• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Swedish rail defeating armies - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
Like me, Face seemed to have enough to do with his own rebels.

Indeed, my 28k stack was wrecked by a 11k rebel stack. After I took a bunch of loans to hire mercs and wreck them I saw that there was another rebel stack on my lands
cry.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm just saying that KingSnake won't have to conquer Iceland to go colonial, so there would be no conflict there between you two. Certainly the two base tax Iceland is worth (I think) is not worth the effort of a PvP war unless KingSnake specifically wants to expend the effort to keep you from going colonial.

If it shuts off Haly from the colonizing, it probably is worth it. Colonizing is less useful the more people do it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it shuts off Haly from the colonizing, it probably is worth it. Colonizing is less useful the more people do it.

All depends on how fast I get the colonists and the explorer. If I'm fast enough I don't need to get Iceland. Depends also on how fast is England moving towards America.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
All depends on how fast I get the colonists and the explorer. If I'm fast enough I don't need to get Iceland. Depends also on how fast is England moving towards America.

I'm not saying you need Iceland, I'm saying it is massively in your interests to consider cutting Haly off from Iceland. France and England are both going to colonize, Brittany if it survives that long, me, Portugal, you and the Hansa makes for a crowded new world, and that's assuming mgo doesn't join, Castile doesn't survive long enough, or hell even Venice can rush Tunis and push west. Makes colonizing not very valuable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Last game as Portugal I was able to get the whole South America just for me. As Scotland I have a crap ass income and I need to think if I can afford to put resources into a war for Iceland or rather outpace Haly to NA. The AI is slower into colonizing usually, last time I managed to have all the South America just for me playing as Portugal and Kab had almost all the North America and Central America as England. Of course that if I have the opportunity and it will worth it, I will try to block him. But it might just not worth it, I will see. I will watch also the race between you and ZZ MitchValhelm with attention.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Last game as Portugal I was able to get the whole South America just for me. As Scotland I have a crap ass income and I need to think if I can afford to put resources into a war for Iceland or rather outpace Haly to NA. The AI is slower into colonizing usually, last time I managed to have all the South America just for me playing as Portugal and Kab had almost all the North America and Central America as England. Of course that if I have the opportunity and it will worth it, I will try to block him. But it might just not worth it, I will see. I will watch also the race between you and ZZ Mitch with attention.

What are zz and I racing for? Other than Tunis? Assuming he wants to colonize, that is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope Manik resolves his issues, because I don't think I can break the Kalmar Union by myself.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
no incentive for us to fight over that much, we steer back to the same node.

You'll hit the same issue that me and Fanboi had last time, once you split the Iberian Peninsula there's no expansion direction available for Portugal. Africa will be also contested with the Mamluks so he has to colonize as fast as possible and get the most of it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You'll hit the same issue that me and Fanboi had last time, once you split the Iberian Peninsula there's no expansion direction available for Portugal. Africa will be also contested with the Mamluks so he has to colonize as fast as possible and get the most of it.

You just go round the horn of Africa towards India?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Doesnt sound like a bright idea imo, all India can offer is rebels and peasant wars as far as my experience go.

GAME PASSWORD QUOTE TO SEE:

Hi EU4 gaffers, I want to play a game with you guys so here's me quoting the OP.

What else should I do?

Any skill level requirements etc? Cos, I'm all that good at it.

Always on Sundays and Wednesdays or if and when there are enough people?

Cheers.

mkenyon

Banned
I just realized that I'm going to be out this Sunday due to PAX. Driving up there for the day Saturday and Sunday.

If anyone wants to step in and play Bavaria, feel welcome.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Doesnt sound like a bright idea imo, all India can offer is rebels and peasant wars as far as my experience go.

Fortunately, we are superior Western tech nations, not backwater Hindu peasants like yourself.

according to Paradox anyway

Also I already shot-gunned Kabouter for next Sunday. :p I'm with my SO for our anniversary.

Kabouter

Fortunately, we are superior Western tech nations, not backwater Hindu peasants like yourself.

Also I already shot-gunned Kabouter for next Sunday. :p I'm with my SO for our anniversary.

It's weird how people in this thread both mock me for flopping as Gelre and want me to play their country :+.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird how people in this thread both mock me for flopping as Gelre and want me to play their country :+.

Never underestimate how bad the Paradox AI is, that's my motto.

Also you were pretty good as Brandenburg this last session.

Haly

I had to beg Kab to leave some room for me.

Have mercy on us Kab.

MERCY.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I had to beg Kab to leave some room for me.

Have mercy on us Kab.

MERCY.

Haly
One day Kabouter realized that
Hansa is just another
word for not enough Brandenburg.
(Today, 06:19 PM)

Haly

I would accept that tag if I didn't like mine so much.

Morfeo

About this, how terrible are the indian troops compared to western ones anyway? I get the feeling that I should just stop investing in the future since in about 100-150 years I will be overrun by Zerglings/westerners anyways and wont stand a chance no matter what I do. Is this assumption correct, or do I have a decent chance of mounting some resistance if I do everything right?

Kabouter

About this, how terrible are the indian troops compared to western ones anyway? I get the feeling that I should just stop investing in the future since in about 100-150 years I will be overrun by Zerglings/westerners anyways and wont stand a chance no matter what I do. Is this assumption correct, or do I have a decent chance of mounting some resistance if I do everything right?

At the end of the tech tree, Eastern units are in total 2 pips (out of like 30) behind Western, everybody else is 4 pips behind. Different tech groups peak at different times though. Eastern, Muslim and especially Ottoman units are relatively good early on compared to other tech groups at the same military tech level, but become more average later on to give one example. If you westernize in time and manage to catch up in military tech and have some good ideas, you'll be fine, but that's not easy obviously.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
You can find information about land units on the EU4 wiki. According to the website, it looks like Indian infantry is superior to western infantry up to tech 12. But after tech 18, Indian infantry falls permanently behind. Western nations receive unit upgrades more frequently and they have more pips even with tech parity. The difference isn't so big that you can't make up for it with superior numbers. It would still be really difficult for any player to defeat a unified India, and the number of soldiers required to make that happen would inevitably leave anyone open to a surprise invasion back in Europe. But if you're worried about an attack, then perhaps you should ally with someone in Europe who has no ambitions in Asia.

fanboi

Banned
Hi EU4 gaffers, I want to play a game with you guys so here's me quoting the OP.

What else should I do?

Any skill level requirements etc? Cos, I'm all that good at it.

Always on Sundays and Wednesdays or if and when there are enough people?

Cheers.

Since everyone is ignoring you I have to step in :)

No skill requirement.

We play Wednesday and Sunday, doesn't matter how many players we are.

Anyone that can give him a tip of a nation to play?

Kabouter

Since everyone is ignoring you I have to step in :)

No skill requirement.

We play Wednesday and Sunday, doesn't matter how many players we are.

Anyone that can give him a tip of a nation to play?

I can check the save to see which nations are still in good condition and are relatively free of outsiders if everyone is okay with me doing so? I haven't got a stake in the game so far, so it shouldn't do any harm for me to do so right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I can check the save to see which nations are still in good condition and are relatively free of outsiders if everyone is okay with me doing so? I haven't got a stake in the game so far, so it shouldn't do any harm for me to do so right?

Yeah, do it. Probably something in China/Japan would be the best bet. In Europe things are already hot.

Edit: You can post also an updated map if you do that.

Morfeo

At the end of the tech tree, Eastern units are in total 2 pips (out of like 30) behind Western, everybody else is 4 pips behind. Different tech groups peak at different times though. Eastern, Muslim and especially Ottoman units are relatively good early on compared to other tech groups at the same military tech level, but become more average later on to give one example. If you westernize in time and manage to catch up in military tech and have some good ideas, you'll be fine, but that's not easy obviously.

You can find information about land units on the EU4 wiki. According to the website, it looks like Indian infantry is superior to western infantry up to tech 12. But after tech 18, Indian infantry falls permanently behind. Western nations receive unit upgrades more frequently and they have more pips even with tech parity. The difference isn't so big that you can't make up for it with superior numbers. It would still be really difficult for any player to defeat a unified India, and the number of soldiers required to make that happen would inevitably leave anyone open to a surprise invasion back in Europe. But if you're worried about an attack, then perhaps you should ally with someone in Europe who has no ambitions in Asia.

Thanks to both of you! But about westernization, now that it doesnt change the troops type, will it really be worth it for like 80 years or whatever wasted?

Yeah do that, I am fine with it no matter where he joins.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
USED DLC:S

Conquest of Paradise
Wealth of Nations
Res Publica
Sword and Crescent
Purple Phoenix.

If one random gaf poster -- hypothetically -- wanted to join in on whatever state is available -- and that request was hypothetically accepted by the current players -- would said poster need to buy all these dlcs first?

FACE

Banned
If one random gaf poster -- hypothetically -- wanted to join in on whatever state is available -- and that request was hypothetically accepted by the current players -- would said poster need to buy all these dlcs first?

No, only the host needs the DLCs.

Kabouter

Thanks to both of you! But about westernization, now that it doesnt change the troops type, will it really be worth it for like 80 years or whatever wasted?
Probably? Otherwise your tech does cost 50% more. Just try to do it before your income rises too much I guess.

Will check the save now by the way.

Kabouter

There really are no great choices left, but here's a list of choices that won't mean insta-death or a boring as hell game because you can't do anything.

Possible countries that likely won't offend anyone:
Ming - Doesn't conflict with anyone, is big and untouched by any trouble so far (other than having -1 stab), does however have a deeply unfun faction system so I wouldn't recommend it.
Ayutthaya - Powerful South-East Asian country that has already taken a few provinces from Malacca and is currently winning a war against Aceh. Has a decent amount of expansion opportunities. Also a good current ruler and solid heir. Would consider this as an option.
Brunei - Hasn't grown or anything, but has also been relatively untouched by trouble. Might find it hard to expand with the growing strength of Ayutthaya however so I wouldn't recommend it.
Korea - With lots of independent countries in Japan, might find it easier than usual to gain a good power base as a result. Has an amazing current ruler and a decent heir. Relatively distant though for Westernization purposes, so do keep that in mind.
Hosokawa - Strongest Japanese minor, independent and at war with Japan itself, which has only three subjects left. Would find expanding reasonably doable, but might have similar problems as Korea with Westernization taking very long.
North American natives - Wouldn't recommend them, too many strong player countries interested in colonization I would say. If you do end up picking one, Iroquois probably look the most solid.
Oirat Horde - Relatively powerful horde with reasonable expansion opportunities, in the longer term will find a strong Russia to be its neighbour however.
Gujarat and Bengal - Both reasonably solid nations that are not immediately conflicting with other players but will find human opponents stronger than them (Timurids, Vijayanagar) soon enough. Wouldn't recommend them.

Stuff from this list will conflict with other players, so ask permission for these:
France - In great condition as usual, but directly between two strong human players.
Austria - In a strong position having gained a valuable province in Italy and retaining the imperial crown. Conflicts with several player nations however, specifically Bavaria and Venice in the immediate future. Likely Burgundy as well.
Bohemia - Looks okay-ish, but expansion opportunities limited due to presence of several HRE players nearby and a player controlled Poland. Definitely not recommended.
Hungary - Essentially located in a triangle between Ottomans, Poland and Venice which are all player controlled.
Savoy - Initially only borders one player country (Burgundy), but will quickly compete with Venice and Aragon. Probably the least offensive choice in Europe though as far as I can tell.
Castile - Between two player nations (Aragon and Portugal), but obviously still well-situated for expansion in the New World.
England - Burgundy and Scotland's (both player nations) bitch in the future. Currently however still in a reasonable state.

Current world map:

Morfeo

So two new players? I say France and Austria!

Edit: Btw, I cant get over how terribly stupid the new westernization stuff is. Makes playing in the east in a multiplayer game so much less enjoyable than what it used to be. What where they thinking? Any word from Paradox about them changing this back?

Kabouter

So two new players? I say France and Austria!

Would definitely make things more fun in Europe to watch, I might never willingly leave observe mode to babysit a country :p. Something tells me there might be more than a few objections though.

Morfeo

Would definitely make things more fun in Europe to watch, I might never willingly leave observe mode to babysit a country :p. Something tells me there might be more than a few objections though.

We can take England and Castille to compensate :)

Haly

;~~~~~~~~~~~~~;

All this cyberbullying I can't.

Haly

Okay, okay, maybe I'm guilty of a little hubris.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Korea - With lots of independent countries in Japan, might find it easier than usual to gain a good power base as a result. Has an amazing current ruler and a decent heir. Relatively distant though for Westernization purposes, so do keep that in mind.

Hosokawa - Strongest Japanese minor, independent and at war with Japan itself, which has only three subjects left. Would find expanding reasonably doable, but might have similar problems as Korea with Westernization taking very long.

If I try to join in I think I'd be interested in one of these two

CloudWolf

Guys, I'm really sorry, but I can't play this tomorrow either. I kinda forgot that I'm helping at an introduction camp for my university tomorrow (well, didn't forget, but I forgot it starts tomorrow and not Thursday).

So yeah, I'm playing my first session with you guys on Sunday the 30th, for real this time ^_^'

mkenyon

Banned
Any new player is welcome to Bavaria if they're going to be able to be there consistently.

Something that I did not consider until yesterday is that in addition to missing Wednesdays because I'm 11 hours behind you guys, I will be missing a decent chunk of Sundays due to the NFL starting soon. I've been a season ticket holder for the Seahawks for the last 11 years :p

So that's like half of the Sundays from September 14th through the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom