• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going dead last is terrible though, because people are sick of it by that point, all the enthusiasm is gone, towards the half-way point or just after, that's where the real money's at.

More people in dead last won than in the center, iirc.
I remember reading an analysis about that a few years ago.

Spyware

Oo apparently there's some controversy about the Swedish singer having made anti-gay remarks previously. Sounds pretty opportunistic to sing at the Eurovision then.
Ah, seems this has not been cleared up completely yet.

Måns said things during a television show in a way that was easiest to interpret as homophobic, but he never meant it that way. He felt horrible about how it came out, apologized and has been forgiven by most people. He kisses guys, have hosted the swedish gay gala, participates in the pride parade and fully supports the LGBTQ community. He's also recently said that he could fall for a guy. Nothing "anti-gay" about him.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Listened to the Russian song and I'm convinced this is what's going to win.

It did sound like a winner's song at the first semi, and a performance near the end will amplify that and help with votes.

It's going to be between Sweden and Russia, and closer now than it was before the running order was announced.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I feel like this is actually the most open the competition has been in a while, it could go so many different ways depending on the atmosphere on the night.

Cyprus with the win out of nowhere

cjp

Genuinely catchy, upbeat songs always do well. Korea and Japan could do real nasty things to this competition and wake up some heads. I suggest invite one non-EU country every year.

So you're saying the UK has a chance?

Courage

If countries really wanted to get points from countries that usually don't budge, recruit a singer born there, have them visit the county during the press tour and bam, 8-12 points.

addik

Man, despite Russia and Sweden getting some really high odds, I honestly hope that Australia and Estonia win instead.

I love Sweden's song, but I don't know if I am ready to have Eurovision set in Sweden only after 3 years. However, it's bound to be well-produced if so.

Russia's song is good, and the staging is sublime, but I can't help but be bias against it.

I have always loved Australia's and Estonia's entry since the day they were revealed, so I'm hoping that they push through.

Interestingly, in a mock Eurovision voting I saw online, people actually voted Estonia and Sweden for a tie for first place.

If countries really wanted to get points from countries that usually don't budge, recruit a singer born there, have them visit the county during the press tour and bam, 8-12 points.

yep, this helped Greece in 2005 (Helena Paparizou raised in Sweden, gets 12 points from them) and Norway in 2009 (Alexander Rybak is Belarusian, gets points from all over eastern Europe etc)

doesn't hurt to have a good song with wide appeal, of course

Peru

yep, this helped Greece in 2005 (Helena Paparizou raised in Sweden, gets 12 points from them) and Norway in 2009 (Alexander Rybak is Belarusian, gets points from all over eastern Europe etc)

doesn't hurt to have a good song with wide appeal, of course

Don't think those are good examples since they got 12s from all over the place. Hard to say if their origin played any part. Doubt most people knew Rybak had Eastern European roots.

Courage

Don't think those are good examples since they got 12s from all over the place. Hard to say if their origin played any part. Doubt most people knew Rybak had Eastern European roots.
Nah, they do. I remember the Greek song topping charts in Sweden for a good amount of time as well.

oti

Banned
I feel like this is actually the most open the competition has been in a while, it could go so many different ways depending on the atmosphere on the night.

Cyprus with the win out of nowhere

Germany getting that stealth victory.

If Australia wins that is.

Nah, they do. I remember the Greek song topping charts in Sweden for a good amount of time as well.

Let's be real My Number One is the best Eurovision song of all time.

Germany getting that stealth victory.

If Australia wins that is.

I can already see the headlines in Bild and other German quality media if Australia wins and Germany fails really badly (which it likely will). "Now WE have to pay for this bullshit charade?"

And then they proceed to blame bloc and political voting, how everybody hates Germany but obviously Ann Sophie won the hearts of the Eurovision anyway, and then they say Australia only won cause they're a special guest. The German TV then will pressure the EBU to never bring any other guest countries in ever again or they're gonna cut the funding.

Let's be real My Number One is the best Eurovision of all time.

I disagree. It wasn't the best song that year, it wasn't even the best song Greece ever sent.

Courage

Aphrodisiac was definitely a bop but I can see why it didn't get love. La La Love was the song that truly got robbed that year.

oti

Banned
My favourite Greek entry is Sophia Vossou with I Anixi from 1991, despite the saxophonist fucking up really badly.
It's so good. The 90s generally were super strong for Greece imo.

Granted I like 80s/90s Eurovision cheese, so I might be biased there

Refrain is catchy but the rest is meh. I like Chora you fotos and Mando and Secret Combination and so on. This year Greece forgot it was Greece but the other regional finalists where train wrecks live.

https://youtu.be/0aKWP2vs26M

I'd be all for Bouzouki and Sirtaki for Eurovision.

Aphrodisiac was definitely a bop but I can see why it didn't get love. La La Love was the song that truly got robbed that year.

I think it even charted in China.

Man, I can't stop watching Portugal's performance. I think I've fallen in love with Leonor and her intense, passionate facial expressions which more than make up for her lack of vocal punch, I'd say. Also tried singing along the portuguese lyrics. Beautiful language.

Shame it didn't get through yesterday. Was pretty confident that it would. Oh well, rooting for Latvia, Estonia & Georgia now. Sweden's song doesn't do anything for me.

addik

Speaking of previous contestants, I have actually fallen in love with The Common Linnets (Dutch entry 2014) and I can never get sick of hearing Calm After The Storm. The staging/direction was also absolutely gorgeous, and I haven't seen any entry so far this year that beats that. I remember reading online that people didn't exactly The Common Linnets before they performed, but they trended big after the first semi-final.

I love Conchita and all, but a part of me is still bitter it didn't win last year. However, Conchita and The Common Linnets both got what they wanted out of the contest (the prior becoming a symbol of equality, while the latter ushering a sort of country phenomenon in Europe), so it was still a good ending for both of them.

Kjellson

This is the only thing I can think of when I hear the Israel song:

tumblr_ldmxki89cj1qza49co1_500.png

Ophiuchus

Banned
I think I won't be able to participate in discussions tonight.But still it will be fun to read afterward.So keep it up.

I think the winner will be either Russia or Australia.I personally like Russia's entry and I think Polina has such strong and great voice.

Also, the songs from the second semi-final are kind of boring (except Israel) but I think Montenegro could surprise us being in top 5.

The other runners up are Italy, Spain, Sweden and Estonia.

I know nothing about this Eurovision Song Contest, but we're hosting a party about it(?) (for it?) at our place tonight. I'm sure alcohol will clarify things.

I know nothing about this Eurovision Song Contest, but we're hosting a party about it(?) (for it?) at our place tonight. I'm sure alcohol will clarify things.

Ah, a resin for me to repost the drinking game rules I made up, that have proven to be quite awesome!

Btw: The Damon Bennet-Certified Eurovision Drinking-Game is something you need to do:

The rules:

- Meet up with some friends. Everyone will have 4 Countries associated with him.

---> 1 Country that the bookmakers think has a high chance of winning
---> 1 Country you like/think can win
---> 1 Country someone in your eurovision party assigns to you
---> The Country your eurovision party takes place in. If your country does not participate, chose one, which everyone in your party likes.

- For the show casually drink a ton of beer, to survive absurdity of the show

- You are probably already drunk from the high amounts of beer, but: Everytime one of your 3 countries scores 8 Points or higher -> Drink one shot. Make sure to bring enough schnaps!

- When the country you live in (or the one you chose for your party) scores 8 points or higher, EVERYONE will need to drink a shot.

- Once you are drunk enough, it will be even more fun to sing the chorus of the song over and over again, each time one of your countries scores 8 points or more.

There is no winner! Everyone is a winner, because everyone will be incredibly drunk and it will make eurovision a ton more enjoyable.

Warning: Make sure to not touch your phones, the temptation to actually vote a billion times for one of the contestants is incredibly high once drunk.

oti

Banned
I thought Germany was going to do ok-ish today but after seeing some feedback it almost seems as they'd end up in the bottom five.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like voting Australia is a big and important first step into making them officially part of Europe, so I'm voting Australia.

Well Australia is, for all intents and purposes, the most European non-European country anyway. They use inferior PAL, their accent is probably the closest to British English, they're still in the Commonwealth, and they love Eurovision too.

I'd totally be up for making Australia become not only a constant participant in Eurovision, but officially adopt it into Europe too.

oti

Banned
Well Australia is, for all intents and purposes, the most European non-European country anyway. They use inferior PAL, their accent is probably the closest to British English, they're still in the Commonwealth, and they love Eurovision too.

I'd totally be up for making Australia become not only a constant participant in Eurovision, but officially adopt it into Europe too.

After they ditch their Darth Vader prime minister.

Australia has an OK shot of winning the thing, too. It's nice when the pre-qualified countries have genuinely competitive entries; it makes the results a little less certain.

Buy lots of it, you will need it. Believe me.

After the first song I upgraded from beer to scotch immediately.

ESC is the best thing. It's also a little bit the worst thing, but its mostly the best thing.

If I was an epileptic, I'd be dead by now. I'm still on the fence.

Ah, a resin for me to repost the drinking game rules I made up, that have proven to be quite awesome!

Btw: The Damon Bennet-Certified Eurovision Drinking-Game is something you need to do:

The rules:

- Meet up with some friends. Everyone will have 4 Countries associated with him.

---> 1 Country that the bookmakers think has a high chance of winning
---> 1 Country you like/think can win
---> 1 Country someone in your eurovision party assigns to you
---> The Country your eurovision party takes place in. If your country does not participate, chose one, which everyone in your party likes.

- For the show casually drink a ton of beer, to survive absurdity of the show

- You are probably already drunk from the high amounts of beer, but: Everytime one of your 3 countries scores 8 Points or higher -> Drink one shot. Make sure to bring enough schnaps!

- When the country you live in (or the one you chose for your party) scores 8 points or higher, EVERYONE will need to drink a shot.

- Once you are drunk enough, it will be even more fun to sing the chorus of the song over and over again, each time one of your countries scores 8 points or more.

There is no winner! Everyone is a winner, because everyone will be incredibly drunk and it will make eurovision a ton more enjoyable.

Warning: Make sure to not touch your phones, the temptation to actually vote a billion times for one of the contestants is incredibly high once drunk.

I tried to introduce this game of yours, but everyone's too drunk to follow the rules. Success...?

After the first song I upgraded from beer to scotch immediately.

If I was an epileptic, I'd be dead by now. I'm still on the fence.

I tried to introduce this game of yours, but everyone's too drunk to follow the rules. Success...?

Sounds good. 😃

Its easier when you write down who has to drink when, then its easier to keep track.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Will they even air the final in Australia? Isn't that like in the early morning for those down under?

Will they even air the final in Australia? Isn't that like in the early morning for those down under?

Of course. Australia was chosen because of how much they follow Eurovision. During the semi-finals, the presenters said good morning to Australia multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom