• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns fully revealed

My amazon.de international order ships the day after launch; is that normal? At amazon.es they usually ship a day before realese and the few times they haven't mostly ended up in canceling my orders because of lack of stock...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
aaaand I'm left without any order :-(
This sucks so hard, I love 2D Metroid so much, ugh

Marcopoloshop/Unieuro canceled mine...

Shiggy

New cover!
screenshot2017-08-23ailszq.png

11496790-203449619014qys5v.jpg

Somebody please explain why Amazon Germany wants like €100 for a copy when other retailers priced it around €70. I don't buy game merch from Europe or Amazon Germany usually so this seems really bizarre.

Somebody please explain why Amazon Germany wants like €100 for a copy when other retailers priced it around €70. I don't buy game merch from Europe or Amazon Germany usually so this seems really bizarre.

Amazon.de has recently decided that it will charge more, since it usually sells out anyway. And they are getting away with it to...

i hope that Amazon.co.uk never turns into them.

Amazon.de has recently decided that it will charge more, since it usually sells out anyway. And they are getting away with it to...

i hope that Amazon.co.uk never turns into them.

That's disgusting but I guess publishers can't intervene. I can't cancel my pre-order either, the alternative would be buying from eBay scalpers...

ZenTzen

Fnac portugal had the LE available today for a couple hours with a 15% discount, i was finally able to preorder the thing

They also have the SNES Mini available as well

Shiggy

uhoh... will the German edition have their shitty rating on the game box?

I think they just took the normal non-German game box here. The game box in the limited edition will not feature any rating logo apparently. If it suddenly does, then it's both the USK and PEGI logos (as with all Nintendo LEs prior to Zelda BotW) and not just either the USK or the PEGI logo.

TheMoon

uhoh... will the German edition have their shitty rating on the game box?

that's a regular standard edition game there. LEs do not carry ratings logos anymore on the actual game case artwork. the outer box (cardboard box) will of course still have both since they're still doing pan-EU SKUs for these.

Anyone got their game.co.uk pre order cancelled?

I think they'll cancel a lot since it was available for a long time :/ It's my only pre-order so yea I guess I'm fucked

Chittagong

Gold Member
With heavy heart, I cancelled my standard edition preorder today. I am really excited about the game, but after a lot of self reflection, I became convinced that I simply can not go back to playing on 3DS. I hate everything about it. The game would go unplayed.

Gutted, but I think it was the right call.

yuoke

Banned
With heavy heart, I cancelled my standard edition preorder today. I am really excited about the game, but after a lot of self reflection, I became convinced that I simply can not go back to playing on 3DS. I hate everything about it. The game would go unplayed.

You couldnt be that excited if you cancelled the preorder just for that.

Uh....what?

Chittagong

Gold Member
You couldnt be that excited if you cancelled the preorder just for that.

Maybe reading the hype here will get me reorder. The treehouse videos were fantastic, I know there has been scepticism towards the developer, but the game looks legit. NCL probably steered a lot.

MegalonJJ

Banned

We know who to blame when they take another 10years to make a 2D side scrolling Metroid

You resolution fetishists are ridiculous.

I mean, the 3DS DOES need to die, but like hell I'm going to just pass on a game I'm excited as hell for over it.

Especially when it's the first "2D" Metroid in well over a decade.

TheMoon

This is the most insane thing I read this week, you've won.

angelic

Banned
I'm not buying it because it's on 3DS too.

It's depressing. Hopefully it ends up on Switch like it should have been in the first place.

This is woefully incorrect though (no offence to you), because if it came out on Switch you've instantly double the resolution, double the expectations of the game's fidelity, double the development costs and so on. It was never coming to Switch, be thankful we're getting a 2D Metroid and support them.

Amalthea

Banned
Does anybody know if the PAL version has the reversible retro cover too? It would kinda make sense since the steelbook looks like the cartridge but the reversible covers shown until now were all from the US version afaik.

This is woefully incorrect though (no offence to you), because if it came out on Switch you've instantly double the resolution, double the expectations of the game's fidelity, double the development costs and so on. It was never coming to Switch, be thankful we're getting a 2D Metroid and support them.

I wouldn’t care less if it was a glorified up port. It should release on both on the same day.

TheMoon

And minus the objectively superior second screen UI giving you extra buttons and constant map and a clean gameplay screen.

Does anybody know if the PAL version has the reversible retro cover too? It would kinda make sense since the steelbook looks like the cartridge but the reversible covers shown until now were all from the US version afaik.

We don't know yet.

Captain Jim

Neo Member

This is totally correct. The amount of people whining about the 'poor graphics' and 'zero ambition' would have been ridiculous. As it is, it looks like we're getting a fantastic new(ish) Metroid title in 3D on Nintendo's glorious little console. If you love Metroid and have a 3DS then you need to support the title.

angelic

Banned
I wouldn't care less if it was a glorified up port. It should release on both on the same day.

Yes but new and more casual Switch owners would see this 2d rough looking game, and think wow this new console isn't great. They'd be wrong obviously but it would harm perception of the Switch. Besides, theres nothing wrong in the 3DS, it has a larger installed base, smaller dev costs, it's the natural home.

edit - seems everyone had it covered before me, and great point about the permanent map.

Ein Bear

There's something funny about the slightly long-in-the-tooth 3DS being considered too ancient a platform to even consider playing the first new 2D Metroid game in 13 years. It's still the most modern, capable platform the 2D series has ever appeared on. If you can't play this, then I imagine Super Metroid must be even more disgustingly unplayable.

Top Bottom