Ireland has good fans though, they're funny and pretty cool, hope for a good match with a great fighting spirit tomorrow !! do your best ; )

jts

...hate me...
I just think people tend to forget easily that Portugal qualified for the last 6 out of 6 euros.

And in all 6 they always got at least quarter-finals.

In 2 of them reached the semi-finals.
In 1 of them reached the final.
The remaining 1 is still ongoing.

Just last Euro Portugal lost to Spain (the winner, and world champion at the time) in the semi-finals. By a penalty shootout! And Spain went to win the final by 4-0.

It’s challenging to find a better record, although admittedly there are, namely the winners in that timeframe. But these are top records nonetheless. So it’s just insane that people say “wow Portugal in the quarter-finals” because you can’t find any team as commonplace to be there, if you’re not Germany, France, Spain or Italy. And the QF get 8 teams.

Of course, Portugal can still be considered an outsider in the race for the title for the simple fact that it is a traditionally choking team in crucial moments. Final against Greece being the poster-child for that, but there’s also a handball that gave France a golden goal penalty in a semi-final, and last Euro's PK shootout against Spain. So there’s a big psych surrounding the team, with the pressure of never having won anything.

For that reason alone I really liked how cynical Portugal were today, being 24 hours less rested that Croatia. It feels like they finally reaped the benefits of being an experienced team.

Undeniably, it is a golden opportunity to reach another final. But Portugal also tends to mess up when it is the easiest (see: group stage). So we’ll see.

Alucard

Banned
Poland vs. Portugal in a knockout game is the stuff my childhood dreams were made of. Most of my friends and classmates growing up were Portuguese, so soccer was always a big topic of discussion around World Cup and Euro time. My friends had more to talk about, as Poland's international record was less than stellar in the 90s. That said, this game is over 20 years in the making for me, and it's a chance for Poland to imprint an emotional victory in my mind. I'm not sure how much of a shot they have against Portugal, but it doesn't feel hopeless, as Portugal seem to have stumbled ass backwards to get this far.

jts

...hate me...
Poland vs. Portugal in a knockout game is the stuff my childhood dreams were made of. Most of my friends and classmates growing up were Portuguese, so soccer was always a big topic of discussion around World Cup and Euro time. My friends had more to talk about, as Poland's international record was less than stellar in the 90s. That said, this game is over 20 years in the making for me, and it's a chance for Poland to imprint an emotional victory in my mind. I'm not sure how much of a shot they have against Portugal, but it doesn't feel hopeless, as Portugal seem to have stumbled ass backwards to get this far.
They played in World Cup 2002.

Courage

For that reason alone I really liked how cynical Portugal were today, being 24 hours less rested that Croatia. It feels like they finally reaped the benefits of being an experienced team.

Fernando-Santos.jpeg

Mr. Cynical himself will lead you to glory by not giving a single fuck about what anyone has to say.

Alx

They're people who think Ireland will beat France tomorrow ? is that for real lol...

Everything is possible with France, for better or worse. :) Also they haven't been great until now, mostly won thanks to one goal in the last minutes, and don't have a great defense.

hom3land

About to head out to lyon. Anyone been to the games? Curious what the security procedures are. the website says to get there 3 hours early. Seems abit extreme.

Cappa

Banned
So is Portugal the best team to never win a Euro statisticly? Cause thats a lot of quarter finals achieved.
Well considering the quarter finals were directly after group stages in every euro besides this one(in which it was expanded) no its nothing special.

correojon

What if this is the year Ronaldo finally leads Portugal to a trophy.

cr71.png
But is he leading the team? Apart from his goals in the previous match his performance has been poor. Modric, Iniesta, Payet or Messi in the American Cup among others are leading their teams, Cristiano is performing nowhere near them for example. It's like the final of the Champions, where apart from scoring the last penalty he did nothing but still seemed to take the credit.

Cappa

Banned
But is he leading the team? Apart from his goals in the previous match his performance has been poor. Modric, Iniesta, Payet or Messi in the American Cup among others are leading their teams, Cristiano is performing nowhere near them for example. It's like the final of the Champions, where apart from scoring the last penalty he did nothing.
Ronaldo has been great at throwing hissy fits on the field though!

jts

...hate me...
So is Portugal the best team to never win a Euro statisticly? Cause thats a lot of quarter finals achieved.

Us and England. Also worth mentioning, Yuguslavia.

Well considering the quarter finals were directly after group stages in every euro besides this one(in which it was expanded) no its nothing special.

Yes by far in the recent decades.

In comparison England have reached the semi-finals last time 20 years ago, didn’t make it past the group stage in Euro 2000, and didn’t even qualify to Euro 2008 LOL

Haunted

Belgium are already licking their chops. This is the easiest road to the finals of a major tournament since Germany's run in 2002.

But we'll see.

Hopefully the games today are more interesting than the last two games yesterday. Yeah, the odds are pretty one-sided on paper, but that just means that upsets are all the more dramatic.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
But is he leading the team? Apart from his goals in the previous match his performance has been poor. Modric, Iniesta, Payet or Messi in the American Cup among others are leading their teams, Cristiano is performing nowhere near them for example. It's like the final of the Champions, where apart from scoring the last penalty he did nothing but still seemed to take the credit.

modric just led his team out of the competition.

panty

Yeah but he was much more relevant to his team in the competition than Ronaldo. Just from Real Madrid, Modric and Bale have made an overall better season and are much more crucial to their national teams.
Oh fuck off. Amazingly Ronaldo is the highest scoring player for Real year after year. Modric is next level shit but without Ronaldo scoring Real wouldn't have won shit.

Croatia lost and Portugal continues, I guess Ronaldo is more relevant to Portugal.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Yeah but he was much more relevant to his team in the competition than Ronaldo. Just from Real Madrid, Modric and Bale have made an overall better season and are much more crucial to their national teams.

ronaldo was very relevant to the goal that knocked croatia out of the tournament, which is more than modric did when it mattered.

Sane_Man

Oh fuck off. Amazingly Ronaldo is the highest scoring player for Real year after year. Modric is next level shit but without Ronaldo scoring Real wouldn't have won shit.

Croatia lost and Portugal continues, I guess Ronaldo is more relevant to Portugal.

You realise Modric isn't meant to score lots of goals right? He was definitely more integral to Madrid than Ronaldo last year.

Kiraly

Surprisingly Messi doesn't get even half of this much hate, even though arguably not paying taxes and fucking over the people that love you warrants a bit more distaste than a little bit of diving here and there. Fucking cunts.

Haunted

Yeah, we'll see about that.
Updated bracket:

rUtYP1f.jpg
Hungary

Wales

Winner of Poland/Portugal

And that after not(!) winning their group... I mean, I'm not saying they're going to manage to do it, because I think Belgium is fairly overrated and not at all on the same level as the other top teams in the tournament (Italy, Spain, Germany, France) but yeah, I think this would qualify as the easiest road to the finals in the modern era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom