• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Back in the game now. Loving the lack of lag :)

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Must.. resist...

*puts away payment card*

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There was going to be a wipe between Alpha and Closed Beta anyway, so don't get attached to whatever you build. Just see this as a good way to get to know the game and how to build :)

Anyway, looks like the stuff I built on my claim is gone again, so I need to craft the basics again. Alpha!

ZiZ

so I'm walking around looking for some mats when I see this long thin shadow on the ground, I figure it's some glitch and think nothing of it, I then turn a little to the left and see this:
hlfi0qI.png

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anyway, looks like the stuff I built on my claim is gone again, so I need to craft the basics again. Alpha!

This should be the last time that happens, smooth sailing from here - they found the underlying problem with things not getting saved. (Sounds like things were getting distributed to different servers when they shouldn't have been)

Just to be clear an explorers pack gets me in the alpha? Right?

As somone that was heavily addicted to EQ I love a chance to help out in an alpha for Landmark and Next.

Z3M0G

Subscribed. Those youtube videos really grabbed my attention... I want in on this.

Will this claiming/building stuff really be part of the final game too? If so, I may not sweat over not getting into the Alpha... if this is some of the stuff you will do in final game, oh my...

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Just to be clear an explorers pack gets me in the alpha? Right?

As somone that was heavily addicted to EQ I love a chance to help out in an alpha for Landmark and Next.

The explorer pack does get you into Alpha immediately. This Alpha is just for Landmark, it does not give you Alpha access for Next whenever that happens.

Will this claiming/building stuff really be part of the final game too? If so, I may not sweat over not getting into the Alpha... if this is some of the stuff you will do in final game, oh my...

Building is one of the main points of Landmark. Next is separate, but it will also have some building, it just won't be given out to just anyone, it will require more work to get a claim in Next.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Couldn't help myself, downloading now :)

Raticus79

People buying in today are arriving at a good time. Wait until the Serenity server is available (should be within a few hours) and you should have a good shot at a claim.

Iadien

Good interview on what's to come: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...marks-crafting-specializations-nda-and-roadm/

More crafting to come

Of course, seeing as it is just the beginning of alpha (one that Georgeson specifically stated is only 60% done in his alpha introduction video), you know that there are definitely more features incoming to the game, like water, monsters, and combat. It's no secret that crafting is an important topic to a number of Massively staffers, so it was natural to begin the discussion with the in-game crafting system.

As it currently stands, the crafting system is no more than just clicking a button with the resources in your bag and staring blankly at the crafting table. But since several of SOE's other titles, including Vanguard and EverQuest II, have more involved and robust systems, it's understandable that players would expect an innovative game like Landmark to move forward, not back. Georgeson noted that the system currently in game is just the rudimentary beginnings of crafting. In fact, he explained that the team has been pretty pleased to get crafting to the point it was at before the alpha started, and players should definitely be expecting much more to come.

What about the animations, like working the forge in EQII? The answer: "We'll get to that." Georgeson also revealed more of the plans for crafters. "Remember the classes of EQN where you collect a whole bunch of them and you specialize? We're going to be doing that kind of thing with crafting also." So players who have learned specializations will be able to craft different and better things than players who haven't. Additionally, players will have to work together to craft some really great things, as players will have different specializations.

To those who can't find a spot now or would prefer a different one, you'll have the chance to claim a new spot soon. More worlds, each with its own set of island maps, are incoming: one tonight named Serenity, two very soon (as in days), and a whole bunch more when the ordered hardware is delivered. It is expected that many current players will pull up stakes and move to these new worlds, opening up the current worlds up for new players to stake claims.

Home and back again

Georgeson also addressed the problems landowners had in finding their claims. "This week we're going to make it really stupidly obvious where your claims are and how to get there." He went on to note that "in hindsight it was hysterical how big a blind spot [SOE] had for this" since devs never faced the issue on their single island and were focused so much on other aspects like crafting and mining.

One of the bugs that is currently being fixed is the one afflicting players who log into different worlds than they logged out on. While exploration is fun, it's best when it is not forced; numerous players were forced to travel all the way to a portal in order to travel all the way back to their claim -- a very time consuming and annoying process.

That led into the topic of faster travel. We already know the grappling hooks are in game, but what else can players expect? For instance, earning a fast travel to your own claim was mentioned early on. Georgeson revealed that there are plans to have a default fast travel option to the island's portal hub for ease in traveling, but travel to claims themselves is still being debated so as to not negate the process of exploring as players go. "I think we're going to encourage you to actually move to your claim and port back to the hub whenever you want to go to another world," he told me. However, he did assure me that "there are so many cool ways [SOE is] planning to travel in this game... the grappling hook, mounts, gliding, and possibly flight."

Looking to the future

Combat will be at either the very end of alpha or the start of closed beta. The main hangup with that system is that mobs cannot be introduced into the world yet. "The thing that's stopping us from putting monsters onto the game is that we do not yet have pathfinding code written that works with changeable voxels." In other words, monsters can't just follow points on a path, so a whole new AI server has to be in place to handle calculations on the fly, allowing mobs to move around on ever-changing terrain.

Additionally, once liquid is in the game, players will be able to drown as well as burn in lava. On top of that, falling damage will eventually ensure that players will get hurt if they jump off a mountain without having a grappling hook or gliding. And the ability to slide up mountains will be a thing of the past once those mechanisms are put into place.

plenilune

Pathfinding sounds like a huge problem for this game, but still surprised that they don't have a working solution yet, so far into development.

Iadien

Pathfinding sounds like a huge problem for this game, but still surprised that they don't have a working solution yet, so far into development.

Not all too surprising. It's being worked on. They don't even have working water yet. lol

Osiris

Couple of questions:

Firstly, I equipped my Ring of Bounty, saw it equipped, relogged and came back now it's gone, any ideas?

Next, obviously claims are all gone on the two servers, what should I be mining/making while I wait for the new server?

Cudget

Neo Member
Equipped items are there, just can't see them. If you have two items you can equip the one you see in the slot of the one you don't and the invisible item goes to your inventory.

Also, if you check your stats you should see the stat boost from the item.

Raticus79

https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/state-of-the-alpha-2-3-14.9420/

Partial quote:
Solution: We are completely overhauling the map and claims interface to make it extremely easy to understand at a glance.

Details:
- You will never see a Claim buffer again. We still HAVE claim buffers, but they’ll be invisible. You will have “claimable space” and “unclaimable” space. Claimable space is blue, and unclaimable is red.
- This is just a ‘paintover’ of the terrain on the map. No more 3D representations of buffer spaces. Those are dead, dead, dead.
- To place a claim, you just open the map, look for a blue section and go place your claim there.
- On the other hand, your claim boundaries will still be shown as a 3D box. That way you can see where the claim is located vertically. (up in the sky, on the surface, or below-ground)
- There’s a few more nice things getting added since we’re touching it, but those will be obvious when you see the new interface.

We intend to get this improved interface up and running this week sometime.

Whew, that'll be much nicer to work with.

Also, Serenity delayed:
> David Georgeson‏@DaveGeorgeson·3m
> We are holding off on the launch of Serenity until we get this new voxel issue resolved. There's no point otherwise. More soon.
https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/430760713913528320

MKAllDay

When everything is completed will this game interact with EverQuest: Next? If yes, how?

Thus far all I have seen is vague comments that state one's efforts in Landmark could contribute to the final product.

Osiris

Equipped items are there, just can't see them. If you have two items you can equip the one you see in the slot of the one you don't and the invisible item goes to your inventory.

Also, if you check your stats you should see the stat boost from the item.

Yeah, stats still showing the effects, cheers :)

Also, Serenity delayed:
> David Georgeson‏@DaveGeorgeson·3m
> We are holding off on the launch of Serenity until we get this new voxel issue resolved. There's no point otherwise. More soon.
https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/430760713913528320

Damn, so what's a newcomer supposed to do now, just mine/gather I guess?

railGUN

Banned
Yeah, stats still showing the effects, cheers :)

Claims are being reverted right now (covering / destroying modifications), so people with land are periotically loosing everything they build every few hours.

You're not missing a whole lot (I don't have a claim right now either, waiting for new server).

Trouble

Banned

Newcomers should focus on that in any case. Get your claim when you can, but you really want to at the very least craft the selection tool before you start building on your claim.

If you need crafting stations other than the stone forges that are by the portals, lots of people have the others on their claims. You just need to run around a bit, unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When everything is completed will this game interact with EverQuest: Next? If yes, how?

Thus far all I have seen is vague comments that state one's efforts in Landmark could contribute to the final product.

They are going to implement the Player Studio into EQNL eventually.

https://player-studio.soe.com/

Top line description of what Player Studio is:

Player Studio is a program that offers players the opportunity to tap into their own creativity by creating in-game items that can be sold in the marketplace of their favorite participating online game.

So, pretty much, players will be able to create stuff in EQNL and possibility have it introduced to EQN proper.

Yes. Even if you had a claim, you won't be building much until you've done a shit ton of mining and gathering.

Osiris

Either way, I just learned about the claim overlay bug! Turns out if you don't relog after moving islands (via that crystal thingy) the claims overlay doesn't update properly, there's more space than you think!

YvNoGDE.png

At the top left of Courage / Mesa, so I'll still move quick when the new server opens, it's quite a trek! :D

Now to lose it because, lol Alpha! :p

Trouble

Banned
Either way, I just learned about the claim overlay bug! Turns out if you don't relog after moving islands (via that crystal thingy) the claims overlay doesn't update properly, there's more space than you think!

http://i.imgur.com/YvNoGDE.png[IMG]

At the top left of Courage / Mesa, so I'll still move quick when the new server opens, it's quite a trek! :D

Now to lose it because, lol Alpha! :P[/QUOTE]

Yeah there's a placement bug too, where the box is red, but you can still place a claim.

Also, props dissapear on your claim? Delete it, re-log and place it back down. Boom all your stuff back. Somehow I have 4 flags (not claim flags) now, lol.

RK9039

I just made something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PurSILc9YB4

It's just a shed though

Very nice, how long did that take?

I'll be making the The Two Towers from The Two Towers.

I have pretty consistent 60 FPS as well, i5 2500k, gtx 670, 8gb ram. I have a few tweaks that I have done though, such as setting shadows to low (everything else is on high). Playing in windowed mode also improves FPS right now, for whatever reason. As well as a few tweaks in the control panel:

"To improve your frame rates in game if you're using an NVIDIA graphics cards, open the NVIDIA Control Panel. Click 'Manage 3D settings' and in the 'Progam Settings' tab, click 'Add'. If 'Everquestnextlandmark64.exe' isn't listed, browse to it. Down in the feature box, set 'Power management mode' to 'Prefer maximum performance' and set 'Texture filtering - Quality' to 'High Performance'. This change barely reduces the quality of the in game graphics, but makes a HUGE difference for consistant framerates. "

Thanks, I will try this.

Iadien

What's your specs of your computer, and what settings you running at? Surprised the framerate is so steady... mine jumps around like mad.

I have pretty consistent 60 FPS as well, i5 2500k, gtx 670, 8gb ram. I have a few tweaks that I have done though, such as setting shadows to low (everything else is on high). Playing in windowed mode also improves FPS right now, for whatever reason. As well as a few tweaks in the control panel:

"To improve your frame rates in game if you're using an NVIDIA graphics cards, open the NVIDIA Control Panel. Click 'Manage 3D settings' and in the 'Progam Settings' tab, click 'Add'. If 'Everquestnextlandmark64.exe' isn't listed, browse to it. Down in the feature box, set 'Power management mode' to 'Prefer maximum performance' and set 'Texture filtering - Quality' to 'High Performance'. This change barely reduces the quality of the in game graphics, but makes a HUGE difference for consistant framerates. "

Ferrio

Banned

I have the exact same rig as you.... so hrmm... I guess I'll mess with the shadows and the 3d settings.

Raticus79

Are you using hard drive or SSD storage? I noticed this game puts a lot of data in the cache folder, so I bet that stutter is due to storage access. My install was up to like 25GB so I recently cleared out my cache folder.

I just made something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PurSILc9YB4

It's just a shed though

The hero's strafing animation reminds me of the way a cat will circle something it's about to beat up and/or run away from.

Iadien

Are you using hard drive or SSD storage? I noticed this game puts a lot of data in the cache folder, so I bet that stutter is due to storage access. My install was up to like 25GB so I recently cleared out my cache folder.

I'm using an SSD. They help for these games. My Landmark folder is currently 16GB. Weird.

Raticus79

Aha, seems like the SSD thing might be important. Diablo 3 has a similar issue. I'm using SSDs here as well, no stutter.

Osiris

Add me to the Alpha list.

IGN: Vennt

And we need a NeoGAF chat channel in game!

Top Bottom