• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Don't trust the Russian or trains-Part 3

How many sessions until Kabouter gets annexed by some scrub AI country?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

On one hand, the Art of War expansion will bring such radical changes that it will worth a new game. On the other hand I don't think we can jump on it immediately in MP before grasping all the changes by trying the SP. And will take some time too. And I don't want to wait 3 more weeks for the MP.

But the new mechanics could change also the balance in Europe so people might want to chose different countries. I don't think the new provinces will be an issue as in 6 sessions with Crab's internet we're barely starting the colonization.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm not talking about provinces that are supposed to be uncolonized, I'm talking about all the newly added provinces automatically becoming uncolonized provinces, because they're not defined as owned in the game (because they don't exist before Art of War). For instance, half of Persia, half of India and so on will become colonizable provinces.

Fitz

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm not talking about provinces that are supposed to be uncolonized, I'm talking about all the newly added provinces automatically becoming uncolonized provinces, because they're not defined as owned in the game (because they don't exist before Art of War). For instance, half of Persia, half of India and so on will become colonizable provinces.

LOL. Would be worth it just to experience that, black death on turbo mode.

Kabouter

LOL. Would be worth it just to experience that, black death on turbo mode.

Probably great for people with easy access to those lands, but ruinous to the game balance. After all, these new provinces are generally of a lower base tax value than those currently in the game, because they've split up some. The total is still higher, but not that much. But the save of course records the current base tax of every province, meaning that those provinces would retain their high base tax and on top of that, players with easy access to those regions could colonize all the new ones and have provinces with their own culture/religion that don't cost them any points. Sweet deal.

Paradox however has said nothing about any significant expansion of the number of provinces in Europe, so...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On one hand, the Art of War expansion will bring such radical changes that it will worth a new game. On the other hand I don't think we can jump on it immediately in MP before grasping all the changes by trying the SP. And will take some time too. And I don't want to wait 3 more weeks for the MP.

But the new mechanics could change also the balance in Europe so people might want to chose different countries. I don't think the new provinces will be an issue as in 6 sessions with Crab's internet we're barely starting the colonization.

I am almost 100% sure that save-games will not be compatible. If we start a game now, then we either abandon it when Art of War releases, or we revert to patch 1.7.3 before each session.

Kabouter

I am almost 100% sure that save-games will not be compatible. If we start a game now, then we either abandon it when Art of War releases, or we revert to patch 1.7.3 before each session.

How about we use the excel file to vote whether to play now and revert when AoW releases, play now and restart when AoW releases or postpone until AoW releases?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How about we use the excel file to vote whether to play now and revert when AoW releases, play now and restart when AoW releases or postpone until AoW releases?

I wouldnt mind postponing it since the other solutions seem a bit messy, but I am sure most disagree :p

Kabouter

I wouldnt mind postponing it since the other solutions seem a bit messy, but I am sure most disagree :p

Postponing is also somewhat messy though since nation selection would probably have to be redone, or at least people should be allowed to reconsider. I wouldn't want Brunei again for instance (I'd want Malacca if it has to be in the same region). That said, I do think we should postpone.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't want to deal with versions so we can postpone or just restart when it's time.

The thing I'm worried most about is flagging interest since this is still some 3 weeks away.

Kabouter

Don't want to deal with versions so we can postpone or just restart when it's time.

The thing I'm worried most about is flagging interest since this is still some 3 weeks away.

Yeah, reverting versions I'm definitely not eager about. I don't want to continue playing the current version when AoW is available.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah, reverting versions I'm definitely not eager about. I don't want to continue playing the current version when AoW is available.

Same, but on the other hand investing 12 hours of time for a game we KNOW we will scrap in 3 weeks is just... annoying to me.

Kabouter

Same, but on the other hand investing 12 hours of time for a game we KNOW we will scrap in 3 weeks is just... annoying to me.

Yes, though still preferable to reverting versions. That said, delaying honestly seems like the best option to me, because there is also the fact that we'd have to go through country selection all over again, and rating players based on six sessions sort of sucks :p.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But we need another vote on countries and another country picking round after the patch and DLC, because the balance will definitely change. I would say the earliest we could start a new game is 9 of November I think. I would be fine with postponing the game, though, in the end, but I could also play for fun until then. The new expansion seems really cool and almost a different game.

Kabouter

But we need another vote on countries and another country picking round after the patch and DLC, because the balance will definitely change. I would say the earliest we could start a new game is 9 of November I think. I would be fine with postponing the game, though, in the end, but I could also play for fun until then. The new expansion seems really cool and almost a different game.

I doubt the balance will change all that much, given that the most striking changes seem to be in regions where most players aren't.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I say we just delay, but everyone keeps their current country choices. Might make for some, uh, fun. I don't think Europe has been changed too much, so shouldn't affect too many people - at a cursory glance, only Lithuania seems to have much done to it.

Kabouter

I say we just delay, but everyone keeps their current country choices. Might make for some, uh, fun. I don't think Europe has been changed too much, so shouldn't affect too many people - at a cursory glance, only Lithuania seems to have much done to it.

Can I switch to Malacca in the immediate vicinity of Brunei though? :p
Shouldn't affect anyone in any way given that I'm a gajillion miles away from anyone else.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Can I switch to Malacca in the immediate vicinity of Brunei though? :p
Shouldn't affect anyone in any way given that I'm a gajillion miles away from anyone else.

No, or the Kazani hordes will make it their sole mission in life to annex you by setting up the Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie.

CloudWolf

So... we're delaying until Art of War? That's okay, I guess. No sense playing now when in three weeks the save will be invalidated.

Toma

Wait wait... If er delay we must have the possibility to rechose

I am with Crab on this one, lets for the most part keep our countries and just see what happens. Nobody of us planned for this so we are all sort of in the same random spot, with maybe Kab as the exception.

fanboi

Banned
I am with Crab on this one, lets for the most part keep our countries and just see what happens. Nobody of us planned for this so we are all sort of in the same random spot, with maybe Kab as the exception.

Wait you are with Crab on this one?

*bottom up*

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I, for one, welcome our Malaccan overlords.

Uzzy

If we're going to wait for the Art of War, perhaps we could have a side game in the interim? Maybe let everyone pick the big European powers so we can have a big fight?

CloudWolf

1001004002618081.jpg

fanboi

Banned
Since I am the face of liberal and democracy I have taken action and created a new sheet in our document where we can vote if we shall or shall not delay the game session untill release of Arts of War.

Hopefully our left wing anarchists (Morfeo, Roboleon and Kabouter, hell the last one even has a red name!) will not try stopping this democratic process.

GO FORTH AND VOTE

VOTING ENDS TONIGHT AT 00:00 (IN 11 HOURS AND 6 MINUETS FROM NOW)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just came back to the office after watching Roboleon masterfully defend his phd-thesis, and I must say that if he can show just half the skill in his handling of Poland, that eastern-european theatre will be really interesting indeed. Congrats Dr. Roboleon!

thanks! :)
too bad you had to leave the party a bit early because... reasons.. :p

bjaelke

I see that the majority is leaning towards a delay. Excellent. Gives me a chance to finally join your session. Been lurking in this thread (part 1/2) for some time and have finally found the time to take part in what has now turned from civilized and polite to all out warfare. Again, excellent. I hope that carries over to game 3.

There's very little Eastern activity going on in terms of picks, which is a shame given the new content (trade + Indonesia/china). I suppose I better pick a central European state to get in on the action. Been plotting out your picks in a 1444 map to see the distribution and potential conflict-zones and came to the conclusion that it is rather pointless. So I'm just going to pick The Hansa and stay at a safe distance from Fitz.

Kabouter

I see that the majority is leaning towards a delay. Excellent. Gives me a chance to finally join your session. Been lurking in this thread (part 1/2) for some time and have finally found the time to take part in what has now turned from civilized and polite to all out warfare. Again, excellent. I hope that carries over to game 3.

There's very little Eastern activity going on in terms of picks, which is a shame given the new content (trade + Indonesia/china). I suppose I better pick a central European state to get in on the action. Been plotting out your picks in a 1444 map to see the distribution and potential conflict-zones and came to the conclusion that it is rather pointless. So I'm just going to pick The Hansa and stay at a safe distance from Fitz.

Sounds like a good choice, Hansa is a good nation to play as haly proved last game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I'm in Oxford now. My Internet is blazing fast, top 1% in UK. I say we play speed 5.

Hiya! Really keen to join. I'm in Australia, so would lag be an issue?
Planning to play as the Livonian Order if it's cool with everyone else.

Kabouter

Livonian order is fine, your rating (3 for new players) allows you to play them. Lag being issue seems to depend as much on connection quality and computer speed as it does on distance. Haly for instance is in New York (iirc) and never lags, whereas crab when he is in Wales lags a ton, despite the host (me) being much nearer to him (in the Netherlands).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Now that it seems that we are delaying this (booo), I have another friend who wants to join. I will tell him to join gaf and pick his nation.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

With Poland, Sweden and Novgorod being human players, you better be prepared! :p

just sayin' :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Do we still have the no annex rule?

Askin' for a friend..

Kabouter

Nah, lose that rule imo, no real point in it that I can see. If someone wants to restore a friend to independence after they've lost a war, they can just force their release imo.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
But seriously, LO will probably be annexed or vassalized within two sessions with the current player setup, so I would really suggest looking elsewhere if I were you

fanboi

Banned
But seriously, LO will probably be annexed or vassalized within two sessions with the current player setup, so I would really suggest looking elsewhere if I were you

Eh, yeah, the new guy Sasnsansansansansasa cant join I am afraid.

He read the time zones wrong I think.

Fitz

Probably for the best that nobody is playing Livonian Order, a state that is fully conquerable from day 1 surrounded by players of much stronger states.

Also as the rules have been brought up, probably worth updating the OP so that there's no confusion. Removing the No Kills rule, and the 50% portion of the Dictated Concession rule for example.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's a shahahame, the more the merrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom