• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So is EQNL interconnected with EQN? WIll you be able to build in EQN?

We don't know much about EQN, but I don't think mining and building will be a major aspect of the game.

dcx4610

Slightly surprised that EQN will support OC which the rumor that Sony is close to unveiling their own VR solution.

Hopefully OC is close to a public version. I'm dying to try it. I'll buy it at a high price.

K.Sabot

Is this a periodical alpha with certain times set to play?

Or is this an ongoing thing that will transition to CB?

Basically, if I bought this now will I regret it because I downloaded it and played for one hour before servers went down.

Jira

Yes. It's the crafting component of EQN.

Not really, crafting in EQN will be very in-depth considering what Smed has said about it in relation to SWG's crafting.

We don't know much about EQN, but I don't think mining and building will be a major aspect of the game.

Material gathering and housing will be quite a big part of EQN, more than people are expecting.

Basically, if I bought this now will I regret it because I downloaded it and played for one hour before servers went down.

On going from now till they shut the game down in X amount of years, server downtimes/crashes aside.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's ongoing. Obviously there may be downtime here and there, and there will most likely be server wipes, but the servers are up and will stay up until the game launches, I believe.

Not really, crafting in EQN will be very in-depth considering what Smed has said about it in relation to SWG's crafting.

Material gathering and housing will be quite a big part of EQN, more than people are expecting.

That sounds great, but do you have a source for this? Or are you the source (no idea who you are)?

The only thing I know about EQN is what they showed in the reveal, and it didn't look like they were very far along at all other than having an engine and a lot of nice art assets to use.

It's ongoing unless they bring the servers down to fix things or if they crash.

Jira

It's ongoing. Obviously there may be downtime here and there, and there will most likely be server wipes, but the servers are up and will stay up until the game launches, I believe.

That sounds great, but do you have a source for this? Or are you the source (no idea who you are)?

The only thing I know about EQN is what they showed in the reveal, and it didn't look like they were very far along at all other than having an engine and a lot of nice art assets to use.

Smedley tweeted about SWG having a very large influence on their crafting systems for EQN.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

The tiers that Landmark will soon have, will also be in Next when it launches. That includes the resources that can be gathered. It is also known that the adventuring class that is in Landmark will be transferable to Next. It was mentioned that we need higher tiered picks to be able to dig down further into each new tier.

Housing will need a land grant from a nearby city in order to build first, so it won't be anywhere as easy to have land in Next as it is for Landmark.

As far as crafting, we don't have much info on that. I don't really trust anything that Smedley talks about, he runs his mouth too much and a lot of what he says is often pipe dream shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The tiers that Landmark will soon have, will also be in Next when it launches. That includes the resources that can be gathered. It is also known that the adventuring class that is in Landmark will be transferable to Next. It was mentioned that we need higher tiered picks to be able to dig down further into each new tier.

Housing will need a land grant from a nearby city in order to build first, so it won't be anywhere as easy to have land in Next as it is for Landmark.

As far as crafting, we don't have much info on that. I don't really trust anything that Smedley talks about, he runs his mouth too much and a lot of what he says is often pipe dream shit.

Did they post all of this information on the EQN website? I haven't really checked it out since they launched the thing and were first doing polls.

Iadien

Did they post all of this information on the EQN website? I haven't really checked it out since they launched the thing and were first doing polls.

That stuff is all from interviews and the EQN panels that were at SOE Live.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Such suspense. I have to go to the dentist after work, which means I won't be home until 4 hours from now. Seems like the chances are good that the new server might be up sometime during that time.

For anyone claim hunting tonight, remember to log out and back in after zoning to refresh your view, otherwise you'll see ghost copies of the claims from the previous zones. (I think the word still hasn't really gotten around on that, so it'll work in your favour)

Edit: Let's try going for Pingo [Tier 3] on the new server first to try to get some coordinated settling going on. People probably aren't going to go for that one as much as the other T3 zones with more appealing names like Oasis.

BTW, here's what it means - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingo. Go Canada!

Such suspense. I have to go to the dentist after work, which means I won't be home until 4 hours from now. Seems like the chances are good that the new server might be up sometime during that time.

For anyone claim hunting tonight, remember to log out and back in after zoning to refresh your view, otherwise you'll see ghost copies of the claims from the previous zones. (I think the word still hasn't really gotten around on that, so it'll work in your favour)

The servers are coming down for maintenance in about 6 minutes, for approx 30 minutes. Hopefully that fixes that back (they haven't posted any patch notes as of yet)

Iadien

It's just not realistic for us to pursue 32-bit OS any longer.

Landmark (and EQN) will be 64-bit OS games *only*.

If your machine is a 32-bit OS and you purchased a Founder's Pack, then you only have two options:
a) Upgrade
b) Request a refund from Customer Service

We're sorry, but it's just not technically feasible for us to pursue 32-bit OS any longer. We apologize for the disappointment should you choose to not upgrade.

State of Alpha 2/3/14

Claims

We overestimated how many claims we thought would fit on a single world. So, now, we have too few worlds for the number of players we have in Alpha.

Solution: Spin up more worlds. As soon as humanly possible. The first such world (Serenity) will open tonight if possible. Tomorrow morning if we run into snags. We are acquiring hardware for more right now and will let you know ASAP when we’re ready to fire them up.

Also, the map and claim interfaces are practically impenetrable with the huge number of claims on a single Island. What looked decent when we had 10-15 claims looks horrific with hundreds.

Solution: We are completely overhauling the map and claims interface to make it extremely easy to understand at a glance.

Details:
o You will never see a Claim buffer again. We still HAVE claim buffers, but they’ll be invisible. You will have “claimable space” and “unclaimable” space. Claimable space is blue, and unclaimable is red.
o This is just a ‘paintover’ of the terrain on the map. No more 3D representations of buffer spaces. Those are dead, dead, dead.
o To place a claim, you just open the map, look for a blue section and go place your claim there.
o On the other hand, your claim boundaries will still be shown as a 3D box. That way you can see where the claim is located vertically. (up in the sky, on the surface, or below-ground)
o There’s a few more nice things getting added since we’re touching it, but those will be obvious when you see the new interface.

· We intend to get this improved interface up and running this week sometime.

So what else are we working on?

PLEASE NOTE: Just because something is not on this list does not mean we are unaware of it. There are many things to improve and add to this game, but this is the list of immediate stuff that we're attacking right now. :)

Server stability

o The memory leak fixes helped a LOT, but although they are smaller, there are still other memory leaks. Eliminating those will extend periods of time between Island resets.

Fixing Templates

o These don’t persist between logins right now. Which is terrible because that’s exactly the opposite of what’s intended. Fix coming ASAP.

Logout position needs to be maintained so that players don’t login to some bizarre position instead.

We’re setting things up so that having a tool equipped doesn’t force you to unequip it in order to use a building tool. (Should auto-de-equip instead.)

A means to get back “inside the world” if someone manages to get stuck outside of it

o Players are using the ADD block functionality to get out of the world. We’re creating a rescue plan for those folks as well as looking into ways to prevent that from happening.

Invert Y-Axis functionality

o Many folks are used to having reversed Y-axis controls and they get very turned around without it.

To prevent our voxel database from crashing under load, we are converting it to 64-bit processes. That will make our DB very stable, and we can then ensure that any other issues no longer have this variable in the discussion so we can narrow down any other “voxel loss” issues quickly.

Bug fixes for a few recipes and salvage rewards

The 20% resource potion is supposed to last two weeks but wears off when you log out right now. (Obviously, that’s much less useful.) We’re fixing this and restoring the effect to players.

More character customizations (art team)

More props (art team)

More biomes (art team)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay for 64-bit only focus.

By the way, Smokejumper on the Alpha forums is Dave Georgeson, right?

Iadien

Cool. I've heard some shit talked about him before, but he seems pretty damn awesome in my book.

I think people just think his personality is fake (it isn't). They also blame him for ruining Planetside 1, etc.

So like, I finally found a spot to claim but what do I do now? I can get more resources like copper and tin, but I'm not sure how to get higher tier resources. Anyone got some tips?

Trouble

Banned
So like, I finally found a spot to claim but what do I do now? I can get more resources like copper and tin, but I'm not sure how to get higher tier resources. Anyone got some tips?

Get to crafting, son. You need higher resource rating picks to mine better stuff, and there are 3 other crafting stations beside the stone forge. You'll need the sawmill one first after the stone forge.

The wikia page is starting to get good info now that the NDA is dropped.
http://landmark.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest_Next_Landmark_Wiki

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

First thing, gather a bunch of copper and tin and chop a bunch of wood. You'll need a lot of burled wood to make the better picks, especially.

Raticus79

Oh, wow, I have a second claim flag. Well, that makes the server rush a lot easier. I guess they must have messed up with that script and just gave flags to everyone...?

ZoddGutts

From some of the steams/vids I've seen looks like they'll need to readjust the values in the game. 1000 logs for an axe is a bit much.

K.Sabot

I guess this game still hasn't figured out how diagonals work yet.

Hopefully I can build a house that faces the corner of my plot rather than the sides.

Raymo

I guess this game still hasn't figured out how diagonals work yet.

Hopefully I can build a house that faces the corner of my plot rather than the sides.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The voxel system is still very much based on a cube-like grid like minecraft. They just smooth it over graphically. I'm sure you will be able to make a house diagonally by cheating with the line tool but the cube shapes will always be based on the grid.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't hold my breath. The voxel system is still very much based on a cube-like grid like minecraft. They just smooth it over graphically. I'm sure you will be able to make a house diagonally by cheating with the line tool but the cube shapes will always be based on the grid.

Indeed. In fact, you can turn of the voxel smoothing in game and get a very blocky world. It's pretty interesting to look at.

Raticus79

Oh man, this TweetDeck desktop app is way better than trying to keep an eye on twitter using their web site. Stuff just pops up instead of having to click to see what it is. Got a column set up for the #Landmark tag. Thanks whoever suggested a desktop app here - not sure if it was even the same one but this is working pretty well.

Now to slay some forests while I wait.

supergiz

Still nothing happening when I click play in the launcher. I wonder if they are working on this. The president of SOE said he brought it up to his tech team this morning but still nothing....

:(

So sad paid 99 dollars and can't even get past launcher.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still nothing happening when I click play in the launcher. I wonder if they are working on this. The president of SOE said he brought it up to his tech team this morning but still nothing....

Servers are down at the moment, which may be causing that.

I have had similar problems in the past, though. Does the game window pop up at all, or just no response? Have you tried "spam clicking" the play button?

vilmer_

Is your OS 64bit or 32bit?

J-Rzez

Honestly the transformation SoE has made in the past 10 years has been pretty damn huge. They're certainly not the same company that made EQ2 anymore.

They're the same company that also made Planetside 2, and the on going debacle that's been though. One of the worst handled well known IPs to date.

Iadien

Now Jeremy Soule is teasing: "More music being created today for Everquest Next Landmark. People might find a new theme around their castle #Landmark"

They're the same company that also made Planetside 2, and the on going debacle that's been though. One of the worst handled well known IPs to date.

The same team is making this game? EQ has and will probably always be SOE's main game.

J-Rzez

Now Jeremy Soule is teasing: "More music being created today for Everquest Next Landmark. People might find a new theme around their castle #Landmark"

The same team is making this game? EQ has and will probably always be SOE's main game.

Not the same team, sure. But same management, aka Smedley, who was "involved" he said and that has been a train wreck. So yeah, I would be very skeptical of how these games will be at launch, and most definitely the support after launch.

Iadien

Not the same team, sure. But same management, aka Smedley, who was "involved" he said and that has been a train wreck. So yeah, I would be very skeptical of how these games will be at launch, and most definitely the support after launch.

They're free. Either you like them or you don't, very little investment other than time is involved.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had the impression that Planetside 2 was pretty well liked. I had fun during the open beta.

Not really my type of game, though.

Iadien

I had the impression that Planetside 2 was pretty well liked. I had fun during the open beta.

Not really my type of game, though.

Yeah, I've had no issues with it, but there are people that do, obviously. That applies to any game though.

vilmer_

The fact that Jeremy Soule is this pumped to be making his classic grand themes is great news. The current composition alone has been ringing through my brain all night. I archived a couple of streams I did just because the music fit so perfectly with what was happening at the time. This guy is a pure genius.

Iadien

They played two songs during the live-stream on Friday. I saved them both. One is the EQ Theme reimagined.

terrisus

This is probably a really silly question, but it's one that popped to mind...
If I've never played Minecraft (I've never played Minecraft), am I going to have a difficult time picking up on all this crafting and mixing and whatnot?

Top Bottom