• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sounds terrible.

*goes back to station trading*

Well they're not a can in the normal sense. You don't open them and click loot all like you would a normal can. When you complete the grid thing, little "spew cans" are ejected and you have to click them to tractor them in (the tractor is built into your ship). You only have a set time to collect all the spew cans before they disappear.

Have you looked up how exploration actually works? It's a pretty involved system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U6fcofkWzCc#t=168s

thx! that helped a lot! i have finally experienced my first disappointing relic site loot run!

EDIT: So wormhole relic/data sites have sleepers in them. Groovy :/

eot

Banned
http://themittani.com/news/ten-pl-supercarriers-ambushed-revenant-down

Pretty crazy.

Not-spai joined PL. Gained a reputation as a competent FC. Decide to go turncoat one day and formed a plan with some guys to kill a carrier fleet. And then sends a fleet that included one of the rarest ships in EVE into a trap.

Bah, the last thing I did in EVE was stay up to 4am for the previous failed attempt at that. Wish I could've been there. And yeah, the Grath rage was epic.

Welp. Decided to do some wormhole day-tripping since I couldn't find a convenient path to null from one. Had to buy a new Drake to do so since I think my only other one was way off in Minmatar space with who knows what fittings. So that cost me about 100mil for hull + fittings + insurance. Doing a site I had probed out earlier, checking D-scan and I get a blip of a Hound. Very lucky that I did and high-tailed it out there after after that. May have been safe until I saw probes, but not worth the risk.

So the downside is that I didn't make any money, but the plus is that I didn't "lose" anything either. Not sure what I'm gonna do with this Drake now. I don't really need it for anything in high-sec. Guess I'll just sit on it as an asset, but I'm gonna need to make some good ISK in the next few days if I want to be able to afford a battleship for incursions.

I got like 3 drakes in random stations that i had to abandon because of too far from spawn, war targets, or hostile environment during mission/wh with corp mates.

EDIT:

they are buffing medium Hybrids. I heard they were completely suck-ass and not worth the isk. but with the buff, this means i can bring out a ferox for lv 3 missions instead of drake. I'd rather have the shooting speed of Mediums over heavy missiles.

EDIT2:

nice Haul today exploring in high and low sec. made out with about 80m. which i promptly lost in a gatecamp by losing my drake. so ended the 3 hour exploration run with a -9M isk efficiency. woopie.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is this game available on OSX? I see the starter pack is on sale on Steam but it's Windows only.

Is this game available on OSX? I see the starter pack is on sale on Steam but it's Windows only.

Yes, I don't know why it's like that. Maybe since they revamped their Steam version recently (adding subscription and login integration via Steam.) I wouldn't buy it off the Steam store unless you absolutely feel compelled to have a Steam copy. The game runs it's own launcher anyway. Also you should note that there have been better deals elsewhere recently than the lowest Steam will go ($5). Don't pay more than that for a CD key/starter pack as they're that price or lower every other month it seems.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yes, I don't know why it's like that. Maybe since they revamped their Steam version recently (adding subscription and login integration via Steam.) I wouldn't buy it off the Steam store unless you absolutely feel compelled to have a Steam copy. The game runs it's own launcher anyway. Also you should note that there have been better deals elsewhere recently than the lowest Steam will go ($5). Don't pay more than that for a CD key/starter pack as they're that price or lower every other month it seems.
Thanks! For $5, I'm happy to give this game a shot, even if it's not ultimately for me.

Thanks! For $5, I'm happy to give this game a shot, even if it's not ultimately for me.

Yeah and if you do grab a CD key, make sure to snag a 21-day buddy trial invite before activating it since you get 51 days worth of game time then.

Edit: Also updated the splash image in the OP (finally!) to the Odyssey one. May slowly flesh out the OP more with various links since there's been some renewed interest after the Revenant kill.

Bboy AJ

Do you have another invite? Send it my way, if so. Thanks!

Bboy AJ

This game runs like shit on my 2011 11" MacBook Air. Everything is on the lowest settings :/

I'll hold off. Again. Those new Mac Pros aren't coming out until later this year. I may get one just because. I don't even game on PCs.

station trading? I stopped doing lv 4 missions because i think i hit a plateau in terms of missile skills and i dont want to grind so long.

i have a bad habit of killing everythign and then sweeping everythnig up for money. not very time efficient. Im liking exploration since it provides variety, but im not in a stealth and i already came out negative on a gatecamp.

Finished Minnie Battleship IV. Just a couple more days for some various skills I didn't have (repair drones and shield rigging IV) and I should be good to go with an introductory hull for incursions. Could sit for another week for Rapid Firing V though. I do probably need to make a couple million ISK to be stable if I'm investing in a new battleship and things don't work out with incursions. Particularly if I have a T2 rig or two on it that I can't easily recover the money from if I need to flip the hull.

I will be out of town for about a week starting next Thursday, so I'll have to find a sufficiently long skill to fill time then. May have minimal access to the client if I need to, but I certainly won't be able to actually play then. Though there's quite a few skills that would be useful to choose from for that time. Depends on whether I want it to be something more specialized vs. something that might apply to all ships.

Finished Minnie Battleship IV. Just a couple more days for some various skills I didn't have (repair drones and shield rigging IV) and I should be good to go with an introductory hull for incursions. Could sit for another week for Rapid Firing V though. I do probably need to make a couple million ISK to be stable if I'm investing in a new battleship and things don't work out with incursions. Particularly if I have a T2 rig or two on it that I can't easily recover the money from if I need to flip the hull.

I will be out of town for about a week starting next Thursday, so I'll have to find a sufficiently long skill to fill time then. May have minimal access to the client if I need to, but I certainly won't be able to actually play then. Though there's quite a few skills that would be useful to choose from for that time. Depends on whether I want it to be something more specialized vs. something that might apply to all ships.

I heard some of the incursion channels have a isk insurance policy for some of the pricier battleships.

really, for some of the groups, especially for vanguards, losing your ship is like a .0001%. But they're there if you need it.

I'm just 5 days away from Min Battleship 5.

once that's done, I can finally start switching over to gunnery skills

I heard some of the incursion channels have a isk insurance policy for some of the pricier battleships.

really, for some of the groups, especially for vanguards, losing your ship is like a .0001%. But they're there if you need it.

I'm just 5 days away from Min Battleship 5.

once that's done, I can finally start switching over to gunnery skills

What gunnery skills didn't you have that it's worth training Minmatar Battleship V first? Some of the less important support ones? Not that BS V is bad, but you could knockout 2 or 3 gunnery Vs in the same amount of time.

And I wasn't worried so much about being able to cover the loss of my Incursion ship, but being able to replace some of my other ships if something went wrong, as buying a new BS without making a decent chunk of change first would put my wallet at the lowest its been in ages. Even if the money is good from Incursions, I don't know how long it would take to at least earn back the cost of the BS, especially factoring the downtime involved and that I might be passed up somewhat frequently with a relatively bare-bones, non-shiny ship.

---

Other news:

Shield Rigging 4 ends in less than 24 hours, so I'll be able to use T2 shield rigs, which will be handy. After that I queued EM Shield Compensation IV (since you usually use a deadspace amplifier to cover that hole on these Incursion fits I've seen.) Needed a skill that was ~2 days or less so I can put in a long one just before I leave on this trip for about a week. There's some general ones I could knock out like Energy Management V or Long Range Targeting V, but right now I'm thinking I'll probably put Sharpshooter V in.

What gunnery skills didn't you have that it's worth training Minmatar Battleship V first? Some of the less important support ones? Not that BS V is bad, but you could knockout 2 or 3 gunnery Vs in the same amount of time.

And I wasn't worried so much about being able to cover the loss of my Incursion ship, but being able to replace some of my other ships if something went wrong, as buying a new BS without making a decent chunk of change first would put my wallet at the lowest its been in ages. Even if the money is good from Incursions, I don't know how long it would take to at least earn back the cost of the BS, especially factoring the downtime involved and that I might be passed up somewhat frequently with a relatively bare-bones, non-shiny ship.

---

Other news:

Shield Rigging 4 ends in less than 24 hours, so I'll be able to use T2 shield rigs, which will be handy. After that I queued EM Shield Compensation IV (since you usually use a deadspace amplifier to cover that hole on these Incursion fits I've seen.) Needed a skill that was ~2 days or less so I can put in a long one just before I leave on this trip for about a week. There's some general ones I could knock out like Energy Management V or Long Range Targeting V, but right now I'm thinking I'll probably put Sharpshooter V in.

i was on vacation for 5 weeks, so i needed a long skill to just let it que.

As for expensive battleship, eh. You can make 1 billion in like, 4 hours of Incursion. Spend 1 full day, and you got yourself a sweet 2 bil

i was on vacation for 5 weeks, so i needed a long skill to just let it que.

As for expensive battleship, eh. You can make 1 billion in like, 4 hours of Incursion. Spend 1 full day, and you got yourself a sweet 2 bil

Good point if you were gone that long.

And I guess I'll just have to try it out and see where I get. Probably won't start doing any incursions until after I get back since I've got packing and other preparations to do in the next couple of days.

maybe you could train something that would give you logistic skills?

I know logi are definetaly a neccesity and would probably attract more positions than DPS.

Also, i've noticed some of the dps ships have a remote logi/cap boost module. how are your drone skills? ive also noticed a lot of builds have armor/shield rep drones on em.

today i decided to buy a navy megathron and to fund this doing lv 4/exploration. almost lost a magnate to a hound entering a WH and decided to screw that for the day.

maybe you could train something that would give you logistic skills?

I know logi are definetaly a neccesity and would probably attract more positions than DPS.

Also, i've noticed some of the dps ships have a remote logi/cap boost module. how are your drone skills? ive also noticed a lot of builds have armor/shield rep drones on em.

today i decided to buy a navy megathron and to fund this doing lv 4/exploration. almost lost a magnate to a hound entering a WH and decided to screw that for the day.

I get up to Logi IV with support skills at IV minimum in something like a month (or less) to fly a Basilisk, but it's just not something I'm interested in at the moment. Devoting SP to Logistics is putting a finite resource towards something you need to be in a group to make use of, which I've only rarely done before in my EVE career.

I can invest some more time into repair drones, but I have a base level of skill in them at the moment. Not looking to get V for the T2 versions anytime soon - I'd get better gunnery skills before that. Otherwise my drone skills are pretty adequate (T2 light + mediums). Don't have heavies trained up (but I've never flown a full-on drone boat where I'd use them), and I really need to find the time to knock out Durability IV sometime soon (been flying Tengu mostly for a long time which doesn't have any drones, so it wasn't a priority). Otherwise everything important is at IV or V.

MedIC86

I hope someone can explain this a bit to me:

im quiet interested in doing some exploration. I have acces to an anathema with the fitting (not all t2) that is required to do basic explo. But when i look at the fittings i see no combat modules whatsoever. If i understand it correctly you only use the exploration ship to find the sites, bookmark it and take a ship that is prepared for combat to the site? im still a huge EVE newbie :)

I hope someone can explain this a bit to me:

im quiet interested in doing some exploration. I have acces to an anathema with the fitting (not all t2) that is required to do basic explo. But when i look at the fittings i see no combat modules whatsoever. If i understand it correctly you only use the exploration ship to find the sites, bookmark it and take a ship that is prepared for combat to the site? im still a huge EVE newbie :)

Data and Relic sites no longer have rats in them, so it's safe to go in just your probing ship. Only combat (and I believe some gas sites still) require a ship prepared to fight.

Note that with the sites in wormholes these new rules don't apply and sleepers do still spawn in every kind of site, so you'd want to come in a combat ship after probing it out, kill everything, then return in something with the appropriate module to access the containers (and loot/salvage.) Or just bring a buddy. It's possible to do all-in-one with a T3, but you'd be severely compromised in at least one way, especially when dealing with sleepers.

Ubersnug

Data and Relic sites no longer have rats in them, so it's safe to go in just your probing ship. Only combat (and I believe some gas sites still) require a ship prepared to fight.

Note that with the sites in wormholes these new rules don't apply and sleepers do still spawn in every kind of site, so you'd want to come in a combat ship after probing it out, kill everything, then return in something with the appropriate module to access the containers (and loot/salvage.) Or just bring a buddy. It's possible to do all-in-one with a T3, but you'd be severely compromised in at least one way, especially when dealing with sleepers.

If you are going to run wormhole Data and Relic sites solo, then I would not recommend going above a C2 wormhole unless you have a particularly 'blingy' Tengu then you might be able to run C3 data and relic slites. But you have to have pretty awesome cap and missile skills to survive all the neuting you will suffer and to quickly dispatch all the sleeper battleships. Personally, I wouldn't do c3 relic and data sites without at least an additional Tengu as backup, or even a Legion to handle all the frigates. A reasonably well fit Tengu can handle C3 anoms without too much trouble however.

Don't consider C4's unless there are a group of you and you are running RR Tengu's or RR battleships. Again, teh same with C5's, but you will need a few more RR Tengu's to cope with the increased dps.

Still get into a good C5 and you can easily make a couple of billion in a couple of hours or so. Assuming no one tries to gank you that is.

MedIC86

If you are going to run wormhole Data and Relic sites solo, then I would not recommend going above a C2 wormhole unless you have a particularly 'blingy' Tengu then you might be able to run C3 data and relic slites. But you have to have pretty awesome cap and missile skills to survive all the neuting you will suffer and to quickly dispatch all the sleeper battleships. Personally, I wouldn't do c3 relic and data sites without at least an additional Tengu as backup, or even a Legion to handle all the frigates. A reasonably well fit Tengu can handle C3 anoms without too much trouble however.

Don't consider C4's unless there are a group of you and you are running RR Tengu's or RR battleships. Again, teh same with C5's, but you will need a few more RR Tengu's to cope with the increased dps.

Still get into a good C5 and you can easily make a couple of billion in a couple of hours or so. Assuming no one tries to gank you that is.

Is there a way to see what C# they are? also what does that mean ? im still very new sorry.

Ubersnug

Is there a way to see what C# they are? also what does that mean ? im still very new sorry.

C# is the class of a wormhole, C1 through to C6. Their designation essentially dictates how difficult the anomalies and Signatures will be, but they also dictate how much mass can go through the wormhole at a time and the total amount of mass it can cope with before it collapses.

It also gives you a rough idea of what static to expect.

A C5, for example, never has a direct static to empire space (highsec/lowsec or nullsec). C5's will either have a C2, C3, C4 or C6 static. So, if you want to get to empire from your C5 wormhole, then you are going to have to follow the chain.

YOu can actually tell what class of wormhole you are about to enter by the colour of the wormhole:

wc_c5_wh.jpg

This orangy colour, usually means a C5 lies behind it.

wc_c4_wh.jpg

This sickly yellow one means there is a C4 on the other side

Check Here for the full range of colours.

Also, if you grab the LOCUS ID of the wormhole (which is the J# number on the top left of your screen, usually where the system name would be) and fire it into www.wormhol.es this will tell you inform you of who possibly owns the wormhole, what statics it has and if there has been any recent pvp/pve activity.

MedIC86

C# is the class of a wormhole, C1 through to C6. Their designation essentially dictates how difficult the anomalies and Signatures will be, but they also dictate how much mass can go through the wormhole at a time and the total amount of mass it can cope with before it collapses.

It also gives you a rough idea of what static to expect.

A C5, for example, never has a direct static to empire space (highsec/lowsec or nullsec). C5's will either have a C2, C3, C4 or C6 static. So, if you want to get to empire from your C5 wormhole, then you are going to have to follow the chain.

YOu can actually tell what class of wormhole you are about to enter by the colour of the wormhole:

wc_c5_wh.jpg

This orangy colour, usually means a C5 lies behind it.

wc_c4_wh.jpg

This sickly yellow one means there is a C4 on the other side

Check Here for the full range of colours.

Also, if you grab the LOCUS ID of the wormhole (which is the J# number on the top left of your screen, usually where the system name would be) and fire it into www.wormhol.es this will tell you inform you of who possibly owns the wormhole, what statics it has and if there has been any recent pvp/pve activity.

Thanks, very informative. Also one last thing im curious about. I have heard about this deadspace exploration. Is this something one could do alone (lets say the very easy ones?) or is it impossible to know the difficulty in advance?

Ubersnug

Thanks, very informative. Also one last thing im curious about. I have heard about this deadspace exploration. Is this something one could do alone (lets say the very easy ones?) or is it impossible to know the difficulty in advance?

Yup, Highsec DED (Deadspace sites) can be done solo, even some lowsec ones. Highsec DED sites range from 1/10 - 4/10 difficulties and upto the recent T3 cruiser nerf, a Tengu could easily tank the damage of a 4/10 site and you could walk away with about 300+ mil in loot if you were lucky. Now the strongest ship you can take to a 4/10 is a battlecruiser, which can still handle 4/10's easily assuming you have a good fit and good skills (a Drake, for example, is ideal).

If you want to know the difficulty of a site before you warp to it, go to the eve survival guide site and search for the site name. That will give you a good indication of what difficulty the site will have, what to expect and what ship you can use to survive it.

eot

Banned
logi 5 is required if ure gonna fly logi. logi 5 and multitasking 5

With Multitasking III you can already lock 10 targets, which is the limit on a logi ship anyway. The only realistic circumstance where you might want the skill to IV is on a triage Carrier with a T2 triage module, since that gives you 11 max targets.

Top Bottom