• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns fully revealed

Link_enfant

I was lucky to see its availability randomly after refreshing Amazon pages, this time I wasn't provided the info by anyone.
I managed to order one, I'll tell you if the order is cancelled.

Shiggy

Nintendo's thought process:
- nobody bought MP FF
- nobody wants Metroid anymore
- nobody buys 3DS games anymore
- we overproduced the FE Echoes LE
-> let's make very few units of this edition

But seriously, how many could they have made?
We know:
- France is getting 1,500 units
- Germany accounts for about 30% of NoE's revenues
- France, Spain, Portugal, Benelux, Russia together account for about 35% of NoE's revenues, of which France is the strongest market by far

So assuming the French market is about the same size as the German (30%), then we are just looking at about 5,000 to 6,000 units of this LE.

Koren

They did? Never seen a single one in store, or discounted, when most LE are readily available in stores...

So assuming the French market is about the same size as the German (30%), then we are just looking at about 5,000 to 6,000 units of this LE.
Even if France is close to Germany as a market, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that German allotment for this LE was an order of magnitude higher than France's.

Or Amazon.de has done a huge mistake.

I can't believe that the 100€ price would make ~1000 ex. sell THAT slowly.

Shiggy

They did? Never seen a single one in store, or discounted, when most LE are readily available in stores...

Amazon.fr is still selling it, so there's still stock left (mostly from Amazon.es).

Even if France is close to Germany as a market, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that German allotment for this LE was an order of magnitude higher than France's.

Or Amazon.de has done a huge mistake.

I can't believe that the 100€ price would make ~1000 ex. sell THAT slowly.

I think the French Nintendo market is more hardcore oriented. Germans buy the big games, Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda. French also buy Yokai Watch, Xenoblade, or Metroid. Also bear in mind that Amazon.de hasn't got the majority of the German shipment, Media Markt / Saturn typically get a far bigger shipment due to market share and the existence of physical stores. So Amazon.de probably got far less than 1000 units.

Rodolink

Yep. I've completely given up on Amiibos, and have 3 SNES mini preorders because I'm paranoid they won't make as many as they've told stores they will and there'll be cancellations.

Honestly how one company can make such consistently good products, but always fuck up their distribution and give their customers the finger always amazes me

We know it's the business model that works for them, that's why they do it, but man it sucks because us fans are the ones that suffer

Missed it while taking a shower for the fourth time. I really need to reconsider this hygiene thing, doesn't seem worth it at least until there are no more preorders anywhere.

Nintendo's thought process:
- nobody bought MP FF
- nobody wants Metroid anymore
- nobody buys 3DS games anymore
-> let's make very few units of this edition

I honestly think that is the reason why NZ/Aus didn't get the Metroid one. :( Shops here probably don't want to risk another 3DS LE thing in 2017 taking up shelf space and not selling.

Cause before that we've been given all the other 3DS and Wii U LE versions just the same as Europe. They wait until my beloved Metroid to say "Nar you guys don't need that one, you can try and get it from Europe though cause same 3DS region LOLOLOLOL!"

:(

Koren

mindblowing if true
You mean the 1500 ex. total for France?

We've got several confirmations, and Boulanger (who opened preorders at 3AM) started cancelling orders, and also state that this 1500 number for France is correct.

Since, for once, France listed it first and several shops sell internationally (including Amazon), it's indeed awful...

sphinx

the piano man

fuck, it's pretty damn hard not to be seduced by the scalping game.

if I sold me 2 spare preorders (or the games when they arrive), I could potentially get something around 100 euro (at the very least) of pure profit..

that could help me finance a switch come november

*sigh -_-

ZombAid82

fuck, it's pretty damn hard not to be seduced by the scalping game.

if I sold me 2 spare preorders (or the games when they arrive), I could potentially get something around 100 euro (at the very least) of pure profit..

that could help me finance a switch come november

*sigh -_-

I know how you feel!
I think I made the right call, and giving 2 of my 3 pre-orders to desperate GAFfers.

DocGroove

Neo Member
I asked Amazon.de for a price match with Amazon.it its price, but unfortunately they don't want to.

Thank you for contacting Amazon and for bringing this to our attention.

While we don't always beat the best available price on every product, we do offer deep discounts on many thousands of items. I'm sorry, but I cannot offer any additional discounts on completed orders. Generally, in between our markets we don't share prices as they're marketed under different VAT rates and for different markets.

There's still a chance that ours gets reduced by the time it gets released.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.de.

-shadow-

So outside of Nedgame, still absolutely nothing on the Netherlands correct?

That's what somebody claimed here:
https://twitter.com/GoldoNat/status/880688936900857856

And with how far it sold out, that's not too far-fetched.

We've got several confirmations, and Boulanger (who opened preorders at 3AM) started cancelling orders, and also state that this 1500 number for France is correct.

Since, for once, France listed it first and several shops sell internationally (including Amazon), it's indeed awful...

Nintendo Europe genuinely gone mad if these numbers are true. What the hell?

jelmerjt

So if France only gets 1500 units, does that mean that there are only going to be like 12000 to 15000 Legacy Editions in the wild in the world, period? Insane if so.

WolfStark

I can't imagine the Fire Emblem Echoes LE being overproduced. It's avaible online but barely offline and the price seems to be stable at 90 Euro (which is already a lot). I think the one LE which was really way overproduced was Hyrule Warriors Legends with the plastic compass. That thing is everywhere and shops often have offers for it for 20 - 25 Euro.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Starting to feel fine with paying 30 for the base game.

All that extra crap for 70 extra ?
Lol

The snes mini is 80

Shiggy

So if France only gets 1500 units, does that mean that there are only going to be like 12000 to 15000 Legacy Editions in the wild in the world, period? Insane if so.

If France, which amounts for 25-30% of NoE's market, gets 1500 units, then I'd say we aren't getting more than 6000 units in total.

Link_enfant

Starting to feel fine with paying 30 for the base game.

All that extra crap for 70 extra ?
Lol

The snes mini is 80

My three pre-orders are all at 95€for some reason (two on Fnac and one from Amazon)
Btw that's not for scalping, don't worry.

Koren

If France, which amounts for 25-30% of NoE's market, gets 1500 units, then I'd say we aren't getting more than 6000 units in total.
If that's the case (even if it's 10000), I don't understand why Amazon.de had it for sale that long...

Fuck @Wario64 for not alerting me of these going on sale. What a useless Twitter account, unless you're interested in CONSTANT alerts about nothing.

-shadow-

Which would be ridiculous since Bayonetta 2 First Print Edition had 15.000 copies, I legit hope that this isn't true with that ridiculously low number.

Shiggy

If that's the case (even if it's 10000), I don't understand why Amazon.de had it for sale that long...

Price, relatively higher stock compared to Southern European shops due to market size, and Germans not being quite as big on these niche titles as France. Amazon.de also isn't the biggest games retailer for Nintendo software over here.

Perhaps it will reappear on Saturn.de a few days before release. Happened with other LEs at least.

Which would be ridiculous since Bayonetta 2 First Print Edition had 15.000 copies, I legit hope that this isn't true with that ridiculously low number.

Think you can still get that one almost at original cost on eBay.

Koren

Price, relatively higher stock compared to Southern European shops due to market size, and Germans not being quite as big on these niche titles as France. Amazon.de also isn't the biggest games retailer for Nintendo software over here.
Does not compute...

I placed a FR preorder in the first minutes of availability (before noticing alerts), and I got cancelled. Most french people missed it or got their cancelled, several in this thread. So everyone in France jumped on Amazon.de, myself included...

I doubt price has that much an effect... We're talking hours instead of 3 minutes.

If Amazon.de hasn't much more games available, there'll definitively be cancellation, because I can't think they sold far more than Amazon.fr

Shiggy

Does not compute...

I placed a FR preorder in the first minutes of availability (before noticing alerts), and I got cancelled. Most french people missed it or got their cancelled, several in this thread. So everyone in France jumped on Amazon.de, myself included...

I doubt price has that much an effect... We're talking hours instead of 3 minutes.

If Amazon.de hasn't much more games available, there'll definitively be cancellation, because I can't think they sold far more than Amazon.fr

It depends on a lot of factors. You don't know how much stock Amazon.de got compared to Amazon.fr for example. Even if the markets are similar in size, the respective retailers may not be. Or Nintendo France may prefer selling to other retailers than Nintendo Germany.

The signups for the lottery allocation of the Legacy Edition preorders are up on xtralife.es for you fellow Spain based posters, best of luck.

Koren

It depends on a lot of factors. You don't know how much stock Amazon.de got compared to Amazon.fr for example. Even if the markets are similar in size, the respective retailers may not be. Or Nintendo France may prefer selling to other retailers than Nintendo Germany.
Not sure what you mean... I simply say that if Amazon.de hasn't sold items he won't get, I'm sure they have a far larger stock than Amazon.fr and Micromania combined, and I fully expect Amazon and Micromania to have >60% of french allocation (thus 900-1000+)

I may be wrong, but you can't have on Amazon.de stock that lasts hours, and on all french websites less that 5mn *in the best case* followed by cancellation. It seems that some distribution chains got 50-100 for the whole country.

ToonLink

Where you at UK Pre-orders?!

ZJZbJkB.gif

Top Bottom