• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of fanboi needing to speaka da English

Who will be the first backstabbing victim?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's especially important for Muscovy though because they'll only select expansion once they get a port, and you don't want them to start colonizing.

Are there really 30 players who are definitely planning to join the next game, or are those just potential players?

Nothing is absolute here :p

Well, sure. But I usually have no need to invade GB unless I'm located in one of the coastal tradenodes, so English Channel, Bordeaux or Seville. And in those cases you are able to raise a more than decent fleet yourself

Personally, I'd rather have allies lose ships for the inevitable turnaround on them, than me. ;)

fanboi

Banned
It's especially important for Muscovy though because they'll only select expansion once they get a port, and you don't want them to start colonizing.

Are there really 30 players who are definitely planning to join the next game, or are those just potential players?

Potential players.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
are any of the new guys "ricky" on steam?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
^What's the rule on attacking another player at the start of the first session? I'm asking for a friend
who might end up playing The Ottomans

Fitz

^What's the rule on attacking another player at the start of the first session? I'm asking for a friend
who might end up playing The Ottomans

Don't forget that new players start with a rating of 3, too high for the likes of the Ottomans.

For some reason I'm lately drawn to the Mameluks.

Amazing nation, and just within your rank range. Just have to hope no one beats you to them. :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
He said he'd know Wednesday whether he could play or not :)
Of course you could always bug him on Steam to pick faster.

Why are we already picking? Its going to be another few weeks anyway, and there might be some other players joining still.

I still have a friend who might join as well, for example.

Kabouter

Why are we already picking? Its going to be another few weeks anyway, and there might be some other players joining still.

I still have a friend who might join as well, for example.

KingSnake doesn't have to wait for other people though, nor does anyone else with a rating of less than 3
And tell your friend to post if he wants in so fanboi can add him to the spreadsheet ;P

Toma

KingSnake doesn't have to wait for other people though, nor does anyone else with a rating of less than 3
And tell your friend to post if he wants in so fanboi can add him to the spreadsheet ;P

Was it only GAF members? I would contact fanboi about it otherwise then if he can join.

fanboi

Banned

Uzzy

Currently playing as the Teutonic Order in one of my games, and it's pretty tough going, even with Captain Habsburg on my side. So rude of them to go off and try to take on France/Hungary and the Ottos all at once, while Denmark, The Hansa and Bohemia join a coalition against me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think you have to be a gaf member to join, and in any case, old kab can take care of that.

I don't think there's any rule on not attacking anyone first session either, but I think there's a "no annexation" rule? Or at least used to be?

I just saw that the Eastern African nations that are on the list are classified having Muslim tech, but they have Indian
I know cause I'm playing in the region atm
. I corrected that. :)

Also, I thought only players with a rating of 1 were allowed to play rating 5 nations for some reason!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw that the Eastern African nations that are on the list are classified having Muslim tech, but they have Indian
I know cause I'm playing in the region atm
. I corrected that. :)

Also, I thought only players with a rating of 1 were allowed to play rating 5 nations for some reason!

The scale we use has 2 as "does roughly as well as AI", 1 is "does worse than AI". Obviously, if we're okay with the AI being France we have to be okay with someone roughly as good as the AI being France too.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I have decided that I am entering the next round, but I have a feeling it wont last very long this time either, as my laptop is seriously in need of replacement, getting hotter and hotter even with normal use, and I am just not sure it will be able to handle EU4 in a satisfactory way. Will definitely start the round though, then we will see if the lag during war is sustainable or not. Definitely looking forward to be a part of the community again!

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Nothing is absolute here :p
I'm sure there will be some attrition along the way, and I doubt that the game could even handle 30 players at once very well. I just don't want to be picking 29th.

By the way, what are the chances that Paradox finally fixes hot join in the next patch? That has to be a non zero chance at the very least.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm sure there will be some attrition along the way, and I doubt that the game could even handle 30 players at once very well. I just don't want to be picking 29th.

By the way, what are the chances that Paradox finally fixes hot join in the next patch? That has to be a non zero chance at the very least.

Lol, looking forward to check if backspace works or not!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"Esquire" and "Ricky" - are you guys new players on steam?

two private profile people has added me, no idea who they are.

fanboi

Banned
"Esquire" and "Ricky" - are you guys new players on steam?

two private profile people has added me, no idea who they are.

tumblr_lgisjjDXUM1qcgjnyo1_500.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The thing that makes that .gif is actually the kid's face in the background.

On a more important note, I say we start nation-choosing now. FACE will pick France because who wouldn't if they could, which makes KingSnake the Ottomans because who wouldn't if they could. If FACE drops out, KingSnake can be France. Doesn't touch anyone else below them because of the rankings.

Anyone else in favour?

FACE will now troll me and pick
Algiers.

Kabouter

The thing that makes that .gif is actually the kid's face in the background.

On a more important note, I say we start nation-choosing now. FACE will pick France because who wouldn't if they could, which makes KingSnake the Ottomans because who wouldn't if they could. If FACE drops out, KingSnake can be France. Doesn't touch anyone else below them because of the rankings.

Anyone else in favour?

FACE will now troll me and pick
Algiers.

Like Toma said, what's the rush. Even if we did what you suggest, then that'd just mean that Valhelm, Jwitjes and ZZMitch (if he's playing) could pick until we had to stop anyway to wait for any new players to enter. Until we finalize a player list, there's really no point to being quick about this. On top of that, we're not starting for weeks.

I would argue that Ottomans is much easier then France to play, at least it felt that way for me.

Yes, I agree.

fanboi

Banned
For me (why to get country selection over) it is to get a feel of my country since I don't play so much I don't have the general knowledge.

Kabouter

For me (why to get country selection over) it is to get a feel of my country since I don't play so much I don't have the general knowledge.

Then work on getting a finalized player list (or close to it), tons of people haven't entered whether they're playing or not in the list.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it matters a lot if both France and the Ottomans are
bad
players or one is AI for the options of the others.

So FACE, pick already!

I would rather know sooner than later too, to play some SP games like I would play in a MP (
so, crappy
). And to know on what countries to focus.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Like Toma said, what's the rush. Even if we did what you suggest, then that'd just mean that Valhelm, Jwitjes and ZZMitch (if he's playing) could pick until we had to stop anyway to wait for any new players to enter. Until we finalize a player list, there's really no point to being quick about this. On top of that, we're not starting for weeks.

No. There's no order to new players selections - they're all at 3, so it is first come, first served unless they ask otherwise. As such, we can complete the choices of everyone ranked 3 and below and still preserve the ability of new players to join. Given that this represents just over half of the players who displayed an interest, that's pretty significant; even more so when it determines most of the major nations that affect the choices of those lower down the table.

Why doesn't the host just upload the save file on dropbox or something and share the link with the players to avoid having to wait for the in-game downloads? :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why doesn't the host just upload the save file on dropbox or something and share the link with the players to avoid having to wait for the in-game downloads? :p

We decided it unfairly advantages certain players to be able to see troop positions and so on in wars. We can trust Kab to be neutral because he likes to metaphorically play Switzerland every game.

fanboi

Banned

Because then people (Crab, Fitz) load the save and check the outcome of battles, and attacks.

We want to keep the element of suprise :)

Kabouter

Haven't seen anyone mention the custom nations, that a thing we're going to use? Seems like a good way to balance multiplayer starts, assuming the system itself isn't imbalanced like CK2 custom rulers.
Well, the thing about custom nations is that while it's easy to balance on the one hand, it's very hard to on the other hand, since you can't really account for power of neighbours and thus expansion opportunities. So I'm a bit undecided on them to be honest.

We decided it unfairly advantages certain players to be able to see troop positions and so on in wars. We can trust Kab to be neutral because he likes to metaphorically play Switzerland every game.

Who knows, I might've picked something warlike this game if I actually was able to choose non-turd nations :+

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The trouble with custom nations is that they can't possibly account for expansion possibilities. An otherwise identical OPM situated in Italy is a very different prospect to one situated in central France. I think they would be effectively impossible to rank in the context of an ordinary EU4 MP game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom