• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
My recommendation now is to not buy in unless you have a high tolerance for frustration.

Still some flashes of brilliance in this game if you look hard enough, though.

Pretty much. You can tell they have something good, but it's not there yet.

Damaniel

Banned
My recommendation now is to not buy in unless you have a high tolerance for frustration.

Pretty much the definition of an alpha. People expecting a complete, bug-free experience need not apply. :)

For all the frustrations so far (which you can probably find out about if you look hard enough, but which I'll refrain from talking about due to the NDA) and for all of the missing features, there's still a surprisingly decent amount of 'there' there. Unless you're a glutton for punishment, I'd stay away until the beta phase, at least, but as long as the standard dev cycle and requisite bugfixes take their course, this could end up being something pretty special in the end.

(The fact that -- despite all of the current issues -- I've still spent my whole day playing so far and plan to continue to do so today for as long as time allows, is a pretty good sign that there's a decent game here. There's very few games I can stand to play for more than an hour or so at a time anymore, if that.)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Luckily I have a high tolerance for frustration! It's definitely an alpha but I'm glad I can play it.

Are the servers getting crushed? Goes to the loading screen, stays at 0% and then crashes. :(

I had that happen, worked on the 3rd try.

Absinthe

From the Landmark forums:

"You can check the /logs/NetInfo file in your Landmark directory. It gives you some information about where you were with timestamps. Unfortunately, it has string identifier for each continent (e.g. "Alpha_TropicalAndDesert_00013") that doesn't match the in-game names. But you can check the file again every time you log in to a new continent and try to match the string with the name. "

So I checked the log from last night and my zone I was in is Alpha_TropicalAndDesert_00028, now I just need to identify which zone that is.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just realized you can sprint by holding shift.

Spooneh

Neo Member
I see some people streaming but apparently there is an NDA? I was planning on getting it in beta and maybe streaming it then, but now I am considering it doing it now. Are people getting banned or they just not bothered about the nda?

Iadien

I see some people streaming but apparently there is an NDA? I was planning on getting it in beta and maybe streaming it then, but now I am considering it doing it now. Are people getting banned or they just not bothered about the nda?

The President of SOE mentioned that they may lift the NDA soon, who knows though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much the definition of an alpha. People expecting a complete, bug-free experience need not apply. :)

For all the frustrations so far (which you can probably find out about if you look hard enough, but which I'll refrain from talking about due to the NDA) and for all of the missing features, there's still a surprisingly decent amount of 'there' there. Unless you're a glutton for punishment, I'd stay away until the beta phase, at least, but as long as the standard dev cycle and requisite bugfixes take their course, this could end up being something pretty special in the end.

(The fact that -- despite all of the current issues -- I've still spent my whole day playing so far and plan to continue to do so today for as long as time allows, is a pretty good sign that there's a decent game here. There's very few games I can stand to play for more than an hour or so at a time anymore, if that.)

Sure, but I'm worried that the way SOE is selling and hyping it is giving people the impression that it's more ready than it actually is.

Iadien

Sure, but I'm worried that the way SOE is selling and hyping it is giving people the impression that it's more ready than it actually is.

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley Jan 31

Just remember folks - it's an alpha. Not a finished game.

LowParry

Uh........did you watch the video right when you started the game? It's pretty damn on point what it is people are getting into. Honestly I don't see why they should offer refunds to people who know what they're getting into. Psh.

Somnia

They have been NOTHING but clear that this is an Alpha. Everytime they discuss the game they say it's an alpha and VERY much an alpha.

atrossity

Banned

I disagree. Its way more ready than I expected based on playing other MMO alphas.

You gotta keep in mind that the full game, ever quest next, won't be out for a year. I was skeptical of the ability for someone to do a "build anywhere" mmo that runs.. and it does. On the first day, at that! Guild wars 2 had a way more unplayable beta for the first day than this did.

(btw guys, I hope I don't sound like a fanboy, I am just thoroughly impressed so far.. I have been waiting for this game my entire life)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They have been NOTHING but clear that this is an Alpha. Everytime they discuss the game they say it's an alpha and VERY much an alpha.

Sure, but at the same time they are hyping it up to high heaven. Talking about how much everyone who has played it is enjoying it. Talking about how much they need people to play and have fun in the game to provide feedback. Showing very polished looking videos, etc.

I'm not saying they are misleading anyone, and it's cool they are offering refunds for those who are interested, but I just want to make sure that people know it is Rough with a capital R before dropping a decent amount of money.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have an Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4 GHz, should I be okay to play this? My vid card is a Radeon 7970 though.

I can't say for sure, but if other modern MMORPGs like Rift are any example, a Core 2 processor is going to run very poorly.

railGUN

Banned
Honestly, I don't care if it doesn't run great, I just want to build shit. It is a quad core, but it's old. I'm thinking that refund doesn't extend to newly purchased packs. Guess I'll either wait for beta, or upgrade my computer.

Iadien

Smedley was chatting in a stream on twitch and someone asked him if they could stream. Smedley's response was to wait a few hours. NDA may be dropping tonight.

Subxero

I'm really tempted to buy the $60 pack. I wasted so much time building stuff in minecraft. I bought into minecraft early so im not stressed over bugs or havimg to restart. I think I would really dig building up a plot of land. How is the exploration? Can you wonder around and see what other people built or is it instanced? How is navigation? If I get lost will I be screwed?

It just sounds like a good time to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really tempted to buy the $60 pack. I wasted so much time building stuff in minecraft. I think I would really dig building up a plot of land. How is the exploration? Can you wonder around and see what other people built or is it instanced? How is navigation? If I get lost will I be screwed?

It just sounds like a good time to me.

It's not instanced, and you can run around seeing the cool stuff other people are working on in real time. You can't build on their claim unless you get permission, though.

Was this ever confirmed anywhere that it's going to be f2p when it launches besides everyone's assumption since rest of SOE's games are f2p?

FiraB

Banned
18 hours later and I'm asking for a refund...

Not what I expected to be doing today but if I can't even test the game then it's not worth anything the explorer pack has to wait for a solution to a problem I just spent all that time trying to fix. Even other peoples files didn't fix the problem, it's really maddening.

Just Incase your curious the launcher checks your files when it opens up to the correct checksum values on the files themselves to make sure they are correct. Now what my launcher is doing on my computer is wiping out certain files that its getting via download, thus why I tried someone else's files who's game is working.

Now I thought this might have been my computer so I tried my laptop, my other gaming pc, my partners laptop and my HTPC (which can play this game), they all came up with the same issue, say what? How is that possible?!? I have no idea and that's why I've asked for a refund.

I am tired beyond belief and I'm going to sleep now.

F2P since the day it was announced.

But did SOE specifically say that anywhere? I just don't remember seeing it every actually announced out of their mouths, or does it say it anywhere on anything official of theirs? Was wondering if it was all purely speculation or not

Iadien

But did SOE specifically say that anywhere? I just don't remember seeing it every actually announced out of their mouths, or does it say it anywhere on anything official of theirs? Was wondering if it was all purely speculation or not

Yes, it's F2P. No, it is not an assumption. SOE is a F2P company, you can easily see this on their official page for EQN/EQNL.

https://www.everquestnext.com/eqn-faq
What is EverQuest Next?
EverQuest Next is a Free to Play, next-generation sandbox MMO built on the ForgeLight Engine. There has never before been a game like this.

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/landmark-faq
What is EverQuest Next Landmark?
EverQuest Next Landmark is a Free to Play, next-generation online sandbox game. Build and explore a world unlike anything you've seen before.

Kimawolf

Well i am loving it so far. Yes it is a real Alpha version, not like the press and companies call betas, which are basically playable demos. There are many bugs. But its to be expected.

They posted the fixes coming out in the patch tonight

link

We posted details about the issues we were working on earlier.

*Some* resolutions are forthcoming tonight (2-3 hours from now). Details!

* Bug: If you set claim permissions so anyone else could modify your claim, then everybody could modify it. Band-aid fix: We're disabling claim permissions until we can fix them. (High priority this week.)

* Issue: The worlds are filling up with people! Fix: We're increasing the limits on both worlds and islands. (Quite a bit actually. About 50% more.)

* Bug: Memory leak on the server. Fix: We have identified and fixed one memory leak. We don't know if it's the only one, but this is fixed. Stability for the islands should improve. (Crash less.)

* Bug: If you use the Mega Pocket for your inventory, and then you place items in the last four slots of your inventory bag, and then log out, THEN you lose those items. Fix: Make the slots not do that.

* Bug: Claims were disappearing IF the claim description was edited so that the text there was more than 256 characters in size. Fix: Descriptions cannot be more than 255 characters.

* Bug: If you set up a private chat channel THEN all future progress on your character was not saved from that point on. Fix: Prevent such a problem. (Private chat channels are safe now and won't screw you up.)

* Issue: WHERE THE HECK AM I? Player has no idea which world or island they logged onto. Band-aid fix: The name of the world and island you are on will appear in the upper left of the screen (above the Landmark watermark). Later on, we'll add more features to Claim Management to also let you see where your claims are located.

* Issue: My starter tools are missing! Band-aid fix: We added recipes to the Stone Forge at hubs. These recipes allow you to recreate the ADD, DELETE, HEAL tools as well as the Stone Axe and Pick.

* Bug: The Founder's Pick, when used as an axe, did not have as long of a range as the Stone Axe. Fixed. Founder's Pick now has a range as long as the other axes.

ALSO (IMPORTANT!): Some players have deleted their character or crashed out in bad ways that made them lose their claim flag entirely. This is obviously bad as they can now do nothing but harvest resources. We are working on a fix to comb through the databases and grant a claim flag to any player that a) doesn't have a claim and b) also doesn't have a claim flag in their inventory. We HOPE to have this fixed in time for tonight's update.

KaOTiK

Banned
Damn it. My forge/workstation other stuff I had put down in my claimed area earlier is all gone, but all the actual changes to the landscape are still there :(

Man, the amount of people complaining about "not being able to build fast enough" because of having to harvest is making me sad. So many "I want an oompa loompa and I want it NOW" folks. One person in particular was complaining that it took them most of today to get enough stone to build the wall of A CASTLE. I swear people just want to consume everything as fast as they possibly can.

vilmer_

This engine is absolutely perfect for an MMO. The lighting, atmosphere etc are all top notch, and look how early it still is... Everquest Next is going to be incredible.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Called it. =)

With that out of the way, I'm looking forward to finally claiming something to mess around with. I've spend a good amount of time finding resources and such, made forges and what not, just need a place. =P

Top Bottom