• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder if Goons are going to take this chance to renew their offensive.

you know, our 2nd in command recently stole 11b 3 days ago from the corp and then dipped. some said he was an alt for either TEST or goons.

The fact it was so out of left field and he stole what amounts to a relatively small amount means that whomever he was working for forced his hand and needed those funds NOW!

pulsemyne

you know, our 2nd in command recently stole 11b 3 days ago from the corp and then dipped. some said he was an alt for either TEST or goons.

The fact it was so out of left field and he stole what amounts to a relatively small amount means that whomever he was working for forced his hand and needed those funds NOW!

It wouldn't surprise me if it was TEST in that case as they are very short on funds. To be honest though I've seen it done before so that someone just goes and buys a super cap and joins some big super cap corp.
11 billion is bugger all though. Hardly worth all the effort.

Random tidbit I learned recently that some people may find useful (easy to overlook):

Electronic Warfare Drone Interfacing increased the control range of ALL drones by 3km per level. So it's useful even if you don't plan to use EWAR drones that much.

In other news, I finished Launcher Rigging IV, which gives me access to the T2 rigs there, besides possibly making some otherwise impossible fits possible, albeit very tight.

Blitzing some L3 missions for Caldari Navy at the moment. Found a nice station that has 3 L3 agents in it. Why Caldari Navy? Because it's one of the few corps in the faction that has more than 1 L4 agent in the same station.

Mostly just for something to do while I wait for a few skills to train. Jumping to a fresh clone each time for exploration is tiresome and delays training, even if it makes more money.

Random tidbit I learned recently that some people may find useful (easy to overlook):

Electronic Warfare Drone Interfacing increased the control range of ALL drones by 3km per level. So it's useful even if you don't plan to use EWAR drones that much.

In other news, I finished Launcher Rigging IV, which gives me access to the T2 rigs there, besides possibly making some otherwise impossible fits possible, albeit very tight.

Blitzing some L3 missions for Caldari Navy at the moment. Found a nice station that has 3 L3 agents in it. Why Caldari Navy? Because it's one of the few corps in the faction that has more than 1 L4 agent in the same station.

Mostly just for something to do while I wait for a few skills to train. Jumping to a fresh clone each time for exploration is tiresome and delays training, even if it makes more money.

huh, that's a nice tidbit. that is rather helpful cause it means i can eliminate drone link augmentor from my raven and add a neut or cap drain in it! now that wep upgrades V is done it means i have the power grid/cpu for it!

Who was your second in command?

Anyone know if you need T2 guns to Catalyst gank or if it's just recommended. The train is maybe only 3-4 days, but still, that's 3-4 days of not training something else.

Ryan_

Though, I don't understand half of what you guys say, it makes me wanna play this game again haha.
I started once, a long time ago, but quickly gave up since I was all alone and I was, I don't know, 16 or something. All seemed a bit daunting. But it must be an amazing experience.

pulsemyne

We nearly had over 100 capital ship kills in our grasp in tonight's battle. Nearly 2000 people were in system and TEST was losing ships hand over fist. Then CCP decided to "Reconfigure the node" and thus the majority of TEST's entire capital fleet is saved. We managed to chew through 30 carriers and an entire battleship fleet before that though so it's still a nasty welp for TEST.

pulsemyne

The latest is that a CCP engineer accidentally removed all objects from the node while trying to help clear up lag in the fight. Pretty big fuck up considering this could have been the biggest battle in EVE history.

The server didn't intentionally go down. The system process was accidentally moved to another server rather than the non-critical other processes.

Though, I don't understand half of what you guys say, it makes me wanna play this game again haha.
I started once, a long time ago, but quickly gave up since I was all alone and I was, I don't know, 16 or something. All seemed a bit daunting. But it must be an amazing experience.

it has its moments. but that all depends if you have someone talking to you. my corp has been in the war and 30 jumps away from me, so i been sorta solo running missions and it's kinda lonely.

i've been logging in, run a cpl of lv4 missions, then just log off and do something else.

I want to join them cause i have fun welping in fleets, BUT whenever i join the main corp i tend to lose funds HELLA FAST! Like seriously. I mean yeah i get 60% of isk back when i die, but i go through isk like water. i usually fly frigates and cheap destroyes, but that shit adds up son. specially with my low skill level.

and i enjoy it. i really do. I mean whats the point of isk if you're not going to spend it? In a way though my concern for spending isk/blowing up in ships i can afford is that it starts to turn into http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse

I have drakes and Nagas and big stuff that i want to fly without concern. But in order to get to that poitn, i HAVE to amass a massive amount of isk/resources. and until i can do that so i can burn it all in a glorious flame...its tough to justify flying with the main fleet. even tho im missing out...

Ryan_

it has its moments. but that all depends if you have someone talking to you. my corp has been in the war and 30 jumps away from me, so i been sorta solo running missions and it's kinda lonely.

i've been logging in, run a cpl of lv4 missions, then just log off and do something else.

I want to join them cause i have fun welping in fleets, BUT whenever i join the main corp i tend to lose funds HELLA FAST! Like seriously. I mean yeah i get 60% of isk back when i die, but i go through isk like water. i usually fly frigates and cheap destroyes, but that shit adds up son. specially with my low skill level.

and i enjoy it. i really do. I mean whats the point of isk if you're not going to spend it? In a way though my concern for spending isk/blowing up in ships i can afford is that it starts to turn into http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse

I have drakes and Nagas and big stuff that i want to fly without concern. But in order to get to that poitn, i HAVE to amass a massive amount of isk/resources. and until i can do that so i can burn it all in a glorious flame...its tough to justify flying with the main fleet. even tho im missing out...

Damn thanks for that bit of insight man. I may have had a bit of a romanticized image of the whole experience. So you do need shitloads of ISK to be able to run with the big guys? And besides that, there's little left to do, or you have to do it solo? Hm, okey.
It is a shame that there are no comparable experiences of games out there. I would love to get my hands on a space game like EVE again.

Damn thanks for that bit of insight man. I may have had a bit of a romanticized image of the whole experience. So you do need shitloads of ISK to be able to run with the big guys? And besides that, there's little left to do, or you have to do it solo? Hm, okey.
It is a shame that there are no comparable experiences of games out there. I would love to get my hands on a space game like EVE again.

well my corp is an open door corp, anyone can join, we also do not discriminate if you want to bring a newbie ship into a fleet for a run, but just expect to die 99.99% of the time. for lulz of course.

this is just my personal feelings, it doesnt dictate the overall game. I have friends who are nothing but haulers, making massive amounts of isk delivering items back and for for people. right now we opened up a stealth bombers fleet and those are very succesful and lots of people seem to consider it the most fun aspect of our fleets.

what i described was my own experiences, since i tend to be more conservative in a very pvp centric corp. my problem was that i kept bringing cruisers with frigate fleets, and battlecruisers for the hell of it. this was just my own personal dumb decisions of "flying what i cant afford to lose". so dont let my lapse in judgement affect your view, try it again and see if you can find your niche within. we can certainly help by guiding you as much as we can.

it's a very unique game and i can say i have played lots and lots of MMOs and all have the same sort of hubris in the meta, but this game is unlike any other. whether thats a good or a bad thing all depends on how you make use of your time. So what im doing now is playing the skills leveling game, because I WANT TO RUN INTO BATTLE WITH EXPENSIVE SHIPS. THATS FUN! You can still have fun with the frigates, in fact, most vets reccommend them since they are still adrenaline inducing and cost few when lost.

What race did you pick? what weapons did you pick? did u play for long or can you restart with the new invite-buddy system.

If I want to do fun things, I can't be in my valuable pod. But if I'm not in my valuable pod, training is significantly slower.

:/

And it's not even close to being one of those crazy pod killmails you'll see with billions worth of implants. Can't go doing any frigate PvP in a pod worth at least several times the ship.

I should probably think more seriously about moving soon. If my attempt at incursions is a bust (i.e. don't get picked up) within the next week or two, I'll definitely be on the verge. Especially since a new *cheap* battleship for them will still run about 250-300mil. I mean you could sell it after the fact and recoup some costs, but that would still probably result in some decent losses. And I'd prefer not to sell ships I've bought in order to fund myself if I don't have to.

Haly

Just jump to a new clone if you want to go around shooting stuff in a Frigate.

Just jump to a new clone if you want to go around shooting stuff in a Frigate.

Yeah but then you have to wait for the jump clone cooldown to get back and it feels like such a commitment. Especially since I've been training a bunch of medium-length skills where it tends to have more of an effect than a long skill (which you can fire and forget) or short skills (which you'll be micromanaging anyway.) Sort of an uncomfortable middle ground.

Haly

I used to be like that and I'd run around getting my pod blown up with all my Standard/Improved implants. One day I decided to think of it like this: If you're not using your skills to have fun why are you training them up in the first place?

I used to be like that and I'd run around getting my pod blown up with all my Standard/Improved implants. One day I decided to think of it like this: If you're not using your skills to have fun why are you training them up in the first place?

This.

If you're really concerned about training, plug some +1s into your combat clone and recoup a little bit of that training.

you're damn right! you know what? i have 2 gnosis sitting pretty in a station. WHY THE HECK? Time to fly those puppies!

Ryan_

well my corp is an open door corp, anyone can join, we also do not discriminate if you want to bring a newbie ship into a fleet for a run, but just expect to die 99.99% of the time. for lulz of course.

this is just my personal feelings, it doesnt dictate the overall game. I have friends who are nothing but haulers, making massive amounts of isk delivering items back and for for people. right now we opened up a stealth bombers fleet and those are very succesful and lots of people seem to consider it the most fun aspect of our fleets.

what i described was my own experiences, since i tend to be more conservative in a very pvp centric corp. my problem was that i kept bringing cruisers with frigate fleets, and battlecruisers for the hell of it. this was just my own personal dumb decisions of "flying what i cant afford to lose". so dont let my lapse in judgement affect your view, try it again and see if you can find your niche within. we can certainly help by guiding you as much as we can.

it's a very unique game and i can say i have played lots and lots of MMOs and all have the same sort of hubris in the meta, but this game is unlike any other. whether thats a good or a bad thing all depends on how you make use of your time. So what im doing now is playing the skills leveling game, because I WANT TO RUN INTO BATTLE WITH EXPENSIVE SHIPS. THATS FUN! You can still have fun with the frigates, in fact, most vets reccommend them since they are still adrenaline inducing and cost few when lost.

What race did you pick? what weapons did you pick? did u play for long or can you restart with the new invite-buddy system.

Wow, thanks again for the help/insight.
Euhm, I played Galanthean but for the life of me, I wouldn't know my login anymore.
It's been years since I last played so yeah. And I didn't play long, maybe a week or two?
it wasn't boring but it all felt a bit daunting and hard to push through. Maybe I'll check the game out once more and give you a PM.
But thanks again for a very sincere and honest opinion.

So I threw caution to the wind and went on a solo PvP roam in low after buying and fitting 3 identical Thrashers. Hunted through a few systems without finding anything, but eventually I get a decent hit on D-Scan.

Find this guy fighting a couple rats in an asteroid field and well:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=18600313

:D

First kill, also a solo (well, I guess not if you include the rats, but I don't think anyone does.) Didn't drop much, but his ship was worth almost 4x mine, so a definite win.

He had a corpmate buddy warp in a Tengu almost immediately after being popped, but I managed to evade him. First by warping to the sun where he caught up with me quickly, but then I jumped around creating different safe spots and lost him.

Conveniently the ship I popped dropped a salvager, which I didn't bring with me, so I docked at a station and fit it, going out after my aggression timer dropped since the ship was T2. Got some T2 salvage out of it, but it wasn't worth very much.

I may have to do more of this, though this first kill was pretty easy. I'm sure many people would put up a better fight.

Haly

And now you are having the fun, yay!

I was part of a night time roam around Venal and Branch and it wasn't very eventful. We found one Iteron V that turned out to be bait (Cyno/Scramming + tank), but he never dropped his Cyno before we killed him. Then on our way back, we ran into a Sin and managed to decloak him on a gate. Totally justified my bringing my Dual Web Myrm (which is slow as molasses).

http://kb.eve-401k.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=18596434

And now you are having the fun, yay!

I might see if I can bait a mining barge to attack me in a 0.5 system next.

Another option might be to take my Cov Ops out to low-sec and scan down any signatures, then switch back to my Thrasher and lie in wait for a (hopefully juicy) exploration frigate to warp in, whether a T1 or a Cov Ops.

Zeppelin

Had my first real fleet battle a couple of days ago. We had a guest FC from SniggWaffe taking us down into null-sec. We ran into TEST down there and got a pretty good fight out of it. I think they came out with a slight ISK advantage in the end, but it was all great fun. I think I'll pretty much focus solely on PvP from here on.

Well I stopped at a school today and grabbed Bomb Launcher operation, so you never know when I'll emerge from the shadows in a Purifier ready to blow you up.

amarr bombers?

what-the-fuck-tom-delonge-gif.gif

arg still debating if i should go minmatar/large projectiles (like that alpha!), or gallente/hybrids (hybrids woo! but...so weak! and cap!).

i drained my blink luck with those 3 promo wins and havent won jack didly for past week. i mean im losing even the most basic of basic blinks and only win like once out of every 10+ blinks.

im actually almost reaching 50-50 deposit-win and im only playing the 2m blinks.

i'm close to 1B isk ingame, about 400m from loot doign lvl 4 missions. im still throwing the random isk to blink in the hopes i win a machariel/vindicator, but thats just the ship alone. Not even counting the mods, which i plan on using named since my skills sux.

I had 1B isk once. I think that was back when I did some wormhole daytripping in a Drake and (luckily) only got blown up a couple times. Then I bought a PLEX at that point and haven't crossed that line since. May have been aided by a few lucky deadspace drops from combat exploration as well (I know I had an escalation that went to null once which I successfully ran and made it back to high-sec alive) Been between ~400mil to 800mil lately.

Drakes are about 35%-40% more expensive now than they used to be (not to mention less efficient with various nerfs.) And daytripping WHs really is a time-consuming and stressful practice with decently high risk, even if the rewards are good. Not counting time probing and scouting (which in itself may take a few hours), you're really going to want to sit down and actually spend 2-3 hours minimum for it to be worth your time.

Right now, easily the best source of ISK I have available to me is null-sec exploration (via wormhole tunneling) in my Covert Ops. High reward, relatively minimal risk. They're hard to catch, and even if you do lose a ship, the loss is only ~20-30mil tops, not including any new loot you're carrying (which you can't truly count until it's sold anyway). Compared to what you'll be earning, that's peanuts. You'd pretty much have to die once an hour or more. I've had a couple close scrapes, but haven't lost an Anathema yet, even with a backup one ready to go.

Hell, even a newbie in a T1 exploration frigate has a decent chance of making it to null and back with millions worth of loot. Much higher chance of death, but when your ship is maybe 2mil at most? You could say someone is getting by with 10,000% returns.

i STILL havent touched the explo stuff

You should checkout the tutorial at least to see if you like the process. It's a lot better than it used to be, but still quite different than anything else in the game.

The rush of getting some juicy loot is great though, and this is even skipping the combat sites which will more reliably have those extremely *big* drops (which albeit, are still rare.) Most of the time with just the hacking/archeology sites, you'll be building up stacks of data discs or T2 salvage which might be worth a few million to low double digits each.

You can move probes individually, but it's no longer the default after Odyssey. Have to press shift or alt (don't remember which) to do so.

With maxed Astrometrics and 8 probes out at once though, I've never needed to adjust a single probe since the expansion to get a lock. If I've moved one by itself, it's been an accident. The default probe configurations are very convenient. Would probably only need to do so on the weakest of signatures that are nigh un-probable in the the first place.

Will definitely have to find my Blink login now. Seems everyone that had registered before this celebration gets a free gift of some sort.

You can move probes individually, but it's no longer the default after Odyssey. Have to press shift or alt (don't remember which) to do so.

With maxed Astrometrics and 8 probes out at once though, I've never needed to adjust a single probe since the expansion to get a lock. If I've moved one by itself, it's been an accident. The default probe configurations are very convenient. Would probably only need to do so on the weakest of signatures that are nigh un-probable in the the first place.

Will definitely have to find my Blink login now. Seems everyone that had registered before this celebration gets a free gift of some sort.

you can get them to reset your password in their channel.

if i dont see any sites with 0% as soon as i come into a system that means i dont need to scan that system down right?

Haly

Yes, although sometimes the on-board scanner UI is bugged and you should check/uncheck "Show Anomalies" to reload them.

Haly

It means you already unlocked it, did it turn from a filled diamond to an empty one?

Did you collect the little things that spilled out after you completed the puzzle?

nope nothing. it wont give me the option to open when i rigght click it either

EDIT: Found a 6/10. not gonna mess with that :C

Haly

Well they're not a can in the normal sense. You don't open them and click loot all like you would a normal can. When you complete the grid thing, little "spew cans" are ejected and you have to click them to tractor them in (the tractor is built into your ship). You only have a set time to collect all the spew cans before they disappear.

Have you looked up how exploration actually works? It's a pretty involved system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U6fcofkWzCc#t=168s

Top Bottom