• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Don't trust the Russian or trains-Part 3

How many sessions until Kabouter gets annexed by some scrub AI country?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

Commonwealth is crazy powerful since the latest patch if you don't break them up very, very early. I found this out the hard way when I went for my Sweden's Not Overpowered achievement.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You should join me at the top of the rankings, where the only nations to choose are Albania and Chimu.

Chimu stronk now. Top tier players should get Yaroslavl, which is probably the hardest nation in the 1444 start.

Kabouter

It's a bit weird that people are on the one hand saying I should play in Europe and on the other hand saying I should get a stupidly high rating, make up your minds :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bit weird that people are on the one hand saying I should play in Europe and on the other hand saying I should get a stupidly high rating, make up your minds :p

Yaroslavl awaits!

ZZMitch

Hey guys not related to the MP session but this is by far the most active EU4 thread so I thought I would post here.

I have been running EU4 a Windows 7 partition on my Mac (through Bootcamp). Recently, however, my Windows partition has broken. It won't start and the start-up repair and system restore shoot back errors. Since I only really used Windows for games and the only games I am playing at this point are strategy games like EU4 and Civ5 and a few other games like Hearthstone and Minecraft I thought I would give them a try on the Mac side. Hearthstone and Minecraft work just fine but I am not sure how games like EU4, CK2 and Civ5 will run.

Do any of you guys have experience with running these games through Steam on Mac? Is the performance similar and do the games get updated as frequently? I don't know where my Windows disk is so I can't fix my Bootcamp issue at this point so I may try this until I can get my hands on the disk.

smjanssen

Hey guys not related to the MP session but this is by far the most active EU4 thread so I thought I would post here.

I have been running EU4 a Windows 7 partition on my Mac (through Bootcamp). Recently, however, my Windows partition has broken. It won't start and the start-up repair and system restore shoot back errors. Since I only really used Windows for games and the only games I am playing at this point are strategy games like EU4 and Civ5 and a few other games like Hearthstone and Minecraft I thought I would give them a try on the Mac side. Hearthstone and Minecraft work just fine but I am not sure how games like EU4, CK2 and Civ5 will run.

Do any of you guys have experience with running these games through Steam on Mac? Is the performance similar and do the games get updated as frequently? I don't know where my Windows disk is so I can't fix my Bootcamp issue at this point so I may try this until I can get my hands on the disk.

I actually do the same thing on my iMac. I've tried playing on the Mac side but I experience better performance on my Windows 7 bootcamp. In terms of updates I haven't noticed any differences.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wallachia sounds like a great country for Jazz to play

Wallachia games are great if the Ottomans get the Vassalize Wallachia mission (because it's a diplomatic one), or if Hungary gets involved in its usual immediate pile-up where Poland and Austria tag team it in the early game. In the first you play a Byzantium that the Ottomans actually like; in the second you play a Hungary that's not diplomatically incapacitated.

CloudWolf

I must be doing something wrong then, because in my try at a Wallachia to Romania game I instantly got warned by both The Ottomans and Hungary and my ally Poland didn't call me in in their war against the Teutons/Hungary. Sure, I didn't get attacked, but I literally couldn't attack anyone without The Ottomans and Hungary joining in on the fun and murdering my ass.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I must be doing something wrong then, because in my try at a Wallachia to Romania game I instantly got warned by both The Ottomans and Hungary and my ally Poland didn't call me in in their war against the Teutons/Hungary. Sure, I didn't get attacked, but I literally couldn't attack anyone without The Ottomans and Hungary joining in on the fun and murdering my ass.

Odd Poland didn't call you; if you try again it might work. The Ottomans will always warn you, can't really do much about that. Only exception is if you get the Vassalize Wallachia mission; I got that and basically played a Byzantium game by getting Military Access and annexing Constantinople. The Ottomans warning you doesn't actually mean much anyway though - you only shared Moldavia and Hungary as neighbours and if you can take the Hungarian province bordering Vidin (can't remember the name) in the war Poland will call you into, then the Ottoman warning only stops you DoWing Moldavia and they're a march of Poland so you won't be doing that for a while anyway.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After the new patch it's getting more difficult as you don't have Serbia as a neighbor anymore, so the only chance of early territory gain is for Poland to call you in the war against Hungary. As about the warning, there is a way around it, if you are willing to attack Hungary you just need to wait until the warning expires and before Ottomans give you another warning there is a window of opportunity. After you gain couple of provinces in Hungary you can ally with Austria and after that the world is there for taking.

Not being able anymore to declare rivals (lHungary for example) at the start is both illogical and inaccurate from historical point of view.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
There is one way to get around the Ottoman warning. If the Ottomans have enough war exhaustion (and it doesn't take much), then they will decline the call to arms against you, due to their mistrust of Hungary. That requires a bit of luck, but so does any Wallachia strategy. For instance, Poland will sometimes have a domineering attitude toward you and won't accept your alliance offer.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The worst thing is when they suddenly get the domineering while you are allied (and after a long time being allied too). Luckily last time when that happened they lost quite fast the personal union with Lithuania and through some nice alliances I conquered in practically no time Moldavia and almost all of Poland.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I can feel it caaaaalling in the air tonight.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If I subtly play this in the background maybe I can subtly persuade Jazz via his sub-conscious to invade you all and bring the next session into view. :3

I'll add this one.
People who get it shall receive a cookie.

I need to buy Art of war so I can join you guys btw. :V

Edit: I don't need the unit/music packs to be playing with you guys right? Because that's the only stuff I don't have. I got everything related to gameplay stuff (except Art of War obv).

Edit 2: Art of War bought. I made a screenshot of the DLC list in my launcher, I believe this includes all gameplay add-ons? Would I be good to go for this MP group? If so, sign me up. :>

smjanssen

I'll add this one.
People who get it shall receive a cookie.

I need to buy Art of war so I can join you guys btw. :V

Edit: I don't need the unit/music packs to be playing with you guys right? Because that's the only stuff I don't have. I got everything related to gameplay stuff (except Art of War obv).

Edit 2: Art of War bought. I made a screenshot of the DLC list in my launcher, I believe this includes all gameplay add-ons? Would I be good to go for this MP group? If so, sign me up. :>

You don't actually need to have all add-ons to join the multiplayer. Everyone will use whatever the host uses, but it can be useful to get some practice with the new mechanics before we start the new game

Uzzy

Venice AAR:

Slow session today, clearly shaking out the post-christmas lethargy took longer than I thought. Spent most of it coring previous conquests, rapidly teching my military up (Venice's forces are no longer Swahili tier! Huzzah!) and sending trade ships into the Gulf of Aden.

Only in the final half hour of the session did the Venetian Marine Corps get to show their mettle, by waging war against what was left of independent Italy. Venice and the Papacy vs Siena, Milan, Savoy, Ferrara and Sardinia. There was a bit of a worry when Milan and Savoy showed up with roughly equal numbers to me, but I was able to isolate their stacks and wipe them out. Siena was the wargoal, but they were saved thanks to a quick check of my overextension score. For shame. I did take land from Milan, Ferrara and Savoy though, which is nice. Still, if my forces keep this up I might even call them an army one day.

Provinces Gained: Modena, Nice, Liguria.
Provinces Lost: None!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I might be alone in this because I'm Incan, but I'm just bored with this game. Can't wait for the next MP game to start.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
PLC AAR:

Played half-attentively, slow session. Grabbed Theodoro and Wien, and consolidated. Felt a bit out-of-the-loop since I haven't played EU IV since the break.

Kabouter

Nice joke Luther, nice joke.

Kick everyone other than your ally out of South America?

That said, your boredom was pretty obvious when we were restarting.

haly79ie3.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Haly is no longer Venice btw Kab, smh

Malaccan CI = chumps

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Before, during and after.

I'm clapping right now while reminiscing over that glorious meal.

So at 10PM you are eating breakfast, shouting USA USA and clap like a maniac? No surprise you were too busy to join the game :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom