• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

Trouble

Banned
I present to you Persey's Mountaintop Retreat. Still very much a work in progress, but presentable enough and I'm done for the night.

Situated atop a medium sized peak on the lovely island of Vent, Courage.
eppEPsr.png

XE2BLHP.png

DA2c7si.png

yiIM9qb.png

3ZbkqFa.png

JdQvLv9.png
Gonna go hunt low level mats tomorrow so I can get more props in there, feel very barren at the moment.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Turns out my spot is pretty great for farming tungsten. There are lots of visible spots nearby, marble too.

Going to go for a massive sculpture, Firiona Vie style. Either a full statue or head, haven't decided yet. I do not have the smoothing tool yet. Its quality is going to be dubious. Here goes...

So what's the deal with this game then, is it going to be like a massive gold rush for good land and if you're not online 24/7 once eq next launches then you'll end up with no land or some shitty spot?

ie in wow loot terms it would be the equivalent of all the epic and blue loot being taken before you get there and all you can do is play casually for greens?

Raticus79

Statue skeleton roughed-in: (and I do mean rough)

A6pEJIt.png

Just trying to get proportions in the right ballpark. I've just been climbing around using my grappling hook and eyeballing it from the map screen. Anyone wanting to do these as a serious contender for sale should probably use some 3D software to render a 3D model to cubes and then use that as a reference to build in-game. I imagine something like that exists for Minecraft, probably could be adapted for this purpose.

Klyka

Banned
My little shed is coming along quite well,although I am not looking forward to all the grinding I have to do for better building tools and materials :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The sort of 'melted', craggy quality of non-box shapes and edges on smooth-ed shapes etc mentioned in some of the videos earlier - is that a side effect of voxel resolution? Probably not something that will change?

I guess they're kind of massaging the art style to fit in with that, making it a little painterly and 'rough', so they can get away with it more easily. But just wondering if it's a tech limitation with voxels?

lol51

The sort of 'melted', craggy quality of non-box shapes and edges on smooth-ed shapes etc mentioned in some of the videos earlier - is that a side effect of voxel resolution? Probably not something that will change?

I guess they're kind of massaging the art style to fit in with that, making it a little painterly and 'rough', so they can get away with it more easily. But just wondering if it's a tech limitation with voxels?

If you really don't like it you can disable Voxel Smoothing. It would cause the world to look like this though;

I am sure they will make updates to it, but I don't think we can ever get fine detail out of voxel smoothing tool. If we want *detailed* statues and such we will need to create them as props (crafting table) or 3d model them and find a way to get them in game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If you really don't like it you can disable Voxel Smoothing. It would cause the world to look like this though;

I am sure they will make updates to it, but I don't think we can ever get fine detail out of voxel smoothing tool. If we want *detailed* statues and such we will need to create them as props (crafting table) or 3d model them and find a way to get them in game.

Thanks. I guess it's difficult to belie what is ultimately a block based system. It's not that I don't like the 'melted' look of the smoothing as such, just curious about how it comes about, but your picture answers that.

On another note, the trees are not voxel based? Does that mean you can't - say - carve something into a tree using the delete tool? I noticed in an earlier vid that you can delete them altogether, but was wondering if you could engage with them otherwise with the voxel tools.

lol51

Thanks. I guess it's difficult to belie what is ultimately a block based system. It's not that I don't like the 'melted' look of the smoothing as such, just curious about how it comes about, but your picture answers that.

On another note, the trees are not voxel based? Does that mean you can't - say - carve something into a tree using the delete tool? I noticed in an earlier vid that you can delete them altogether, but was wondering if you could engage with them otherwise with the voxel tools.

The trees are props/objects like a barrel or a door would be. There can be interaction events with them such as : opening or chopping down. But you can't change the model of the object. To my knowledge there are 6 tree models (bud, young palm, thin, thick, large, and desert thorns). They all look the same and they repeat.

If you claim a plot of land you can delete the trees in it, you can build a treehouse around the tree, but you cannot actually change the texture of the tree or carve stuff into it. Maybe in the future they add leaves/moss for decor and you can create a voxel smoothed tree and place the leaves on it. Make it look like a real tree.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Nice!

It's shame we won't be able to keep any of this stuff after Alpha finishes, I think I'm going to start working on templates a bit more, as I believe that is one thing we can keep between Alpha / Beta and release.

I'm quite happy with a piece of land I got (on Courage - Crest). It's on the mountain face east of the portal. There was a person with a claim at the bottom, and another with one at the top, but this left enough room for one in between them (vertically). So my claim is the entire side of the mountain, which is awesome. There is apparently no buffer vertically, just horizontally.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
2 new EU servers coming up soon.

Also new music of some kind: David Georgeson ‏@DaveGeorgeson 5m

"Oooo! Surprise for you today when you log in after the feature update. Audio pleasantry that you might like. You'll see."

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

"Oooo! Surprise for you today when you log in after the feature update. Audio pleasantry that you might like. You'll see."

Got my kit picked up, claim deleted and ready for EU move just before they went down, even logged out at the exact spot I want to claim, but given it's alpha, we'll see if that works and I get it :D

How do you know it's music? It might be another video from Dave himself!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Thanks for the explanation lol51!

Yep, thank you. I am not in the alpha, but I am watching the thread and learning too. I imagine they will release more tree models in the future. I think props is the one area that will explode in the future as people make things.

K.Sabot

It's really sad to see 80% of these claims are still empty, feels like most people missed the point.

Also the game is silent as death, which sucks for an MMO.

It's really sad to see 80% of these claims are still empty, feels like most people missed the point.

Also the game is silent as death, which sucks for an MMO.

It's taking me a long f'ing time to "craft" the tools to build stuff.

It's not even worth doing any type of building until you have at least the selection tool

Iadien

SOE wants you to show off your claims:

Hey y'all,

We are SO impressed by what we've been seeing. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your creativity. Many of us have been retweeting things we've seen, but we'd like to take it to the next level.

We're planning on adding a Player Creations section to our website that will feature videos that are submitted via Player Direct as well as screenshots that are shared on the Official Forums.

If you have videos and/or screenshots, please please please submit them through these channels! We want to show off your work. Make sure when you share them (especially screens), you let us know what name you'd like to be known as (real name, character name, forum handle, etc.).

If you see any awesome screens/videos, encourage the creator to get in contact with us. We can't accept third party submissions. Or just bring it up to our attention and we'll try to get ahold of them as well.

railGUN

Banned
I'm building a big Saloon too, western style. I saw another one on Twitter today. I guess the desert just inspires that design.

Azzurri

A lot of these buildings are amazing, it kinda reminds me of SWG with player cities. I hope EQN does this to a certain extent.

Burt

Worth getting in at the $50 pack or whatever it is? Sorry for the stupid broad question but my power's out and hunting for impressions is a hassle on the phone

Iadien

Haha, Smedley liked that screenshot.

Worth getting in at the $50 pack or whatever it is? Sorry for the stupid broad question but my power's out and hunting for impressions is a hassle on the phone

I think it's worth it, and if it isn't your thing or you run into issues running the game or whatever. You can request a refund.

Anyone else having troubles joining?

I get to 89% (when I am trying to open the game after I click "Play" in the launcher), and then it stays there for maybe 10 seconds, then crashes and takes me to an EQN page that says "G99 Error."

Anyone have any idea what is happening?

datamage

Anyone else having troubles joining?

I get to 89% (when I am trying to open the game after I click "Play" in the launcher), and then it stays there for maybe 10 seconds, then crashes and takes me to an EQN page that says "G99 Error."

Anyone have any idea what is happening?

I'm pretty sure the servers are down for maintenance/updates right now.

Iadien

Servers are down for a patch.

Patch notes:

• Burled wood planks now require only 60 burled wood logs to craft (down from 100). Some people may wonder why this gets top billing on today’s update notes… Other people completely understand.
• We have completely overhauled the claim placement. The previous version and display were difficult to understand when an island became saturated with claims and finding an open spot that was available was almost impossible. We will continue to iterate on the new version but wanted to get it out to everyone to help them find open claims in the world.
• In order to fix an issue with people generating infinite resources, we now will only allow people to build outside of their claims using dirt. No mud pies, please.
• The Salvage button on the UI has changed! It now works as a Delete Item area. Simply drag and drop any item from your inventory to this part of the window and it will prompt you to delete the item. When Salvaging gets added back to the game, it will be part of crafting and will have to find a new home. You can no longer drag and drop items in the world to delete them.
• Fixed an issue that could send you to random parts of an island when teleporting between islands or worlds.
• If you activate a tool on the action bar, it will now appropriately highlight.
• The Founder’s Pickaxe will now keep the particles with it rather than letting them trail behind sometimes
• You can now type numbers (instead of having to use the up/down buttons) to set the desired number when splitting stacks of items or when crafting multiple items.
• The compass on the map now rotates to show you the correct orientation of the world.
• You can no longer delete a claim unless you have room in your inventory for all the items on it and the claim flag that will be returned to you.
• Fixed an issue where placing voxels could accidentally force a character “outside” of the world.
• Items dropped anywhere on the Hero window will now auto-equip in the appropriate slot.
• Bringing up the map no longer unequips your harvesting tool.
• There is now music on the loading screen and in character create/select.
• Fixed an issue that would cause you to “glide” up slopes when you jumped when running up a steep hill.
• Escape should now close UI windows as intended.
• The displayed count of items in a stack will now update as you open/consume those items.
• “Grid Mode” now affects healing, smoothing, painting and use of the line tool.
• Autorun (Numlock) will now turn off if you attempt to move forward or backward.
• Crafting categories should no longer collapse while crafting.
• People can no longer harvest trees on a claim. Tree houses are once again safe!
• The grappling hook will no longer glow at night.
• Props should now work correctly with add/delete/pickup and undo/redo.
• Claims will now automatically template themselves when you delete them. This can fail if you already have a large amount of voxels templated. Known issues: This template will include procedural props and if you have too many templates, it may exceed the amount allowed to be templated and fail. These will be fixed as soon as we can.
• We’ve added some functionality to the Evac to Safety command from the Main Menu. If you get stuck on someone’s claim without any way to remove yourself (pesky pit traps), if you use this command it will move you to a nearby location that should be safe!

Servers are down for a patch.

• Fixed an issue that would cause you to “glide” up slopes when you jumped when running up a steep hill.
Patch notes:

Hmm...does this mean we can no longer get up super-steep hills easily? My claim is in the middle of a mountain face...

Raticus79

> In order to fix an issue with people generating infinite resources, we now will only allow people to build outside of their claims using dirt. No mud pies, please.

Exploit's fixed! I was wondering how they were going to tackle that one. This is pretty simple and effective.

That person did a great job on the mini town. Nailed that wild west frontier feel.

Trouble

Banned
• Burled wood planks now require only 60 burled wood logs to craft (down from 100). Some people may wonder why this gets top billing on today’s update notes… Other people completely understand.

I envy those who don't understand.

K.Sabot

I spent 3 hours with my mouse button taped down and a giant tree that never despawned, I know the feel.

I have to build a complex staircase system out of burled wood for the interior of my project, so this doesn't help me.

Wish they just adjusted the drop rate.

KaOTiK

Banned

Thank you!

My friend and I last night harvested around 5000 burled wood last night and still need a bunch more, at least now we wont go as insane :D

Top Bottom