• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

another problem, can't get 100k ehp without boosts on rokh nor vindi. rokh i'm 3k off, but it would mean either caldari bs 4 (5 days), shield management (13 days but any ship race will benefit). could easily get it with officer mods, but need money for that. and to get money i need fw. catch-22! and i have 2m isk to my name without selling essential stuff. ha!

new day, new pothole in the road.

Really need to sneak into Incursions at odd hours. Weekend rush without a pirate battleship yet is far too much to contest.

And snipers seem more saturated than Vindicator DPS lately as well. The cross-train for competent meta 4 blaster skills isn't too bad though if I need to. Already started the Large Projectile Turret V queue though. Went with that since it will directly increase my damage the quickest, even though going bottom up (starting with small guns) or training other skills would provide more utility in the same span of time.

I just all the ISK buying my Machariel. Roughly 1.2bil for ship + some miscellaneous fittings that I was upgrading from the Maelstrom. Still waiting for buy orders on a couple things and I went with the T1 shield extender rigs for the moment since the T2s are 100mil+ each (that you can't resell if you need to change) for a fairly minimal gain and I've already spent about half my wallet.

Atomski

Got me a Barge to mine while designing at my pc. watching netflix or playing my newb alt account. Something to run in the background and check now and then. Hopefully when I have some isk I will find a better more interesting way to make isk cause it is pretty damn boring if you arent doing something else already.

Also starting that newb alt made me realize what a mess my skill point training was when I first started the game. Ugh..

So I was doing some exploring and having fun hacking data sites. The mini-game is actually pretty fun to me.

Of course, some pirates get me and manage to demolish my cheetah. I just really .... wish I could do something to them. But I know that even if I had a pvp-fitted ship I can't do shit.

Atomski

So I was doing some exploring and having fun hacking data sites. The mini-game is actually pretty fun to me.

Of course, some pirates get me and manage to demolish my cheetah. I just really .... wish I could do something to them. But I know that even if I had a pvp-fitted ship I can't do shit.

I know the feels man.

I hope eventually I can train a decent PVP ship and find some eve buddies. Traveling in packs should help a lot with the pirates.

finally popped my incursion cherry. i dont think i actually contributed and was mainly a fly on the wall and a bit lost.

but went from 5m liquid isk to 300m in 3 hours. could do better, but all in due time.

was good! time to make that Vindi more attractive

SummitAve

Banned

Gotta keep those eyes on local and be prepared to start dscanning short range.

Ubersnug

Gotta keep those eyes on local and be prepared to start dscanning short range.

Yup, set dscan to short range, filter everything out except ships and probes. The minute you see anythign showing up on dscan, get the hell out of dodge (or move away from the item you are hacking and cloak up.

finally popped my incursion cherry. i dont think i actually contributed and was mainly a fly on the wall and a bit lost.

but went from 5m liquid isk to 300m in 3 hours. could do better, but all in due time.

was good! time to make that Vindi more attractive

hahah welcome to the good life

hahah welcome to the good life

ph9k7os.gif

hitlerat

Hello...
I´m playing Eve for 1 week ... Doing tutorial and career missions...
Can someone point me a good tutorial or some tips what to do after that tutorial?

Thanks

Hello...
Can someone point me a good tutorial or some tips what to do after that tutorial?

Thanks

a good thing to do is to join a corp that will teach you the ropes in terms of gameplay mechanics.

eve university is a popular beginner corp. they teach all the ins-n-outs of the game and hold classes.

also these:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1c211z/the_have_a_tip_leave_a_tip_eve_thread_round_v_the/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/qsa2j/newb_here_need_a_guide_or_something_to_start_me/c402d46]

ALSO, DO NOT PICK CALDARI/MISSILES. You can, but life will be harder in the long run.

EDIT:

as mentioned below, it helps to get an EVE program that helps you keep track of your skills/assets but most importantly helps you plan out your skills. another skills tip, you get 2 free skill remaps and 1 yearly free remap. the programs can help you determine which skills to max in order to shorten the time it takes to lvl them.

oktarb

Hello...

Thanks

That a very open ended question as EVE really puts it on you to forge your own path. When it doubt read the fuck out of http://www.eveuniversity.org/. They are gods of info.

But basically you have three main paths:

1) Combat
2) Industrial
3) Market

Combat can be broken down into:
PvP (the art of being an ass)
PvE (running missions. Good place to start to learn combat)
Exploring (Sites and Wormholes, considered advanced)

Industrial:
Mining
Building things

Market:
Buying low, selling high is local market
Transporting - buy low at A, sell higher at B

Get EVEmon.

After breaking her in with a maiden voyage incursion last night:

Machariel so much better than the Maelstrom.

Handles more like a cruiser than a battleship. With MWD on and fleet boosts I'm pretty sure it hits over 2km/s. Easy to overshoot though if you're not paying attention. Without boosts I think it's still 1800 m/s. Poor Maelstrom only hit 800 m/s. And the cap life is way better, though the deadspace MWD helps I'm sure.

Damage is better, but the main thing is the falloff is significantly improved. From about 80km to 117km. Guns cycle faster so it's quicker to switch targets. Don't like the odd number of turret slots though compared to the even 8 on the Mael. Looks silly with the (somewhat new) turret models on the ship.

If there's an incursion downtime, I'd love to take her out to try a level 4 mission (refit ofc), though I may need to blitz some missions to get my Amarr standings up, since Caldari L4s are probably not the best for non-missile boats.

That's all I can think of for now, but the Mach is definitely one of the most gush-worthy ships in the game. So beautiful and nimble.

dunno about tvp anymore. i kinda got too acquainted with one of the FCs and now he knows my entire setup and is demanding i use specific modules instead of the stuff i got into the wtm fleet yesterday.

I better stick to the rokh 1 more week to let it simmer and get even more used to things. Plus i want to get shot at at least once to see what the dmg is like (we did lose like 2-3 logi back to back cause everyone was celebrating the blink, so they would blink promos and by the time they got back ingame someone died)

dunno about tvp anymore. i kinda got too acquainted with one of the FCs and now he knows my entire setup and is demanding i use specific modules instead of the stuff i got into the wtm fleet yesterday.

I better stick to the rokh 1 more week to let it simmer and get even more used to things. Plus i want to get shot at at least once to see what the dmg is like (we did lose like 2-3 logi back to back cause everyone was celebrating the blink, so they would blink promos and by the time they got back ingame someone died)

Heh.

And what kinda changes was this guy asking for? I know you have significantly fewer SP than me and you're kinda space poor atm, but your fit seemed fairly solid (though I didn't run it through EFT). Maybe a web instead of the cap regen.

Hello...

Thanks

Pretty much what the other people said. With the weapons as mentioned - missiles are quicker to train into, but aren't nearly as useful overall as guns. It's 3 weapons systems with overlapping skills vs. 1 with its own set. Oh, and Drones V is one of the most useful skills you can grab early, even if the skill seems long in comparison to other stuff you'll be training. If you're flying Gallente ships with bonuses to drones, it should be your first priority.

He said even though i have all lv 4 shield and caps, he wanted people like me using a EM field instead of amplifier. But at that point it would only work on the vindi since rokh is HELLA CAP LEECH AND SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

EDIT:

Point #1: Nobody told me that asteroids have incursion mobs whenever there is an incursion in system.... got out with 10% hull haha. Man im glad it was the rokh and not the vindi...

Point #2: someone already popped the dang mom.

He said even though i have all lv 4 shield and caps, he wanted people like me using a EM field instead of amplifier. But at that point it would only work on the vindi since rokh is HELLA CAP LEECH AND SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

EDIT:

Point #1: Nobody told me that asteroids have incursion mobs whenever there is an incursion in system.... got out with 10% hull haha. Man im glad it was the rokh and not the vindi...

Point #2: someone already popped the dang mom.

Hmm. I don't know without taking a closer look at fits and I'm probably not the best person to ask anyway. If you use a deadspace EM amplifier and get over 70% resist, I don't see why it would be a problem. The ward might give you slightly higher, but if you hit the resist mark and are over 100k EHP, then yes, it mostly just sucks up some cap (that's already more precious on a blaster boat.)

As for point 1, yes: read this closely if you haven't. That's just one source, but it's a fairly good one.

Point 2 - I was off when the mom was killed, but a new incursion has spawned as of this post.

Thanks for the tips guys...

I think I will focus on PVE in the start and then move to Combat/Exploration...

Can you guys recommend me a good ship/fitting ? I'm using merlin with basic fitting now...

Im training my skills bases on that guy list :
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=77549

Is that a good start to my plans (pve and exploring) ?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions

The list in that post pretty much covers the basic fitting and tanking skills (that are essential for everybody), yes. You'll also want to toss in whatever you chosen weapon (and corresponding support) skills in your queue as well. Since you said you're using a Merlin, that would be hybrid turrets. Caldari also uses missiles. Gallente ships also uses hybrid turrets with an additional focus on drones. Amarr ships primarily use energy turrets, though they make greater use of drones and missiles on some ships. Minmatar boats use projectile turrets with missiles being the secondary focus.

You can quickly cross-train to another race if you prefer their style of ship, especially since your character is so new, you'll hardly lose out on anything since you don't even have core skills up to scratch. This reddit post from a few days ago gives a good overview of the traits of the various races.

And there's no perfect fitting for everything. Depending on your skills/wallet/risk-adversity, there are numerous valid fittings for every situation. I assume you mean for level 1/2 missions though. Battleclinic is a decent place to look to get a general idea (check the boxes with the tags you're interested in after looking up the hull type.) And get EVE Fitting Tool (EFT) as soon as possible to check out and play around with fits. Went far too long without it and it makes things much easier in that regard.

---

That's it for this post though, probably too much information already (even though there's more I could say - game is deep!). I probably should get around to updating the OP with some essential links for new and returning players sometime.

Oh and join the NeoGAF chat channel in-game, and if you PM me your character name I can send you some ISK to help get you on your feet some - to buy skillbooks or whatever.

EDIT: Also just remembered, ISK the guide was a useful resource for me when I was first starting out. Some of it will be outdated by now (and their v.2 isn't available in English yet for some reason), but most is still valid at least in principle, and it will give you a good synopsis of pretty much every game system in EVE. Something to read while going to sleep or whatever. (The site looks a bit scammy, but it's not - you don't have to pay for anything.)

Yup, set dscan to short range, filter everything out except ships and probes. The minute you see anythign showing up on dscan, get the hell out of dodge (or move away from the item you are hacking and cloak up.

i still dont get the art of d-scanning. i know it helps in finding prey and getting the f out, but the whole short scan thing still confuses me.

if you set it to short scan that means that a possible pirate is already on route. i.e. warping to your location. Based on how fast some ships are, this only gives you a 5-10 second window, and that's only if you pressed the scan button while they were in range right?

SummitAve

Banned
i still dont get the art of d-scanning. i know it helps in finding prey and getting the f out, but the whole short scan thing still confuses me.

if you set it to short scan that means that a possible pirate is already on route. i.e. warping to your location. Based on how fast some ships are, this only gives you a 5-10 second window, and that's only if you pressed the scan button while they were in range right?

Set your dscan to the maximum distant, and then remove the last digit. Because you are at a data/relic site they will have to scan it down first. You will see the probes before you see the ship.

Ubersnug

When you are at a data or relic site, there should be a few things you should be doing all the time:

1. Check local
If the system is empty, then you are safe as you can be. The minute someone jumps into the system assume them to be hostile.

2. Relic and Data sites are relatively safe
Well, comparably speaking when compared to all the other sites you could be running. Data and Relic sites need to be scanned down first. So, unless the enemy coming to get you has previously scanned the site down and bookmarked it, you have a small buffer of safety here as they will have to pop probes to find the site.

3. Span dscan.
If someone comes in system, and assuming they don't already have the site bookmarked - and they want to find you, you want to keep an eye out for probes. Either Standards or combats. A good combat scanner would already have determined roughly where you are and will only need one pass with his probes to find you. So, assume the minute you see probes on dscan, especially combats, you are compromised and get out.

4. You can adjust your dscan to a shorter range to determine if the hostile is coming to get you. Say 1 or 2 au. If they appear in that range, get out asap.

5. Spam dscan. Every 2 seconds, click that button.

6. NEVER, NEVER stay at a sites warp in point. It's usually the first place hostiles will land when they enter your site and they will be able to quickly grab you if you do stay there. Always move away from the warp in point, preferably a good distance away. This may give you extra time to escape if you they jumped you by surprise.

Now, your full dscan range is about 14 AU, which equates to about 2,094,370,189,800 km, which your dscan should be set to by default and covered the full 360 degress around your ship.

SummitAve is correct that you could remove the last digit to get a really close range scan, but I prefer to do this:

150,000,000km is roughly 1au
300,000,000km is roughly 2au
450,000,000km is roughly 3au
etc, all the way to 14au at 2,100,000,000

(if you want the true 14au, just type 9999999999 in the distance text-box and it will automatically change it to the proper value for 14au).

hitlerat

Hmm. I don't know without taking a closer look at fits and I'm probably not the best person to ask anyway. If you use a deadspace EM amplifier and get over 70% resist, I don't see why it would be a problem. The ward might give you slightly higher, but if you hit the resist mark and are over 100k EHP, then yes, it mostly just sucks up some cap (that's already more precious on a blaster boat.)

As for point 1, yes: read this closely if you haven't. That's just one source, but it's a fairly good one.

Point 2 - I was off when the mom was killed, but a new incursion has spawned as of this post.

The list in that post pretty much covers the basic fitting and tanking skills (that are essential for everybody), yes. You'll also want to toss in whatever you chosen weapon (and corresponding support) skills in your queue as well. Since you said you're using a Merlin, that would be hybrid turrets. Caldari also uses missiles. Gallente ships also uses hybrid turrets with an additional focus on drones. Amarr ships primarily use energy turrets, though they make greater use of drones and missiles on some ships. Minmatar boats use projectile turrets with missiles being the secondary focus.

You can quickly cross-train to another race if you prefer their style of ship, especially since your character is so new, you'll hardly lose out on anything since you don't even have core skills up to scratch. This reddit post from a few days ago gives a good overview of the traits of the various races.

And there's no perfect fitting for everything. Depending on your skills/wallet/risk-adversity, there are numerous valid fittings for every situation. I assume you mean for level 1/2 missions though. Battleclinic is a decent place to look to get a general idea (check the boxes with the tags you're interested in after looking up the hull type.) And get EVE Fitting Tool (EFT) as soon as possible to check out and play around with fits. Went far too long without it and it makes things much easier in that regard.

---

That's it for this post though, probably too much information already (even though there's more I could say - game is deep!). I probably should get around to updating the OP with some essential links for new and returning players sometime.

Oh and join the NeoGAF chat channel in-game, and if you PM me your character name I can send you some ISK to help get you on your feet some - to buy skillbooks or whatever.

EDIT: Also just remembered, ISK the guide was a useful resource for me when I was first starting out. Some of it will be outdated by now (and their v.2 isn't available in English yet for some reason), but most is still valid at least in principle, and it will give you a good synopsis of pretty much every game system in EVE. Something to read while going to sleep or whatever. (The site looks a bit scammy, but it's not - you don't have to pay for anything.)

Thank you man!
I will read that book asap...

R83B

Neo Member
Removed as it was pointed out it was against the GAF ToS. Sorry Guys. Thanks for letting me know.

oktarb

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask this but as it is regarding eve I thought why not..

Anyone know where to sell EVE accounts? My character has 13-14mil Skill points and 150mil isk. I don't play anymore and working on saving for a house so I figured I may be able to get something for it. If anyone knows any sites that are (safe/good) please shoot me a message.

Thanks

Its not really enough SP to get anything worth the effort imo. 50 million plus maybe. You can use an appraiser 'Killed with fire' to get a sense of his worth.

Here's a site that sells and buys: 'Killed with fire'

This breaks every terms of service imaginable so I don't recommend it. Donate it to a worth scrub.

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask this but as it is regarding eve I thought why not..

Anyone know where to sell EVE accounts? My character has 13-14mil Skill points and 150mil isk. I don't play anymore and working on saving for a house so I figured I may be able to get something for it. If anyone knows any sites that are (safe/good) please shoot me a message.

Thanks

to be honest, i think this is against GAF ToS. So be careful.

to be even more honest, i think you might get $5 for it. or less. hell not even a 20m sp is that enticing, and i have less than 20! That all depends on what kind of skills you trained though. if those were all in specific professions then yes i could see it being worth someone's while.

as mentioned above, you can try your luck or donate it to a newbie.

Mb6Um8V.jpg

I took my baby out for a spin. 600 dps jump and 25% faster AND 106k ehp non boosted easily. gonna treat it reeaaaaaal nice. Also, once i plex both my accounts for the month going to start saving for a navy caldari ship. Want to do some L4s in the times when nothing is running.

to be honest, i think this is against GAF ToS. So be careful.

to be even more honest, i think you might get $5 for it. or less. hell not even a 20m sp is that enticing, and i have less than 20! That all depends on what kind of skills you trained though. if those were all in specific professions then yes i could see it being worth someone's while.

as mentioned above, you can try your luck or donate it to a newbie.

I took my baby out for a spin. 600 dps jump and 25% faster AND 106k ehp non boosted easily. gonna treat it reeaaaaaal nice. Also, once i plex both my accounts for the month going to start saving for a navy caldari ship. Want to do some L4s in the times when nothing is running.

Looks beautiful. I have an Abaddon I like to keep for lvl 4s as my last resort when get low on funds. Which is probably right about. Those lvl 4s (+salvaging) tend to burn me out quicker though. :(

Looks beautiful. I have an Abaddon I like to keep for lvl 4s as my last resort when get low on funds. Which is probably right about. Those lvl 4s (+salvaging) tend to burn me out quicker though. :(

I love the look of the Abaddon but I don't know if it's actually good for anything that another ship doesn't do better. And unfortunately I'm pretty sure there isn't a T2 (or navy, pirate, etc.) that uses the same hull design. Certainly looks better than the Armageddon and Apocalypse.

Really still digging my Machariel at the moment though.

I love the look of the Abaddon but I don't know if it's actually good for anything that another ship doesn't do better. And unfortunately I'm pretty sure there isn't a T2 (or navy, pirate, etc.) that uses the same hull design. Certainly looks better than the Armageddon and Apocalypse.

Really still digging my Machariel at the moment though.

Yeah the Machariel looks fuck'n amazing. I don't understand how you could afford that beast. I mispoke... I have an apoc. Tells you how rusty I am at this game. Time to go do some lvl 4s....

All this Battleship talk.. Im still trying to get the skill points to run a battle cruiser efficiently.

QQ

It's important to remember that larger ships aren't necessarily better. You can skill up into the tech 2 versions of smaller hulls much more quickly than it takes to efficiently pilot a battleship. Especially with T2 ships (but any ship really will do), good piloting can let you take out ships a class or two larger. Everything has its place.

All this Battleship talk.. Im still trying to get the skill points to run a battle cruiser efficiently.

QQ

But that's the thing. Bigger isn't always better in this game.

My measly Magnate seems to pull more ISK for my investment that my old Cheetah.... plus it has escape power. How odd is that...

Atomski

Yeah I really need to join a corp with some vets so I can get some mentoring. I seem to learn things the hard way on my own :p.

How are you making isk on your magnate? Just hacking sites?

Yeah - I seem to make around 5 million or so per site. And it fits my current playstyle of only semi-paying attention. I can cloak and go afk when I need to. I wonder if the more lucrative sites are in 0.0 .

Yeah I really need to join a corp with some vets so I can get some mentoring. I seem to learn things the hard way on my own :p.

How are you making isk on your magnate? Just hacking sites?

Yeah - I seem to make around 5 million or so per site. And it fits my current playstyle of only semi-paying attention. I can cloak and go afk when I need to. I wonder if the more lucrative sites are in 0.0 .

there are. the risk and reward are high.

gatecamps, warp bubbles. pirates. the hackign games are hella tougher.

but you also have a chance at t2 mods and blueprints.

Atomski

Nothing like going out to low sec hacking a bunch of stuff till your ships full and then getting blown up on the ride home :p.

I tell you what, I also spent a hell of a long time working up to a anathema then after getting 2 blown up I find out I can actually put cloaking devices on a magnate. Boy did that make me feel dumb..

Nothing like going out to low sec hacking a bunch of stuff till your ships full and then getting blown up on the ride home :p.

I tell you what, I also spent a hell of a long time working up to a anathema then after getting 2 blown up I find out I can actually put cloaking devices on a magnate. Boy did that make me feel dumb..

you can put cloaking devices on anythign :p

now the t2 cloaking device that lets you warp cloaked tho...

oktarb

If I'm stealth-mining I'll put a prototype cloaker on my Exhumer. Head to a system with no local and mine away. Someone pops in local and I cloak up.

did an assault last night. Finally got what i wanted to experience. i.e. full room aggro. Just to test my tank.

i can also say it's scary as hell when it happens. Sure logi will bail you out, but sometimes the newbies don't know the broadcast rules too well and things might get hectic. specially when blink promos are going.

Top Bottom