• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

glaurung

I watched some streams of this on Twitch yesterday. It looks promising.
I also watched a stream last night.

It looks great, but I don't get how the claim system is supposed to work. I fear that when ever I log on to some server, all of the land will have been taken and I cannot even chop down trees.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

It looks great, but I don't get how the claim system is supposed to work. I fear that when ever I log on to some server, all of the land will have been taken and I cannot even chop down trees.

There are places that cannot be claimed by anyone, in order to avoid this from happening.

glaurung

There are places that cannot be claimed by anyone, in order to avoid this from happening.
OK, makes sense.

The map looked awfully busy though, all those bigger and smaller boxes of claimed lands. Which kind of leads me into thinking that only the first lucky few will get a "good" spot, the rest will have to traverse for ages to collect certain materials.

Though I am pretty confident the game knows these niggles and has addressed them.

Claims have huge buffer zones around them, which are there to later allow players to expand their claims with multiple claim flags. You can't mine or harvest within another player's claim, but you can mine/harvest within their buffer. Anything outside of a claim will heal over time, so even if you crater the buffer zone around a player, it'll come back eventually.

Confused by the claim system as well what happens to players claims who stop playing, what's to stop people,guilds creating multiple characters and mass claiming and entire zone?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The claim interface has an upkeep payment amount and due date. Looks like claims will probably eventually expire if they aren't maintained.

zeox

I'm having an incredibly hard time finding a claim :S. Gathering and stuff is fun enough but I want to get to building already!

Iadien

I'm having an incredibly hard time finding a claim :S. Gathering and stuff is fun enough but I want to get to building already!

There should be a new server later tonight at some point.

Cragvis

I literally had to run to the very south east corner of the map, in the desert, on top of some big mountain to claim my spot. I am all alone, top of the world, with no trees around...feels odd but lol fun.

railGUN

Banned

I was able to lay a claim in a spot that didn't appear it was possible. After looking for an hour, I finally just opened the claim map, and started clicking everywhere, and eventually it asked if I wanted to make a claim.

Raticus79

I was able to lay a claim in a spot that didn't appear it was possible. After looking for an hour, I finally just opened the claim map, and started clicking everywhere, and eventually it asked if I wanted to make a claim.

Everyone, make sure you log out and re-enter after you go into a new zone if you're claim hunting. There's a display bug where the previous map's claims aren't cleared when you go to a new zone.

There were still a few spots in my map Liberation:pingo[3] last night. Look for my claim with the ridiculous BELIEVE sign in the NE. http://imgur.com/4Qsf0CT.png

Not interested in Landmark, but what's the potential of Next with the game's engine and graphics (bugs aside) ?

The art style has amazing potential for people who enjoy dressing up their characters. The engine seems to be very promising. As far as I can tell there's no limit on draw distance with max settings, and it handles the LOD well. (Someone glitched it and built a massive spire on top of the center portal and it was visible from the corner of the continent)

Things are going to be very cool I think. It'll be a big deal when they add water.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Tempted to try this out, but not sure if the video on my laptop could handle it (Radeon 5730). Is it safe to assume that with this being in alpha, things aren't optimized yet and we may get a little more wiggle room on spec requirements later in development?

Trouble

Banned
Well my claim reset overnight, so everything I had built is gone.

Make sure you are on the right server. I've had the panic set in a few times when I crashed and it logged me back into the same island on the other server, so I'm standing on an empty plot instead of my claim.

YuShtink

At work now, but was sad to see my claim already reset after last night. I had a stone forge, wood carving table, and the foundation for my first cabin all together there. Damn, oh well.

I've got myself mining tier 3 minerals now. Finally got enough topaz together to build a selection tool, that's my first order of business when I get back tonight.

ZiZ

so apparently I need an Iron Pick to gather Aquamarine, but I need Aquamarine to make an Iron Pick. wat do GAF?

Raticus79

Everquest Next will support the Oculus Rift!! (confirmed by SOE president: Feb. 3rd)

Polygon article - http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/3/5373590/everquest-next-oculus-rift-support-sony-online-john-smedley

ZaF0sLT.png

Seriously, people were hooked on the original EQ and this is going to take things to a whole new level.

Cragvis

Not interested in Landmark, but what's the potential of Next with the game's engine and graphics (bugs aside) ?

Go try out planetside 2. It uses the same engine minus the terrain deformation. If you can run that game, you will more than likely have similar results when EQN is out.

Damaniel

Banned
At work now, but was sad to see my claim already reset after last night. I had a stone forge, wood carving table, and the foundation for my first cabin all together there. Damn, oh well.

I've got myself mining tier 3 minerals now. Finally got enough topaz together to build a selection tool, that's my first order of business when I get back tonight.

Selection tool is pretty much mandatory for building anything more complicated than a box. Before I had it, I managed to build a wall (and a couple of additional wall outlines) over the course of about 45 minutes. It all got deleted as part of one of the weekend server resets, but by that time I had the selection tool. I was able to reproduce the same results, build the other 3 walls, a floor and a ceiling in about 3 minutes. Just select the region that will contain the wall (adjusting the sides as needed), click add, then pick the material and click on the selection. Instant wall. :)

I still don't have access to the line tool yet - I need to build one of those tin workbenches and refine some marble so I can construct a marble forge. Then, I should be ready to start crafting tier 3 capable gathering tools (and the line tool along with it).

YuShtink

Tree chopping is pretty boring but the thing that makes the mining enjoyable for me is how organic the voxel deformation is with each strike of the pickaxe. A bit less monotonous than just destroying identical block after block in something like Minecraft, you can really carve and unearth deposits in a more enjoyable way.

Iadien

I agree, the game will be much more enjoyable for me once they start adding some more to do. I don't have much interest in building, so obviously that limits me quite a bit.

Raticus79

http://landmark.wikia.com/wiki/Slash_Commands

/loc - Provides the X, Y, Z coordinate of your location.

This will come in handy for providing our locations to each other. (Probably only really need the X/Y)

Could update the OP with a list like:
Raticus79 | Liberation:pingo [Tier 3] | [-123, +123] | (comments, available crafting stations, etc)
Probably better to have a Google doc for it so it's not too much work for Ashodin to maintain.

zeox

http://landmark.wikia.com/wiki/Slash_Commands

This will come in handy for providing our locations to each other. (Probably only really need the X/Y)

Could update the OP with a list like:
Raticus79 | Liberation:pingo [Tier 3] | [-123, +123] | (comments, available crafting stations, etc)
Probably better to have a Google doc for it so it's not too much work for Ashodin to maintain.

good idea

zeox | Liberation:pingo [Tier 3] | [2876, 952]

the world got reset again also :(

xDEKOIx

Anyone looking to buy a Trailblazer pack? I have an extra one that I bought for my gf, but her pc cant run the game. I'm willing to part with it for cheaper than normal cost. PM me~

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ocolus Rift is going to be incredible when it comes to mining. It'll be so much easier looking around to follow a vein rather than futzing with the mouse for both camera and pick aim. Plus it's going to feel totally claustrophobic underground... should be cool!

KaOTiK

Banned
Anyone looking to buy a Trailblazer pack? I have an extra one that I bought for my gf, but her pc cant run the game. I'm willing to part with it for cheaper than normal cost. PM me~

Contact SOE. They will probably refund you for that copy since they are issuing refunds to people who request them.

Absinthe

Just contact SOE, they already stated that if your unsatisfied with the Alpha you get a full refund.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'll probably be posting what I find here: http://imgur.com/a/FFKww#0

Not much at the moment but this one small castle place that I would really like to see when it's all finished and the owner has all the tools to make it look pretty.

terrisus

Seriously, people were hooked on the original EQ and this is going to take things to a whole new level.

What do you mean "were?"

One of the reasons I've been looking forward to this is because no MMORPG has been able to surpass how awesome and addictive the original EverQuest was for me.
Granted, I don't play it as much as I did back in 1999-2001, but it still has me hooked.

Raticus79

I'll probably be posting what I find here: http://imgur.com/a/FFKww#0

Not much at the moment but this one small castle place that I would really like to see when it's all finished and the owner has all the tools to make it look pretty.

Great work with the light coming through the windows there. I'm going to work on getting some cool light play happening in my tower.

Shadow effects based on getting separated elements to line up at certain times of day are cool, but I think they might not work well with templated buildings that are cloned to other locations (different sun angle). Worth testing I suppose.

J-Rzez

I will admit, Rift support has me interested for sure. Only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger now is "SOE" and their history, part of which I went through personally with game experiences.

Jira

I will admit, Rift support has me interested for sure. Only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger now is "SOE" and their history, part of which I went through personally with game experiences.

Honestly the transformation SoE has made in the past 10 years has been pretty damn huge. They're certainly not the same company that made EQ2 anymore.

Top Bottom