• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

Zalusithix

Got back in after over an hour queued. Mastercraft Bracer was missing. Then the client crashed a couple minutes later. Sooo, I guess they didn't fix the item glitch? Or there's another one? Or the server just wouldn't show that one item? Back in queue now, but I might hop out. Not sure it's worth putting more strain on the servers that already can't cope.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My claim seems to have gone poof. I'm at the right server and the right continent, but it's not where it used to be. Don't have a claim flag. One login I didn't see anything under Claim Management, but when I logged in again I saw 2 default entries.

Alpha!

Subxero

Waited in queue twice and kicked out to windows after it loads. I guess I'll try it again and see what happens. I'm pretty sure my drivers are current.

I assume if I get in I can still harvest supplies even if I can't make a claim.

Edit: Got in the third time for less than 5 minutes before it crashed. At least I know it will load now.

acksman

Waited in queue twice and kicked out to windows after it loads. I guess I'll try it again and see what happens. I'm pretty sure my drivers are current.

I assume if I get in I can still harvest supplies even if I can't make a claim.

Same here, thinking it is something else.

I may try to delete the game cache and try again.

YuShtink

Got in and was actually functional for about 10 minutes. Equipped a few items and started harvesting, but crashed soon after.

Waited again, got back in, but the lag was too great. Couldn't interact with the world at all aside from running around. Couldn't even see the spire I was right nearby. Then the game crashed again.

Definitely going to be slow going tonight.

Zalusithix

Waited again, got back in, but the lag was too great. Couldn't interact with the world at all aside from running around. Couldn't even see the spire I was right nearby. Then the game crashed again.

Definitely going to be slow going tonight.

Yeah, even when you get in now, the servers are lagging to the point of unresponsiveness. Trees would break long after I had depleted their bar. Items were showing up from harvesting long after having actually done the harvesting. Now I'm unable in interact with the world aside from moving as the world response is so slow. (Still getting items from a tree I was cutting over 10 minutes ago.)

My bracer is still missing. It is a wearable item that shows up on your character sheet right? Not a one time use item that boosts a stat? Could have sworn I saw it equipped the first time I played.

Edit: Also of interest is the fact that the game applies a partial transparency on the screenshot PNGs it generates where the UI elements are. Bug in the screenshot feature! Alpha!

nataku

Finally got past the queue but the game got stuck at 50%. I tried to alt tab and it didn't work so I had to ctrl alt del to get to the task manager to force close it. Now I'm sitting here staring at a black screen and an unresponsive computer.

I really don't want to have to force a reboot and risk my HDD but I don't really have a choice now.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
After deleting my original claim and crashing on the way to settle the new one, I can't find a spot for a new one any more and the old one's taken. Feels silly paying $100 to get in and not be able to build anything. Had a refund request started, but cancelled that. Just going to wait it out.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
After deleting my original claim and crashing on the way to settle the new one, I can't find a spot for a new one any more. Feels silly paying $100 to get in and not be able to build anything. Had a refund request started, but cancelled that. Just going to wait it out.

New servers will be coming in the next day or two most likely.

Smedley: "We hope to have another server up tomorrow late"

nataku

SSD seems fine despite having to force my PC to reboot when it locked up. Not sure I want to risk it again, so I might just put this game off for a few days until they get a few more stability patches out.

Specs?

I have a 3rd-gen i7, with a geForce 650m 2GB, and 8GB RAM. I'm hoping I should be fine.

I'd imagine you'd be fine. My laptop has the same specs except for the graphics card, which is a 670m or 675m, and when I'm away from the hub I usually get 30-40fps when everything is set to Medium. Sometimes it briefly drops to 20fps but it doesn't make it unplayable or anything. Not sure how much more powerful the 670m is though.

Also, it doesn't set the game to automatically use the more powerful graphics card so you'll have to do that (I imagine you've done that before).

Raticus79

Apparently there's a bug where as you go from zone to zone the claims you see client-side are piling up. When you go to a new zone, you need to exit and restart to see the real claims without the phantom ones from the previous zone.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eqn...e-is-claim-space-available-see-how-here.7392/

So things may be better than people think. It also explains why some have been able to click and settle in spots where the client said they should be able to.

Damaniel

Banned
I had managed to build a couple of walls yesterday, but the were sadly gone due to the server issues.

However, I did manage to build a selection tool. Now I can make a wall in just a few seconds. ;) Had to log out though because my delete tool was broken, and I was stuck in a house with four walls and a ceiling, but no door. ;)

DPsygnet

managed to find an area and claim it, in Courage - Headland Tier2 - north east from start, about 2 minute sprinting. pretty nice view. I placed a gian agate ball, messed around with tool and crashed just in time for server going down.

FYI if you teleport to other area, the claim box stays in your menu so if you jumped around, your gonna see a LOT of boxes... that why i coulnd't see **** while trying to find a claim area earlier.

Yoday

I have real issues with them having people pay to play a game that has an NDA. That seems really strange, and I can't recall that having happened before.

Iadien

I have real issues with them having people pay to play a game that has an NDA. That seems really strange, and I can't recall that having happened before.

The NDA was dropped yesterday.

acksman

I think its kinda cool and they dropped the NDA. It allows the people that really want to play to get in and they probably are getting better bug reports as a result. The fact they will give you a refund if you are not happy should give you no risk trying it.

terrisus

People aren't "paying to play a game that has an NDA," they're choosing to pay money - which no one has to do - for a variety of perks, one of which is being able to play development versions of a game before it's out, through its Alpha and Beta stages.
Plus, as noted, the NDA was dropped

I mean, what next, having an issue with people paying to play a game which is full of bugs, with crashing and downtime so much? If one didn't know better, one would think the game isn't ready to be released, and needed more testing or something.

Yoday

The NDA was dropped yesterday.
Okay, good. Their FAQ still lists the NDA as in place, so I wasn't aware that they dropped it.

People aren't "paying to play a game that has an NDA," they're choosing to pay money - which no one has to do - for a variety of perks, one of which is being able to play development versions of a game before it's out, through its Alpha and Beta stages.
Plus, as noted, the NDA was dropped

I mean, what next, having an issue with people paying to play a game which is full of bugs, with crashing and downtime so much? If one didn't know better, one would think the game isn't ready to be released, and needed more testing or something.
I'm not following here. How are you not paying to play the Alpha if you are buying a founders pack? Yes, there are other things that come in the pack, but the main selling point is access to the Alpha. It doesn't really matter anymore since apparently the NDA was lifted, and that was my only real issue, but your argument didn't make any sense to me. Nobody "has to" pay for anything, but people buying these founders packs most certainly are doing so, at least in part, to play the Alpha.

terrisus

I'm not following here. How are you not paying to play the Alpha if you are buying a founders pack? Yes, there are other things that come in the pack, but the main selling point is access to the Alpha. It doesn't really matter anymore since apparently the NDA was lifted, and that was my only real issue, but your argument didn't make any sense to me. Nobody "has to" pay for anything, but people buying these founders packs most certainly are doing so, at least in part, to play the Alpha.

Because we're not talking about a "game" that's for "sale." We're talking about a product that's in development that people have the option of giving money to participate in the development/testing process. If they don't want to, they can just wait until the game is actually released, and then get it for free.

Raticus79

All right, got a claim. Liberation - Pingo (Tier 3). It's on a mountain in the NE corner. There are still a few more in the area. (make sure you log out and back in after entering the area to clear phantom claims)

4Qsf0CT.png

Zalusithix

All right, got a claim. Liberation - Pingo (Tier 3). It's on a mountain in the NE corner. There are still a few more in the area. (make sure you log out and back in after entering the area to clear phantom claims)

By saying logout, I assumed the servers were back to a reasonable state. I hop on, log in quickly, and get dumped into a wasteland of blue where nothing is rendered at all. Looking at the main map at an extreme tilt, I can sort of see claim boxes like a world away. It's like I was deposited off the actual world block. Same result on both servers. I think I should stop playing lol... Every time I come back to the game it's in worse shape than it was before.

Edit: Going by the SOE forums, I'm hardly alone... Alpha!

holy shit. I went to exit the game from the Queue and instead DELETED MY CHARACTER!

Ugh, going to bed lol

Yeah I crashed and when I logged in it wanted me to make a char and then I crashed again. Then I got the server down issue after that. So hoping it was just a temporary bug lol.

supergiz

Only the trailblazer pack gets the head start.

I'm trying to get an idea of how much it is worth it to get the trailblazer then. What kind of headstart are we talking about? I read the description on the official website but still confused

supergiz

And at 48 hours, it isn't going to make a huge difference. It's enough to give prime choice on land claims, but that's about it.

Of ok. Then looks like explorer for me. Does this include access to next when it is released without buying the game again?

Iadien

Does this include access to next when it is released without buying the game again?

Think of Landmark and Next as two different games (yes there is some crossover)... There will be separate packs for Next.

supergiz

Ok so I just bought the 99 dollar one. How do I download the game?

Edit: Bah nm found it was in the email. For some reason it was in my social tab email

WOW!!!! This installer has the fastest download rates I have ever seen. I have cox ultimate but I have never seen the 10 mbites per second be actually attained!

supergiz

Ahhh crap.... I just realized I don't meet the requirements for this game. Stupid me didn't see the I5 quad core and I have an I3....

How do I get a refund?

Edit: Nm, found out. Dang this sucks :(

Top Bottom