• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of fanboi needing to speaka da English

Who will be the first backstabbing victim?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

How did you manage to do that? You do know the BBB is your best friend as Gelre right?

England was in a coalition against me, France was allied to Scotland, Scotland had started a war against England which France joined but I (not being allied to Scotland) did not. Coalition declared on me, France didn't join (because they couldn't), I got mauled. Then before I could peace out, a second coalition war was declared on me. I lost pretty much everything from 80 years or so of growth :X.

So in my attempt at the Freddie Mercury achievement, I've noticed a fun little thing.
If you ally yourself to a defender in a war, and that defender is at low war enthusiasm or has Call for Peace, you will - even if you have 0 war exhaustion and have been at peace for several years - be put into low enthusiasm and Call for Peace the moment you enter the war.

How fucking dumb is that lol.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Teasing KingSnake - fair enough. But I dunno why my suggestion of you playing Riga or saying there won't be a way for you to get away from other players adds to my aggressive expansion. :p
'sides, I never said anything to Mgoblue! ;-;
You were apparently asking for it in this thread (the real answer is that I just chose at random). Besides, I never said I would backstab you. If someone is holding the knife, it's probably going to be fitz or fanboi or someone else.
So in my attempt at the Freddie Mercury achievement, I've noticed a fun little thing.
If you ally yourself to a defender in a war, and that defender is at low war enthusiasm or has Call for Peace, you will - even if you have 0 war exhaustion and have been at peace for several years - be put into low enthusiasm and Call for Peace the moment you enter the war.

How fucking dumb is that lol.
Length of war applies equally to all nations counting from the start of the war, not from the moment they enter. Presumably that's dragging your war enthusiasm into the negatives. It's probably designed that way to prevent scenarios in which a nation like France honors a call to arms after years of war with super high enthusiasm.

You were apparently asking for it in this thread (the real answer is that I just chose at random). Besides, I never said I would backstab you. If someone is holding the knife, it's probably going to be fitz or fanboi or someone else.

Alright then. :p
I don't believe you.

Length of war applies equally to all nations counting from the start of the war, not from the moment they enter. Presumably that's dragging your war enthusiasm into the negatives. It's probably designed that way to prevent scenarios in which a nation like France honors a call to arms after years of war with super high enthusiasm.

I kinda get that, but it's still dumb.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What are the conditions for looting, precisely?

I'm sending my troops around Muscovy but I don't see the looting modifier come up in the provinces they're passing over.

Mgoblue201

It can't be a province bordering your territory, your ally's territory, or a nation you have military access with. That includes occupied provinces. Besides that, you have to stop in the province. I believe that if you fight in a province or you don't immediately stop moving, you might have to wait until the end of the month.

Haly

I see.

Man Muscovy is as strong as ever. I was lied to!

Haly

Golden Horde. They kick Novgorod's ass before I can vassalize Ryazan and Circassia and then it's all downhill from there.

Ugh, why is Novgorod so pathetic? I see they have a 10 stack. I look back and they have 0 stack.

What the hell Novgorod?

Mgoblue201

Best time to defeat Muscovy is within the first ten or fifteen years. You want to prevent them from beating Novgorod, so that they don't take expansion ideas. You might have time for one or two quick wars before then, but there isn't any big advantage to waiting.

Haly

I'm guessing vassal spam won't be viable in El Dorado anymore, since if your vassals feel you're too small, they'll all gang up on you at once?

RIP Denmark

Kabouter

I'm guessing vassal spam won't be viable in El Dorado anymore, since if your vassals feel you're too small, they'll all gang up on you at once?

RIP Denmark

Yes, although in certain situations you're fine. Poland has no issues for instance due to the fact that they're historical friends with Lithuania.

Haly

Right now, as Golden Horde, I have:

A 7 province Ryazan
A 5 province Circassia
A 4 province Psykov
A 4 province Perm

I'm still at my original territories, plus Azov which defected to me.

Uuugh, this is so difficult.

My god, it's taking 30 years to annex Circassia.

Well that was a disaster.

Fitz

Personally I think they made expansion through mass vassalisation more trouble than it's worth when they added autonomy, which was probably their intent. Getting 75% autonomy across the board generally makes the provinces worth very little, especially early on when it's harder to burn off autonomy. If Influences ideas are taken then it makes it even harder to justify actually annexing your vassals.

Mgoblue201

There's no real rush to integrate vassals early on (unless you absolutely need their provinces) because of the way force limit works. Vassals don't contribute much tax, but they end up fielding large armies - probably more than you can field on your own if you owned their provinces directly.

Anyway, as long as we're still discussing our single player campaigns, I finished the Prester John achievement a few days ago:
4D24E04ED6626D2C5310652C7DCE19F12437F14B
There's no real reason to continue, but it was a fun nation to play and I enjoyed spreading Coptic everywhere. Ethiopia would be an interesting choice for someone else in multiplayer, though I probably wouldn't do it again myself so soon after this game.

Haly

Happy birthday Crab.

Things were going well until Muscovy fucking allied Denmark with both Sweden and Norway.

God damnit, I give up. This region is so fucking stacked against the Golden Horde.

Kabouter

I think Bohemia might honestly be at least as good a nation for forming Prussia as Brandenburg, and probably better due to the much higher starting base tax. You start with only four Czech provinces as well as two Saxon ones. Then you just need to take three more Saxon provinces (not too hard, just beating Saxony and its Thuringian subject would be more than enough), move your capital and culture shift to Saxon to unlock the Reform into Prussia decision. Then it's just a matter of conquering three Teutonic Order provinces (can be done in one war), and waiting for reformation/admin tech 10.

Oh, and happy birthday Crab :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I must say the Daimyos sounds like a tough crowd after the changes to liberty desire in 1.10. They're already a wild bunch, and if they decide to gang up on Kyoto early on it could get nasty

Haly

Reading the dev diaries about Maya and Inti. They both sound like huge pain in the butts, jesus.

Anyway, as long as we're still discussing our single player campaigns, I finished the Prester John achievement a few days ago:

There's no real reason to continue, but it was a fun nation to play and I enjoyed spreading Coptic everywhere. Ethiopia would be an interesting choice for someone else in multiplayer, though I probably wouldn't do it again myself so soon after this game.

I would probably take you up on that challenge, but I'm already playing in the region with Kilwa, so I'm not really feeling it, either.

Reading the dev diaries about Maya and Inti. They both sound like huge pain in the butts, jesus.

Not a fan myself either.

You have a link for lazy bums?

Haly

You have a link for lazy bums?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...elopment-Diary-3-Inti-Maya-and-Liberty-Desire

I don't see why ANYONE would actually want to reform as Maya or Inti, seeing as how it undoes maybe 10 years of progress for a modest buff, comparable to completing an Idea.

EDIT: On reread, Inti seems more manageable depending on how big the rebel stacks are, but losing 10 provinces out of 20 is absolutely ridiculous. I assume they have to be cored? That is anywhere from 200-500 ADM points, thousands of manpower and numerous wars.

smjanssen

Interestingly, this advice is solid for every lucky nation-great nation in the game
except for Austria, I guess

Castile can also be demolished later, due to the narrow border in the Pyrenees. Best actually after they form Spain so you can release Aragon.

Though I usually ally France to do this for me :p

Unless you want to deal with their colonizing. Then you really do have to take out Castile and Portugal really early on, and at least take away their coastline.

Just blocking off Muscovy from Perm/Sibir and taking the Iberian coastline can stop them from doing that. You'd still have to deal with France and England then, of course.

smjanssen

Tbh, when I play countries near GB they usually don't last that long. Once you destroy their fleet it's easy to land enough troops in either Ireland or Gb itself while blocking their troops on the other half

Yeah. That's especially true if you can ally some naval powers (Hansa, Denmark, Venice or even the Ottomans). Still, I never underestimate powers that are bigger than me. I've burnt myself far too often being overconfident haha.

smjanssen

Yeah. That's especially true if you can ally some naval powers (Hansa, Denmark, Venice or even the Ottomans). Still, I never underestimate powers that are bigger than me. I've burnt myself far too often being overconfident haha.

Well, sure. But I usually have no need to invade GB unless I'm located in one of the coastal tradenodes, so English Channel, Bordeaux or Seville. And in those cases you are able to raise a more than decent fleet yourself

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How the hell do you conquer Friesland or East Frisia at the start of the game without being stump on by Austria? (playing with Granada for example)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How the hell do you conquer Friesland or East Frisia at the start of the game without being stump on by Austria? (playing with Granada for example)

East Frisia isn't part of the HRE - Austria shouldn't interfere.

Kabouter

With Granada, Urbino is the better choice for non-HRE stuff. East Frisia is a bit distant, you might not be able to core it straight away.

Haly

I figure it's high time I try my hand at some achievements to get a better feel for different mechanics.

First up:

Portugal Run
The Five Colonies
Market Control (seven trade goods)
This navy can take it all (7.0 morale)
Master of India
No Pirates in my Caribbean
Not So Sad a State (Brazil, Africa)
Down Under (Australia)​

Should be doable in one game, no?

It's just Pirates of the Caribbean that seems shaky, since I'd have to somehow block Castille from South American entirely. Are there any strats for taking out Castille right from the start?

Kabouter

Only way you're taking out Castile early is if you're allied to France and Aragon. France is an absolutely must. If France doesn't set Castile as a rival after the HYW ends, easiest to restart imo.

Haly

Only way you're taking out Castile early is if you're allied to France and Aragon. France is an absolutely must.

I figure I could try something like:
Ally Castille
Ally Aragon
Improve France
Declare War on Tiemcin (preferably with Ottoman support), calling in Castille
Wait for Castille to ship their troops there and eat a bunch of attrition/damage
Take what I can from Tiemcin, maybe Vassal?
Drop Castille
Ally France
Declare calling France and Aragon
Patrol coast while I wait for my allies to do their thing

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
East Frisia isn't part of the HRE - Austria shouldn't interfere.

Oh, I though East Frisia is in. Now only I have to find a start next time in which they don't have an ally. Friesland is always ally-less at the beginning.

Urbino isn't that easy, most of the time they ally Aragon (sometimes even after declaring war). And even if they don't I have everybody (including Austria) joining a coalition against me. The best way to do it until now is by conquering Ragusa and then I get The Ottomans as my ally, but it gets me too late in the position of getting back all the Iberian provinces (I finished the game twice with half of Iberia in and every time France had at list one province there). The negative is that if I ally the Ottomans I can't get France as an ally (because of the big power penalty - which is funny as any of the big powers don't have any issue in allying other 2 because of their big armies) until late in the game.

Now I conquered all the Tlemcen and vasalized Touggourt, Fezzan and Djerid and I have a +2 diplo rep advisor and I'm just praying to close the damn gap between negative and positive to be able to ally France before Castile declaring on me. I might need to get some loans and build an unsustainable army.

@Haly: Castile will never ally Granada as they have claims on the provinces and missions for it.

Edit: nope, getting loans won't get me there, I have -17 army penalty and 4 infantry units barely increase it to -16.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I though East Frisia is in. Now only I have to find a start next time in which they don't have an ally. Friesland is always ally-less at the beginning.

D1 East Frisia and just eat the stab hit. The fact East Frisia is at war will ward off allies. Aragon allies with Urbino because the AI thinks it can diplovassalize, but none of the nations near to East Frisia can vassalize it easily and they're not big so a war will deter them. You don't even have to immediately go to war, just leave the war running in the background and spend a year or two building up troops/cogs.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
D1 East Frisia and just eat the stab hit. The fact East Frisia is at war will ward off allies. Aragon allies with Urbino because the AI thinks it can diplovassalize, but none of the nations near to East Frisia can vassalize it easily and they're not big so a war will deter them. You don't even have to immediately go to war, just leave the war running in the background and spend a year or two building up troops/cogs.

If this African run fails, I will do that next start.

Steeven

In order to get back into the game, I too started a SP game. Although I consider myself a veteran EU player, it is actually my first game with Sweden. My goal is to release myself from the clutches of the greedy Danish as soon as possible. Overlord Denmark allied quickly with the Poland/Lithuania beast, but at that time, should I have DoW-ed Denmark, Poland was reluctant to support Denmark in a war against me. So in preparation of this war, I was building a navy that would dominate the Baltic, in order to prevent Danish troops entering my domain eventually, but by the time my navy was prepared, the future Commonwealth decided that it would actually support Denmark against me. Now, I am not too fond of 20k stacks entering through Finland, but support for my independence cause is weak. I managed to convince Scotland and the Hansa to support me (the latter is not weak, but cannot defend against the Commonwealth), but at this point, I am stuck with a big expensive navy which I cannot use. Meanwhile, Muscovy is raping Novgorod, whose precious Baltic coastline is now up for the taking. I am not sure what to do now. The only thing that is worth looking at while playing the waiting game, is an epic future war between France and Burgundy, who seem equal in power. Burgundy managed to connect its hinterlands with its Dutch territories.

fanboi

Banned
So, ehem, I see a lot of new posters... = new players?

Now back to bed... fucking flu.

EDIT: Also, fill in the players tab if you are participating.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fanboi got: "backstab kingsnake" with additional: "get banned on neogaf"

Mgoblue201

Interestingly, this advice is solid for every lucky nation-great nation in the game
except for Austria, I guess
It's especially important for Muscovy though because they'll only select expansion once they get a port, and you don't want them to start colonizing.
So, ehem, I see a lot of new posters... = new players?

Now back to bed... fucking flu.

EDIT: Also, fill in the players tab if you are participating.
Are there really 30 players who are definitely planning to join the next game, or are those just potential players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom