• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

RSchmitz

Did my first Daily thingie today and I scored a -12 and placed 7th out of 500. Everyone at the top of the leaderboard played the hole at least 10 times and I beat almost all of them on my first try.

You really should only get one shot.

Or a hole in one on a par 4.

That number isn't for the day. It's cumulative.

Meier

I wish the caddy actually served a purpose. I have lost track of how many balls I've hit perfectly that whacked a tree or something. It seems the actual warning about potentially hitting something is one in a hundred for me.

Griss

Had fun playing with you guys. This was a rare thread where I was one of the top posters by post count, I really enjoyed it. PS4 is put away now in safe storage for the hurricane which arrives in 14 hours for us here.

The power will be out for a while (whole country is going dark at 2pm EST tomorrow intentionally), but the second it's back I'll be back on the virtual course. Keep the thread going in the meantime lol...

Had fun playing with you guys. This was a rare thread where I was one of the top posters by post count, I really enjoyed it. PS4 is put away now in safe storage for the hurricane which arrives in 14 hours for us here.

The power will be out for a while (whole country is going dark at 2pm EST tomorrow intentionally), but the second it's back I'll be back on the virtual course. Keep the thread going in the meantime lol...
Wow bro, stay safe!

505zoom

Yup, sometimes I wonder if the people complaining have played golf before.

Current +1.2 GHIN here and I am complaining. How much golf do you play?

ETA: It's not about anything other than the fact that this wasn't a mechanic in the previous games. I don't like a RNG push/pull attached to my perfect impact shots, which sometimes drastically influences a shot on a tight hole. It wasn't needed before dating back to Hot Shots 1, and I don't feel like it was needed here in this game. If you can figure out all of the variables between lie, wind, slope, and then execute on the power and impact bar, you should be rewarded. Figuring it all out and calculating it properly, then hitting a PI shot and seeing the sway dot off the chart left, only to watch your shot miss way left is pretty frustrating for people that were very high level on the old games. I think most of us that are "complaining" about it feel the same way as I do about it.

Not a big fan of golf games generally but picked this up after liking the Vita game and some of the Mario Golf games.

Really enjoying it so far only thing I would say is that it feels a bit grindy to unlock some of the courses.

I also wish there were more gimmick orientated courses in the game. Wouldn't mind some mini golf courses also, some of the mario games had that. I think even some of the older Everybody's Golf games had it too?
Yeah the first hotshots had awesome minigolf that I used to play with my friends all the time.

The final VS character that triggers the end game credits is a pushover. He O.B one hole twice in a row, and missed some easy putts. Beat him with just pars or birdies after 6 holes, expected better.

The AI for the VS characters seems highly volatile meaning they often nail an approach but they also miss perfect impact by miles sometimes, and get into big trouble on the canyon course.

ETA: It's not about anything other than the fact that this wasn't a mechanic in the previous games. I don't like a RNG push/pull attached to my perfect impact shots, which sometimes drastically influences a shot on a tight hole. It wasn't needed before dating back to Hot Shots 1, and I don't feel like it was needed here in this game. If you can figure out all of the variables between lie, wind, slope, and then execute on the power and impact bar, you should be rewarded. Figuring it all out and calculating it properly, then hitting a PI shot and seeing the sway dot off the chart left, only to watch your shot miss way left is pretty frustrating for people that were very high level on the old games. I think most of us that are "complaining" about it feel the same way as I do about it.
Two of my best friends growing up owned courses so I used to play a lot. I get that it's annoying that it wasn't in past games but saying it drastically affects your shot is a huge overstatement. Like I sain before, it's far more annoying not being able to hit woods from the sand or rough

wapplew

The final VS character that triggers the end game credits is a pushover. He O.B one hole twice in a row, and missed some easy putts. Beat him with just pars or birdies after 6 holes, expected better.

The AI for the VS characters seems highly volatile meaning they often nail an approach but they also miss perfect impact by miles sometimes, and get into big trouble on the canyon course.

Daily VS character is way harder. Eagle all the time.

surrogate

As bad as that is, it is more infuriating to me to see a bunny get a dead center impact and the way using backspin is like playing Russian roulette. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose game was built around backspin. When you are better off hitting a no spin bunny than a super backspin PI, you know something is wrong.

505zoom

...I'm fairly confident that it is consistency and correlation that is desired. Hit PI get minimal spray, hit the pink get a bit more, miss the pink get even more is the way it should be. Spray should increase by how much you miss PI, not a roll of the dice.

Exactly. I see no difference in the RNG between where I was when I started versus now (average +13 control). If you have maxed control and still get perfect impact shots that are off the scale pushed or pulled, it's just lame. I never played Hot Shots to actually simulate golf. it's an arcade golfer that should reward high level players and those that have maxed their stats.

As for the game being too easy, it is because of several factors, and the inconsistent spray is one of them. The lack of an impact penalty for hitting long, the greens being much easier, and the backdoor stat causing shots/putts that would have never dropped in earlier games to fall in the hole are some of the others.

I'll also add that tornado/mega cups are probably the biggest one. I've played real golf with literally hundreds of people. The ones that are really good JUST FIGURE OUT how to get the ball into that 4.25" hole. It doesn't matter if they can hit it 320 yards, if they can't pitch/chip/putt, then I'll beat them every single time (as a "short" hitter that only pokes it out there around the 280 mark on average).

As for this game... in it's previous versions, I'd get an advantage because I knew the course, knew how to read the lie/slope/wind, and could execute my shot on the shot bar. It seems like they are trying to use RNG to punish people that actually properly figure out a shot, to make it more fair for people that can't get the ball in a 4" cup.

Nobody wanted to love this game more than I did, but at this point I just can't.

I'd argue that I did, and just know that there are a lot of us that are disappointed by this. I've played this series since the OG game which is also right around the time I started playing real golf. I love Hot Shots and I love pretty much all things golf. The RNG in this one is super frustrating, I wish it wasn't there... but, the game is still awesome. They're doing some cool new stuff with it like letting you just break free and go and cast a line while you're on the course, or just roam around out there in 3rd person. They are definitely testing some shit with this one.

As bad as that is, it is more infuriating to me to see a bunny get a dead center impact and the way using backspin is like playing Russian roulette. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose game was built around backspin. When you are better off hitting a no spin bunny than a super backspin PI, you know something is wrong.
I have never had backspin cancelled out on a PI because of rng. Did that happen to you? Because if so, that's not cool

Exactly. I see no difference in the RNG between where I was when I started versus now (average +13 control). If you have maxed control and still get perfect impact shots that are off the scale pushed or pulled, it's just lame. I never played Hot Shots to actually simulate golf. it's an arcade golfer that should reward high level players and those that have maxed their stats.

I'll also add that tornado/mega cups are probably the biggest one. I've played real golf with literally hundreds of people. The ones that are really good JUST FIGURE OUT how to get the ball into that 4.25" hole. It doesn't matter if they can hit it 320 yards, if they can't pitch/chip/putt, then I'll beat them every single time (as a "short" hitter that only pokes it out there around the 280 mark on average).

As for this game... in it's previous versions, I'd get an advantage because I knew the course, knew how to read the lie/slope/wind, and could execute my shot on the shot bar. It seems like they are trying to use RNG to punish people that actually properly figure out a shot, to make it more fair for people that can't get the ball in a 4" cup.

I'd argue that I did, and just know that there are a lot of us that are disappointed by this. I've played this series since the OG game which is also right around the time I started playing real golf. I love Hot Shots and I love pretty much all things golf. The RNG in this one is super frustrating, I wish it wasn't there... but, the game is still awesome. They're doing some cool new stuff with it like letting you just break free and go and cast a line while you're on the course, or just roam around out there in 3rd person. They are definitely testing some shit with this one.
How is rng punishing those of us that read lie /slope/Wind etc when it affects everybody. You still have a major advantage reading all those factors and knowing the course over someone who doesn't. Look at the yellow box and know your shot will land somewhere in it. Plan accordingly. I haven't seen one hook or slice yet from rng

505zoom

Two of my best friends growing up owned courses so I used to play a lot.

Your quoted comment was basically saying you thought those of us complaining didn't play real golf. I can totally appreciate that your buddies owned courses, but to minimize what we're saying and brush us off as people that never played the real game is just wrong.

I get that it's annoying that it wasn't in past games but saying it drastically affects your shot is a huge overstatement. Like I sain before, it's far more annoying not being able to hit woods from the sand or rough

No, it isn't a huge overstatement. I have hit perfect drives on courses 3/4/5, that went into OB/water/sand because of this issue. Those shots straight up would not have been where they were without this new sway mechanic. Again, when you are a old high level player playing under these new conditions it is very frustrating. RNG has it's place in gaming, this is not one of them.

