• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Swedish rail defeating armies - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
By the Grace of God, we, Carlos de Valois, Emperor of All Spain, King of Aragon, Castile, Leon, Portugal, Galicia, Navarre, Sardinia and the Two Sicilies, King in Mallorca, Menorca, Toledo, Seville, Murcia, Cordoba, Jaen, Algeciras, Algarve, Corsica, the Canary Islands, and Cape Verde; Prince of Catalonia, Asturias, Girona, and Viana; Duke of Montblanc, Milan, Ferrara, and Mantua; Marquis of Liguria, Oristano, and Goceano; Count of Roussillon, Cerdanya, Cervera, Barcelona; Osona, Besalu and Covadonga; Lord of Balaguer, Biscay and Molina; and Defender of the Faith, do declare that...

...we fucking rock the house.

The Crown of Portugal was offered numerous alliances, but returned our kind advances with nothing more than hours and days wasted. Once, they were offered half the Castilian Crown; and with it the power to guarantee a lasting peace within our fair peninsula. Lacking the haste with which Aragon set to her noble purpose, they did not act. By the time the two came 'twixt the same paths of fate again, the Crown of Castile was in sole manner Aragon's. Seeing it as God's mission, therefore, to unite Hispania, his highness de Valois set forth in conquest of the Portuguese Crown. The war was as successful as it was swift, with an amazingly catchy associated musical theme. In awe of such prowess and capability, the Crown of the Two Sicilies sought but closer union with the Crown of Aragon, to seek such protection, and lo, the Two Crowns were merged under a full Act of Union. God made his pleasure clear to see by granting his highness de Valois full sway over the Carribs, and turned them to Christendom or struck them down to make way for true Spaniards.

Provinces gained: uncountable by mortal man (something like 11, I dunno).

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Will be very hard to define this though, when the AI plays, it always screws us up. How much is enough for not being able to screw over? How long would Fanboi have to wait before he could do something? What if he had planned it all along? I dont know, but I feel this is unfortunately a part of the game, at least if we can not find a very easy definable and applicable rule. Feel sorry for ZZM for what happened to him tonight though :(
At the very least, I thought that ZZMitch should have had the chance to fight France off, but I can't think of any hard rule off the top of my head that would have worked in that situation. Anyway, I hope that ZZMitch will return next time either as Venice or another nation. Venice isn't a complete lost cause, assuming fanboi doesn't take too much in the peace deal.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
At the very least, I thought that ZZMitch should have had the chance to fight France off, but I can't think of any hard rule off the top of my head that would have worked in that situation. Anyway, I hope that ZZMitch will return next time either as Venice or another nation. Venice isn't a complete lost cause, assuming fanboi doesn't take too much in the peace deal.

Yeah I definitely hope he returns as well, and there is no doubt that he got screwed pretty hard thanks to some terrible luck in that situation. Crab is the expert at making hard rules, so maybe he has a good suggestion.

ZZMitch

Venice AAR:

So that makes 2 sessions in a row where Venice is the first to crumble! I am proud to say I had a hand to play in both collapses.

Who would have thought that a random Windows Update would be the catalyst for the complete collapse of a balance of power in southern Europe? Alas. I don't think I will be back, I have no chance of competing with the Ottomans or Aragon anymore. You all have fun! I'm sorry you got a bit screwed by this as well Mgo but what can you do this happens in big online games like this I suppose. You will not find another ally as loyal as me though I am sure :p

Kabouter

The escalation in PvP frequency over the three games we've had is pretty interesting. In the first game there was barely any until way late in the game, and it heavily backfired. In the second game there was PvP, but really only after all expansion opportunities had been exhausted in Europe. Now, there's PvP all over the place from really early on. Next game I'm assuming PvP will be part of opening moves.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The escalation in PvP frequency over the three games we've had is pretty interesting. In the first game there was barely any until way late in the game, and it heavily backfired. In the second game there was PvP, but really only after all expansion opportunities had been exhausted in Europe. Now, there's PvP all over the place from really early on. Next game I'm assuming PvP will be part of opening moves.

I did predict this would happen when we discussed a constitution earlier. Do you see the value of no neighbouring nations at gamestart, now, morf?

EDIT: It also depends a lot on balance of powers, mind. In the first session, all of the powers in central Europe were pretty even except Manik, so nobody wanted to make the first move. I probably would have been DoW'd if a) I wasn't the meat-shield of Europe against Muscowy, and b) I was in a relevant theatre instead of on the edge. In this session, some players are clear frontrunners and can throw their weight around a bit more.

Mgoblue201

I think it has more to do with familiarity at this point. No one wants to be super aggressive (for fear of looking like a dick) until player vs. player wars become more acceptable and perhaps the norm.

Morfeo

I did predict this would happen when we discussed a constitution earlier. Do you see the value of no neighbouring nations at gamestart, now, morf?

I still think that rule should go away and that we should be able to choose freely based on a ranking system where the best players (MGO and the like) chooses last. At least that is much better than getting stuck with a country where you have no real chance of doing anything usefull.

Morfeo

Yeah, we either vote a list, or give a score to how each player has done during the game, and then find the average score and rank from that. Shouldnt be too hard.

FACE

Banned
You also managed to give Delhi a province, which was enough to make them to big for me to vassalize :(

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

fanboi

Banned
I don't have a problem returning all provinces back to ZZ if that is the consensus. I do agree that it was a bit unfair.

ZZMitch

I don't have a problem returning all provinces back to ZZ if that is the consensus. I do agree that it was a bit unfair.

If people think that is the right thing to do then okay, but I am content. These things happen. If we set a precedent making big changes whenever the AI fucks something up then things could get complicated fast :p

Mgoblue201

Venice will probably survive losing a few provinces, plus whatever else. I assume ZZMitch will continue to play the same nation then?

Kabouter

Eh, if you limit yourself to taking the islands surrounding Ottoman lands, Venice should be fine, especially now that Austria has been severely weakened by French involvement, providing easy expansion opportunities for ZZ.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Aar:

AI Bavaria apparently rocks, I knew those sneaky venetians would get punished for ruthlessly stealing my core in Konstanz :p

Morfeo

Eh, if you limit yourself to taking the islands surrounding Ottoman lands, Venice should be fine, especially now that Austria has been severely weakened by French involvement, providing easy expansion opportunities for ZZ.

This sounds like the right thing to do yeah.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Did the AI grab one of the austrian provinces on which I had a claim? Smart computer.

Also, a decade of sucking french cock redeemed!

Morfeo

Did the AI grab one of the austrian provinces on which I had a claim? Smart computer.

Also, a decade of sucking french cock redeemed!

I think you, like Sir Digby, would just be better off letting the AI take matters in its own hand from now on - was by far the best bavarian session so far when you were away yesterday!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think you, like Sir Digby, would just be better off letting the AI take matters in its own hand from now on - was by far the best bavarian session so far when you were away yesterday!

Meh, it all played out exactly as schemed :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Next time I should pick a country which generally performs better as AI. Two sessions of AI and I play survivor game with England, had no good alliance (Portugal being Aragon's bitch is not counted) and no colonies although all the tech was already there and now I'm playing catch up to those rich Hanseatic bastards.

FACE

Banned

That hurts Morfeo, hurts almost as much as not being able to vassalize a country because there's some raging asshole doing random things to your neighbours.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That hurts Morfeo, hurts almost as much as not being able to vassalize a country because there's some raging asshole doing random things to your neighbours.

For someone locked between Hindustan, the Ottoman Empire and the Mamluk Sultanate, those are some big words.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess you're about to go out of business Fanboi?

Morfeo

I know of a few things that will hurt even more...

just kidding

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
No one's sick anymore, and I'm ready for tonight! Can't wait to see if the AI converted to Protestantism for me last session, or if it did some other neat stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Join the Protestant club. All the cool kids are doing it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the fact everyone is turning Protestant. Now I get easy control of the Papacy and a free CB on y'all!

Kabouter

AAR:
Finally got my own country, immediately saw any hopes of a successful game dashed by a European nation relocating to America with its capital in a province adjacent to me. Wonderful.

CloudWolf

AAR: Did nothing, lost a bunch of provinces and vassals. Currently in a war with Poland, Austria and Anhalt (broke a truce, but my staility was already negative, so /care). This game is not going as well as I hoped.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AAR:

Took four provinces - conquered Urbino, took 3 from Venice. Currently assisting France against Burgundy. It is a tedious war because numerically the Franco-Aragonese alliance has overwhelming superiority, but the French generals are so immensely dumb that they either a) sit around and do nothing, not even sieging, b) wander off to other parts of the country because apparently Languedoc needed inspecting, and c) failing to chase and stackwipe Burgundy's defeated armies. Fortunately, with Italy consolidated under my rule and 4 Quantity ideas, I have enough wealth to get a zillion jillion mercs and even if I didn't my manpower is supercharged and barely scratched at the moment. My peace demands are not grand - Burgundy returns Guyenne to France. Any peace deal involving that is acceptable to me. Otherwise, I'll keep pushing and pushing until France makes their own offer at 40/50/60/70%, who knows. Ball is in your court, mgo.

Fitz

Did a sweet load of nothing today. Kabouter had continued the great march east however, a fine comrade he will make. I eagerly await reports of his progress in the west!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AAR: Quite a strange session. I took another province from the natives, England declared war again, France refused to join, Haly and Kab immediately tried to take advantage of poor old me. Seized a colony from Haly and I was sieging two provinces of Kab when I got some nasty revolts, plus due to OOS I couldn't do anything with my troops and a lot of menus. So I had to accept England's proposal to give away the last old Scottish province and my capital. Automatically my new capital was moved to the New World, where I hope in a new beginning for not just for The Free.

Kabouter

AAR: Quite a strange session. I took another province from the natives, England declared war again, France refused to join, Haly and Kab immediately tried to take advantage of poor old me. Seized a colony from Haly and I was sieging two provinces of Kab when I got some nasty revolts, plus due to OOS I couldn't do anything with my troops and a lot of menus. So I had to accept England's proposal to give away the last old Scottish province and my capital. Automatically my new capital was moved to the New World, where I hope in a new beginning for not just for The Free.

...I was warring with Canada, where you weren't? And Haly literally did nothing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
...I was warring with Canada, where you weren't? And Haly literally did nothing.

You were sieging my Canadian province especially named "The Other Yellow", to be differentiated from the Castillian slaves of that Aragonese killer of players..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Hansa AAR
8/7/1517 - 11/28/1524

Summary:

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad ships and white sails through the perilous night
O'er the shipyards we watched, were so craftily scheming?
And the gold's yellow glare, the cargoholds of ware,
Gave proof through the night that profit was there;
O say does that red-and-white banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Provinces Gained: Yamasee, Pamlico
Colonies Gained: Narraganset, Kennebec
Colonies Lost: Tuscarora
Colonial Nations Gained: Land of the Free

Kabouter

You were sieging my Canadian province especially named "The Other Yellow", to be differentiated from the Castillian slaves of that Aragonese killer of players..

Yeah, I noticed that a bit late lol, I went in there thinking it was more Castile (I couldn't see it yet, it was under fog). And then didn't bother to look at it further until way late, because I was managing stuff in my southern chunk of land.

Edit: Oh, and genius anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom