• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

Violet_0

Banned
so hey, we should pick a Gaf server, find a nice spot and start building a town

On any of the continents?

when I created my character, I could only chose between two worlds or whatever (Courage and something else that didn't work) and I was dropped into a zone were nearly all the land has already been taken. I manage to secure a small territory on the edge of a desert and started messing around with the building tools. No idea how to switch to other continents

so, for those who got in.

I'm on the fence, should I get this or not?

I'd recommend waiting for the beta in two months

atrossity

Banned
Been playing for the last two hours. Dont get this if you don't plan on building. Also, dont worry about "GETTING MY CLAIM QUICK" because the alpha will have a claim wipe.

It really IS like minecraft 2 so far. However, there is some performance issues (To be expected), no combat, and a ton of things will change.

I dont regret my purchase at all, but I am a hardcore gamer. I am currently looking to build a bunch of templates.

Violet_0

Banned
Been playing for the last two hours. Dont get this if you don't plan on building. Also, dont worry about "GETTING MY CLAIM QUICK" because the alpha will have a claim wipe.

It really IS like minecraft 2 so far. However, there is some performance issues (To be expected), no combat, and a ton of things will change.

I dont regret my purchase at all, but I am a hardcore gamer. I am currently looking to build a bunch of templates.

yeah, pretty much this. And don't forget, it's an alpha version

Wulfegang

yeah, pretty much this. And don't forget, it's an alpha version

It's driving me crazy seeing so many people complaining about the game not being ready for us to log on, glitches, performance issues, etc. I don't think they understand what Alpha means.

It's driving me crazy seeing so many people complaining about the game not being ready for us to log on, glitches, performance issues, etc. I don't think they understand what Alpha means.

I agree but also, when you charge people access to it it can distort their perception and expectations.

Not in alpha or anything but I'm very curious about this one.
Sounds very intriguing when I hear "minecraft 2" etc...

ZiZ

I'd recommend waiting for the beta in two months

that's what I was going to do, but then I noticed that the trailblazer pack includes 5 Beta Codes. My younger siblings are huge minecraft fans, we were going to get the Beta packs but buying a trailblazer pack might have better value.

ElfArmy177

btw, just read this - DON'T delete your character right now

Why is this? I already deleted one because my character was all messed up.

EDIT: Also yea, this is bullshit with the claim thing. There is nothing left. Ive tried every location. Besides that, once you travel for an hour left or right just to find no land to claim, you cant even get back to the base without walking back. Im usually ok with Alpha games and stuff, but jesus christ.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
that's what I was going to do, but then I noticed that the trailblazer pack includes 5 Beta Codes. My younger siblings are huge minecraft fans, we were going to get the Beta packs but buying a trailblazer pack might have better value.

The beta codes only last 1 week each. So, unless you just want to test it out for a week, it may be better to buy the $20 beta pack. I'm sure beta will last longer than a week. =p

Yeah between the lack of optimization, inability to claim any land due to crowding, and all around glitchiness this is virtually unplayable. Alpha is alpha. My fps counter is fluctuating from 20 fps to 60 every moment, which makes the game very stuttery and jarring, it's starting to give me a headache.

atrossity

Banned
Yeah between the lack of optimization, inability to claim any land due to crowding, and all around glitchiness this is virtually unplayable. Alpha is alpha. My fps counter is fluctuating from 20 fps to 60 every moment, which makes the game very stuttery and jarring, it's starting to give me a headache.

*sigh*

Anyways, I would recommend waiting till beta for a lot of you. That said, I have a mid level computer (8 gigs of ram, AMD phenom x6 processor, Radeon hd 6570 video card) and I am getting a consistent 30 FPS OUTSIDE OF THE STARTING AREA. The lag in the starting area is truly unbearable.

.. but they really werent exaggerating the toolset. It REALLY is that easy to use. I just wish I was more creative :-(. Ill post pictures of the tower I built on a mountaintop, hopefully tonight

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So far so good. I've got a nice little claim on a mountain plateau which includes one of the cliff faces so I can carve it out Dwarf-style (assuming that kind of landscaping is possible and we're not just limited to surface building)

There are some fine views to be had! Getting 45-50 FPS on max settings with a Titan. Not bad considering the draw distance and alpha status.

Violet_0

Banned
I built a bridge by stacking blocks one by one. Checked the faq, turns out you need to craft the more advanced building tools first. And now I travel from continent to continent because I forgot where my claim is

Tukker

Why did you buy your way into an alpha if you can't deal with technical issues and a game that isnt fully finished yet?

ElfArmy177

Is there a tutorial for building somewhere? All I have is the add block tool and nothing else...
nvm, found the FAQ

Somnia

I am SO fucking hooked, was up till 5AM.

BTW those saying no claims, look closer. I just went to a zone that was fucking WIDE open. Just keep looking around =)

Game is VERY much an alpha, if you can't live with bugs, issues, etc. do NOT play this right now, but they are onto something VERY special.

For GAF chat, how do I join/talk in it?

We all knew it was coming and here it is, the first big budget Minecraft clone. The game is pretty cool, I'm looking forward to building my little castle and visiting other claims. Too bad the game deletes everything I've done and resets my character every time I log out. The character it defaults to doesn't have a claim flag for some reason. If I delete it and create a new character everything works fine... until I log out again. It's hard to enjoy anything when I'm terrified that it'll be gone as soon as I stop playing. Oh well, alpha gonna alpha.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm also experiencing the constantly fluctuating fps, dropping to 0-5fps whenever I try to do anything. Hopefully they'll figure out how to improve this.

Primarily interested in the building aspect of this, but currently gathering ores and upgrading equipment. Don't get into the alpha if you're expecting combat or quests, because there are none!

Why did you buy your way into an alpha if you can't deal with technical issues and a game that isnt fully finished yet?

I can deal with technical issues, i'd be happy to play if i COULD play. Not being able to claim any land kinda puts a stop to that. Once they open some new islands or clear up some space i'll give it another go. I tried early this morning to play so more space may be opened. Many of the worlds i visited while searching for land had me falling through the terrain upon spawning, which would force me to log out and back in.

Somnia

I can deal with technical issues, i'd be happy to play if i COULD play. Not being able to claim any land kinda puts a stop to that. Once they open some new islands or clear up some space i'll give it another go.

You might need to look harder, there's a lot of open land out there.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I can deal with technical issues, i'd be happy to play if i COULD play. Not being able to claim any land kinda puts a stop to that. Once they open some new islands or clear up some space i'll give it another go.

You can't find land anywhere at all? at all? Everywhere is claimed?

You can't find land anywhere at all? at all? Everywhere is claimed?

When i played earlier (around 8 am EST) yes. Based on responses there are more spots available now. I went to about 10 different worlds (islands?) when i played and each map was completely boxed in with white.

I like what I am seeing from the streams so far. Definitely an alpha build but looks like it'll be great when polished up and has me pretty excited for both next and landmark.

acksman

When I first was looking for a claim the entire maps were filled with claims. After I while I logged out totally and came back in and there was empty claims. Not sure if it was a glitch or what. Found a plot on a mountain overlooking desert to the back of me and a pretty valley with a huge mountain out in front of me.

Top Bottom