• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Court of Human Rights: Ban on Muslim full-face veil legal

digdug2k

You're all for discourse except from the people this directly effects. They have no choice in this matter, thats the problem.

Remove their choice, all in the name of freedom, how wonderful.
There are lots of women who choose to wear these out there. They believe in their religion strongly. Their religion tells them they need to keep their faces covered in public. They wear them out with their husbands/boyfriends/kids. They have fun. They're happy.

Deepwater

People do this all the time, if someone is too close to a situation to objectively view it then it is wise for someone else to give an opinion on it.

fucking disgusting. yall are so entitled to being the objective POV about lived experiences you don't have to live or experience. Maybe take a backseat and empower the people who are directly affected by it instead of claiming to know what's best for people who you know nothing about

I can't imagine how full of yourself you have to be to tell someone that they don't know what's best for them

Drive by post that doesn't make any sense.

It's not me, it's us. Us. European people, through our Courts and Assemblies. We are the ones who decide.

And we do this as a society all the time. Not just in Europe. Why do you think we have laws? They are basically pages of text stating what we think is best for people. Even if you think you kid is better off not going to school, we, the society, are not going to allow it. Or if you think your wife shouldn't be allowed to drive. Or if you think your kid shouldn't be vaccinated. Or if you think you don't need to wear a seatbelt. And so on..

This is how we function as a society, dude.

wartama

Neo Member
You'll probably find most of us have had to follow clothing guidelines for most of our lives already. Also, choice. Isn't that the operative word here? Your choice. Are we talking about the OP's full-face veil here?

I don't get to choose what I wear at work entirely, it has to conform to a standard and because of my choice to get a tattoo I must always wear a full-sleeve'd shirt, again I'm okay with that because I knew this would be a thing getting it.

Wanting to actually cover your face and carry on as is, if that's what we are talking about where I live is pretty much a no-no; more in some places than others. I feel amongst accepting other peoples beliefs and culture from another place is a thing we should all aspire to do but some things might be against some of our own norms? Is that the right word?

I want safety and financial stability. That's all I ask. To go to local market and to the GP without expecting that I would be stopped and fined/jailed because wearing a niqab. I don't have the luxury to work in countries where the niqab is enforced. My mother was imprisoned in a muslim country BECAUSE she dared to wear the hijab. In the Scandinavian country where I was born, I cannot even work and study with a normal Abaya and hijab, let alone a niqab. NOWHERE in the world can we be women, muslim and black and have a stable and safe lifestyle where I can work and go to uni and hospital and no be treated like dirt. And the Human Right court of all places should not have upheld a law that further restricts our rights.

Here's the thing: with this ban upheld, soon when other European countries follow suit, there would be nowhere where I can live as a muslim, black and queer woman. If I want to live like a normal human being, I would need to shed and hide one of these identities (which I'm actually kinda doing right now, since I'm still not fully out as a queer).
And the Human Right's court would be helping shaping that future. The Human. Rights. Court.

That's it, pack it up folks. Human Rights™ and Freedom* was a lie. I mean, what is the difference between Saudi Arabia enforcing a dress code and Belgium and France banning a dress code? Is it a matter of perspective, that "when they ain't doing it like us they're bad, when we do it it's good"? I mean, you could argue that not wearing the hijab in Saudi Arabia is going against social norms. Going against norms should never be the basis for criminalizing a dress code.

Deepwater

Drive by post that doesn't make any sense.

It's not me, it's us. Us. European people, through our Courts and Assemblies. We are the ones who decide.

And we do this as a society all the time. Not just in Europe. Why do you think we have laws? They are basically pages stating what we think is best for people. Even if you think you kid is better off not going to school, we, the society, are not going to allow it. Or if you think your wife shouldn't be allowed to drive. Or if you think your kid shouldn't be vaccinated. Or if you think you don't need to wear a seatbelt. And so on..

This is how we function as a society, dude.

don't wax poetic about laws about cultural pieces of clothing to wearing a god damned seatbelt

cwmartin

There are lots of women who choose to wear these out there. They believe in their religion strongly. Their religion tells them they need to keep their faces covered in public. They wear them out with their husbands/boyfriends/kids. They have fun. They're happy.

This makes Europeans uncomfortable, so they banned them. They are also proud of this.

I think you're being very naive believing that women can always simply choose not to abide by these customs, much like women don't choose to have their generals mutilated as is the custom in certain areas of the world.

Right. If a person is raised in a religious family, its hard to break away from something they were influenced by their whole lives.

Because thw reality is women who were forced to wear a Niqab had very little freedom to begin with. Have you heard of battered wife syndrome? The point being that even if they could contact help, chances are they wouldnt. And that is something that cant be easily solved. That is something that even plagues western society- despite laws against harming others, its something that is hard to stop.

Right, so now those women continue to be in an abusive relationship except now they can't even leave the house.

Success!

As for those who wear it with a choice in the matter..personally I cant see what hoops theyve jumped through to justify wearing a garment meant to oppress.

Talk to someone wearing a niqab and ask them?

Look through this thread and there are people who have talked about reasons why women choose to wear a niqab.

You can't see the reasoning because you have no interest in looking for them.

DR2K

Banned
I think ultimately women should have a choice, unfortunately they weren't given a choice when the Niqab was forced upon them due to a malicious interpretation of their religion. So I can forgive this ruling on those merits.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

It's a horrible thing to teach women to be ashamed of who they are and find joy in misogyny. This is religous brainwashing of the worst kind

TeddyBoy

fucking disgusting. yall are so entitled to being the objective POV about lived experiences you don't have to live or experience. Maybe take a backseat and empower the people who are directly affected by it instead of claiming to know what's best for people who you know nothing about

I'd happily empower the women who are more oppressed by this but as has been pointed out in this thread, women who need this assistance are unlikely to go and use it.

And no, I don't claim to know about the lives of everyone who will be affected by this. I am merely giving my opinion on whether I agree or disagree with this ruling.

d9b

Banned
Every society has laws restricting what people can do. If you want to make this argument you can only come to the conclusion that there are no free societies.
Fuck society that will bring laws that decide what people can or can't wear.

Horp

Why does the niqab wearing population of Europe have no voice in this matter? That's my concern. You are misunderstanding my position that the niqab has not been a traditional tool of oppression, and patriarchal control, that is not up for debate.
Of course their opinion matters. But, excuse my tacky and kind of distasteful comparison here, you dont ask alcoholics whether they should continue drinking or not.
What I'm saying is that many people have just accepted that the tradition is what it is, or even accepted the reasons behind it (which is even worse). Then, it's just natural human behaviour to find a reasoning that validates your life choices.
Thus we can't -only- listen to them, but also figure out what kind of society we all want to have. We dont want the caste system, we dont want to denounce women that has had sex before marriage (not even if they themselves feel guilty), and we dont want women to cover their faces with something that is an token for opression (not comparable with ski masks, lol).

Is this another one of these Muslims aren't a race arguments I hear so much about?
But the subset of Muslim people wearing Niqab is really low. As a Turk, I am also uncomfortable by niqab and burqa when I came across them in Istanbul.

It's more like forbidding procession of saint Nicolas du chardonnais or westboro baptist church symbols.

daxy

This rule was never meant to please everybody or be a conduit for freedom among Muslim women.

If you read the case, the Belgian state clearly says that it finds facial coverage counterproductive to societal and interpersonal interaction and communication, which is deemed necessary for the functioning of democratic society. The ECHR also simply says that it finds that the rule is appropriate for what it means to achieve and it's within the powers of the state to make such a rule with the framework of the human rights agreements it upholds. The Court is not casting any normative statements about what people here think is a rule to 'free' 'oppressed' women.

I've posted there relevant quote on the first page.

But the subset of Muslim people wearing Niqab is really low. As a Turk, I am also uncomfortable by niqab and burqa when I came across them in Istanbul.

It's more like forbidding procession of saint Nicolas du chardonnais or westboro baptist church symbols.

Not sure why it should be okay making the situation for a group worse because they're small.

wartama

Neo Member
Question. Is there a reason why only one gender wear it?

Because men and women have different dress codes?

Yep, what you see most muslim men wearing nowadays actually goes against the Islamic dress code as specified in Quraan/Hadiths. They cannot wear certain colours (pure red and yellow), their trousers should not be under the ankles. The beard should not be trimmed. If they wear trousers, they shouldn't be tight-fitting, so jeans are out. There are a lot of restrictions for men if you want to follow the letters. Few muslim men adhere to these specifications, but the majority don't because no one polices men wherever they are. Few muslim women adhere to the rigid specifications nowadays, but you know how the debate goes. Free them, them damn womens don't know what's good for them.

The hypocrisy goes in muslim and non-muslim societies.

Miles X

Is this another one of these "Muslims aren't a race" arguments I hear so much about?

Semantics.

It's not about muslims, it just affects them.
. It prohibits appearing in public "with a face masked or hidden, in whole or in part, in such a way as to be unidentifiable".

And too fucking right, shouldn't be allowed in a bank wearing a motorcycle helmet, a veil or a donkey mascot costume ...

guggnichso

Banned
What's the legal distance to bike to not be suspicious?

How cold is cold enough for ski masks or scarfs over face to not be suspicious?

No Street performers with costumes either then?

Would you just please read the article in the OP or spend literally 2min to google the law we talk about? I mean, of course, you can just not do it, but that’s really really lame.

T.O.P

Banned
0e3.png

Tough shit. This is Europe, not Pakistan.

Follow the law.

Both of these

Right, so now those women continue to be in an abusive relationship except now they can't even leave the house.

Success!

Battered wife syndrome. Sometimes abused people dont look for help. And its just something deeply ingrained. Look it up.

Talk to someone wearing a niqab and ask them?

Look through this thread and there are people who have talked about reasons why women choose to wear a niqab.

You can't see the reasoning because you have no interest in looking for them.

Ive heard the reasons. Feeling closer to god. How they show their piety. Whichever reasons they have.

The issue remains though that Niqabs are oppressive. And well, people should stop giving it the power it has.

cwmartin

Oh sure, because wearing a veil in public normal life is completely the same as when I do it when I go to make a photo that has explicitly the purpose to identify myself.

Eh, you misunderstood what I said. The laws are both equally racist because they explicitly and overwhelmingly affect one group over another. He asked why the law was racist, I'm using a comparable United States law that isn't written to be racist, but is actioned to be.

I'm not making an identification merits argument.

It's not about muslims, it just affects them.

And too fucking right, shouldn't be allowed in a bank wearing a motorcycle helmet, a veil or a donkey mascot costume ...

Pretty sure you could wear that stuff while shopping etc. and still take it off when you specifically need to identify yourself, say, I dunno, at a bank?

Eh, you misunderstood what I said. The laws are both equally racist because they explicitly and overwhelmingly affect one group over another. He asked why the law was racist, I'm using a comparable United States law that isn't written to be racist, but is actioned to be.

I'm not making an identification merits argument.

Oh, gotcha, sorry then. Second language and all :S

Liha

Banned

Do you also support something like:

I don't want these brown people and LGBT animals in my restaurant. I'm the owner and I can do whatever I want. I will put a "no negros and LGBT animals" sign in front of my business like in the good old 20's

d9b

Banned
Do you also support something like:

I don't want these brown people and LGBT animals in my restaurant. I'm the owner and I can do whatever I want. I will put a "no negros and LGBT animals" sign in front of my business like in the good old 20's
You what now?

Fuchsdh

I mean, this is a small price to pay for security and equality. I'm ok with mascot suits being banned in public spaces. Maybe let someone wear it if it's their job or at a convention, but there is no right to walk around disguised in a free society. It's just not part of free societies

People have interesting definitions of "free societies" in this thread.

Then that's domestic abuse and it already is a public crime in many countries. This type of thing should not be tolerated in any circumstance.

No shit, but you can't count on every case being discovered. This law will make it even harder for victims, since they won't go out anymore.

So you can go naked around your city? Are you sure there is somewhere in the world with NO regulations regarding clothes?

More to the point: we are not regulating what people can wear. We have decided it is an oppresive symbol, and we are not going to allow women being oppressed in our streets. Even if they think they are not being oppressed.

Again, those are our values as a society, and they are above any kind religious values. If your religion doesn't fit our values, then you have to adapt, not us.

Top Bottom