• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Don't trust the Russian or trains-Part 3

How many sessions until Kabouter gets annexed by some scrub AI country?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Except that I stackwiped 70k troops during the Fitz backstabbery :p

I was Iberitaly, I had so much money I didn't give a fuck how many of my mercs you killed. You stack wiped 70k of my troops and I still finished with the top MIL score like 15 mins later when we'd kicked the Byzantium out of you.

VIA CATALANA!

320px-Estelada_blava.svg.png

Fitz is my Bro for life now tho. russians are cool in my book,definitely top tier turkslayers

Uzzy

Best player
Jazz

Most underrated player
Roboleon. Have you seen the size of his country?

Most overrated player
Fitz. It's not too hard to count up the extension cost of the provinces you take and see if they add up to over 100%, right?

Biggest flameout
Fitz. That was a lot of rebels.

Worstest language fail
West SSweden is pretty good.

Most peaceful player
Gamma

Most Morfeo-style peaceful player (aka most aggressive player)
fanboi. What's GB doing on the continent, and attacking former allies like France? Perfidious Albion strikes again.

Best diplomacy
Jazz probably

Most ridiculous reason for missing a session
Morfeo. Like he really has all those dates.

The Doge has voted.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well thanks Uzzy, but I didn't exactly start out with three provinces like Jazz did :p

smjanssen

The 2014 GAF EU4 MP Community Awards

Okay, so since the year is almost up and people are awarding merit to just about bloody anything on GAF, it's time to vote for some truly important awards. Anyone who has participated in any GAF EU4 MP game this year can vote. Voting ends January 5th at an unspecified time determined by me because fuck yeah.

The categories:
Best player
Jazz

Most underrated player
Uzzy

Most overrated player
Kabouter

Biggest flameout
Fitz

Worstest language fail
Jwitjes, misspelling one colonial nation is one thing, but two... :)

Most peaceful player
Gamma

Most Morfeo-style peaceful player (aka most aggressive player)
Jazz

Best diplomacy
Jazz

Gotta go for the Swedish railway system as well

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
PLC AAR:

End of year report:

I had to peace out with Brandenburg initially because of the 50 year peace deal for Danzig treaty: AI PLC got dragged into an offensive war three years before the deal was over, so there wasn't much to be done about that. When polish diplomats received a friendly reminder on steam chat that the deal wasn't over, I sort of knew Brandenburg would come out on top. And after securing some mind-blowing deals with both Venice and France, we could only witness the proto-Nazi HR empire grow into truly scary proportions, taking over the big Styrian vassal from GB.

Something very interesting happened afterwards, I got the decision to abolish the Sejm with a huge noble uprising. After defeating the 91K stack - thanks Uzzy and Toma for participating in that! - that rose in Warsaw and bunch of other small stacks (30Kish) appearing all over the place (mostly due to the -3 stab you get from the event), the Sejm surrendered and my country is now a very peaceful and stable (-5,25 national unrest, lol) Absolute Monarchy. Can't say I'll miss the Sejm or the Elective Monarchy one bit.

Then we went to war with the Ottomans to expand Bulgaria and Serbia a bit, fought a little war against the last remains of Austria, and that was basically it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The categories:
Best player: Jazznation
Admittedly, I've not been in the game to watch this, but from reports and from my reconstructed idea of how things went based on the map, Jazz has played superbly.

Runner up nomination: Mgoblue201

Most underrated player: Roboleon
The guy got given a sub-3 ranking at the end of the last game, meaning we think he's worse than the average new player. Really, guys, really? His PLC is absolutely monstrous and he's in strong contention to be called the strongest player this game. Do not see how you could vote anyone else.

Runner up nomination: Haly

Most overrated player: Colkate
Conversely, at the end of the last session, this guy got the top rating we gave out, was judged to be the best player going and the guy likely to dominate any future alliance blocs... and he goes and implodes by making one of the most rookie errors available to an EU4 player. Obviously still one of the best players, and does a mean Russia, but you can't not win this award after a collapse that hilarious. :p

Runner up nomination: Crab

Biggest flameout: Colkate
That Morocco implosion was incredible. So many rebels! I had a tough choice between this and Burgundy; but what settled it was the matter of the implosion. King went down to a fairly obscure mechanic that you wouldn't expect players to run into often, Fitz went down to Conquering 101: know thine limits.

Runner up nomination: KingSnake

Most peaceful player : Kabouter
Dude runs off to the other side of the world to avoid confrontation and played an entire session as a colonial nation a.k.a. most boring thing ever. Mind you, it's good for all of us because otherwise we'd get rolled under the forces of Gelre.

Most Morfeo-style peaceful player (aka most aggressive player): Uzzy
Every single one of his AARs ends with like a zillion new provinces being taken. He was so aggressive he got coalitioned to near death in the second session, and so aggressive that he came back from that successfully! Jazznation might display controlled aggression, fanboi might display treachery, but Uzzy embodies the spirit of the Khan: fuck you, that province is mine.

Runner up nomination: fanboi

Best diplomacy: fanboi
fanboi, how on earth do you persuade-people to trust you still after all the backstabbing and conniving? It perpetually continues to amaze me that people follow you into battle as an ally despite the fact they'll follow you out as a corpse. Truly, unrivalled powers of persuasion.

Runner up nomination: Jazznation

Most ridiculous reason for missing a session: fanboi
The mysterious incident of the Swedish train.

Done.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Morfeo. Like he really has all those dates..

I dont think I ever have used "a date" as reason for missing a session, have i? On the other hand, I have played even when having a girl over.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The categories:
Best player:
Jazzy Jazz - While I havent been here this session, the fact that he is still alive after continously warring all other human players in europe, is just incredibly impressive.
Runner up nomination: Mgoblue201

Most underrated player: Uzzy
This guy got ridiculed for the early coalition against him - but has come back with a vengeance and dominated his region. Impressive!
Runner up nomination: Kabouter

Most overrated player: Fanboi
Fanboi have good diplomatic skills like somebody else wrote, in that he manages to get people to trust him even though he is the KING of backstabbing - however when considering his technical skills, he is much more limited - and I think it will be harder for him going forward now that his reputation is ruined.
Runner up nomination: Morfeo

Biggest flameout: Colkate
Yeah, I wasnt there, but what went down in Morocco was just incredible and very unexpected. Fitz doing his best to ruin his ranking so that he can get a better nation next time?
Runner up nomination: KingSnake

Most peaceful player : Morfeo
Its enough to watch his tag to see how peaceful he is. Have only ever done self-defensive wars, always up to protect his allies, promote democracy and kill terrorists for the better of us all - and in this last session even so peaceful that he stayed out for most of it! Really no contest here.
Runner up nomination: Kabouter

Most Morfeo-style peaceful player (aka most aggressive player): Fanboi
Constantly in conflict and always ready for another backstab.
Runner up nomination: Jazzy Jazz

Best diplomacy: Crab
The aragonese turnaround and its aftermath should be enough to mention.
Runner up nomination: Colkate

Most ridiculous reason for missing a session: fanboi
Those trains!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Note to self: Do not send your armies into crab's armies unless you catch him unawares.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Note to self: Do not send your armies into crab's armies unless you catch him unawares.

Just attack with more than one stack and you are good.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Impressive Crab! I just take number of and type of units, mil tech lvl, and leader levels into account personally. And if it's Jazz I attack with double amount of what I normally would.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't know man, he has math on his side!

Math is scary.

Math is, but people make errors :p Just attack with two stacks of XYZ units, combine them, make different setups and attack. I doubt someone can notice whats going on ,recalculate everything and make a retreat within 20 seconds.

Pretty neat thing though Crab.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really for on the spot calculations, more stuff like "when do I switch from fire to shock", which is actually pretty instrumental (answer: like tech12ish). It's also useful for figuring out "critical jumps", like tech 4 to tech 5, where the difference between what a tech 4 and tech 5 can do is waaaaaay bigger than the difference between 3 and 4 or 5 and 6.

EDIT: only problem is I have no idea if it woooorks or not because people won't teeeest it. :(

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I didn't just want a better ruler, I wanted a ruler that could help me keep up with France. With the 0/0/4 ruler and -3 stab I was doomed to wait 3 years for +1 stab (not considering additional -stab events or other nice things that occur when you're in negative stability). That also meant no gain in admin tech in more than 10 years. It was a stupid mistake not knowing about the broken country thing (as it didn't happen in any of my games until now).
Did the rebels enforce their demands during an internal conflict? Maybe that's why your country shattered into a bunch of smaller states.

Toma

Playing time in 8 hours. Right? RIGHT, GUYS?

Toma

Seriously though, I'd be down for some Vicky 2 at some point over the next few days.

I havent played it in ages, you guys would probably stomp all over me =p

And its an old Paradox game, isnt the MP setup/connection a super big hassle anyway?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I havent played it in ages, you guys would probably stomp all over me =p

And its an old Paradox game, isnt the MP setup/connection a super big hassle anyway?

it's a massive fucking pain in the ass, yeah, but imo it offers the best multiplayer because of the great power/secondary power system. If you have enough players, the struggle is real. Nobody wants to be dat secondary power, fuck that noise.

CloudWolf

Victoria 2 session tonight!

Two hours of me not understanding anything that's happening. Should be great.

Also, yesterday the AI was super-generous towards me. I participated in a war my allyPersia started as super-Switzerland and got 19 provinces in the peace. That was all kinds of crazy (and kind of annoying because I needed to religion convert and core them all >_>).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did the rebels enforce their demands during an internal conflict? Maybe that's why your country shattered into a bunch of smaller states.

I don't really remember. I still find it stupid that all the different rebel faction's requests were met when only one rebel faction was really rebelling and it wasn't a religious or a nationalistic faction. It's a illogical mechanic. So the pretender won the war only to find that what he won is shattered in pieces without even a fight happening for that.

Mgoblue201

I don't really remember. I still find it stupid that all the different rebel faction's requests were met when only one rebel faction was really rebelling and it wasn't a religious or a nationalistic faction. It's a illogical mechanic. So the pretender won the war only to find that what he won is shattered in pieces without even a fight happening for that.
I was looking around the EU4 Wiki and noticed this:

"As a special case, if a country is not at war and more then half its provinces are occupied by rebels (not necessarily from the same faction), all active rebel factions have their demands enforced immediately. "

Did the rebels meet those conditions?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What does "active" mean? Because actually revolted were just the pretender rebels. The others had some unrest but not yet rebelled.

Fitz

It means any rebels that are showing in your list on the Stability and Expansion tab iirc. No doubt the rebels filled the break your nation bar.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Then yes, there were active rebels in that sense. And yes the bar was filled, I think. Still don't see the logic in having your requests met without any fight just because some other rebels took over the country. Especially when these are antagonistic rebels, as a pretender for the country's throne wouldn't ever want to impose also the will of nationalistic rebels.

Fitz

Well, it's an abstract representation of rebels breaking your country, generally getting to the point where they can no longer be handled. I was too busy failing with my own rebels to see exactly what was going on over with you, but I think for pretender rebels they just need to occupy your capital for their progress bar to tick up.

Mgoblue201

It's probably trying to represent the loss of central control. The immediate effect for any province sieged by a pretender is +10 autonomy, same as the particularists. Still, I hope that the game would distinguish between rebel factions and an actual revolt. If you're losing control of your entire nation to a mixture of different rebel groups, then I'd understand that all of them would enforce their demands once your country is broken. But the existence of rebel factions organizing somewhere in your country doesn't mean much. Certain events like obscurantism can cause rebel factions to pop up for a few years and maybe even gradually progress, but that doesn't mean they're a threat.

I always just defeat the pretender immediately anyway. With the +10 autonomy change I couldn't really justify giving them free rein to siege down my entire nation, even if those provinces are immediately taken back. The pretender would have to be a young 6/6/6 savant and my current ruler a 0/0/1 imbecile before I considered letting them win.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The pretender was a 5/4/4 or something like this and the current king was a 0/0/4 while I was at -3 stab. I could afford just a +1 advisor for admin point so I was gathering a whooping 4 points per month, making me needing 2 years for +1 stab, while negative stab always brings events after events, some of them being also -1 or -2 stab. I still think it was a good choice to try to get the pretender as king, only if I would have been aware of the broken country rule I would have conquered back 1 province and got away with it.

EMT0

Banned
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while meaning to join(but unable to because classes were killing me) but I'm going to be free now and am (eagerly) looking forward to joining. Once a new game starts up, I'll be there. Waiting. All creepy like :d

fanboi

Banned
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while meaning to join(but unable to because classes were killing me) but I'm going to be free now and am (eagerly) looking forward to joining. Once a new game starts up, I'll be there. Waiting. All creepy like :d

Sounds great!

We are currently in the middle of our session, but when it ends we will PM you!

CMO

Neo Member
Sounds great!

We are currently in the middle of our session, but when it ends we will PM you!

Send a PM my way too for the next round!
I've been thinking of trying out some EUIV MP, and if you keep the days/time it will work perfectly for me!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any essentia HoI III expansions/dlc worth getting? 75% off everything HoI III right now

edit: fogettaboutit. bought the dlc collection

Uzzy

Get all the expansions, they make the game playable. The unit dlc is pointless, as you'll have to play with the NATO unit counters on really.

Uzzy

Back to EU4, I found the Art of War expansion for sale here, 50% off. You can use the coupon pcgames5off to get a bit extra off too.

Good times.

fanboi

Banned
Thanks Robo for the Steam gift!

Let me see what this Sakura Spirit it is...

4241714-5227478175-51394.gif

I need to get my gf out of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom