• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Don't trust the Russian or trains-Part 3

How many sessions until Kabouter gets annexed by some scrub AI country?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

After Uzzy is done picking, what do we do? Move on to Morfeo or wait for more possible new players before we continue picking?

Fitz

tumblr_mpjbzy5nYe1r5o5cbo1_500.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
After Uzzy is done picking, what do we do? Move on to Morfeo or wait for more possible new players before we continue picking?

Why not wait 1-2 days? We arent in a hurry anyway.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Both Poland and Lithuania have been chosen. Are roboleon and ZZMitch okay with that?

Didnt we say no neighbour rules this time? So it wouldnt really matter anyway.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Didnt we say no neighbour rules this time? So it wouldnt really matter anyway.
Did we? I don't remember discussing it. That would probably make it difficult to choose nations. For instance, France, Burgundy, and Aragon have already been picked, but all three can probably live together peacefully for awhile, as long as Burgundy agrees to become the Netherlands, because they have slightly different goals.

Kabouter

I think Poland and Lithuania both might cause more problems though, since Poland sort of depends on Lithuania for its strategy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with waiting a few days for newer players to maybe pop in before moving on to Morfeo.

re: adjacent nations, I think that got scrapped, I remember Morfeo and Colkate(I think?) not liking it much. I think the thought was players probably wouldn't play next to potentially antagonistic nations without a decent reason; I wouldn't be Lithuania with a human Poland when they have every incentive to double-team me with <insert angry other neighbour here>. It's not like Lithuania really has that many good allies that aren't Poland.

Kabouter

I agree with waiting a few days for newer players to maybe pop in before moving on to Morfeo.

re: adjacent nations, I think that got scrapped, I remember Morfeo and Colkate(I think?) not liking it much. I think the thought was players probably wouldn't play next to potentially antagonistic nations without a decent reason; I wouldn't be Lithuania with a human Poland when they have every incentive to double-team me with <insert angry other neighbour here>. It's not like Lithuania really has that many good allies that aren't Poland.

I wouldn't be human Poland with a human Lithuania either though. In fact, without Lithuania, I'm not sure Poland would even deserve a higher rating, certainly nowhere near the rating it gets now. Poland really depends on that PU a ton, and sure, Mgo, crab, Toma or Fitz could still make things happen in the situation, but not a less experienced player. I think adjacent nations in general is fine, but this might be the one exception.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be human Poland with a human Lithuania either though. In fact, without Lithuania, I'm not sure Poland would even deserve a higher rating, certainly nowhere near the rating it gets now. Poland really depends on that PU a ton, and sure, Mgo, crab, Toma or Fitz could still make things happen in the situation, but not a less experienced player. I think adjacent nations in general is fine, but this might be the one exception.

I think there's probably another exception, Denmark, which is not very good and definitely not deserving of 4.2 or whatever it has with a human Sweden or Norway. We could probably use the 'only by consent' rule for Lithuania if an earlier player picked Poland, and for vassals/junior partners if an earlier played picked the liege/senior partner? Just throwing it out there.

EDIT: Also Aragon with a human Naples goes from being a really good nation to worse than Portugal. Not that Portugal is bad, per se, I just think Aragon is significantly better.

Kabouter

I think there's probably another exception, Denmark, which is not very good and definitely not deserving of 4.2 or whatever it has with a human Sweden or Norway. We could probably use the 'only by consent' rule for Lithuania if an earlier player picked Poland, and for vassals/junior partners if an earlier played picked the liege/senior partner? Just throwing it out there.

Sounds good to me. Agreed.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I certainly don't want to play poland with a human lithuania.

Edit: to be more clear, I'm not playing Poland if someone picks Lithuania. PU'ing Lithuania by a National decision is like the standard opening move of any Poland game. If anyone feel like blocking this by some selection rule technicality, then that's their choice and I'll accept it and be back next round.

Fitz

No selecting of subjects if a player has already picked the overlord makes sense, outside of that, there should definitely be no adjacency rules.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No selecting of subjects if a player has already picked the overlord makes sense, outside of that, there should definitely be no adjacency rules.

If we're being honest, though, Lithuania is a de facto Polish subject.

Fitz

I meant that too, I can live with that. As you said, I automatically think of Lithuania as Poland's subject.

Mgoblue201

If ZZMitch sticks with Lithuania, I might pick a steppe nomad so that we can crush Muscovy together. And if ZZ changes his nation, then I might go nomad anyway. I really like their play style.

Also, whoever is in charge of editing the spreadsheet is going to get me annexed quickly.

Uzzy

Someone pick Bohemia, so we might crush Austria together.

Also, I've got a few music mods downloaded from the workshop. Will having those enabled prevent me from connecting to the game?

Fitz

Someone pick Bohemia, so we might crush Austria together.

Also, I've got a few music mods downloaded from the workshop. Will having those enabled prevent me from connecting to the game?

Nope, using a music mod myself, doesn't affect the checksum so Ironman/Multiplayer should work fine, though there are some that can affect the checksum depending on how they're implemented. If you're able to start an ironman game you'll have no problem.

Mgoblue201

Even if a mod did alter the checksum, you can easily get around that by dumping the songs in the music folder and editing the file.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think every nation should be allowed, and that by choosing a country like Aragon, Denmark and Poland, you do run the risk of somebody else choosing their subjects. I guess that means that their ratings probably should have been lowered, but that might be too late now.

If this changes a ton for the people who already choose, I dont have a problem with us restarting the choosing process, but now with everybody knowing about that risk.

Kabouter

Restarting the selection process seems like a poor idea given that now everyone knows about the preferences of those players that have already picked now, making it unlikely that they wouldn't take it into account in the newly restarted selection. I think it's much more reasonable to just go with what crab and Fitz agreed on. We can always change it for next game, and have everyone start choosing with that in mind then.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think every nation should be allowed, and that by choosing a country like Aragon, Denmark and Poland, you do run the risk of somebody else choosing their subjects. I guess that means that their ratings probably should have been lowered, but that might be too late now.

If this changes a ton for the people who already choose, I dont have a problem with us restarting the choosing process, but now with everybody knowing about that risk.

That's too volatile, I think. Poland is an incredible nation in the right hands, it has perhaps the fastest expansion opportunities of any single nation in the early-game. If you downgrade the rating to represent how it does without Lithuania, and therefore let really good players take it, it'll be the obvious choice for any of them, and will almost necessitate someone else picking Lithuania to keep them in check. The difference in capability of Poland with a human Lithuania and without a human Lithuania are just waaaay too large. Same applies to Aragon and Denmark. They're effectively entirely different nations in terms of what you can do with them.

Even next session I'd probably stick with the rule I suggested above. Becoming another player's vassal or junior partner without their permission completely and totally changes the way they play, infinitely more so than just being another neighbour or whatever.

EDIT: also I'd hold off just a mo, Morfeo - given ZZMitch will probably be rechoosing, he has higher priority than you, and may want that nation.

Ok, so I'll be joining again, hopefully I'll get to stick around.

Looking through the selection spreadsheet.

Not bee through the whole thread but when do we start the first session?

Edit: Picked Portugal.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Went with Crimea, crab's turn.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Who did Kab choose? Cant see it in the doc.

Edit: nm, I am stupid.

Edit 2: Only three more players need to choose, would be awesome to be able to start tonight if everybody has picked!

Toma

Who did Kab choose? Cant see it in the doc.

Edit: nm, I am stupid.

Edit 2: Only three more players need to choose, would be awesome to be able to start tonight if everybody has picked!

No starting until next sunday, how often do you want me to repeat that =p

Not gonna pick for a few days, doing something else today and I need a good look over the choices so far.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm switching my choice to Bavaria. I realized all my roads are cut off as Crimea (unless I want to have a go at Ottomans LOLOLOLOL no) at the moment so it's not really worth playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom