• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Expo 2013 is this month! - September 26th-29th

Ganondolf

I'm a bit worried now, I'm going on Sunday and have a afternoon ticket (5hrs), all this talk of queuing for hrs is not good.

A few questions:

How was the Wii U queues?
Is there any good merchandise at the work?

The queuing to get 2 vouchers just sounds like bs artificial queue management. My theory is the show organisers got greedy with how many tickets they sold (20,000 per day) and managed them all by creating the queue/token systems.

Shane

I'm a bit worried now, I'm going on Sunday and have a afternoon ticket (5hrs), all this talk of queuing for hrs is not good.

A few questions:

Wii U queues were big as there aren't many stations, but varies on game. Nothing compared to the big queues though.

As for merchandise, haven't had the patience to stroll around and look.

A few questions:

The Xbox booths were just unbelievable, letting in 2 at a time for 10 minute sessions, totally ridiculous, very badly managed, it would have taken 6-8 hours to view Ryse, Dead rising 3 and Killer instinct!! I didn't see any of them.

Ganondolf

The Xbox booths were just unbelievable, letting in 2 at a time for 10 minute sessions, totally ridiculous, very badly managed, it would have taken 6-8 hours to view Ryse, Dead rising 3 and Killer instinct!! I didn't see any of them.

No too worried about xbox1. But ps4 and Wii U is a must.

Would like to get some nice merchandise if possible (stuff you can't normally get hold of)

Positional4

Neo Member
What's the general consensus among everyone who's managed to play Knack there so far?

I'm still on the fence about picking it up at launch.

I played it yesterday at the eurogamer expo.A lot of people said their are frame-rate problems with the game but it seemed to run at a solid 30fps to me.

The graphics were a mixed bunch,some of the levels looked very good with excellent lightning ,others were rather bland looking and looked unfinished. Overall I was quite impressed.

Here are a couple of short videos I made yesterday from the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZHUQA7kEDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6e0cJXEXbw

Would like to get some nice merchandise if possible (stuff you can't normally get hold of)

Yeah got some nice gear there for sure, I bought a few things, the Ryu Hayabusa and M Bison figures are brilliant! But I couldn't justify the £180 and £250 price tags.

UNCMark

Banned
Quick question for people saying the triggers on the dualshock are much improved over the PS3 - do you mean improved over the stock DS3 controller or much improved over the DS3 with clip-ons added to its triggers?

Shane

For PS4 I queued for at least 1 hour 30 mins to get into the area, if not longer. Then queued for the 18 only area. Then had to queue another 30 mins in there. You were allowed to play one session of one game in that 18+ section. Played Killzone. Wasn't worth it.

If you want to play Knack/Resogun/Octodad check out the Virgin Media stall. There are some PS4's in there that not many people know about.

Also, people queued for hours to play Ass Creed 4 on PS4. They didn't realise there's loads of stations for it upstairs (and some ones on the side too that are usually free).

And Killzone was running on the PS4. When it crashed both times I saw the new dashboard.

Yeah I played it.
The graphics seem like a nice step up compared to DS, looked excellent, great lighting and effects, the frame rate was pretty smooth but it was running unlocked on the PS3 so it would go from 30-60fps depending on what was happening, I'd expect they will lock it down to 30 on consoles like DS when released.

Was just as difficult as DS I would say, possible more so, the Mirror Knight kicks ass with his lightning sword, I really can't wait for it, especially as it's coming out on PC, but the 360 and PS3 players are really in for a treat as it is the same awesomeness as the previous 2 souls but looking markedly superior in the graphics dept.

UNCMark

Banned

Ah OK. Vanilla DS3 is one of the absolute worst controllers I've ever used. The clip-ons go a long way to improving part of what makes it so. Sounds like they also stiffened the tension on the sticks, which should fix another big issue with the DS3. Any comment about the L1/R1 on the XB1 controller? I've held one and hated their placement, but I didn't get to play a game with it.

Hey guys! Back from eurogamer ( I can post picture if you need proof ).

Had a massive amount of fun!

Impressions:

Fable Anniversary:
A real good nostalgia trip, and in 1080p! That surprised me. Frame rate was a very unstable though so good thing about the delay. Plays like you would expect and that's a good thing! 45 min queue

Zoo Tycoon:
Good fun with this one, felt like a solid title. Frame rate was similarly unstable but only 30 - 25. Apparently it ill be locked at 30 for launch.

Lightning Returns:
The new combat system is fantastic, really really good. Graphics are meh but honestly the transitions in combat between Schema? flow well.

Tearaway:
Charming as hell. Such a lovely little game. Honestly has made me consider getting a PS Vita.

Wolfenstien:
Classic old school shooter, simple as. Played on medium and got my arse kicked by the bloody robots. Looked nice and duel wielding is awesome. Some guys were playing it like COD and you really should not.

Titanfall:
We were the last group to play and oh my god believe the hype. The wall running is legit as transport method and everything about just worked. I have never seen a game demo so well. I asked what platform it was being played on and it was running on PCs specced to Xbox One with a 360 controller so take with that what you will. It was just pure unbridled fun (inb4 EA shrill).

If anyone wants more specific, detailed impressions let me know!

Ah OK. Vanilla DS3 is one of the absolute worst controllers I've ever used. The clip-ons go a long way to improving part of what makes it so. Sounds like they also stiffened the tension on the sticks, which should fix another big issue with the DS3. Any comment about the L1/R1 on the XB1 controller? I've held one and hated their placement, but I didn't get to play a game with it.

Thought the vibrating triggers were cool, worked well with Forza.

Woffls

Won't do impressions as I'm just off to the pub in a bit, but today I played:
Ryse (Yawn)
Fable (Plays horribly and has a dodgy framerate)
Forza (again)
Fifa (XBO)
Driveclub (PGR replacement?)
Titanfall (sick. Pilot on foot is so much fun)
Watch(ed)_Dogs
Shantae (actually quite funny)
Killer Instinct (had no idea what I was doing)
World of Tanks (lol)
that bullet hell game on PS4 (eh. not for me)
that plane combat game on PS4 (crap camera, dodgy connectivity)

Has anyone else managed to get all the stamps for their Xbone thing? Just want an idea of how likely I am to win one :\ Luckily I didn't spend more than an hour queuing for anything and it was all worth playing... and I have two days left.

Caode

I played it yesterday at the eurogamer expo.A lot of people said their are frame-rate problems with the game but it seemed to run at a solid 30fps to me.

The graphics were a mixed bunch,some of the levels looked very good with excellent lightning ,others were rather bland looking and looked unfinished. Overall I was quite impressed.

Here are a couple of short videos I made yesterday from the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZHUQA7kEDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6e0cJXEXbw

Thanks a lot! Taking a look now, it's the kind of title I'd love to support, I miss these kind of games being giving a big push. I just hope it turns out to be somewhat fun.

Had fun today. Saw everything at Nintendo; Zelda ALBW is brilliant and oh-so-clever, DKC is DKC, Mario is hilariously chaotic in multiplayer (IamMikeside wrecked us all), and Sonic is fun but took some getting used to.

David Cage's talk was entertaining. He took the opportunity to try and convince the audience that he is only interested in makinf games. Beyond still has all the troubles that most "interactive storytelling" has but he was convincing and enthusiastic and the game is promising.

Tearaway is absolutely incredible and should be a dark horse contender for GOTY.

Had fun today. Saw everything at Nintendo; Zelda ALBW is brilliant and oh-so-clever, DKC is DKC, Mario is hilariously chaotic in multiplayer (IamMikeside wrecked us all), and Sonic is fun but took some getting used to.

David Cage's talk was entertaining. He took the opportunity to try and convince the audience that he is only interested in makinf games. Beyond still has all the troubles that most "interactive storytelling" has but he was convincing and enthusiastic and the game is promising.

Tearaway is absolutely incredible and should be a dark horse contender for GOTY.

Did you get the Tearaway hat? Proudly wore mine on the underground back

Has anyone else managed to get all the stamps for their Xbone thing? Just want an idea of how likely I am to win one : Luckily I didn't spend more than an hour queuing for anything and it was all worth playing... and I have two days left.

I spent basically all of today trying to get them and I had to "cheat" some of them because the requirements were ridiculous. Originally the terms and conditions said that getting more stamps just increases your chances of winning. But then I was told you had to get ALL of them by playing 10 Xbox One games. Half the games had minimum 1 - 2 hour waits as well. The biggest kick in the teeth was having to play FIFA 14 twice, once on 360 then ok Xbox One. Apparently they are "dramatically different experiences". Then after being told we could hand in the form at the end of the day as long as it was no later then 6:30pm, I went to hand it in at 6:05pm and was told I was too late even though the draw was at 6:30pm! And I don't have tickets for the weekend so I wasted half the day lining up for games I had no interest in like Fable and World of Tanks lol.

Wunder

Just got back after a full day. Holy crap that was intense and pretty awesome. Lots of stuff to talk about but I'm going to take my time and write it up and post my full impressions tomorrow. Titanfall was awesome and so was Dark Souls 2.

What did you guys think of Driveclub? I actual wasn't very impressed with what I saw, I thought NFS Rivals on PS4 looked better graphically, really cool lighting effects and general stuff going on, nice that it was 60fps too.

So does your avatar sum up your initial impressions of Titanfall?

image.php

Haha pretty much.

Spookie

Dear GAF my feet and back hurts. More thoughts tomorrow. Will be more positive that today that's for sure. Great meeting folks at the GAF foodie meet up!

Withnail

Spent the afternoon there with a mate today. Couldn't really be arsed with long queues so ended up watching more than we played of the next gen stuff. Still had a pretty good time. Some quick impressions.

Assassin's Creed PS4 was one of the few games we queued for and it was boring.
Dualshock 4 is fantastic. Seriously. The buttons, sticks, d-pad, triggers, all perfect. Even the touch pad worked surprisingly well for the map in AC.
Saw a very short queue for Watch Dogs so joined it, stood there for about 25 mins, then got into the booth to find it was a stage demo. The game looks OK I guess.
Driveclub graphics are pretty good.
Resogun looks stunning.
Forza 5 is also a looker.
Knack graphics are nicer than I expected but with a dodgy framerate
XB1 hardware is huge (both the console and Kinect).
Tried Oculus Rift on a Myst type game (can't remember the name) but found it disappointing. Partly because it gave me slight motion sickness. I think it was badly set up.
WiiU suddenly seems to have good games.
I also enjoyed several Vita games, the highlight being Tearaway which is incredibly charming.

To be honest after today my most desired new hardware is probably a Vita.

Look what I won today..

8zKkWHV.jpg

Mpg0agG.jpg

Won the Mario Kart 7 tournament they had at the Nintendo Life booth on Friday. Had to come from behind too. Came 3rd in first two races in the final, then pulled off two 1st place wins.

It's a Special Cup trophy that actually weighs quite a bit! Very solid! Much better then the pathetic one you get from Club Nintendo.

Also got £20 in eShop vouchers. Very happy!

Alpha_eX

I'm after Pikmin swag and have other swag to trade! There all weekend..

Rocksmith is game of the show for me, next to Titanfall. The new build of Dead Rising 3 is SO much better than the Gamescom/E3 build.

I also really liked Hohokum and Octodad. Are there any cool indie games worth checking out? I don't really get time to look around.

Look what I won today..

8zKkWHV.jpg

Mpg0agG.jpg

Won the Mario Kart 7 tournament they had at the Nintendo Life booth on Friday. Had to come from behind too. Came 3rd in first two races in the final, then pulled off two 1st place wins.

It's a Special Cup trophy that actually weighs quite a bit! Very solid! Much better then the pathetic one you get from Club Nintendo.

Also got £20 in eShop vouchers. Very happy!
Shit, you're a GAFer! No way! I'm running the Nintendo Life booth with the guys; I was the dickhead on the microphone.

Hope you enjoyed your prize mate. You gonna swing by tomorrow?

no angel

On my coach home now, first time I've been to the egexpo and doubt I'll return. I enjoyed the opportunity to get my hands on the new consoles but the event isn't managed particularly well and the queuing system they had in place was ridiculous. Sony booth was the worst offender. You queued up to queue for another queue which then led to a third queue. Queued for my vouchers then queued to get into the 'over 18's area' then queued when I finally got in there for a go on shadowfall. One in one out would have negated that final queue and the dickhead running that area needed a slap in the fucking chops for the way he spoke to some people there. They need a virtual queue system, take a ticket, get a time slot then turn up at that time. Also some booths needed more machines and some clearly had more then were needed (wolfenstein I'm looking at you).

My thoughts....

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Very fun and nice looking. Took a while to get used to the drawing mechanic but once it was in my head it came naturally. Did the field demo and got into a dungeon where I could use a hammer and sword without switching which made things smooth. Game of the show for me.

Donkey Kong Country; Tropical Freeze; Really enjoyed DKCTF, stage was quite long and varied and 2 player worked very well. Looking forward to this one.

Super Mario 3D World: I want to like this but played 3 player with my wife and a random and spent too much time either off screen or almost but not quite getting a power-up. Poor but single player may redeem it.

Mario Kart 8: Read that you got 3 races but it was only 2. The rep told me how to change from stick to gyro on the gamepad but both seemed very loose ( maybe being stuck with Waluigi on a bike didn't help). 2nd race was steering wheel which was better but real test will be nunchuk I think. Still a must buy.

Saw but didn't play most other games at the Nintendo booth.

Highlights;
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut - looks fun.
SteamWorld Dig - will get
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - beautiful.
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails - caught a glimpse and looked like cute Meatboy.

Went up to the 18+ area where they didn't seem to be ID'ing people, had a walk around and saw the queue for Assassins Creed was quite small so we joined. 15 minutes later I'm sitting there wishing I was anywhere else.

It's not really a game I'm interested in and briefly tried some of the others in the series but never owned them. So there I am, steering a boat for 10 minutes firing a canon now and then without a clue as to what to do, I thought this was supposed to be running and jumping... poor demo choice?

PS4 related booths looked good but queues were always too long. Same for Xbone.

Spent plenty of time in and around the Nintendo Life booth and got well over 100 streetpass hits for the day (finally got that achievement), also took in some SF4 action with KO the Pro and Ryan Hart.

Retro area was cool, spent a good amount of time in there mostly on games I do own but are packed away. Kudos to whoever entrusted the expo with their Drummania controller as it was taking a beating.

Cybernator is as tough as I remember but I am far worse than I used to be......

Swag was non-existent it seemed.

Shit, you're a GAFer! No way! I'm running the Nintendo Life booth with the guys; I was the dickhead on the microphone.

Hope you enjoyed your prize mate. You gonna swing by tomorrow?

Well there you go..

I did find your commentary quite amusing actually. Especially when you were picking on that poor guy who was using Bowser and was in last place all the time lol

I haven't actually got a ticket for the weekend but I was thinking of trying to get one. I didn't even get to see half the stuff I wanted to check out. Just way too busy. You there Sunday too?

I ran into one of the Xbox promotional guys who is also a massive Nintendo fan (go figure). He asked if it was ok if he could hold the trophy and get a photo with it lol.

Wunder

Well there you go..

I did find your commentary quite amusing actually. Especially when you were picking on that poor guy who was using Bowser and was in last place all the time lol

I haven't actually got a ticket for the weekend but I was thinking of trying to get one. I didn't even get to see half the stuff I wanted to check out. Just way too busy. You there Sunday too?

I ran into one of the Xbox promotional guys who is also a massive Nintendo fan (go figure). He asked if it was ok if he could hold the trophy and get a photo with it lol.

I was going to comment saying I was there when you won, but then that other guy had to swing in saying he was the frickin' commentator. Oh well, congrats on the win, looked like a sick race.

Well there you go..

Hahaha, that guy was straight up AWFUL. He was genuinely just driving headlong into walls and shit.

Were you there for the first heat? A guy in 8th position just stood up mid-race and left. I had to try so hard not to laugh. A proper 'fuck this' moment.

Yeah man, we're there all four days! Very busy bees. Hope you enjoyed it all and would love to hear any suggestions for improvements if you had the time. The twitter is @CoryRocker.

Haha, we've got a big stash of trophies - 4 days' worth. I so want one. The one you won is surprisingly very heavy! Wasn't expecting it to be made from metal.

Positional4

Neo Member
Resogun was stunning.

Anyone who thinks their isn't much difference between 30 or 60 fps should take a look at this game.

The first thing that hits you is the super-smooth frame rate
The lightning,explosions and particle effects looked incredible with tons of stuff happening on the screen but their was never any slowdown despite this. By far the most impressive looking next-gen game imo

Top Bottom