• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

Zeppelin

So, today I decided to look into the courier contracts business. Since I only have an Iteron and not much cash I wasn't able to make much money out of it. I was however able to land a contract with 5M collateral and 10M profit. The stuff I was hauling was worth 50M, so I guess the guy who made the contract forgot a zero or something. Had I been a lesser person, I guess I could have kept the stuff for myself instead?

Anyway, after a while I decided to get into speculative hauling instead. Using the rather awesome site EVE-Central I decided to pour all my hard earned ISK (~40M) into buying 5 BPOs and ship them over to Jita (15 jumps or so) for a potential profit of 5M. By the time I got there the trade order was gone and now I'm basically bankrupt. I still put them up for sale in Jita, so hopefully I'll get my money back sooner or later... but it still sucks. :(

By the way, the trade order was for 16 BPOs. Why would anyone want that many? Doesn't a BPO last forever? Why are these things still in demand? Wouldn't most industrialists have most BPOs by now?

Cross-region trading is risky business.

If a deal looks too good, it's almost certainly going to be a margin-trading scam.

If it's not that, you can still be beaten to the punch by someone quicker than you. Eve-Central's data isn't exactly minute-to-minute. On top of that it's public so anything you see everyone else can too.

As a newer player it can definitely be enticing, and I did make some decent profit on it at one point, but I don't really bother now for those reasons. Especially since I can always grind level 4 security missions for reliable income if I need to.

Wiseblade

Yeah, putting all your money into speculative trading is a terrible idea, in real life or in EVE. If you really want to make money as a courier, your best bet is work yourself to a freighter ASAP. Then you can complete multiple contracts in a single haul to maximise efficiency.

I don't think keeping the stuff would have been that good an idea. You'd lose the collateral, have to sell off the stuff you kept and deal with a guy probably dropping a bounty on you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, putting all your money into speculative trading is a terrible idea, in real life or in EVE. If you really want to make money as a courier, your best bet is work yourself to a freighter ASAP. Then you can complete multiple contracts in a single haul to maximise efficiency.

I don't think keeping the stuff would have been that good an idea. You'd lose the collateral, have to sell off the stuff you kept and deal with a guy probably dropping a bounty on you.

Could have used an alt.

Zeppelin

Yes, of course it was a dumb thing to do. But it was also kind of thrilling having your life savings in the back and rushing for Jita. YOLO.

I might go for a freighter at some point... But right now I feel what's stopping me from making money of courier contracts is not being able to afford the collateral on the contracts that has a decent ISK/jump.

Some random dude put a 100k bounty on my head for no reason. I was just docking at a station. :(

I always put 100k on anyone typing in Russian in local. =)

Funnily enough I was looking at my skills the other day and apparently I could get into a freighter in something like 20 days? Much less that I would have figured anyway.

A bit out of my price range in terms of what I'd be comfortable flying with my current net worth what it is, but interesting nonetheless. At least about a third of my net worth is tied up in assets that I'm not doing anything with currently, but I'd rather ignore that and just focus on my liquid ISK. Haven't actually earned any income in at least about a month though, as I've mostly just been updating my skill queue and waiting for Odyssey before committing.

Funnily enough I was looking at my skills the other day and apparently I could get into a freighter in something like 20 days? Much less that I would have figured anyway.

A bit out of my price range in terms of what I'd be comfortable flying with my current net worth what it is, but interesting nonetheless. At least about a third of my net worth is tied up in assets that I'm not doing anything with currently, but I'd rather ignore that and just focus on my liquid ISK. Haven't actually earned any income in at least about a month though, as I've mostly just been updating my skill queue and waiting for Odyssey before committing.

i have enough assets for 1 plex. but the logistics of selling all that crap makes my ass sweat.

eot

Banned

They're changing the prereqs for Freighters along with everything else in Odessey so it might increase. I think you'll need adv. spaceship command V after the patch.

another good money is to equip yourself with a frigate to do scanning, try to find a lvl4 wormhole, and then sell it to people.

Can make hundreds of millions of isk this way

it should telll you once u find one and explore it. careful though. wormhole is null-space . might want to put on a cloaking device.

or do some research before trying t o do it

heytred

Neo Member
Got podded by some dude camping an objective during the Sister of Eve Epic Arc... preying on new players like a champ.

So yeah I guess there are freighter changes coming that adds ~week to training them. You'll need advanced spaceship command V rather than 1, but to offset that, you only need the respective race's industrial III, rather than V.

If I'd have known in time, maybe I would have done it, but honestly I didn't really have any plans to fly a freighter anyway. If I ever need large amounts of stuff shipped that I can't handle myself, I can just pay one of the freight corps.

Advanced Spaceship command is useful anyway if you're getting into larger/capital ships, which hasn't been on my radar either.

At the moment I'm just bringing my gunnery skills up to par so I can fly ships that use them, at least with T4 guns, at a reasonable level. Will probably train into Minmatar Battleships as a possible branch into incursions if the new exploration isn't fun and/or profitable enough.

Otherwise I could fall back on daytripping wormholes, but I've felt dissuaded from doing that since it feels like it takes so much prep and requires you to sit down and commit for at least a 3 hour session to make it worthwhile.

Server is up, but Jita currently too clogged to login to.

Probably be fine in a couple hours though. Just means I can't update my queue immediately (without being moved to another system).

so did we get the update all I know is everything was down this morning when I tried to log on now there are like 40K+ people online

did OD come out?

We will be looking at ways to compensate players in both EVE and DUST for the outage and expect to announce what that compensation will be very soon.

goody!

someone DDOS' the servers for a day.

update comes out tomorrow.

I was away this weekend but all my alts were running 4-8 day skills but still logged in to find one of them was finished early :(

can't wait for the compensation

Atomski

Tried to new hacking mini game.. had not an idea of wtf I am supposed to do though so failed twice pretty quick...

Zeppelin

Anyone know of a tool that lets you calculate whether refining is better to you over just selling the ore? I've got 95% net yield at a station, but some quick calculations led me to believe that selling the ore straight would net me more cash. At least at that particular station.

apparently there is a new CCP_Mintchip who used to post nudes on cam and get free stuff ingame just for being a woman. who got naked. and asked for stuff on amazon wishlist. that 95% demographic !

Wiseblade

apparently there is a new CCP_Mintchip who used to post nudes on cam and get free stuff ingame just for being a woman. who got naked. and asked for stuff on amazon wishlist. that 95% demographic !

I have no idea who she is, but the announcement thread on the EVE forums is delivering the laughs.

I am really loving the jump animations added to gates, and even the simple 'fade from black' when undocking seems to just make the experience more immersive.

Top Bottom