• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Don't trust the Russian or trains-Part 3

How many sessions until Kabouter gets annexed by some scrub AI country?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's Too High To Get Over (Yeah, Yeah)
Too Low To Get Under (Yeah, Yeah)
You're Stuck In The Middle (Yeah, Yeah)
And The Pain Is Thunder (Yeah, Yeah)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Pretty good that we are now on page 11 and we still havent played a single session. Thats gotta be a new record in this group right?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Lol. The most stupid of all the traditional mockeries on gaf, most be this "100 post pr thread-overlord"-based one :)

100 posts is actually worse because it increases the GAF serverload. Now you know who to blame for the next gaf downtime :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
O man, we got a new player!

Welcome Eldarion/Gamma!

fanboi

Banned
So guys, we are aiming to start at 2nd of November.

Yes, we won't have time practice the game.

Any objections? You have untill 00:00 CEST today to complain.

:p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
bitches be playin' beta

no need to practice :p

Fitz

The 2nd is fine by me, eager to get going. 3 days is plenty of time to try the new stuff, especially with the patch notes supposedly coming out later today.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The 2nd is fine by me, eager to get going. 3 days is plenty of time to try the new stuff, especially with the patch notes supposedly coming out later today.

I wish I had a bathtub, the printed out patch notes and a pencil to make notes would be my bath reading material.

...I should have done this with marching music in the background.

Fitz

I wish I had a bathtub, the printed out patch notes and a pencil to make notes would be my bath reading material.

...I should have done this with marching music in the background.

toilet_square.jpg

For all your reading needs.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
That whats Morfeo is saying 6-7 times per week.

So he's all talk.

You thought something else?

Yeah, after all those snapchat photos that he leaked ...

nah man, that's Domenico Morfeo, the football player.

Hey, I am not the guy talking about this stuff these days. Especially since I havent had a girl all week meaning there isnt really anything to talk about :(

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Did we ever agree on the new rules? Fanboi had a list of them, but I don't think they were ever finalized.

fanboi

Banned
Did we ever agree on the new rules? Fanboi had a list of them, but I don't think they were ever finalized.

Current list:

1. Players must allow the war leader to negotiate for them in player vs. player wars.
2. Maximizing the ticking war score means that the losing side must automatically meet the demands of the winning side. I still favor forcing players to make concessions if the war score reaches a very high number, like 80 or 90%.
3. Limited alliances as it's currently written.
4. Can't attack a player nation with more than 50% tech group disparity, unless through a third party. Maybe this should have a sunset clause, like around 1650 or 1700?
5. One rejoin per session.
6. Player nations are open to attack once they miss three straight sessions. If the AI attacks another player in his absence, they can demand up to 50%, as kab said.
7. Maybe a general anti-exploit rule. Basically, if it looks like an exploit, then don't do it.
8. Pausing only allowed when DoW happens to you. Then during the war it isn't acceptable. Players can pause once to make peace deals, but only for the allotted 25 seconds or so before others can unpause. PvP wars are exempted.

Toma

Current list:

1. Players must allow the war leader to negotiate for them in player vs. player wars.
2. Maximizing the ticking war score means that the losing side must automatically meet the demands of the winning side. I still favor forcing players to make concessions if the war score reaches a very high number, like 80 or 90%.
3. Limited alliances as it's currently written.
4. Can't attack a player nation with more than 50% tech group disparity, unless through a third party. Maybe this should have a sunset clause, like around 1650 or 1700?
5. One rejoin per session.
6. Player nations are open to attack once they miss three straight sessions. If the AI attacks another player in his absence, they can demand up to 50%, as kab said.
7. Maybe a general anti-exploit rule. Basically, if it looks like an exploit, then don't do it.
8. Pausing only allowed when DoW happens to you. Then during the war it isn't acceptable. Players can pause once to make peace deals, but only for the allotted 25 seconds or so before others can unpause. PvP wars are exempted.

What is that number 4 rule about? If someone stays at less than 50% tech than the others, they can NEVER be attacked? I could have easily abused that rule as mamluks.

Kabouter

What is that number 4 rule about? If someone stays at less than 50% tech than the others, they can NEVER be attacked? I could have easily abused that rule as mamluks.

How? Mamluks are much closer in tech group than that. 50% means Indian tech group and below, basically.

Mgoblue201

It's talking about differences in tech groups. For instance, the Muslim tech cost is 40% more than western, so any western player is free to attack them. But a western player cannot attack anyone still in the Chinese tech group. This is already a rule in the OP, as rule number eight, but it's expressed in terms of protectorate status and not tech cost differences. However, the rule is probably capable of being abused, which is why I suggested that it should end after a certain date.

Kabouter

It's talking about differences in tech groups. For instance, the Muslim tech cost is 40% more than western, so any western player is free to attack them. But a western player cannot attack anyone still in the Chinese tech group. This is already a rule in the OP, as rule number eight, but it's expressed in terms of protectorate status and not tech cost differences.

Probably better to keep expressing it as protectorate.

Toma

How? Mamluks are much closer in tech group than that. 50% means Indian tech group and below, basically.

It's talking about differences in tech groups. For instance, the Muslim tech cost is 40% more than western, so any western player is free to attack them. But a western player cannot attack anyone still in the Chinese tech group. This is already a rule in the OP, as rule number eight, but it's expressed in terms of protectorate status and not tech cost differences. However, the rule is probably capable of being abused, which is why I suggested that it should end after a certain date.

So its about the tech group rather than the actual tech level? Thats better, but still kinda weird. I agree with the notion that it should eventually end.

Fitz

Agreed with Toma, <50% tech disparity would make us hordies immune to anyone in Europe. No war vs a potential protectorate pre X-date (outside of alliances etc) is fine by me, though it shouldn't be long, 1600 is more than enough time imo.

edit: Also if I'm reading it correctly, the proposal is that you can pause at the start and end of any PvE war, and any time during a PvP war? I think 1 pause if declared on, and 1 at the end of a large PvE/any PvP war is just right.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The tech rule was because in 1.7.3, protectorates do not receive any AE, at all (their overlord receives it instead), meaning a Western-tech player could guarantee their worse-tech ally essentially free expansion against the AI just by making that ally a protectorate, which is a bit of a game-breaker for certain nations. Apparently, this has been fixed for AoW, so can be abolished entirely as a rule.

Kabouter

The tech rule was because in 1.7.3, protectorates do not receive any AE, at all, meaning a Western-tech player could guarantee their worse-tech ally essentially free expansion against the AI just by making that ally a protectorate, which is a bit of a game-breaker for certain nations. Apparently, this has been fixed for AoW, so can be abolished entirely as a rule.

This rule is actually one we formulated ourselves to prevent Western European players to just bump off Far East nations with ease before they even have a chance to develop a little, since Paradox has still not decided to limit the Western European ability to project power and reinforce their troops thousands of miles away.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This rule is actually one we formulated ourselves to prevent Western European players to just bump off Far East nations with ease before they even have a chance to develop a little, since Paradox has still not decided to limit the Western European ability to project power and reinforce their troops thousands of miles away.

Well, I mean, that too. Personally I was more worried about, say, toma being France and Protectorating Fitz's Ming, but sure, looking after you was also a nice bonus. ;3

Fitz

Didn't troops not reinforce in overseas territory in EU3 until you'd occupied some land? I could swear I remember playing as Castile and armies in North Africa not replenishing until I'd occupied some land. Not that that'd be a solution in this situation of course, but a move in the right direction.

Kabouter

Didn't troops not reinforce in overseas territory in EU3 until you'd occupied some land? I could swear I remember playing as Castile and armies in North Africa not replenishing until I'd occupied some land. Not that that'd be a solution in this situation of course, but a move in the right direction.

Eh, barely a move, it's not hard to send in a huge force, occupy a province and then reinforce and be in the same situation as before. There need to be actual limits on European overseas power projection, especially in Asia.

Mgoblue201

Well hello, I did not know that this existed.

Will there be a new game when AoW starts?
Starts on November 2nd.
Agreed with Toma, <50% tech disparity would make us hordies immune to anyone in Europe. No war vs a potential protectorate pre X-date (outside of alliances etc) is fine by me, though it shouldn't be long, 1600 is more than enough time imo.

edit: Also if I'm reading it correctly, the proposal is that you can pause at the start and end of any PvE war, and any time during a PvP war? I think 1 pause if declared on, and 1 at the end of a large PvE/any PvP war is just right.
I wasn't thinking of hordes when I wrote it. If the rule is written so that you can't declare war on any player nation whom you can make a protectorate, then that would work better because it would exclude anyone in the nomad tech group.

Anyway, the rule might be okay to keep just to prevent any abuse, but I doubt it's likely to make a significant difference. It would be difficult for a western nation to make significant progress in Asia against a weaker player even in the late game, and there aren't any American or sub-Saharan Africa players who would most benefit from a rule like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom