• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrefpvs

It's not only neighbour countries that vote for each other, and the fact this is still being brought up is silly. This song you link in specific got 69 points. Spain could only give a max of 12. Where do you think those other 57 came from, thin air?

If neighbouring countries are the only factor, then why isn't Austria placing a lot better more often? They border 7 countries, but barely even make it through to the finals, let alone place in the upper half of the ranking. I'll tell you why: Because of the same reason Portugal places badly. And that's because they're often sending boring or outright bad stuff. Portuguese music taste seems to be completely different from that of other Europeans, and this is reflected in their bad performance in Eurovision.

You can't just blame everything on bloc voting. It's stupid. Western Europe still heavily dominates the contest, too.

Heh, you're right. Naturally, bloc voting isn't the only factor.

However, it IS a fact that, statistically, most of Portugal's votes come from Spain, Andorra, and countries with a high percentage of Portuguese immigrants (France and Switzerland). Whether this is because of political/geographical alliances or sharing similar music taste, that's up to debate.

Most of Portugal's songs are indeed shit. However, the song I linked won the Eurovision Marcel Bezençon press award that year, and still failed to make much of an impression in the final rankings. I thought that was interesting.

BTW, gotta give kudos to the Baltic countries. Estonia and Latvia are among my top 3, and I really like Lithuania (live performance being subpar aside).

Most of Portugal's songs are indeed shit. However, the song I linked won the Eurovision Marcel Bezençon press award that year, and still failed to make much of an impression in the final rankings. I thought that was interesting.

I dunno, 13 out of 26 is pretty good. It's right in the center. 2008 was incredibly strong overall, too. I don't feel like Portugal reaching 13th among that competition is a bad result.

I mean, a lot of my personal favourites got disqualified in the semi, including San Marino, which broke my heart, and looking at the 12 entries ahead of Portugal, there's only very few that I consider to be objectively worse than PT's.

Andrefpvs

I dunno, 13 out of 26 is pretty good. It's right in the center. 2008 was incredibly strong overall, too. I don't feel like Portugal reaching 13th among that competition is a bad result.

I mean, a lot of my personal favourites got disqualified in the semi, including San Marino, which broke my heart, and looking at the 12 entries ahead of Portugal, there's only very few that I consider to be objectively worse than PT's.

I was just listening to the 2008 playlist and yeah, you're right. Very strong year.

San Marino definitely deserved the finals too. It's one of those songs that in the first 5 seconds you know it's not going to be the same old stuff.

MrPanic

Late reaction to the show
, I'm bound to get in a fight if I turn on devices during the show :p

Very fun show. Started out very boring with the exact same type of music with no fun allowed, but after the gold shoes kid woke us up it turned into a very entertaining semi. My favorites this show were Slovenia, Sweden, Israel and Latvia and they all made it through so I'm pretty glad with results. The only winning songs I didn't like were Poland and Azerbaijan (though maybe that was caused by that distracting ballet). I think the Czech Republic deserved a bit more love as well.

Stop participating San Marino, ffs.

Can't wait till Saturday, good stuff.

Peru

Random shower thoughts:

Would a quirky J-pop song win the Eurovision? :p

Genuinely catchy, upbeat songs always do well. Korea and Japan could do real nasty things to this competition and wake up some heads. I suggest invite one non-EU country every year.

Random shower thoughts:

Would a quirky J-pop song win the Eurovision? :p

Sweden tried.

Too bad it's a crap song. It would definitely work. There's been bubbly quirky things in the past.

I want Korea to send a girlgroup or boygroup and ignite a wave of similar styled bands, not just One Direction copies over here in Europe. One of my fave k-pop songs is Swedish produced, and I always envisioned it as my ideal potential Eurovision entry.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
...slovenia's has grown on me even more in just the last 2 recaps, what the hell

I am from Slovenia and I can't stand it, because I know author and performer all too well and he is the biggest (insert certain word) around.

How?

He used to date with my sister.

Pickman

It's ridiculous that the United States doesn't get representation in this song competition. We've got enormous star power and could really build some excellent music on the theme of The American Dream®.

I am from Slovenia and I can't stand it, because I know author and performer all too well and he is the biggest (insert certain word) around.

How?

He used to date with my sister.

Everyone knows everyone in slovenia? It takes like 15 min to pass through the whole country.

Stop participating San Marino, ffs.

Go away. San Marino's my baby. And most of their entries are actually pretty decent (if boring), with 2008's debut being fantastic, and 2012's being hilariously kitsch. It's just this year that was outright bad.

Just came back from the Splatoon event. What did I miss?

I put the live performances in the OP.
Highlights:
San Marino
Israel
Latvia
Azerbaijan
Sweden

Bonus point if you watch Iceland because of Hera Björk as background singer.

oti

Banned
Go away. San Marino's my baby.

I put the live performances in the OP.
Highlights:
San Marino
Israel
Latvia
Azerbaijan
Sweden

Bonus point if you watch Iceland because of Hera Björk as background singer.

Thank you! Hera is the Je ne sais qoui goddess, right?

I missed a few performances earlier, I just watched San Marino. It's almost adorable how off-tune they are, but I love the song in a way. Maybe because it just reminds me of Valentina Monetta, the singer that represented San Marino the past 3 years. I love her so much. Her songs were always my fave. This song is by the same producer, probably the only one they have in San Marino? Hehe.

Maybe the guy can come back next year with a better song. He could be styled into an Eric Saade.

Thank you! Hera is the Je ne sais qoui goddess, right?

Yes Siree.

I missed a few performances earlier, I just watched San Marino. It's almost adorable how off-tune they are, but I love the song in a way. Maybe because it just reminds me of Valentina Monetta, the singer that represented San Marino the past 3 years. I love her so much. Her songs were always my fave.

Maybe the guy can come back next year with a better song. He could be styled into an Eric Saade.

Yeah. I never found any of San Marino's entries offensive, and this year's studio version is alright, even if it's not great. Miodio and Senit were absolutely awesome though.

That said, I used to live in San Marino, so I have a little bit of bias towards it.

Spyware

Sweden aaaalmost sent a J-poprock artist in 2013. He didn't have a "J-sounding" song tho, just the look. He competed in Melodifestivalen twice, both times with a pretty cool look and ooooh so boring songs. He won the televotes in 2013 but the jury didn't like him so he didn't win anyway. Can't link atm but search YT for "Yohio Melodifestivalen" if you're curious.

oti

Banned
Chezh Republic got robbed.
Poland?
Israel was great.
Montenegro is awesome.
Latvia should win.
Cyprus? (Thankd for the 12 points Cypbros.)

One of my fave k-pop songs is Swedish produced, and I always envisioned it as my ideal potential Eurovision entry.

You're good people. I think some of the K-pop might be too out there and cutesy to win Eurovision, but you never know. They would probably sing in English though and from what I know about K-pop singers, that is almost never a good thing.

I overslept and had to watch the replay of tonight's semi-final. I am really glad that Lithuania and Cyprus got through, I was worried about them. Really bummed about Malta and Iceland. They definitely should of went through over Israel, Latvia, and Poland.

Tash

Ah well, I really liked the Swiss song for one. Good Singer and she wrote the song herself which I think is a pretty cool fact.

Now I can vote for Norway (because Swiss) and Sweden (because hot guy, cool show and good song) and Slovenia (because voting for crazy is the most fun part).

spekkeh

Banned
Oo apparently there's some controversy about the Swedish singer having made anti-gay remarks previously. Sounds pretty opportunistic to sing at the Eurovision then.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Interesting that odds are getting worse for Slovenian entry after such 'stellar' reception yesterday. Belgium made a huge step up on betting charts today and Russia is slowly creeping towards top spot

I really want to watch this year, my gf has no idea what Eurovision is but we're in Tokyo and it might be hard to convince her to stay awake all night for crazy songs and crazier dancing...

Joni

Interesting that odds are getting worse for Slovenian entry after such 'stellar' reception yesterday. Belgium made a huge step up on betting charts today and Russia is slowly creeping towards top spot

I hope Belgium doesn't have to pay to host next year, although I'd try to go then maybe.
As for Russia, too bad the twins of last years aren't doing this year then. They deserved better.

Haven't been keeping up too much this year. Any good outsiders to bet on?

) am betting on Slovenia(If she impproves her live perofrmance that song will do really well), Estonia and Israel.

I am pretty sure that Sweden won't win just because they are the favorite. And Russia won't win because of politifcal reasons.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Sweden is probably going to be runaway winner because of the staging. Russia looking like the best chance of stopping them.

Belgium is the best outsider bet, with Latvia as rank-outsider. Both have moved up a lot following the semis. Latvia has the best song but realistically too weird to win.

Running order:

Slovenia
France
Israel
Estonia
United Kingdom
Armenia
Lithuania
Serbia
Norway
Sweden
Cyprus
Australia
Belgium
Austria
Greece
Montenegro
Germany
Poland
Latvia
Romania
Spain
Hungary
Georgia
Azerbaijan
Russia
Albania
Italy

Russia and Italy are helped a lot by this, Slovenia is fucked.

UK on course for a possible nil pois which is exciting, maybe bet on that if you can :)

Tregard

Soothsayer

Australia I'd say

Running order:

Slovenia
France
Israel
Estonia
United Kingdom
Armenia
Lithuania
Serbia
Norway
Sweden
Cyprus
Australia
Belgium
Austria
Greece
Montenegro
Germany
Poland
Latvia
Romania
Spain
Hungary
Georgia
Azerbaijan
Russia
Albania
Italy

Some key good/bad slots. Italy closing the show doesn't bode well for them, could go either way, but likely most people will have tuned out by the end. Same goes for Russia.

Australia and Sweden have very nice slots just before half-way, Sweden have still peaked to early I'd say, but Australia could do very well.

Sucks to be Estonia, great song but on too early. Also Slovenia basically cannot win from first song position. UK have been given a terrible slot, dreading the score now.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Australia I'd say

Some key good/bad slots. Italy closing the show doesn't bode well for them, could go either way, but likely most people will have tuned out by the end. Same goes for Russia.

Australia and Sweden have very nice slots just before half-way, Sweden have still peaked to early I'd say, but Australia could do very well.

Sucks to be Estonia, great song but on too early. Also Slovenia basically cannot win from first song position. UK have been given a terrible slot, dreading the score now.

I think Russia benefits a lot, the song is strong enough that it suits a near the end performance. Italy less so because it will be overshadowed.

They both gain from being away from Sweden though, and more in the memory when voting opens.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I think Russia benefits a lot, the song is strong enough that it suits a near the end performance. Italy less so because it will be overshadowed.

They both gain from being away from Sweden though, and more in the memory when voting opens.

You want to follow one ballad, rather than a few though. In my opinion too many of the less ballad-y songs are at the top of the bill (Israel, Estonia, UK) and should be dispersed a bit more.

Russia could do very well though, come to think of it, especially following the dross of Azerbaijan.

Actually, the later spots generally tend to do better in the voting than the early spots, mostly because they're still in the memory of people when the voting starts.

Also, OP is updated.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Actually, the later spots generally tend to do better in the voting than the early spots, mostly because they're still in the memory of people when the voting starts.

Also, OP is updated.

Going dead last is terrible though, because people are sick of it by that point, all the enthusiasm is gone, towards the half-way point or just after, that's where the real money's at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom