• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns fully revealed

No, we don't. Scalping is mostly the result on a company not being able or willing to fulfill a demand. So the fault lies already in the company. On which basis should a government forbid to buy a product and sell that product? Not to mention that a law should always be the result of a need and a few collectors not being able to buy a luxury product, because someone else was faster isn't really a problem that demands a new law.
Why? Sometimes mass production is just not feasible. Do you blame people who queue for tickets to a show but get beaten by scalpers too?

Koren

Why? Sometimes mass production is just not feasible. Do you blame people who queue for tickets to a show but get beaten by scalpers too?
I don't think he suggests anything like this, just that it's not a sufficiently important matter for a law/

And the laws against tickets scalping probably exists not to defend the consumer, but to defend people selling show tickets...

What is the link?
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07339W2V7/

Though you may check elsewhere... It seems that Amazon.fr cancelled orders THEN open preorders again afterwards. If this is true, I'm even more annoyed.

WolfStark

Well, I mostly agree, but this argument partly fail when there IS laws against similar practices.

For example, it's illegal here to make regular profit by buying and reselling tickets for sports, shows, etc. Plently of countries have laws against reselling a ticket above its original price.

It's harder (though not impossible) to adapt this to goods (and it could be hard to enforce) but I fail to see the difference.

Just forbid reselling above MSRP in e.g. the first 6 months, and most of the scalpers will disappear.

Probably but as you said with the tickets, it's highly likely that it's mostly about the ticket sellers themselves. When you buy a ticket, you are not buying it for the ticket but for a service. But this item here is not a service (even though we could talk a lot about licences but better not go this direction) but a product and there are usually enough chances to buy it. Tickets are a pretty defined way for a service and they are naturally limited by the space and time of the event. I think that is a very different case to an ordinary luxury item like a video game. Of course you could make such a law but not being able to buy a video game is in my eyes a pretty negligibly problem, to justify the whole political progress and the downsides. As much as scalping annoyes me, I want to be able to set the price of my property if I don't want it anymore, no matter when I bought it and no matter what this property is.

@SlipperyFishes
I agree, mass producing doesn't always work. I collect tabletop figures and some companies produce only 200 figures or so, because there simply aren't 5000 people that would buy that, at least not in the first weeks or month. But they are also usually not producing in such a low quantity that scalping happens to occure.

Koren

Probably but as you said with the tickets, it's highly likely that it's mostly about the ticket sellers themselves. When you buy a ticket, you are not buying it for the ticket but for a service. But this item here is not a service (even though we could talk a lot about licences but better not go this direction) but a product and there are usually enough chances to buy it. Tickets are a pretty defined way for a service and they are naturally limited by the space and time of the event. I think that is a very different case to an ordinary luxury item like a video game.
Again, I mostly agree with you. I'd still argue it's not anymore luxury than shows... and the whole difference between service and goods in terms of laws is more a result of lobbies than of logic. The case are different, but I don't believe there's more reasons to protect one than another (except the economical interests of companies and their efficiency at lobbying)

Of course you could make such a law but not being able to buy a video game is in my eyes a pretty negligibly problem, to justify the whole political progress and the downsides.
No doubt... but they waste a lot of time on many negligeable problems, so...

As much as scalping annoyes me, I want to be able to set the price of my property if I don't want it anymore, no matter when I bought it and no matter what this property is.
You're not doing this for a living, though. For some, it has become close to a work. If you're doing this on a regular basis, you're supposed to declare it (at least here) and I'm pretty sure that regular scalpers are not doing things legally.

You don't even need a law, most of the time, if the law was applied here, you would probably see far less scalpers.

Koren

I believe that the emails are only sent if the product is available for hours/days. I wouldn't be surprised it's a cron task, e.g. checking once a day if a product is available, and is so, sending emails.

But I think the worst part is when you receive an availability email, and discover it's just a scalper listing at 5x the price :/

Ready to F5 all day again, it's really annoying, and most probably, it'll be useless :/

Raiden

Banned
All you people bitching about NOA obviously never endured the hardship of being a Nintendo fan during the N64 era and before in Europe.

Months later we got what the rest of the world was playing. Let us have this one bras.

Ovek

7Member7
I hope you all realise if you do even get a preorder in at Amazon, Nintendo will fuck them over with stock allocation and force Amazon to start cancelling orders 24 hours before release.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I hope you all realise if you do even get a preorder in at Amazon, Nintendo will fuck them over with stock allocation and force Amazon to start cancelling orders 24 hours before release.

Zero problems in this regards with my NES Mini.

WolfStark

You don't even need a law, most of the time, if the law was applied here, you would probably see far less scalpers.

I agree with you. I know that we have a law that is a bit vague but all in all, if you buy something and sell it in under 12 month and the profit is above 512 Euro, you have to pay taxes. That doesn't really affect consumers like you and me but people who buy and sell on a professional level and I bet as same as you a lot of these don't pay their taxes. So yeah, I wouldn't mind if the law would be enforced a bit more here.

I never had that issue. Thalia.de on the other hand is notorious for great offers of rare collectors edition, especially nintendo games, without ever shipping them. It's a really great shop for books but you can't trust them on pre-orders from games. So if someone here sees the Legacy Edition on Thalia.de be aware that they have a tendency of either cancelling the order or to hold it but never to fulfill the order.

TheMoon

I never had that issue. Thalia.de on the other hand is notorious for great offers of rare collectors edition, especially nintendo games, without ever shipping them. It's a really great shop for books but you can't trust them on pre-orders from games. So if someone here sees the Legacy Edition on Thalia.de be aware that they have a tendency of either cancelling the order or to hold it but never to fulfill the order.

Still waiting for my FEFates LE from Thalia. (thankfully had it ordered elsewhere too)

DO NOT PREOREDER LIMITED STUFF FROM THALIA!

Koren

Thank you for this, I coudn't find it using the search
Don't forget you can get the address by substituing .de into .fr for example, Amazon stores share product numbers 99.999% of the time (you just have to remove anything in the address beside the "dp" and the product number)

the-iek

Did you get a confirmation mail from Mediamarkt already? I was able to order it, but after the final step a message appeared that the article is sold out.

Shiggy

Did you get a confirmation mail from Mediamarkt already? I was able to order it, but after the final step a message appeared that the article is sold out.

Check on your profile if it's listed. If it isn't listed in the next 10 minutes, then your order didn't go through. The email is always a few minutes delayed.

the-iek

Check on your profile if it's listed. If it isn't listed in the next 10 minutes, then your order didn't go through. The email is always a few minutes delayed.
Registration didn't work, so I used the guest order. Let's wait for the mail then ...

The item isn't even listed on Coolshop any more. Still have my order but the product page doesn't exist : /

Not really sure I trust them, expecting them to just cancel it at some point between now and release.

Shiggy

Maybe Tech-Nick has something for Germans who missed out on mediamarkt.de today:
screenshot2017-07-03a5pstw.png

TheMoon

The item isn't even listed on Coolshop any more. Still have my order but the product page doesn't exist : /

Not really sure I trust them, expecting them to just cancel it at some point between now and release.

they have great CS chat, you could just ask how this works there :)

Top Bottom