• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

This might sound like a silly question, but can people help other people build places, like community built castles or whatnot?

lol51

This might sound like a silly question, but can people help other people build places, like community built castles or whatnot?

there is a permissions list where you can set specific players as a constructor, lord, vendor, banned, etc. You can also make your claim public so anyone can edit.

gogojira

Dave Georgeson's been great through this whole process. It helps ease the pain when you see the whole team at SOE is busting their ass and way more frustrated than I have the right to be.

there is a permissions list where you can set specific players as a constructor, lord, vendor, banned, etc. You can also make your claim public so anyone can edit.

Don't do that yet though, as it's broken and it will allow anyone to work on your claim.

Also, I don't think SOE knows how a que works. I've gone from 50th place to 250th then back to 110th and then back up to 180th then back down to 30th and back up to 235th.

Only clicked play once.

lol51

Is this queue legit? I went from 30 mins to 44 mins. People have surely found a way to bypass this. 51 mins now.

Well...clicked cancel and it says 144 minutes.

Freki

Is this queue legit? I went from 30 mins to 44 mins. People have surely found a way to bypass this. 51 mins now.

Well...clicked cancel and it says 144 minutes.

A queue is calculated by taking into account people logging off. If nobody would log off then the wait time would be infinite. A rising queue time merely means that there are less people logging off then anticipated by the algorithm determing the wait time....

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This may not be the place for technical discussion about this game, but does this game make anyone else's GPU go nuts when playing?

I'm at the log-in screen and my GPU load according to GPU-Z is 99% with the fans on at 62% of full blast. I wonder if it's because there is no frame rate cap? Anyone have any ideas to maybe try capping the FPS to 60?

Zalusithix

This may not be the place for technical discussion about this game, but does this game make anyone else's GPU go nuts when playing?

I'm at the log-in screen and my GPU load according to GPU-Z is 99% with the fans on at 62% of full blast. I wonder if it's because there is no frame rate cap? Anyone have any ideas to maybe try capping the FPS to 60?

Fraps reporting framerate sub 60FPS here in the login queue, and one GPU is pegged. (I don't dare exit queue to test SLI settings.) I think it's just a pretty damn high load for whatever reason. I know the FPS goes up when I lower options.

That said, I just exited my stupidly long queue to get the server list, and now I'm in the queue to enter the actual server. Lines are fun!

Edit: And it keeps dropping me from the sever queue. Even the queue is alpha quality!
Edit 2: Figures that shortly after I make that edit, it finally lets me in to the server.
Edit 3: Look at map -> crash -> back to queue.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

You should be able to use Nvidia Inspector to limit the fps to 60 (or whatever you want) if you own an Nvidia card.

If you need help with that here's a random guide to limit the fps: http://youtu.be/Y8TjOVd6w5M?t=2m3s

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You should be able to use Nvidia Inspector to limit the fps to 60 (or whatever you want) if you own an Nvidia card.

If you need help with that here's a random guide to limit the fps: http://youtu.be/Y8TjOVd6w5M?t=2m3s

AMD card. Radeon 7970.

I'll see if I can't do something similar in the Catalyst Control Center application they have.

railGUN

Banned
Anyone know if this refund policy applies to the game purchased after they announced specs? I'm under spec'd on my processor, but willing to put up with a bit of jank, but if it's unplayable I'd hate to drop $60 on it. I emailed their support yesterday, but no response (I'm sure they're getting hammered).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the queue is actually letting people in. Once they loosen the log in restrictions, I'm sure there won't be much of a queue, anyway. I'm just going to wait instead of brutalizing my GPU by sitting at that character select screen.

macewank

Anyone know if this refund policy applies to the game purchased after they announced specs? I'm under spec'd on my processor, but willing to put up with a bit of jank, but if it's unplayable I'd hate to drop $60 on it. I emailed their support yesterday, but no response (I'm sure they're getting hammered).

if you're not happy with the Alpha for any reason, they'll refund it.

ksimm

Well I'm in, claimed a plot after a long walk, and now digging a great big hole in the ground. It's certainly more interesting than the square blocks of Minecraft.
I'm getting a reasonable 30fps on my laptop.

Zalusithix

Heh, was in for a while, but accidentally hit the window X instead of the map X... suffice to say the game doesn't ask if you really meant to close. Or maybe it does - kind of hard to tell given it just outright locked up. Back to the queue now, but given how the servers are full, I doubt I'll get in any time soon.

Random things of note from my brief time in:

1) I've achieved higher frame rates in game than at the queue screen.
2) The shard I was dropped off in didn't have any room for new claims.
3) Game needs a compass, or a way to set waypoints. Having to open the full map over and over to regain bearings is a pain.

LowParry

3) Game needs a compass, or a way to set waypoints. Having to open the full map over and over to regain bearings is a pain.

Game needs a mini map. I hope they put up some suggestion threads for feedback because that would be the firs thing I'd ask for. And the ability to press ESC when menu/character sheet/map is up.

I see the potential with this game which I think is going to translate well into EQN.

DPsygnet

was in queue, got in 30 min, crashed, back in queue 962 minutes left...

Any guide on claiming ? i absolutly do not understand the claim map, all thoses red box on in another make no sense... how are players supposed to know it's fine to settle somewhere

Zalusithix

Any guide on claiming ? i absolutly do not understand the claim map, all thoses red box on in another make no sense... how are players supposed to know it's fine to settle somewhere

Basically you can't set up a claim within the large grey box that surrounds somebody else's cube. Good luck finding an area to do it!

box shouldn't have red on it. you'll know lol. just check your map to see an empty area

Iadien

"More servers are on the way, but it's not going to happen today. Hardware doesn't get delivered on Sundays."

Trouble

Banned
Game needs a mini map. I hope they put up some suggestion threads for feedback because that would be the firs thing I'd ask for. And the ability to press ESC when menu/character sheet/map is up.

I see the potential with this game which I think is going to translate well into EQN.

Compass or minimap should be craftable items. In keeping with the spirit of the game.

Edit: crashed out when trying to use someone else's crafting station. If the queue estimate is accurate I won't be playing before I leave to go watch the superbowl :(

Zalusithix

"More servers are on the way, but it's not going to happen today. Hardware doesn't get delivered on Sundays."
Even if they could get the hardware today, I'm not sure I'd want them to set it up. Seems they were already getting people out of bed to fix the existing ones. Not sure I want sleep deprived people setting up new ones. ;)

Stider

Read the thread and decided to buy to explorer pack, game was down so left it alone and go bed. Wake up and can login, with an over 10 hour wait time lol. I might leave the game up and hopefully will be logged in once I get home from work. IGN Stider

macewank

Oi they need more servers. Least the ui shows where my claim is now... only if i could log in.

the issue really isn't server related. Smedley has been talking about it on Twitter.

the problems we're seeing right now are back-end/db related. i'd wager the code is fairly buggy at this point and that's causing all kinds of stability problems.

more servers might help that, but if the bugs are left unchecked, they'll break too.

Zalusithix

I am so torn... I love EQ, but my backlog/schedule!

Well, hit up your backlog then. This really has next to nothing to do with EQ aside from the name and the tech behind it. The game has far more in common with Minecraft than EQ.

Iadien

Here's a couple tweaks to try to improve performance for Nvidia users.

To improve your frame rates in game if you're using an NVIDIA graphics cards, open the NVIDIA Control Panel. Click 'Manage 3D settings' and in the 'Progam Settings' tab, click 'Add'. If 'Everquestnextlandmark64.exe' isn't listed, browse to it. Down in the feature box, set 'Power management mode' to 'Prefer maximum performance' and set 'Texture filtering - Quality' to 'High Performance'. This change barely reduces the quality of the in game graphics, but makes a HUGE difference for consistant framerates.

Playing in windowed mode significantly increases frame rates due to the smaller resolution of play. To enter windowed mode, press ALT + Enter. To return to full screen, simply press ALT + Enter again.

vilmer_

Kudos to Dave and the rest of the crew at SOE, they've done a phenomenal job communicating with us through the madness.

Top Bottom