505zoom

That's the part that gets me and I know you're one of the folks here that feels the same as I do. I'll have a brainfart shot where I barely get pink and it's dead center on sway. Then I stripe a drive PI and it's off the scale right. I hate RNG.

505zoom

How is rng punishing those of us that read lie /slope/Wind etc when it affects everybody. You still have a major advantage reading all those factors and knowing the course over someone who doesn't. Look at the yellow box and know your shot will land somewhere in it. Plan accordingly. I haven't seen one hook or slice yet from rng

Hmmm. Ok I am asking the following honestly.

1. What is the top level course you have opened?

2. How many of the old Hot Shots games have you played?

3. What is your average club levels?

Because honestly, if you really haven't seen even one bad shot from RNG then I feel that you haven't been paying attention or aren't very far in the game.

As for your first point of how it can change the game... I could misread a shot and aim too far left, then the RNG sway dot pushes my shot right. Ending in a perfect shot. My opponent calculates it all perfect and his sway dot was off the scale left. He ends up in the bunker. I'm putting for eagle from 8 feet and he's trying to chip in. Still seem fair?

Your quoted comment was basically saying you thought those of us complaining didn't play real golf. I can totally appreciate that your buddies owned courses, but to minimize what we're saying and brush us off as people that never played the real game is just wrong.

Not quite. I was simply wondering how many did actually play a lot since the accuracy many are after doesn't really exist in the real world. There are lot more variables than PI and I think the way it is now , helps to simulate that.

No, it isn't a huge overstatement. I have hit perfect drives on courses 3/4/5, that went into OB/water/sand because of this issue. Those shots straight up would not have been where they were without this new sway mechanic. Again, when you are a old high level player playing under these new conditions it is very frustrating. RNG has it's place in gaming, this is not one of them.
Can't say I've had the same issue and that's why I was genuinely after some vids. I've never missed a fairway or green because of rng. when playing a hole the way it was intended and factoring in the yellow landing zone.

Because honestly, if you really haven't seen even one bad shot from RNG then I feel that you haven't been paying attention or aren't very far in the game.

As for your first point of how it can change the game... I could misread a shot and aim too far left, then the RNG sway dot pushes my shot right. Ending in a perfect shot. My opponent calculates it all perfect and his sway dot was off the scale left. He ends up in the bunker. I'm putting for eagle from 8 feet and he's trying to chip in. Still seem fair?
I just unlocked the custom clubs and have played HSG since the first one. Interestingly you said you were getting into golf at that time and I was quitting due to the stress. I played HSG and Waialae to enjoy golf the way I wasn't able to anymore at that point in my life, lol.I usually factor in the yellow box and take more or less club or fade/draw to negate hazards that might be within it.

TFGB

My club only goes 362 feet. Is there some trick to reaching the green other than having more power? Thanks.

Hmm it might not be enough to get to the green. If you have a strong tailwind and you can bounce it on the water you might be able to? If not, then at least you should be able to get close enough for some Albatross chances? :/

Not that it negates your point but I would rather be chipping it in for those extra points considering how easy they are.

505zoom

Can't say I've had the same issue and that's why I was genuinely after some vids. I've never missed a fairway or green because of rng. when playing a hole the way it was intended and factoring in the yellow landing zone.

My old streaming/capture setup is gone because I am under construction here at my place. Getting close with it though. All I can say is the shots are happening. You only need to look at the sway dot just after impact to see it.

My old streaming/capture setup is gone because I am under construction here at my place. Getting close with it though. All I can say is the shots are happening. You only need to look at the sway dot just after impact to see it.
I see the dot but it only seems to result in a push or pull a few ft one way or the other on my woods and has little to no effect on my irons and wedges. I know it's there but I can't say it's ruined a hole for me.

505zoom

I just unlocked the custom clubs and have played HSG since the first one.

Ok then as others have reported here and on reddit it doesn't matter how high you get, there's no noticeable difference.

Interestingly you said you were getting into golf at that time and I was quitting due to the stress.

Damn, you need to play golf with me and my friends then. It's pretty chill. I have a buddy that's a legit +5 GHIN that refuses to tour and he's the most most chill guy I can imagine. Sprays his teeshots everywhere and can get up and down from mars. What is so stressful to make you want to get out of the game?

I played HSG and Waialae to enjoy golf the way I wasn't able to anymore at that point in my life, lol.I usually factor in the yellow box and take more or less club or fade/draw to negate hazards that might be within it.

The yellow box is a guide for perfect impact. It does not include those times where it decides to hit you with off the charts sway RNG. Then you're screwed.

505zoom

Also need to add as a non reply that the P2W stuff is nothing and the issue with RNG is everything. They have fundamentally changed the game with it, and I think it's a bad move.

Old shots were good if you figured it all out and executed. Now it's a RNG fest. Not great for old fans of the series.

The P2W stuff is beat by just roaming around on the online courses to get gems for a few days. No comparison.

Ok then as others have reported here and on reddit it doesn't matter how high you get, there's no noticeable difference.

Damn, you need to play golf with me and my friends then. It's pretty chill. I have a buddy that's a legit +5 GHIN that refuses to tour and he's the most most chill guy I can imagine. Sprays his teeshots everywhere and can get up and down from mars. What is so stressful to make you want to get out of the game?

The yellow box is a guide for perfect impact. It does not include those times where it decides to hit you with off the charts sway RNG. Then you're screwed.
I was kinda forced into golf and competing as a kid. I played almost every day and it was affecting me socially and academically. I couldn't never really deal with the mental shit when I was young. When I play now with friends it's chill and fun but I'm only out 10 times a year or so now and use GI clubs for the most part

Setzer

Anyone else having issues doing online stuff? I keep getting a "Server Connection Failed" message every time I try to do Online Open Course or Turf Wars. I've tried re-starting the game several times and even turned off/on my PS4. Online works in everything else and I can even connect to the PlayStation store just fine. I'm talking with a friend who is able to connect to the online modes without any issues.

505zoom

Why japanese players always have tiny girls main characters?

It's not just the Japanese players. It's feeding off the trope of a high level player beating you with an avatar that you wouldn't expect to get beaten by. I used Baby Daisy in kart for the same reason.

505zoom

I was kinda forced into golf and competing as a kid. I played almost every day and it was affecting me socially and academically. I couldn't never really deal with the mental shit when I was young.

Really sorry to hear that, and I send my apologies for bringing it up.

When I play now with friends it's chill and fun but I'm only out 10 times a year or so now and use GI clubs for the most part

Hit me up for a hookup on clubs. I can't send a PM since I'm a 4+ year junior, but you can find my username elsewhere on the web and see I'm solid when it comes to this stuff.

505zoom

Anyone else having issues doing online stuff? I keep getting a "Server Connection Failed" message every time I try to do Online Open Course or Turf Wars. I've tried re-starting the game several times and even turned off/on my PS4. Online works in everything else and I can even connect to the PlayStation store just fine. I'm talking with a friend who is able to connect to the online modes without any issues.

Testing now....

wapplew

Online is unstable for me too. Always fail to upload my score after 9 hole in open course.

505zoom

The recycle part of the custom clubs actually seems cool to me. I spend a lot of time over on GolfWRX checking out new gear and it's amazing how much the tech side still keeps pushing year after year.

Irons are the current thing since woods are all maxed out in the real world, so it's cool to see the manufacturers making irons crazy now. Taylormade is now making irons that have the same launch angle and peak height, that go a full club or club and a half farther. Strange new world.

Bottom line is all of us like to tinker in the top end. I like the idea that my clubs could still be better when I recycle.

Spacedeck

Neo Member

I can't access anything that requires online :( I'm in UK but I've heard some parts of America also having issues.

505zoom

Can you explain how that works please?

When you beat the game you get the custom set. You can use gems (that you acquire by either scavenging or buying) to upgrade the custom set. Over time the custom set wears out and you need to to refresh it. This calls for more gems. When you refresh there is a chance that the new clubs will be better than the old ones.

Ostinatto

When you beat the game you get the custom set. You can use gems (that you acquire by either scavenging or buying) to upgrade the custom set. Over time the custom set wears out and you need to to refresh it. This calls for more gems. When you refresh there is a chance that the new clubs will be better than the old ones.

i have recycled a 11/10 upgraded custom clubs, and now the clubs went 0/10. what should i do?

Top Bottom