• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone's out and I'm at home. Should I just go see a movie on my own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Seriously, this sucks. All my friends are out somewhere today. I'm thinking of just staying in and watching The Last Samurai on DVD (I bought it used today for 64 cents...had a $20 gift certificate), or actually going out and watching either The Village, The Bourne Supremacy or Harold and Kumar. I've always sort of wanted to go to a movie on my own. Hrm.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't mind seeing movies on my own, but i generally won't do so on a friday or saturday night. it feels a bit weird.

calder

When you get old, like me, you start liking going to movies alone. My friends don't always want to see the same movies, my wife NEVER EVER wants to see the movies I like (and if she does go her profound unenjoyment is a massive downer) and sometimes it's nice to just grab a quick lunch, see a movie, and leave without having to worry about meeting ppl or arguing about where to go eat etc etc.

Keep in mind, I am very old.

Ryu

drohne said:
i don't mind seeing movies on my own, but i generally won't do so on a friday or saturday night. it feels a bit weird.

Agreed. If I have to see a movie alone on day 1, it'll be a matinee, perhaps even a morning show. I saw I, Robot, Catwoman, and The Manchurian Candidate on my own. I saw Spider-Man 2, Bourne Supremacy, and Harry Potter with friends. There are other movies I only watch with my girlfriend also like The Terminal, Garden State, and probably the Notebook when she gets back from vacation. It really does vary. Movies are too expensive for my friends to waste any money on if they're not interested at all.

Alucard

Banned
I'm 23 and my main dilemma right now is whether or not I want to drop the $9 for the movie since I should be saving right now. I'm going to a friend's bbq tomorrow too, which should be plenty of good socializing time for me. I need to decide within the next 10 minutes. :p

Ryu

Just go see Bourne. It's a movie that you can watch on your own and not be ashamed you saw it on your own (as there's nothing to discuss afterwards -- it just wrarps up nicely).

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I spent tonight reading a collection of Asimov I, Robot short stories that came free with Stuff magazine. Oh I had my Lindsey Lohan initiation and watched Mean Girls. I'm late to the party but her milkbags are mesmerising, and I'm usually a butt man.
So that's my Xtreme Hardcore night in to the Maxxx!

I rarely go to the movies, the state of the movie going experience is terrible. People talk non-stop, stupid fucking parents bring their 9 children with them when it's a movie geared towards adults or an opening weekend, people don't turn off their phones, and so on. I only go to the movies if it's something I'm dying to see, which is a rare occassion. I can't watch movies with people anymore, because people are fucking annoying. strangers and friends, just leave me the fuck alone and let me watch my movie.

Alucard

Banned
Ahh, screw it. I have to be up early to go look at some used cars with my dad anyways. Looks like a night in for me. I think I'll watch a matinee or two on my own this week.

nomoment

Alucard said:
Ahh, screw it. I have to be up early to go look at some used cars with my dad anyways. Looks like a night in for me. I think I'll watch a matinee or two on my own this week.
Good call.

Weekday matinees are okay, but as drohne said, seeing a movie alone on a Friday or Saturday night is a bit weird.

Miguel

Do it. I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. Don't really feel like calling my friend to go. Don't want to be around anyone really. I just want to go see either Anchorman or I,Robot.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Miguel said:
Do it. I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. Don't really feel like calling my friend to go. Don't want to be around anyone really. I just want to go see either Anchorman or I,Robot.

You didn't even call....

Nothing wrong with seeing a movie by yourself. I saw both Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind by myself in theatres because none of my GUNS ACTION BOOM MOVIE friends wanted to see them, and I'm glad I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom