• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

K.Sabot

This is probably a really silly question, but it's one that popped to mind...
If I've never played Minecraft (I've never played Minecraft), am I going to have a difficult time picking up on all this crafting and mixing and whatnot?

Nah, the crafting recipes are clearly presented (unlike minecraft), and the UI makes it look like WoW crafting.

plenilune

Now Jeremy Soule is teasing: "More music being created today for Everquest Next Landmark. People might find a new theme around their castle #Landmark"

Are multiple people working on it? The soundtrack in alpha didn't sound remotely like Jeremy Soule..

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Are multiple people working on it? The soundtrack in alpha didn't sound remotely like Jeremy Soule..

Jeremy Soule is the main composer, he also mentioned that his brother would be helping. Soule will be working exclusively (when it comes to game music) with SOE on EQN for now.

He was also recreating EQ music with those tracks, which is why it may not sound like him.

Here's a taste (unfinished) of something else that isn't reimagining eq music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzgrFFnavY

Well must've been lucky cause I bad no problem getting a claim two days ago on Mesa. Only nothing I build stays there, its always gone next time I log in. Lost a bunch of mats cause all my props disappeared. Fun though so far, will just gather and work on crafting tools until the problem is fixed. Anyone else made the grappling hook? Doesn't seem to do anything for me.

supergiz

Servers are down at the moment, which may be causing that.

I have had similar problems in the past, though. Does the game window pop up at all, or just no response? Have you tried "spam clicking" the play button?

game window pops up then disappears then launcher quits. my os is 64 bit.

plenilune

Jeremy Soule is the main composer, he also mentioned that his brother would be helping. Soule will be working exclusively (when it comes to game music) with SOE on EQN for now.

He was also recreating EQ music with those tracks, which is why it may not sound like him.

Here's a taste (unfinished) of something else that isn't reimagining eq music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzgrFFnavY

Great, reason enough for me to play EQN. I never played original EQ (was too busy with Ultima Online) so no nostalgia here.

terrisus

Iadien

I really want to stay up for the land rush, but I am getting tired.

I sort of care, but knowing that claims will be wiped, I don't care too much about claiming anything. I've just been using other people's crafting stations to upgrade my stuff. =p

I'd love to be a part of the land rush but I lost my claim and didn't have a new flag last time I logged in. Hopefully I was given a new one xD

If not though I don't really care; I'm sure at some point they'll end up wiping the claims anyway.

Damaniel

Banned
Uh oh. Full wipe incoming?

If it means persistence of changed voxels going forward, I'd be fine with that - even if I have to go find another claim (I got in early on the first day and got a pretty decent claim when only maybe a dozen had been claimed in the area I was in). No point in investing heavily into building until those buildings stay around for a while (or until the 'Save template' tool works correctly).

Iadien

Anyone know what the permission box around the claim means? People can't mine there or something?

Do you mean the area around your claim? If so, that's the buffer area, nobody can build in that area, but they can harvest stuff.

K.Sabot

Do you mean the area around your claim? If so, that's the buffer area, nobody can build in that area, but they can harvest stuff.

So if I were to buy another claim, could I place it right next to my original claim in the buffer area? My future house needs a bridge.

Iadien

So if I were to buy another claim, could I place it right next to my original claim in the buffer area? My future house needs a bridge.

That's the idea, yep. We can only have 1 claim right now though.

Violet_0

Banned
Anyone know what the permission box around the claim means? People can't mine there or something?

do you mean the buffer zone? People cant place a claim there but harvest resources, and after some time the area changes back to its original state
you can use permissions to let others build in your claim or buy stuff from you

Somnia

Wipe incoming?

David Georgeson ‏@DaveGeorgeson 2m
Oh man. This is a good news and bad news post, but hopefully you'll all see it as hugely good news after you think about it. Post incoming.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yup, I'm pretty sure that means wipe.

djkaxGZ.gif

"What did I spend $100 for ??!!?!"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So sad that there will be people who complain.

Trouble

Banned
Lol it's amazing that people will get angry. Not only is it alpha but its only been one day. How long could some of these people have actually played the game for already? A few hours?

I will miss my Silversteel pick, but at least after a wipe I'll know what I'm doing and get back there a lot faster.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Lol it's amazing that people will get angry. Not only is it alpha but its only been one day. How long could some of these people have actually played the game for already? A few hours?

Oh, I guarantee there will be a rash of people on the forums demanding a refund.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Love how straight and communicative Dave Georgeson has been since this thing launched. Great guy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dave tweeting now:

Nutshell version: We absolutely fixed the "voxel data not getting saved" issue. It was a single database setting that wrecked everything.​

We ran servers over 4 mos. without a single data loss internally. Only the new config was having issues. We found this and it explained all.​

Extremely confident fix is correct. Bad news: Old voxel changes irreparably damaged. No recovery possible. (explain in forum post later).​

but new changes should save as reliably as they always did internally now. Which was 100%.​

Fixed servers should come up within the next hour. Build away! :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Glad it's not looking to be a full wipe. I just got my Iron Pick last night. Although I think it would go very quickly the next time now that I know what to do.

Raticus79

Woo, tech talk.

Well, sometimes a fix makes you <facepalm>. This is one of those times. Here’s your explanation.

All of the voxel data was being saved across multiple databases when it should have been going to a single database. When we tried to retrieve it after a server outage we were getting none of the voxel data because it wasn’t saved correctly.

Each time we outaged the servers (several times) in the last few days, the data became more and more permanently mish-mashed, thus becoming impossible to parse correctly.

So the truth is…that data is gone. However, now that this issue is fixed, any future changes you make will finally (at last!) be saved correctly and you should lose no more voxel data.

We’re pretty darned confident this change is correct. We have tested this change by making edits, then outaging the servers again internally, then starting the world again to verify that the voxel changes are there. They are.

This really, really should be fixed. We ran internally for over four months without ANY voxel data being lost. It’s only this new server configuration that was new, and now that this is fixed, the issue shouldn’t happen any longer. (The problem in this case was a SINGLE setting. By fixing that one setting, all the other problems that cascaded from it are also resolved.)

https://forums.station.sony.com/eqn...ads/for-want-of-a-bucket-the-ship-sunk.10026/

Interesting read. Wonder where the configuration would have been that caused that to happen. DBA thing or storage?

Raticus79

Speaking of voxels... what stops the world from becoming a giant swiss cheese eventually?

The world outside claims heals over time, going back to its default state. (Each voxel has a "last modified time" attribute on it, and it gets restored when a certain time has elapsed since then)

Top Bottom