• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns fully revealed

Ein Bear

I can't help but wonder why Nintendo even bother making these sorts of things if the quantities are so low. Seems like the end result is just a bunch of disappointed fans and a profit so small and irrelevant that it won't make a blip on their internal finances.

I love me some Nintendo memorabilia, but between this, Amiibo and the SNES mini I'm getting very disillusioned with the whole thing.

I can't help but wonder why Nintendo even bother making these sorts of things if the quantities are so low. Seems like the end result is just a bunch of disappointed fans and a profit so small and irrelevant that it won't make a blip on their internal finances.

I love me some Nintendo memorabilia, but between this, Amiibo and the SNES mini I'm getting very disillusioned with the whole thing.

Marketing probably. Stirs up hype and puts the game in the topic of conversation.

jelmerjt

Any amiibo preorders up yet in dutch?

You can pre order both the Legacy Edition and the amiibo starting today in a Game Mania store. Good luck though.

kEn07Mm.jpg

https://twitter.com/GameManiaNLD/status/883234955106676736

Marketing probably. Stirs up hype and puts the game in the topic of conversation.

Sadly this is most likely it.

I honestly think Nintendo really do only reluctantly care about their adult fanbase as a cheap marketing tool to be exploited to hit their sales targets, and would prefer not to cater to us at all if they could help it.

Impotaku

I'm failing to see what's so special about this special edition, it seems very run of the mill. Crap looking keyring, useless metal badge thingy, a unusual looking steelbook case, a 40 page art book that will be the usual half hearted stock artwork, and a soundtrack cd. All housed in one of those rubbish flimsy cardboad boxes that grace euro special editions.

For once i'd love to see them put something in one that really makes it stand out, not just some token tat. Think i'll be sticking with just the game & maybe those fab looking amiibo.

sphinx

the piano man
are the amiibos also expected to be as rare (as in, never even seen in stores)??

is there any precedent of any amiibo released in extreme low quantities and staying like that forever?

from what I remember, all rare amiibos from early on received a reprint and after that nothing was truly rare.

I'm failing to see what's so special about this special edition, it seems very run of the mill. Crap looking keyring, useless metal coin, a unusual looking steelbook case, a 40 page art book that will be the usual half hearted stock artwork, and a soundtrack cd. All housed in one of those rubbish flimsy cardboad boxes that grace euro special editions.

For once i'd love to see them put something in one that really makes it stand out, not just some token tat. Think i'll be sticking with just the game & maybe those fab looking amiibo.

You're right, that IS what someone without a preorder would say!

In all seriousness though, a lot of us want this for the fact that it is collectible, rather than any individual component of it having any use. It's the same as people who collect antiques, stamps or most other things. It's not necessarily nice-looking or useful, but it is rare and to some, that makes it worth having.

are the amiibos also expected to be as rare (as in, never even seen in stores)??

is there any precedent of any amiibo released in extreme low quantities and staying like that forever?

from what I remember, all rare amiibos from early on received a reprint and after that nothing was truly rare.

The latest Zelda amiibo still seem pretty rare. The UK Nintendo store restocked them once and they were gone in minutes. That's my experience here anyway.

vazel

Banned
I'm failing to see what's so special about this special edition, it seems very run of the mill. Crap looking keyring, useless metal badge thingy, a unusual looking steelbook case, a 40 page art book that will be the usual half hearted stock artwork, and a soundtrack cd. All housed in one of those rubbish flimsy cardboad boxes that grace euro special editions.

Nice try, but I'm not canceling my pre-order so you can then snatch it up.
Zho7B4s.gif

Raitaro

It's getting high time that consumers, game journalists, "influencers" and store managers start grilling Nintendo for these kind of release practices. It's downright absurd that a limited edition item is pretty much literally impossible to buy. Yes, it should be limited and more expensive but not to this degree!

Surely Nintendo must be getting aware that Ebay + scalpers are the only two parties that end up being satisfied here? Would it really kill them to produce more of them to help fight scalping and reward loyal customers, even if some end up not being sold (which is highly unlikely even at 10x the amount of units produced for most of these kind of items it seems)?

I honestly have no clue what Nintendo's plan is with all these "gone in a second" releases except word of mouth because of sheer frustration and even desperation...They completely soured me on the whole thing and I can't even get interested in any Nintendo limited editions at all anymore if all I can think is "it will be impossible to get this." Sigh...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

There are special editions with far less shit than what this one's got, run of the mill aint not

I'm not bothered by how limited they are, make it 100 total if you want. What bothers me is the completely random, unorganized way they're being dripped out into the marketplace. Maybe have everyone interested sign up and pick names out of hat?

There must be a better way than forcing any Metroid fans who want it to have to resort to scalper tactics and software in order to stand any real chance. This release should be a celebration of a beloved series, but in the end it just makes people pissed at Nintendo.

Man, I just got an email from amazon de titled "metroid: samus returns"

Was shitting bricks when I opened it thinking that it was cancellation, but thankfully it was just a "like metroid? here's other crap we think you'll like" spam

Managed to order one at my local Gamemania store. What a relief. I was offline but they called me if I wanted to upgrade my regular edition order to the Legacy Edition. What a nice thing to do _O_

WolfStark

I agree with you, it is a pretty standard Special Edition. Everything in it is rather cheap in terms of production cost, including the art "book". I still think it's fine because 70 Euro is for such an edition a rather fair price and the stuff looks great, especially the steelbook, which is my main reason for buying this edition. I agree with you on the box to a certain degree. The Fire Emblem Echoes SE had a really nice box in the US with gold letters, while Europe got this standard box. On the other hand I do like that a lot of these SEs from Nintendo now are (kind of) standardized and that the card box is pretty durable. The Link Between Worlds GAME exclusive SE box was cheap but from that onward it's all pretty thick.

I think the Persona 5 SE wasn't that great. It was more expensive and pretty much everything was just a demo-version. The soundtrack was in a slim cardboard slipcase and contained 19 songs, while the japanese version had all Persona OSTs, the artbook was 50 pages or so while there is a real artbook with 500+ pages out there and even the school bag is a pretty cheap replica, they sell a lot better and more game accurate version.
The Metroid Samus Returns Legacy Edition feels better, it's not special in terms of unique items and appearance but at least I don't feel that I buy expensive promotion material.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hmmm, they debited my money as well. That said, it's in "pending" on my side, so it could be it's just verifying I have enough money for now. Some shops do that.
And yeah I preordered with a debit card as well.

So despite me cancelling, the amount is still pending on my credit card, is it the same for you still?

Flintty

I'm not bothered by how limited they are, make it 100 total if you want. What bothers me is the completely random, unorganized way they're being dripped out into the marketplace. Maybe have everyone interested sign up and pick names out of hat?

There must be a better way than forcing any Metroid fans who want it to have to resort to scalper tactics and software in order to stand any real chance. This release should be a celebration of a beloved series, but in the end it just makes people pissed at Nintendo.

I agree. They should do what they did with the Anbassador Edition 3DS.

As silly as it may sound all this shit has actually even soured my excitement for the game in general, just fills me with an overall disappointment in Nintendo.

This coming from a huge Metroid fan (my kitty's name is Samus!) that complained for years about the series not getting the respect it deserved and how pissed I was at Nintendo for ignoring it... now they finally release the next game and still somehow manage to disappoint me with having this cool CE that is impossible to get. :|

I bet that then Nintendo UK store will not even message/email me when they go up, just like the zelda amiibo restock.

Damn, i'm salty and it hasn't even went up yet.

sphinx

the piano man
Might be a good idea to add Amazon.de to a website change tracker. I just read on Twitter that the Legacy Edition was available 45 minutes ago on Amazon.de, but again for a very short while.

https://twitter.com/TwiIightRealm/status/883712280612962304

https://twitter.com/OpeDome/status/883712572909903872

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07339W2V7/

I don't doubt it, it happened also with NES mini and Majoras Mask 3DS Limited Edition (which they overproduced it seems, they overestimated demand for that one)

sphinx

the piano man
wait... what exactly happens when you click on "artikel stornieren"....??

last week I stayed a night at a hostel in Spain that pulled the same shit when I booked a night online, they called it a "pre-authorization", they claimed is not a charge, only to make sure the card was real... anyway, once there, the lady was very kind and asked if I wanted to pay with the credit card or other method, I asked her to cancel the pre-authorization and I paid with euros, she cancelled the CC transaction in front of me with the little machine and gave me a copy of the cancelled transaction.

when I check my credit card info online, the charge does not appear, however, my credit limit is less, so yeah like someone said earlier, they "block" the ammount of the pre-authorization on your credit for the duration of a month.

if you cancel your coolshop preorder using credit card, I'd asume the "pending" charge will disappear by the end of the month, if you used paypal, I'd think nothing will happen and the pending thing is not valid anymore, I mean they just cannot charge you for something you clearly canceled and/or didn't receive, we all know that won't fly in Germany for a second, they'd get sued to hell and back if they tried anything funny.

wait... what exactly happens when you click on "artikel stornieren"....??

last week I stayed a night at a hostel in Spain that pulled the same shit when I booked a night online, they called it a "pre-authorization", they claimed is not a charge, only to make sure the card was real... anyway, once there, the lady was very kind and asked if I wanted to pay with the credit card or other method, I asked her to cancel the pre-authorization and I paid with euros, she cancelled the CC transaction in front of me with the little machine and gave me a copy of the cancelled transaction.

when I check my credit card info online, the charge does not appear, however, my credit limit is less, so yeah like someone said earlier, they "block" the ammount of the pre-authorization on your credit for the duration of a month.

if you cancel your coolshop preorder using credit card, I'd asume the "pending" charge will disappear by the end of the month, if you used paypal, I'd think nothing will happen and the pending thing is not valid anymore, I mean they just cannot charge you for something you clearly canceled and/or didn't receive, we all know that won't fly in Germany for a second, they'd get sued to hell and back if they tried anything funny.

Artikel stornieren means cancel item

Top Bottom